Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

For good beer with a railway theme, if you  ever find yourself at Wigan North Western with a thirst and time to spare try the Wigan Central pub, located in the arches under the station, a nice selection of local brews also (brewery is across the road). Just turn left out of the station, under the bridge and sharp left. Don't worry about missing your train they have a station info TV screen at the bar.

5600848_d1834eb1.jpg

Would make a nice model with the Wills kit !!

https://www.wigancentral.bar/on-the-bar.html

Across the road directly opposite North Western is the newly refurbished Swan & Railway hotel. Also a real ale pub. The owners spent a fortune just before the covid lockdown forced then to shut one week after re-opening. A lot of railway artifacts around the bar.

3371906951_3742d98a4a_b.jpg

The name is interesting. Once there was a pub each side of the old bridge, The Swan, And The Railway. When the LNWR rebuilt the station both pubs were demolished, the new one was named after both of the old ones. 

I miss the "pre covid" pub atmosphere - pain in the bum now going to the local, the Boars Head, also at the side of the WCML.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
info added
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Observers will note the front steps sticking out a bit. Even on 3' radius curves, they caught the pony wheels. Modification is called for.

You’re probably aware Andrew at comet models has a variety of etched steps suitable for LMS and BR classes. Theres possibly something there that’ll give an easy, robust and accurate fix giving a bit more clearance.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Grahame,

Yes, I was approached about two/three months ago if I'd be interested in answering some questions (not all related to railway modelling). I think folk who have made a living from and/or are well known in the hobby have been approached for the feature. It's a privilege to be a participant.

One amusing question related to what two items I'd request if I were marooned on a desert island. You'll have to read Model Rail to find out my pair. 

Other questions related to films, literature and music. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I dunno about anyone else, but I’d ask for a boat and a bacon and egg roll with BBQ sauce 

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

4 hours ago, Theakerr said:

In a recent post the DJH motor gearbox is referenced.  It is an excellent combination and I have used more than a few in my locos.  However, and this is information for the ex-pats on the thread, I have probably purchased my last unit from them.  60 pounds UK after GST taken off, 35 pounds shipping.  Shipping UK products can be very expensive and it is worth asking what the shipping cost is before committing.   Some companies seen to be able to get reasonable rates others ?

I purchased three of the smaller units a couple of months ago. Was only going to buy two but when I found out the shipping cost to Oz I decided to spread the cost so bought three. I fitted one into a Craftsman C12 that will be used on an exhibition layout. It had a Mashima/Comet combination but was struggling with that - no idea why. It runs like a dream now. Another is in a D3 I've started to build. Only wish I'd bought half a a dozen or more! Might get more when I'm in the UK next - whenever that might be given current circumstances? I think the reason the DJH shipping costs is so high is that they used a courier service.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

I purchased three of the smaller units a couple of months ago. Was only going to buy two but when I found out the shipping cost to Oz I decided to spread the cost so bought three. I fitted one into a Craftsman C12 that will be used on an exhibition layout. It had a Mashima/Comet combination but was struggling with that - no idea why. It runs like a dream now. Another is in a D3 I've started to build. Only wish I'd bought half a a dozen or more! Might get more when I'm in the UK next - whenever that might be given current circumstances? I think the reason the DJH shipping costs is so high is that they used a courier service.

Andrew

You could phone a friend and either ask them to order on your behalf and post them on or order for delivery to their address then post them on.

A few years ago I ordered quite a lot of SMP track and had it delivered to one of my daughters, as shipping it direct is exorbitant because of its length. On my next trip to Sussex I bought a cheap sports bag and brought the track home in my checked baggage.

When I went into the shop to buy the bag the girl asked me what colour I wanted. I replied that it didn't matter as long as the bag was at least three feet long. I ended up with a bright red and blue one. It was easy to spot on the carousel.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Stephen,

It'll pull more than many RTR Pacifics will! 

Later on, I loaded it with 20 modified RTR carriages, which it didn't slip with. Any more and it would have been even dafter. 

My memory of these attractive little tanks is in and around the Chester area, including the CLC, where they rarely hauled more than two/three carriages. One abiding memory is observing 'The Welsh Dragon' ply its trade between Rhyl and Llandudno, watching from the footbridge at Abergele. Was there ever a shorter named train on BR? 

Regards,

Tony. 

15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It'll pull more than many RTR Pacifics will! 

Later on, I loaded it with 20 modified RTR carriages, which it didn't slip with. Any more and it would have been even dafter. 

My memory of these attractive little tanks is in and around the Chester area, including the CLC, where they rarely hauled more than two/three carriages.

Pulling capacity is an interesting area (as is battery life) in the realm of radio control.

As everyone is aware, battery life between charges is a consideration. The way Protocab are going seems to be to link charge life to coal/water capacities on the controller display (as far as steam loco's are concerned). The idea is that - like on the prototype - driving style can be monitered in relation to relative fuel/water (battery) consumption ... will be interesting to see how this develops over time (it is all still in the pipeline!)

On haulage capacity, as we know different classes had differring capabilities. With battery power a far wider range of motors become available than using DC/DCC - (small and large/Powerful and less powerful) - across the voltage ranges. Given the increased choice of  power options, maybe the ultimate goal would be to have power related to prototypical haulage capacity? Presumably in this scenario you would also have to engineer the weight of the loco such that wheel slip occurred once a given weight of train had been reached? You would also have to standardise the weight and free running of the stock. Not sure if any of that is at all feesible .... but it is an interesting thought experiment. I suspect you would run into problems relating to the none scaleability of mass and inertia?

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I'm curious about "Sir's" choice of discs for his desert island.  May I suggest:

• Sold(er) me down the River - The Alarm
  • Bytham Rivers of Babylon - Boney M
  • Pacific (East) Coast Highway - The Mamas and The Papas
  • Long Train Runnin' (behind something kit-built) - The Doobie Brothers
  • Plus lots of other METAL tracks

Rob

Metal

Of course Princess of the Night by Saxon.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

I use the DJH motor/gearbox combinations just about all the time now. They are incredibly easy to fit and give beautifully-smooth and quiet performance, as well as being very powerful. 

However, there are one or two 'features' about them which might put some folk off purchasing them (the 'shipping' costs to distant parts would be the same whatever the manufacturer). 

1. It can't be denied they're 'expensive'. I've put 'expensive' in speech marks because that is a relative term in my view. I've lost count of the number of motor/gearbox combinations I've put together myself but they include those made (among others) by Comet, Markits, LRM, Branchlines, SE Finecast and High-Level. With the exception of the last-mentioned, all have been a 'fiddle'; inasmuch as it's often taken ages to get them really 'sweet'. Some have been noisy (usually noisier in forwards - irritating with big tender locos!) at source and in some cases (I admit) I've not been able to fully cure that irritating aspect (the recent moving footage of LB proves that, though, as mentioned, the camcorder exacerbates any whirring). The High-Level ones tend to be quieter at source (some plastic gear parts?) but great care is needed in their assembly, and I cannot get on with a final gear wheel attached to a driven axle by adhesive of some kind (a feature of some of the 'boxes). The DJH 'boxes come ready-assembled (what price a craftsman's time to do that properly?) and every one I've used since I tested the prototypes has been almost silent. So, what price for such an ease of installation, especially in the terms of time saved? I'd go as far as to state they're as good as Portescaps, and a lot quieter! The only thing I've found which could be improved is the size of the grubscrew. It should be longer, giving more 'bite', though filing a 'flat' on the driven axle helps in this case. I've recommended to DJH that a longer grubscrew be supplied. 

Another factor 'militating' against the 'make-up yourself' 'boxes is the non-availability of Mashima motors now. DJH has sourced alternatives which, if anything, are more-powerful, especially the AM10 version. 

2. Unless one is building a loco with a barn of a boiler, the DJH 'boxes are difficult to disguise, especially if one wishes to drive on the centre axle (which I still think is preferable). However, I hope I've shown of late that by driving on the rear axle (of, say, an 0-6-0 tender loco), they're not too obtrusive - especially when everything's painted black and a crew is installed in the cab. 

The final call, of course, will be how much is one prepared to pay for super-smooth and powerful running? As illustrated yesterday, installing a 'Rolls-Royce engine' in a second-hand runabout is daft in a way. That DJH AM10 is probably worth more that the whole Ivatt 2-6-2T now, especially if compared with the RTR version. But, in a way, so what? I'll probably keep the little 'Mickey Mouse' now because I knew (and respected its late builder) and a dear friend gave it to me. There, I'm getting sentimental in my old age! 

Three more DJH motor/gearboxes should be arriving here today - ordered to power the EM Pacific/Prairie chassis I'm making for Retford. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The High Level gearbox owner supplies DJH with the gears used in "their" gearbox apparently. I prefer the High Level boxes as a) they are cheaper, b) I can fit them into almost any loco, c) you can fasten a motor onto one either by using screws of by soldering it onto the gearboxes (as suggested by Mike Edge). d) once you have built one or two of them it takes very little time in putting them together  e) they run sweet as a nut as they say!  And fixing the final drive to the axle is no great hardship.. after all they do glue Airliner wings together. Most have changed to include a grub screw

Us mere mortals who live in Yorkshire blanch at the price of the DJH gearbox... and how big it is! 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andrew,

I use the DJH motor/gearbox combinations just about all the time now. They are incredibly easy to fit and give beautifully-smooth and quiet performance, as well as being very powerful. 

However, there are one or two 'features' about them which might put some folk off purchasing them (the 'shipping' costs to distant parts would be the same whatever the manufacturer). 

1. It can't be denied they're 'expensive'. I've put 'expensive' in speech marks because that is a relative term in my view. I've lost count of the number of motor/gearbox combinations I've put together myself but they include those made (among others) by Comet, Markits, LRM, Branchlines, SE Finecast and High-Level. With the exception of the last-mentioned, all have been a 'fiddle'; inasmuch as it's often taken ages to get them really 'sweet'. Some have been noisy (usually noisier in forwards - irritating with big tender locos!) at source and in some cases (I admit) I've not been able to fully cure that irritating aspect (the recent moving footage of LB proves that, though, as mentioned, the camcorder exacerbates any whirring). The High-Level ones tend to be quieter at source (some plastic gear parts?) but great care is needed in their assembly, and I cannot get on with a final gear wheel attached to a driven axle by adhesive of some kind (a feature of some of the 'boxes). The DJH 'boxes come ready-assembled (what price a craftsman's time to do that properly?) and every one I've used since I tested the prototypes has been almost silent. So, what price for such an ease of installation, especially in the terms of time saved? I'd go as far as to state they're as good as Portescaps, and a lot quieter! The only thing I've found which could be improved is the size of the grubscrew. It should be longer, giving more 'bite', though filing a 'flat' on the driven axle helps in this case. I've recommended to DJH that a longer grubscrew be supplied. 

Another factor 'militating' against the 'make-up yourself' 'boxes is the non-availability of Mashima motors now. DJH has sourced alternatives which, if anything, are more-powerful, especially the AM10 version. 

2. Unless one is building a loco with a barn of a boiler, the DJH 'boxes are difficult to disguise, especially if one wishes to drive on the centre axle (which I still think is preferable). However, I hope I've shown of late that by driving on the rear axle (of, say, an 0-6-0 tender loco), they're not too obtrusive - especially when everything's painted black and a crew is installed in the cab. 

The final call, of course, will be how much is one prepared to pay for super-smooth and powerful running? As illustrated yesterday, installing a 'Rolls-Royce engine' in a second-hand runabout is daft in a way. That DJH AM10 is probably worth more that the whole Ivatt 2-6-2T now, especially if compared with the RTR version. But, in a way, so what? I'll probably keep the little 'Mickey Mouse' now because I knew (and respected its late builder) and a dear friend gave it to me. There, I'm getting sentimental in my old age! 

Three more DJH motor/gearboxes should be arriving here today - ordered to power the EM Pacific/Prairie chassis I'm making for Retford. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Re point 1

High Level Boxes no longer used final gears glued to the axle, and havent for quite a while . They now have a screw fixing to the axle for the final gear. They are very easy to build, high quality and cheap to buy. High Level now also offer a range of suitable motors , or there are other motors available via ebay .

Point 2

Sorry to write this again, no models should have Cabs with protuding motors/gearboxes anymore, they went with the days of the XO4 types of motors.. As Tony said the DJH versions are only suitable for Pacifics,  perhaps on some Atlantics ,and large good engines . They are also very overpriced.

I suggest the person with the crazy postage quote, contacts High Level Kits and gets a quote for prices of postage. Hopefully it will be much cheaper, the High Level gearboxes weight is neglible.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

For me it has to be High Level. The DJH offerring is simply too large and inflexible ... Rolls Royces are after all big and heavy luxury cars! With High level I can usually find an arrangement which will fit and a gear ratio that suits ... even when I have to accommodate a battery as well in a loco as small as a Johnson 1F.

Horses for courses maybe?

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It might surprise many, Martin,

That my choice for music was a classical piece!

Regards,

Tony. 

It doesn't, and it might surprise but many rock fans can appreciate classical.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Which would be followed in short order by 'Duchess', of course.

Wrong sort of Duchess (unlike the Princess & Saxon song)

She used to be an ironhorse
Twenty years ago
Used to bring the mail to me
Through the ice and snow
I've sat alone and watched her
Steaming through the night
Ninety tons of thunder
Lighting up the sky

She was a princess of the night
I saw the writing on the wall
I take a ride across the sky

Speeding, sparks like lightning
Engine working hard
Furnace on the foot plate
Shining in the night
Iron striking metal
The sound of racing steel
It's all I ever wanna hear
It's music to my ears

Ninety tons of thunder
Lighting up the sky
Steaming red hot pistons
See the wheels flash by
Hear the whistle blowing
Streaking down the track
If I ever had my way
I'd bring the princess back one day

(sky, sky, sky)

Seen them a few times, great band, still touring and I last saw them over 30 years ago.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, micklner said:

Re point 1

High Level Boxes no longer used final gears glued to the axle, and havent for quite a while . They now have a screw fixing to the axle for the final gear. They are very easy to build, high quality and cheap to buy. High Level now also offer a range of suitable motors , or there are other motors available via ebay .

Point 2

Sorry to write this again, no models should have Cabs with protuding motors/gearboxes anymore, they went with the days of the XO4 types of motors.. As Tony said the DJH versions are only suitable for Pacifics,  perhaps on some Atlantics ,and large good engines . They are also very overpriced.

I suggest the person with the crazy postage quote, contacts High Level Kits and gets a quote for prices of postage. Hopefully it will be much cheaper, the High Level gearboxes weight is neglible.

Hi,

Further to Mick's post I thought it worth mentioning that Chris Gibbon of High Level has sourced two new coreless motors for use with his gear boxes.  They are a 12/19 (£27) and a 13/20 (£29.50) , these have 8.5mm mounting centres and a 1.5mm drive shaft.  The 13/20  has enough power for the largest of 4mm locomotive, and the 12/19 is also a very powerful unit.  Coupled with Chris's gear boxes these are now my first choice drive units for the loco's I'm building for Clayton, unless I have a  suitable 2nd hand (quiet) Portescap unit available.

450618174_HLMotor.jpg.f8c76dc29774fb1f2d9ec91dbb7f4d7b.jpg

I've been on to the High Level site this morning and according to the information some of Chris's gear boxes still utilise final drive gears without grub screws.  Like Tony, unless you are an experienced modeller, I would avoid using these, but there are plenty of alternate configurations available where the final drive gear has a screw to hold it on the axle.   I can't imagine a scenario where one of these motor/gearbox combinations can't be completely hidden within the boiler and firebox of a model without protruding into the cab or being visible under the boiler.

Frank  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You could phone a friend and either ask them to order on your behalf and post them on or order for delivery to their address then post them on.

A few years ago I ordered quite a lot of SMP track and had it delivered to one of my daughters, as shipping it direct is exorbitant because of its length. On my next trip to Sussex I bought a cheap sports bag and brought the track home in my checked baggage.

When I went into the shop to buy the bag the girl asked me what colour I wanted. I replied that it didn't matter as long as the bag was at least three feet long. I ended up with a bright red and blue one. It was easy to spot on the carousel.

Postage does seem to becoming more of an issue out to Australia. For many items I buy from UK suppliers or eBay UK, I get them delivered to my sister's house in England and she forwards them on, bless her. What she can't send on (too big / too heavy) I pick up on my trips back. I don't think I'll be back to the UK for a while, so my purchases are massing! I'll certainly need to take full advantage of the baggage allowance next time....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1