Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I haven't seen that statistic but since Hornby saved itself by moving into the high value "collectors" market instead of just the toy market, it is acknowledged that most collectors don't have a railway to run their models on. 

But not all people are collectors.. not everything the RTR manufacturers have "Collectables". 

We could make a better generalisation..."most kits are never built"  but there is no data to support this ...just speculation.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Headstock said:

Did you know that the majority of RTR locomotives sold over the last year, never get run or rarely come out of their boxes. Is that you? I think not.

Thank you

Not felt in the best place these last few days which may explain my defeatist attitude. I do admire those like yourself that have the patience and focus to build such models.

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

I have to be a bit careful what I say as a committee member of DEMU, not much on the locomotive part of the hobby, and most coach conversions are departmental or Network Rail research ones. There are some DMU and EMU modellers, thankfully. A large number of DEMU members seem to be modelling freight wagons, again quite a few doing departmental wagons. Most are really wonderful models.

The RTR manufacturers have cottoned on to the variations within loco classes and now seem to offer all the minor changes to the loco classes as well as all the colours under the rainbow when they announce a new model ....except Accurascale who still haven't said they are doing D9001 in two tone green with a Finsbury Park yellow panel, that is one box I would love open. 

Here on RMweb there are a few chaps who do model D&E locos, Gibbo675 and Darius43 are making a good job of some of the early AC electric locos, and jessy1692 does some very nice diesel models. I am sure there are others who I have missed. 

It is a strange part of the hobby, there was a time when the DEMU stand would have someone converting a Hornby class 25 into a class 24. Today it is have a good moan that the latest Sutton class 24 "Is not the one I want and none are in the minor variation of yellow panel for what I want."

I am not sure if it is good for the hobby having such choice and wonderfully made models compared to the enjoyment of converting or even scratchbuilding your own.

I think I must be a bit of a one off these days. I recently won more bids on Vectis auctions than I thought I would and ended up with loads of carriages, mainly CKs and a few over long BGs. Not enough brake coaches, who else would cut up very good contion coaches to make a BSK which every one who has made Mk1 coaches has done, a BSO, it was to be another BSK but I thought I would do something different, and a BCK , unplanned but used up the bits I was unsure what to do with.

020.jpg.4608f7e749cf8a81fc296e122a4a2c93.jpg

BSK

013.jpg.ad68a90f5f9a3ec1f193503cbf6036db.jpg

BSO

018.jpg.0bf0940636b1e2969fa0dc592ee7307b.jpg

BCK

Done with no other reason than I like doing this sort of thing. We all have our likes and dislikes regarding our hobby and who I am to say what is right and what is wrong....except what ever you do have fun doing so.

More coaches where the guys in the paint shop were drunk when they painted them.  :good:

I am doing a lot of coach conversions and my GRCW 119 is nearly finished.

• Like 2

What an interesting series of discussions. Many thanks for all the erudite comments. 

As has been suggested, we can only speculate on many things. My only 'evidence' for a lot of the 'data' is personal - what I've observed at shows (up to Covid) and in the press. And, to some extent (though less so) in electronic media.

Have I come to any 'conclusions'? Perhaps. These might be (in no particular order)...... 

1. There's been a diminishing of folk actually making things, particularly locomotives and, to a lesser extent, rolling stock (ironically, Covid might have had the opposite effect, but I can't tell first-hand). This might be because of improved RTR (which, to be fair, is now often better than what many could make for themselves; and, it's usually considerably cheaper). 

2. The number of new kits being made available (again, particularly locomotives) has also diminished (cause and effect?). 

3. Far more layout I see at shows and in the press seem to be much the same; again, with regard to locos and rolling stock. And, in several cases, there's a proliferation of RTP buildings/structures. The corollary of this is the smaller number of scratch-/kit-built items, and this is not just in OO. 

4. The general standard of layouts in general at shows has never been higher in terms of presentation/appearance/lighting. However, I wish I could say the same for the running on some of them. Many of these layouts represent the BR steam/diesel transition period. That's why it's refreshing (at least to me) to see, say, a pre-Grouping depiction where, out of necessity, much more will have been made. More and more layouts are controlled currently by DCC (which doesn't always improve the running!) and many now have (annoying?) sound, often too loud!

1514003279_Eaglesham06.jpg.5d07796cd6883cf8043781354acaa7f7.jpg

What chance a Smith 'River' ever being available RTR?

5. Though I have no 'hard' evidence (other than talking with the manufacturers) most kits (particularly those for locos) are never finished to complete satisfaction. This is substantiated by the number I've seen bought off eBay (not by me; it's as mysterious as nuclear physics!), where many are just a mess. When I say 'complete satisfaction', I admit, that's subjective, but many I've seen don't run well, are glued together and are painted with tar! 

6. There is more of a reluctance now for folk to 'alter' what they've bought (in case it decreases the value?). 'Oh, I've just spent £XXX on that model and by improving/altering/renumbering/renaming/weathering it it'll be devalued. Anyway, if I keep it mint/boxed it'll appeal to collectors'. What has happened to the notion of 'improving' something? Time was when, say, the likes of the Model Railway Constructor used to show us how to change a Tri-ang B12 into a D16/3; or even a B12/3! Or, as Clive has mentioned, altering a Hornby Class 25 into a Class 24? Or, is it that the models are so good now at source that they don't need to be improved? And, the Tri-ang B12 was pretty grotty anyway! 

1859937910_DurhamStreet14.jpg.21086ca1a1193c98c040dd8cb5206331.jpg

Who might risk devaluing this RTR O Gauge A2 by weathering it? On Durham Street, in the latest issue of BRM.

7. Where 'personal' alterations to RTR stuff have taken place (particularly with regard to weathering), the results can be stupendous. This is an area where things are better than they've ever been (at least in my view).  For someone to be almost 'apologising' for not building kits is nonsense. 

357410118_A260538andV260862.jpg.9db1afebfa19e512060084429a5e92c0.jpg

Nonsense, when weathering like this brings a pair of (modified) Bachmann RTR locos to life; the work of Tom Foster. 

8. More folk seem to be paying to have their modelling done by others for them, even to the extent of not being able to fit decoders themselves! 

9. An encouraging sign is that there are some fine, younger modellers out there; and I stress the term 'modellers'! Those who actually make things for themselves, are keen to learn and, most importantly, are 'not afraid'. 

18436639_J3901.jpg.412b9b524a5db3b7a6484713a3c8fb1c.jpg

984993898_Jessesengineerstrain02.jpg.e4716d98a50d29967f4375e9643dff50.jpg

Jesse Sim's SEF J39 and mainly scratch-built LNER engineers' train.

2033863473_Arnside03.jpg.a0853db02e1124e0598e7bff4cf6d87f.jpg

Greig Mackenzie's scratch-built signal box on his Arnside layout (in the latest Railway Modeller). 

10. in actual terms, RTR items are not more expensive than they ever were (under £200.00 for a forthcoming RTR Hornby A2/3 - half that of a complete kit!). That said, kit components seem to be increasing in price.

11. The age profile in the hobby has never been at a higher average, which probably means a glut of items coming on the market in the not-too-distant future; at lower prices? Supply and demand?

12. Some clubs might not survive for much longer, and not just because of Covid. Which asks the question, how many exhibitions will return?

13. We've never had it so good!

The above are really just some current musings. Please feel free to disagree, and to add your own thoughts. My list certainly isn't comprehensive, nor even consistent! 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

But not all people are collectors.. not everything the RTR manufacturers have "Collectables". 

We could make a better generalisation..."most kits are never built"  but there is no data to support this ...just speculation.

Baz

Morning Baz,

BRM Survey I believe. A massive 80% of those surveyed never had a model railway, but were accumulating stock for planed layouts that never came to fruition. They are still dreaming, making lists and accumulating. It was assumed that this meant a healthy intake of new participants or a sizeable rump with untapped potential. The new intake is not healthy and the large rump remains unmoved by magazine attempts to get them stated. The CEO of Bachmann has agreed with this and has even gone as far as saying that the RTR market is not sustainable in its current form, without addressing the declining numbers both entering and actively participating in the hobby. The majority of people who identify as railway modelers are collectors, whether they think of themselves that way or not. A majority, like yourself, are in denial about this.

Edited by Headstock
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Thank you

Not felt in the best place these last few days which may explain my defeatist attitude. I do admire those like yourself that have the patience and focus to build such models.

Good morning Tom,

I have noticed when you seema little bereft at times. You are far too hard on yourself I think. You have many friends and admires of your work across many disciplines in this Hobby. I recall your video presentation of LSGC in its early days. For my money, some of the finest filming of a 4mm scale layout in action that I have ever seen. It moved me.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Morning Baz,

BRM Survey I believe. A massive 80% of those surveyed never had a model railway, but were accumulating stock for planed layouts that never came to fruition. They are still dreaming, making lists and accumulating. It was assumed that this meant a healthy intake of new participants or a sizeable rump with untapped potential. The new intake is not healthy and the large rump remains unmoved by magazine attempts to get them stated. The CEO of Bachmann has agreed with this and has even gone as far as saying that the RTR market is not sustainable in its current form, without addressing the declining numbers both entering and actively participating in the hobby. The majority of people who identify as railway modelers are collectors, whether they think of themselves that way or not. A majority, like yourself, are in denial about this.

I am not in denial..you seem to have a very jaudiced eye of some people! I have been a member of a number of model railway societies and clubs and a decline in both numbers and also those interested in making items from scratch or kit has declined ocer the years.. but in Leeds MRS we have a lot of members kit building on 2mm, 3mm, 4mmm and 7mm. Not just UK based items either.

I know from disussing with an auctioneer that kit built items are, at the moment achieving 3 times their estimates. RTR isn't anywhere near that.

The biggest problems are 1 space and 2 easy to follow instructions on "building your first layout". The manufacturers have never helped wit that at all.. When did you last "help" a newcomer to the hobby? The ones I have helped needed basic skills not "oh that loco has the wrong headlamps"  or "that van is the wrong shape or size"

Attitudes towards helping may vary but..if you don't help and be so negative ..things will only get worse..

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

What has happened to the notion of 'improving' something? Time was when, say, the likes of the Model Railway Constructor used to show us how to change a Tri-ang B12 into a D16/3; or even a B12/3! Or, as Clive has mentioned, altering a Hornby Class 25 into a Class 24?

I'm sure I remember an article in the 60s or 70s that was called "Black 5 to Black 5" or something similar.

I'm not averse to a bit of modification work myself, my most recent effort being to convert a Bachmann 64xx to a 74xx, in the footsteps of (but a long way behind...) Tom Foster @Hawin Dooiey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I am not in denial..you seem to have a very jaudiced eye of some people! I have been a member of a number of model railway societies and clubs and a decline in both numbers and also those interested in making items from scratch or kit has declined ocer the years.. but in Leeds MRS we have a lot of members kit building on 2mm, 3mm, 4mmm and 7mm. Not just UK based items either.

I know from disussing with an auctioneer that kit built items are, at the moment achieving 3 times their estimates. RTR isn't anywhere near that.

The biggest problems are 1 space and 2 easy to follow instructions on "building your first layout". The manufacturers have never helped wit that at all.. When did you last "help" a newcomer to the hobby? The ones I have helped needed basic skills not "oh that loco has the wrong headlamps"  or "that van is the wrong shape or size"

Attitudes towards helping may vary but..if you don't help and be so negative ..things will only get worse..

Baz

I am not in denial

How would you know?

you seem to have a very jaudiced (sic) eye of some people!

Nah, I'm just having a right old giggle.

36 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Thanks Andrew, that means a lot.
Yes, I remember filming that, it  was enjoyable to film and capture the 'trains going by'. Always had a soft spot for the GCR, once shows return it would would be good to see the layout again.

My modelling mojo has taken a bit of a dip recently. Model Railways is the biggest thing in my life (sadly), and I use it as my go to place with everything going on in the world at the moment. My issue recently is I've burnt myself out with the 'Awdry' modelling....lost complete interest, in doing so I feel a bit lost.

A glimmer of hope is that I'm acquiring a layout 'Humber Dock' from my friend Ian Everett. Originally built to P4 I will be reverting it to OO so I can mix my BR stock with other layouts. It does mean I'm currently researching the railways of Hull and Humber area, which is hopefully re igniting my modelling interest.

Might have to have a go at kit building again (An N8, or the mighty T1 perhaps!)

118480309_10157886288917984_2600227023622011185_o.jpg.512ad5caa40a90844d3f50ba4852fe30.jpg

Afternoon Tom,

model railways can be a fickle mistress sometimes. You seemed to have the most fun with your old shed layout back in the day. I use enjoy catching up with that on many an occasion. It seemed to have a rich story to tell and a great deal of positive energy about it.

Re modeling mojo, I don't think that you have quite settled yet on something that could occupy your mind for a lifetime, such as an LB for example. That kind of rock like stability, that comes from a continuity of purpose, can provide a wonderful coasey blanket in the hardest of times but one that you should throw of and not live in. One of the great benefits that I find from model railways, is that it slows everything down, you gain that twenty year roll on of achievement, that puts the bad times in perspective.

The video looks great but most of the stock has been replaced since it was taken. I would love for you to come and shoot it again if we get the opportunity.

The purple boat scene looks lovely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most of us get a dip in our mojo from time to time Tom. Mine usually come after finishing a particular project. Fortunately I can always go out and do something in the garden. I'm at one of those points now with little enthusiasm to start the next one. However, it's too wet and windy to venture outside today so I have finally got around to weathering a building I built six years ago. It will be another of those unfinished jobs ticked off the list. So don't worry, you are not alone and you have a lot of friends here on RM Web.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

I would have thought that the large number of long out of production kits from (very often) manufacturers that ceased trading or sold on decades ago that appear on a certain auction site would point to a lot of kits not having been built.  Whether that is most is an open question, I will grant you.  If I were to pop my clogs this evening then I would have helped contribute to this with unbuilt offerings from such manufacturers as Ian Kirk, Keyser, Nucast, Millholme Models, D&S, ABS, Haxo, Huet, Damofer and probably a few more that slip my mind just now.

Experience has shown that buy now or perhaps find the model and producer are no longer around has made me buy for the future projects.  The same is true of the rtr items I have bought - so that puts me in at least the pseudo-collector group.  I do however have a layout under slow construction.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Tom, I fully understand your sentiment and I can empathise with it – I don’t know you personally so of course I cannot understand fully what it is you’re dealing with – but I do know how powerful our minds are.

I have not sat at my workbench for a good 6 weeks or so now, despite wanting to from time to time. I know when the time is right, I will sit down again but I have learned not to ‘push it’ when I’m not fully in the mood.

In dealing with dips in mood, I have gained most from being with my little boy, he’s now approaching 3. He has an incredible ability to ‘live in the moment’. I try and do the same from time to time. A silly example would be when enjoying a cup of coffee. At that precise moment in time, all is well in the world if I simply focus on enjoying the coffee. There’s nothing I can do about troublesome work situations or viruses (virii??!?) while I’m drinking the coffee, so I allow myself to just be in the moment, and I find it can really help.

Don’t beat yourself up for feeling down. It’s ok. Allow yourself to do what feels good, and try and enjoy it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Most of us get a dip in our mojo from time to time Tom. Mine usually come after finishing a particular project. Fortunately I can always go out and do something in the garden. I'm at one of those points now with little enthusiasm to start the next one. However, it's too wet and windy to venture outside today so I have finally got around to weathering a building I built six years ago. It will be another of those unfinished jobs ticked off the list. So don't worry, you are not alone and you have a lot of friends here on RM Web.

Good afternoon Killybegs,

I've been in and out all morning digging out the boarders in the garden, bracing wind but beautiful sunshine. I've accidentally run out of solder, so a nods as good as a rest. Like you, it's getting started that can take the doing at present, once I do, then I'm away. I've never not finished a model, being a natural deadline worker helps with that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Thank you both of you, and just to say, I really enjoy seeing your modelling, that is a great escapism in itself!

I promise this is the last I'll say, because I appreciate I'm taking up space on Tony's thread.

Lockdown has been difficult, and now the hobby is my job 'weathering' I don't have it as the same form of escapism as I once did, or at least in my mind I have to keep my own modelling separate. Covid and the current situation hasn't done my mental health a lot of good, and my weight ballooned as a consequence. I'm back on track with this now, losing 16 pounds in the last three weeks.

Places like the forums are my only outlet, as a form of support. The only family have now is my biological mother who is of no support at all, if anything I feel like the parent in the relationship. I'm seeing a counsellor which is helping, and I've my wonderful border collie. I have relied on the hobby to give me strength through my Dad's terminal illness, and now I live alone...through loneliness.

Apologies for blurting all this out here, I'm just feeling very lost right now.

Please don't apologise for being open about something that affects a lot of people. I don't mean that in a way that is to diminish what you are feeling, quite the opposite - there are a lot of people, including me I, that have struggled at times recently. I've been on tablets for anxiety and depression for some time now. I even started back in the hobby as an attempt at de-stressing. Unfortunately time hasn't been available to do much modelling, even less during the present crisis. My tablet dosage was recently doubled as I was dipping again. Not sure it's made much difference but I'm not as bad as I was when I was first put on them fortunately.

That's great news that you've been able to shed some of the excess weight. I wish I had the will power for that. I've progressively crept up over the last few months, and I was overweight to begin with. It's far too easy to stress eat, isn't it?

It's good to see you've been able to get some counselling. There seems to be a postcode lottery on that. I really hope it's of help, there is nothing here unfortunately. I think I've had 4 different appointments cancelled because of the current mess.

Again, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

17 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Killybegs,

I've been in and out all morning digging out the boarders in the garden, bracing wind but beautiful sunshine. I've accidentally run out of solder, so a nods as good as a rest. Like you, it's getting started that can take the doing at present, once I do, then I'm away. I've never not finished a model, being a natural deadline worker helps with that.

Hi Andrew,

I've got a coil of 145 deg solder you can have to keep you going if you want to call over and get it?

Frank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Andrew,

I've got a coil of 145 deg solder you can have to keep you going if you want to call over and get it?

Frank 

Thanks for the offer Frank,

I placed a resupply order with EIleen's for various bits and bobs that should arrive today or tomorrow. In the meantime, none railway modeling activities are essential and enjoyable. It is kind of you to step forwards though.

58 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Tom, I fully understand your sentiment and I can empathise with it – I don’t know you personally so of course I cannot understand fully what it is you’re dealing with – but I do know how powerful our minds are.

I have not sat at my workbench for a good 6 weeks or so now, despite wanting to from time to time. I know when the time is right, I will sit down again but I have learned not to ‘push it’ when I’m not fully in the mood.

In dealing with dips in mood, I have gained most from being with my little boy, he’s now approaching 3. He has an incredible ability to ‘live in the moment’. I try and do the same from time to time. A silly example would be when enjoying a cup of coffee. At that precise moment in time, all is well in the world if I simply focus on enjoying the coffee. There’s nothing I can do about troublesome work situations or viruses (virii??!?) while I’m drinking the coffee, so I allow myself to just be in the moment, and I find it can really help.

Don’t beat yourself up for feeling down. It’s ok. Allow yourself to do what feels good, and try and enjoy it.

I like your live in the moment philosophie, even if it is only a single moment each day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There is long, excellent thread on "Modelling Mojo and State of Mind" where similar conversations have taken place.  I can well understand that for Tom, having your hobby now becoming your income can take away the enjoyment of the former.

There are so many of us who have experienced these issues and for many, the current situation doesn't help.  However I will say this: how many of us have been greatly helped at times of stress in our lives by having an absorbing hobby like this one?  The people I really worry about right now are those that have no hobbies, because all too often, relief to them comes in a bottle and that almost never ends well.

Rob (A too-much-collector and not-enough-modeller)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, Tom F said:

It’s a good point, the trouble is some of us do not enjoy kit building. I’ve been lucky enough to have tuition from Tony several times and it just hasn’t sunk in sadly.

I’ll happily solder tiny Masokit couplings and lamp irons. However I just don’t have the desire/skill/drive to build full locomotive kits. There is still that fear that to spend £200+ before I start, and the worry of it going wrong is still enough to put me off. Plus a large number of kits have incredibly poor instructions.

Maybe one day, but sadly for now I’ll continue to detail RTR and weather which I at least know I can do.

Hi Tom

There are all different aspects to railway modelling.

I can fully  understand your comments regarding kit building locomotives.

I feel I just do not have the skills to build a kit and If I tried it certainly not be to the standard I would want in a model locomotive.

I am happy carry out other parts of the hobby such as scratch building structures which I fell very comfortable in doing, coming from an Architectural background.

I am still trying to get to grips with soldering.  

You do a superb job on loco weathering so concentrate on that.

I do what I can within my limitations and leave the other parts of the hobby to the experts.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spellcheck
  • Like 2