Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, PMP said:

As part of what have you done during the past few months there’s a link here from a project to Mr@Tony Wright A couple of years back I had the pleasure of visiting LB.
789C63B4-F599-4F88-9C12-BF40EC44E177.jpeg.fd324520e5beeaea355b07e0347e6890.jpeg

Whilst there I acquired an 02 and this week it’s been going through the man cave with renumbering from LNER to BR and a new chimney. The chimney is one of those little changes that changes the whole character of the model, and really satisfying. This is it waiting for the board prior to getting fully weathered.

Something else you could do would be to replace the short handrails on the left tender side as shown in the photo with long ones. The model has the correct long ones on the other side of the tender!

Andrew

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

These locos have their axleboxes fitted outside the frames rather than inside, they aren't very visible as you suggest but they are provided in the kit as overlays. I'll have to check what the instructions actually say buI I have been in contact with Daniel to offer some advice.

Instructions for the NBL/Paxman kits duly altered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

In his preface to Keep the Aspidistra Flying, George Orwell drew attention to the absence of the semi-colon from the novel; he declared it a redundant piece of punctuation. My experience of reading the novels of Henry James is that he was well ahead, having abolished the full stop a good half-century beforehand.

Many people dislike the semi-colon; I disagree.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Many people dislike the semi-colon; I disagree.

I think that should be a colon. Or a full stop.

Seriously, although I went to a Grammar School, and a Preparatory School before that, I feel quite inept on the finer points of punctuation. Did we not get taught them? Or have I forgotten them, like so much else that I learned at school?

Note that a journalist friend of mine would disapprove of the comma in that last sentence.

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that should be a colon. Or a full stop.

Seriously, although I went to a Grammar School, and a Preparatory School before that, I feel quite inept on the finer points of punctuation. Did we not get taught them? Or have I forgotten them, like so much else that I learned at school?

Note that a journalist friend of mine would disapprove of the comma in that last sentence.

I don't know whether I was actually taught the tenets of grammar/punctuation, Joseph. However, I was taught to be able to differentiate between what was 'right and wrong'. Or, what sounded right or wrong. 

For example; my English teacher would tell us, after we'd written, say, an essay, to read it out loud (not too loud, for that would have resulted in chaos and, thus, beatings). Wherever we needed to take a breath, or emphasise something or pause, almost invariably that would require some form of punctuation (are there too many commas in these sentences?). His words of wisdom have stuck with me ever since.  

Do you think standards in English have dropped of late, particularly in the media in all its forms? 

As you might know, I'm a great cricket fan, but I turn the sound off whenever David Lloyd is on commentary. Though he might once have been a good player and have a wide knowledge of the game, he 'murders' our mother tongue. 

'He's been stood at short leg for most of the match'. 'He's just took a leg stump guard'. 'That bloke sat behind the bowler's arm will have to move'. And on and on.................. I despair! 

Mr Atherton isn't much better (and he's university-educated!). ' Myself and the West Indian captain have been discussing.............' Or words to that effect. Oh dear. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't know whether I was actually taught the tenets of grammar/punctuation, Joseph. However, I was taught to be able to differentiate between what was 'right and wrong'. Or, what sounded right or wrong. 

For example; my English teacher would tell us, after we'd written, say, an essay, to read it out loud (not too loud, for that would have resulted in chaos and, thus, beatings). Wherever we needed to take a breath, or emphasise something or pause, almost invariably that would require some form of punctuation (are there too many commas in these sentences?). His words of wisdom have stuck with me ever since.  

Do you think standards in English have dropped of late, particularly in the media in all its forms? 

As you might know, I'm a great cricket fan, but I turn the sound off whenever David Lloyd is on commentary. Though he might once have been a good player and have a wide knowledge of the game, he 'murders' our mother tongue. 

'He's been stood at short leg for most of the match'. 'He's just took a leg stump guard'. 'That bloke sat behind the bowler's arm will have to move'. And on and on.................. I despair! 

Mr Atherton isn't much better (and he's university-educated!). ' Myself and the West Indian captain have been discussing.............' Or words to that effect. Oh dear. 

Regards,

Tony. 

They are both Lancastrians.

Just sayin'...

My parents (Dad was also a Lancastrian, as those who know my surname will have guessed) once stayed on holiday in the same hotel as the Lloyds. During a conversation it emerged that David Lloyd is, or at least was at that time, a bit of a model railway man.

Anyway, you should listen to TMS and watch the telly with the sound turned down. Much better all round.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The English language in written and spoken form has evolved over centuries, and with the invention of modern means of communication that change has accelerated.

Going forward,you dudes are going to have to keep the grammar on the lowkey and learn to flex about something else.......:rolleyes:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Of that I have no doubt at all.

Even on the BBC News, poor syntax leads to some completely misleading reports. 

And as for the spelling on the rolling captions....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Mark C said:

Stotfold, for example....

I lived in Stotfold for a year or so in about 1985 while I worked at ICL in Letchworth.  Hated living so far south away from a decent pint.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

The English language in written and spoken form has evolved over centuries, and with the invention of modern means of communication that change has accelerated.

Going forward,you dudes are going to have to keep the grammar on the lowkey and learn to flex about something else.......:rolleyes:

Lighting a second twist of blue touch paper ...

Or as Ali G might put it: "Gwaan forward, you dudes iz gonna af keep da grammar on da lowkey an' learn to flex about sumfink else."

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Members of the Gauge O Guild and the Scalefour Society may already know this, but the whole Hollar Models range of wagon posters is now available as free downloads.

The 4mm range is on the Scalefour Society's web site (https://www.scalefour.org/hollar/) and the 7mm range from the GOG's site  (https://www.scalefour.org/hollar/). 

Tone

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Of that I have no doubt at all.

Even on the BBC News, poor syntax leads to some completely misleading reports. 

And as for the spelling on the rolling captions....

A counter position .... I do find when viewing News etc from years gone by (the year that was), the presentation now sounds affected and stilted to the point of parody.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

A counter position .... I do find when viewing News etc from years gone by (the year that was), the presentation now sounds affected and stilted to the point of parody.

Perhaps Tim,

However, we have no one to replace the likes of Sylvia Peters, Richard Dimbleby or Raymond Glendenning (I hope I've spelled their names correctly). 

Perfect diction, perfect pronunciation, perfect annunciation and impossible to misunderstand.  

Or, am I just nostalgic for a time when steam locos ruled our rails?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Perhaps Tim,

However, we have no one to replace the likes of Sylvia Peters, Richard Dimbleby or Raymond Glendenning (I hope I've spelled their names correctly). 

Perfect diction, perfect pronunciation, perfect annunciation and impossible to misunderstand.  

Or, am I just nostalgic for a time when steam locos ruled our rails?

Regards,

Tony. 

I may be way off base ... but I suspect that what many who find today's spoken world somewhat painful  might actually want, is a contemporary updated version of a past, which chimes with there own preferences (prejudices?) .... and in reality they might find a return to the days of yore not exactly what they have selectively remembered. I find it facinating how often I return to something I enjoyed in the past to find it markedly differrent from the memory and often jarring - not always, but often.

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Lecorbusier said:

I may be way off base ... but I suspect that what many who find today's spoken world somewhat painful  might actually want, is a contemporary updated version of a past, which chimes with there own preferences (prejudices?) .... and in reality they might find a return to the days of yore not exactly what they have selectively remembered. I find it facinating how often I return to something I enjoyed in the past to find it markedly differrent from the memory and often jarring - not always, but often.

Agreed Tim,

But just listen to the presentations of those I've mentioned (and many of their contemporaries) to see what I mean. 

Then, listen to some of today's. Accents so 'thick' as to be incomprehensible at times. Jarring, squawking and shrill tones, so much so as to be hard on my ears. 

Regards,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Agreed Tim,

But just listen to the presentations of those I've mentioned (and many of their contemporaries) to see what I mean. 

Then, listen to some of today's. Accents so 'thick' as to be incomprehensible at times. Jarring, squawking and shrill tones, so much so as to be hard on my ears. 

Regards,

Tony

During the recent test series against Pakistan they have been playing archive recordings of lunchtime discussions from the past ... the two I listened to were Peter O-Toole and John Cleese ... both in conversation with Brian Johnstone. Very entertaining .... but also very much period pieces which to my ear tipped ever so slightly into Parody. No doubt if the discussions were contemporary they would have come across stilted & odd!

I like accents and regional variation ... I enjoy idiomatic english and the myriad of local ways that grammer is 'twisted and butchered' from a purist standpoint. That said there are certain accents which I find jarring and unpleasant, which I think in the end is down to taste. I have recently been watching some of the early Fred Dibnah offerings on Youtube ... in purist terms he certainly 'butchers' the queens english, and I suspect even at the time there was an element of self parody in the programmes ... but for me they are of considerable merit none the less and I appreciate the regional richness of sentence construction and vocabulary. God save us from bland uniformity.

Of course, one person's treat can be another person's poison.

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Despite Dave's progressive use of our native tongue, don't be mislead. When he is in the dark triangle of Sandy, Potton and Biggleswade he can spark up a conversation with the locals speaking in their fluent 12th century Anglo-Saxon and use his limited Franco-Norman when communicating with the Lord of the Manor.

And before I get any come back, being a born Bedfordian by the time I went to secondary school I could swear in Italian, Urdu, Polish, Punjabi and Swahili all in a West Indian accent. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 12