Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Here is the latest Little Bytham video, filmed by @Tony Wright

Enjoy! (quality will improve as the video processes)

great stuff, thank you for posting it, I don't think you could get a more realistic view to the real ECML in model form than what I have just watched.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Headstock said:

PIPE.jpg

Ah, yes. Got a few of these to build - cotswold kits I think. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. (The real thing that is, not the Cotswold kits!).

Edited by Clem

Thanks for all the positive comments to Tom's video so far.

I have one or two 'criticisms' (of myself!). 

I should have turned the radio off in some of the shots (it was an interesting debate), and the 3F on the M&GNR sounds like a chainsaw! 

I think Tom's done a wonderful job of editing it, so my most grateful thanks to him. 

And yes, that Deltic should have been going faster, even if it's out of time, if not place. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clem said:

Ah, yes. Got a few of these to build - cotswold kits I think. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. (The real thing that is, not the Cotswold kits!).

I've built a few of the cotswolds kits for the LNER pipe, you can get away with the BR copy too (Parkside Bachmann) as above. B 74O652 is quite early, black patch on unpainted wood.

46 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Just watched this. Excellent. Thank you both for making it available to us. One or two things occurred to me while watching this. My memory is not good for what happened yesterday, let alone sixty odd years ago, but my memory suggests that there was much more freight generally then, and though particular wagon types are not clear, one thing that always stood out to me when passing a freight train was the huge variety of heights of wagons. Most trains other than the obvious block trains appeared to consist of a complete jumble of vans, opens of a range of body heights, and other wagon types, giving a much greater range of 'ups and downs' when following the tops as the train passed. Is my memory mistaken, or do other geriatrics like me remember that?

The other thing that jumped out at me was following the telegraph wires as the sagged between each pair of poles, rising at the poles, giving a slightly hypnotic effect as you followed them up and down from a passing train. They were quite prominent. I presume that to model that would make access to the track, etc for any running repairs too difficult.

Thanks again for a wonderful video.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd,

The WTT we used in compiling the sequence actually had far fewer freights (in daytime hours) than the proportion we have on the model LB. For most of the time it was long distance, long passenger trains that were passing through............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

45 minutes ago, landscapes said:

great stuff, thank you for posting it, I don't think you could get a more realistic view to the real ECML in model form than what I have just watched.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

'I don't think you could get a more realistic view to the real ECML in model form than what I have just watched.'

Until another video of Retford is made! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Just watched this. Excellent. Thank you both for making it available to us. One or two things occurred to me while watching this. My memory is not good for what happened yesterday, let alone sixty odd years ago, but my memory suggests that there was much more freight generally then, and though particular wagon types are not clear, one thing that always stood out to me when passing a freight train was the huge variety of heights of wagons. Most trains other than the obvious block trains appeared to consist of a complete jumble of vans, opens of a range of body heights, and other wagon types, giving a much greater range of 'ups and downs' when following the tops as the train passed. 

An observation witnessed by many a study of historical photos for my chosen prototype, too young for many of the grouping age vehicles but remember well single load stock into the early 80's ahem, 42 yr old pup here.

I would say the representations present on the video do follow the prototype of "up's and downs" well. Very subtle at 1:76.2 mind but the lineside footage captures the variety very well.

I've got half way through and shall watch the rest tomorrow.

Couldn't see any of the dints/bashes in the LMS period lll stock mentioned on the M&GN service a few weeks back Sir (or generations ago if we go by page numbers), despite both sides ostensibly being filmed. Reversed for offside filming?

Nice collaborative work both in filming and 3D modeling on the whole.

Congratulations on your pride, it is truly justified.

P.s. welcome to a new millennium.

I didn't realise I'd pop the 2000 cherry when I wrote the above....

Edited by Iain Mac
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I've built a few of the cotswolds kits for the LNER pipe, you can get away with the BR copy too (Parkside Bachmann) as above. B 74O652 is quite early, black patch on unpainted wood.

Unpainted wood. That's how I remember them.

1 minute ago, Iain Mac said:

An observation witnessed by many a study of historical photos for my chosen prototype, too young for many of the grouping age vehicles but remember well single load stock into the early 80's ahem, 42 yr old pup here.

I would say the representations present on the video do follow the prototype of "up's and downs" well. Very subtle at 1:76.2 mind but the lineside footage captures the variety very well.

I've got half way through and shall watch the rest tomorrow.

Couldn't see any of the dints/bashes in the LMS period lll stock mentioned on the M&GN service a few weeks back Sir (or generations ago if we go by page numbers), despite both sides ostensibly being filmed. Reversed for offside filming?

Nice collaborative work both in filming and 3D modeling on the whole.

Congratulations on your pride, it is truly justified.

Thanks Iain,

I was very selective with the carriages on the MR/M&GNR bit. I've been rumbled.

Congratulations to you, by the way. You've started the 2,000th page of this thread!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Clem said:

Unpainted wood. That's how I remember them.

Cool,

that's a really nice little detail.

I dug out some of the images of the GC Gresley hybrids. I have better quality ones but this shows the whole family in one train. At a glance, your average Jo might mistake them for standard 51' 1 1/2'' stock. As a model, the larger size would stand out quite well. The GC style underframes are more noticeable and definitely not Gresley bogies.

A5 Marylebone2 (2).JPG

Edited by Headstock
add space
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not just 2000 pages but counting down to 50,000 posts. If the counter is right there are 20, or make that 19 to go.....

Sadly it will probably be some Aussie contributor who passes that milestone as I shall hopefully be tucked up in bed fast asleep when it happens.

I wouldn't cheat by doing another 19 one word posts!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Clem said:

Thanks your take on GC carriages in the 50s. It matches what other folk have said. I'd like to have a go at doing one in teak. I've ordered a Bill Bedford one.

I'm modelling West of Nottingham. Fictional station between Basford and Kimberley. I regret not doing one of the stations or even Awsworth Juunction. But I'm too far down the road now.

The photo on the cover of the Foxline Publishing book linked to below shouldn't be entirely trusted as it's a coloured b&w image (colouring done by Larry Goddard if memory serves), but there are ample black and white photos in this book of this and similar trains to confirm the mix of liveries as valid:

https://stellabooks.com/books/ian-r-smith/manchester-london-road-to-hayfield-scenes-from-the-past-45/1812620

Simon

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Not just 2000 pages but counting down to 50,000 posts. If the counter is right there are 20, or make that 19 to go.....

Sadly it will probably be some Aussie contributor who passes that milestone as I shall hopefully be tucked up in bed fast asleep when it happens.

What about 18?

Now.

I'll chip another few in if it helps?

Edited by Iain Mac
17 even.
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I dug out some of the images of the GC Gresley hybrids. I have better quality ones but this shows the whole family in one train. At a glance, your average Jo might mistake them for standard 51' 1 1/2'' stock. As a model, the larger size would stand out quite well. The GC style underframes are more noticeable and definitely not Gresley bogies.

No mistaking that underframe. I have no pictures of them working on the GN line around Nottingham, mores the pity. It's such an interesting blend of style.

1 hour ago, Clem said:

No mistaking that underframe. I have no pictures of them working on the GN line around Nottingham, mores the pity. It's such an interesting blend of style.

They were around on my North South axis rather than your East west. When they were running as individual units though, they might like to take a Detour. What You need is a horde of ex NER 49' T (8), they were all over the shop.

have a look at this awesome Not Gran - Ord, second pic down. Ex NER T (8) / ex GCR BT (7) / Thompson CL (3-4) / Twin CL (2-5) - BT (6) / LMS Vanfit. 

http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/recording-the-railway/grantham-railway-galleries/photographs-from-1949-to-the-1960s-by-humphrey-platts/

P.S. The thirteenth image down is your steel twin set, noted for its permanently attached BY (Bird brain van)

Edited by Headstock
add P.S.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Possibly!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, SRman said:

I can't see a post count. Could someone enlighten me, please?

The short answer is to go back to the topics index page where it tells you how many replies there have been - add one to that and you get the total number of posts. Yours was 49987 +1 = 49988.

The long answer is to multiply the number of previous pages by 25 then add the number of posts on the current page. (1999 x 25) + 13 = 49988.

• Informative/Useful 1

2000 pages - remarkable. This second thousand has been generated very quickly too. The contributions, modelling photos and craic are superb. Thank you all; this thread is top of my list for visiting when I log on, and I suspect that I'm not alone in that :D 

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Maybe!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony LB is a very good model of part of the ECML. Grantham has a lot more in the way of things to do (shunting, engine changes) etc so both should be seen as great interpretations of the ECML..just as Retford will be.

The video looks good.. well done with the filming Tony and well done for editing it all Tom.

Baz

• Thanks 1