Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good afternoon Killybegs,

I've been in and out all morning digging out the boarders in the garden, bracing wind but beautiful sunshine. I've accidentally run out of solder, so a nods as good as a rest. Like you, it's getting started that can take the doing at present, once I do, then I'm away. I've never not finished a model, being a natural deadline worker helps with that.

Headstock,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts & learned a lot but now you seem to be revealing yourself as a serial killer having apparently buried your house guests ("digging out the boarders in the garden"). What will you do with the bodies now you have dug them up?

William (in jest)

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Tony, I've had a go at responding to your thoughts below.

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Have I come to any 'conclusions'? Perhaps. These might be (in no particular order)...... 

1. There's been a diminishing of folk actually making things, particularly locomotives and, to a lesser extent, rolling stock (ironically, Covid might have had the opposite effect, but I can't tell first-hand). This might be because of improved RTR (which, to be fair, is now often better than what many could make for themselves; and, it's usually considerably cheaper). 

I'm not sure that's true. I think that people are making scenery (including structures) rather than rolling stock. I know we both prefer to see locos and stock, but there is a lot of good modelling going on - hence 4. below.

2. The number of new kits being made available (again, particularly locomotives) has also diminished (cause and effect?). 

Agreed, although some interesting new kits are arriving in new media such as from isinglass.

3. Far more layout I see at shows and in the press seem to be much the same; again, with regard to locos and rolling stock. And, in several cases, there's a proliferation of RTP buildings/structures. The corollary of this is the smaller number of scratch-/kit-built items, and this is not just in OO. 

4. The general standard of layouts in general at shows has never been higher in terms of presentation/appearance/lighting. However, I wish I could say the same for the running on some of them. Many of these layouts represent the BR steam/diesel transition period. That's why it's refreshing (at least to me) to see, say, a pre-Grouping depiction where, out of necessity, much more will have been made. More and more layouts are controlled currently by DCC (which doesn't always improve the running!) and many now have (annoying?) sound, often too loud!

Agree about the standard being higher. I was out of the hobby and didn't go to any shows between 1984 and 2012 but I would say running is much better than it was in the '70s and '80s and I haven't detected a deterioration since I've been back. I don't agree with 'annoying' sound. For me sound brings the layout to life but I know we have to agree to differ here. I would hope you would recognise that sound is creative and requires some skill on the part of the purchaser to fit - at least for the more up market sound installations.

5. Though I have no 'hard' evidence (other than talking with the manufacturers) most kits (particularly those for locos) are never finished to complete satisfaction. This is substantiated by the number I've seen bought off eBay (not by me; it's as mysterious as nuclear physics!), where many are just a mess. When I say 'complete satisfaction', I admit, that's subjective, but many I've seen don't run well, are glued together and are painted with tar! 

I would certainly agree with that. I have bought many basket cases off eBay but I quite enjoy sorting them out. On the plus side I did a white metal kit building workshop at our club a while ago and yesterday I saw the first complete (except for painting) running loco as a result of it - a Wills T9. I've had a long series of phone calls during lockdown talking my friend through the construction. It runs beautifully and looks great. 

6. There is more of a reluctance now for folk to 'alter' what they've bought (in case it decreases the value?). 'Oh, I've just spent £XXX on that model and by improving/altering/renumbering/renaming/weathering it it'll be devalued. Anyway, if I keep it mint/boxed it'll appeal to collectors'. What has happened to the notion of 'improving' something? Time was when, say, the likes of the Model Railway Constructor used to show us how to change a Tri-ang B12 into a D16/3; or even a B12/3! Or, as Clive has mentioned, altering a Hornby Class 25 into a Class 24? Or, is it that the models are so good now at source that they don't need to be improved? And, the Tri-ang B12 was pretty grotty anyway! 

Sadly true. I think eBay has much to answer for here as second hand values seem to have gone up. And it's easier to sell something unaltered because the purchaser knows what s/he it getting.

7. Where 'personal' alterations to RTR stuff have taken place (particularly with regard to weathering), the results can be stupendous. This is an area where things are better than they've ever been (at least in my view).  For someone to be almost 'apologising' for not building kits is nonsense. 

357410118_A260538andV260862.jpg.9db1afebfa19e512060084429a5e92c0.jpg

Nonsense, when weathering like this brings a pair of (modified) Bachmann RTR locos to life; the work of Tom Foster. 

Agreed. 

8. More folk seem to be paying to have their modelling done by others for them, even to the extent of not being able to fit decoders themselves! 

I do find that astonishing. Although I must admit to disliking fitting a decoder to kit built locos. Something always seems to go wrong!

9. An encouraging sign is that there are some fine, younger modellers out there; and I stress the term 'modellers'! Those who actually make things for themselves, are keen to learn and, most importantly, are 'not afraid'. 

Agreed. I think lockdown may have encouraged this. Our club has gained four new members aged (at a guess) between 30 and 60. People who have had the time to think about hobbies while working at home.

10. in actual terms, RTR items are not more expensive than they ever were (under £200.00 for a forthcoming RTR Hornby A2/3 - half that of a complete kit!). That said, kit components seem to be increasing in price.

I agree although I struggle with £200 for a RTR loco more than £200 for a kit. Probably because I know I can blow a  lot of money very quickly on RTR but with a kit I've got to build it which will stop me buying the next one for a while.

11. The age profile in the hobby has never been at a higher average, which probably means a glut of items coming on the market in the not-too-distant future; at lower prices? Supply and demand?

I can't disagree but people have been saying that for a long time.

12. Some clubs might not survive for much longer, and not just because of Covid. Which asks the question, how many exhibitions will return?

Our club has never been healthier -  when we're allowed to go! We'll be down to six people per night from next week.

I'm confident exhibitions will return and I expect a good year or two when we can see the results of all the extra time people have had in lockdown to work on layouts. After that, who knows.

13. We've never had it so good!

Agreed.

The above are really just some current musings. Please feel free to disagree, and to add your own thoughts. My list certainly isn't comprehensive, nor even consistent! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Tom F said:

Thanks Andrew, that means a lot.
Yes, I remember filming that, it  was enjoyable to film and capture the 'trains going by'. Always had a soft spot for the GCR, once shows return it would would be good to see the layout again.

My modelling mojo has taken a bit of a dip recently. Model Railways is the biggest thing in my life (sadly), and I use it as my go to place with everything going on in the world at the moment. My issue recently is I've burnt myself out with the 'Awdry' modelling....lost complete interest, in doing so I feel a bit lost.

A glimmer of hope is that I'm acquiring a layout 'Humber Dock' from my friend Ian Everett. Originally built to P4 I will be reverting it to OO so I can mix my BR stock with other layouts. It does mean I'm currently researching the railways of Hull and Humber area, which is hopefully re igniting my modelling interest.

Might have to have a go at kit building again (An N8, or the mighty T1 perhaps!)

118480309_10157886288917984_2600227023622011185_o.jpg.512ad5caa40a90844d3f50ba4852fe30.jpg

All the best Tom,

Find me a kit of a T1 and I'll build it for you. I'm bound to have some stuff which needs weathering in exchange.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I notice a tongue-in-cheek comment about spelling. Even cheeky, perhaps.

Mo and I are considering buying a (new to us) car. We've been to one of the local Ford franchised garages and a short time ago I received an email from a 'Used Car Executive Salesman'. Or it might have been 'Used Car Sales Executive' (one cannot be gender-specific these days. 

This was part of it............ 'Sorry its taking a little longer than I would of liked it too.'

I've half a mind to walk away!

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony, I've had a go at responding to your thoughts below.

I'm not sure that's true. I think that people are making scenery (including structures) rather than rolling stock. I know we both prefer to see locos and stock, but there is a lot of good modelling going on - hence 4. below.

Agreed, although some interesting new kits are arriving in new media such as from isinglass.

Agree about the standard being higher. I was out of the hobby and didn't go to any shows between 1984 and 2012 but I would say running is much better than it was in the '70s and '80s and I haven't detected a deterioration since I've been back. I don't agree with 'annoying' sound. For me sound brings the layout to life but I know we have to agree to differ here. I would hope you would recognise that sound is creative and requires some skill on the part of the purchaser to fit - at least for the more up market sound installations.

I would certainly agree with that. I have bought many basket cases off eBay but I quite enjoy sorting them out. On the plus side I did a white metal kit building workshop at our club a while ago and yesterday I saw the first complete (except for painting) running loco as a result of it - a Wills T9. I've had a long series of phone calls during lockdown talking my friend through the construction. It runs beautifully and looks great. 

Sadly true. I think eBay has much to answer for here as second hand values seem to have gone up. And it's easier to sell something unaltered because the purchaser knows what s/he it getting.

Agreed. 

I do find that astonishing. Although I must admit to disliking fitting a decoder to kit built locos. Something always seems to go wrong!

Agreed. I think lockdown may have encouraged this. Our club has gained four new members aged (at a guess) between 30 and 60. People who have had the time to think about hobbies while working at home.

I agree although I struggle with £200 for a RTR loco more than £200 for a kit. Probably because I know I can blow a  lot of money very quickly on RTR but with a kit I've got to build it which will stop me buying the next one for a while.

I can't disagree but people have been saying that for a long time.

Our club has never been healthier -  when we're allowed to go! We'll be down to six people per night from next week.

I'm confident exhibitions will return and I expect a good year or two when we can see the results of all the extra time people have had in lockdown to work on layouts. After that, who knows.

Agreed.

Thanks Andy,

We appear to agree on several things. Astonishing!

Regarding folk paying others to do their modelling, there are several adverts offering a decoder-fitting/detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering service. Good on them I say.

The most 'astonishing' example of 'inability' I think I've ever come across was when someone had a loco where the bogie wheels' back-to-backs needed a slight adjustment (the bogie had derailed on a point). 'Put it on XXXXX's list of things to do, I pay him a retainer'. 

I fixed it in seconds (astonishing what a back-to-back gauge can do), for nowt!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

6. There is more of a reluctance now for folk to 'alter' what they've bought (in case it decreases the value?). 'Oh, I've just spent £XXX on that model and by improving/altering/renumbering/renaming/weathering it it'll be devalued. Anyway, if I keep it mint/boxed it'll appeal to collectors'. What has happened to the notion of 'improving' something? Time was when, say, the likes of the Model Railway Constructor used to show us how to change a Tri-ang B12 into a D16/3; or even a B12/3! Or, as Clive has mentioned, altering a Hornby Class 25 into a Class 24? Or, is it that the models are so good now at source that they don't need to be improved? And, the Tri-ang B12 was pretty grotty anyway! 

Is the eBay that's responsible or Hornby, Bachmann et.al. moving towards batch production? The move meaning there's often long gaps between reruns and virtually every model being a limited edition. Certainly current production methods are a far cry from say the 1980s when you could go into any hobby shop and buy just about anything from the current catalogue there and then.

Steven B.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

fixed it seconds (astonishing what a back-to-back gauge can do), for nowt

When I got back into layout building one of the first things I bought. I had been surprised by the number of posts about model X is rubbish, keeps falling off the track and someone would reply it's because the manufacturer Y used rubbish wheels, you need some of brand Z. When you check out the said wheels they cost nearly as much as the wagon. I deduced that most of the running problems I had were wheels hitting check rails, switch blades and crossing noses or bad electrival contacts. On checking the wheels I found that the range of measurements on my RTR wagons between the extremes was about 1mm. Now any mew RTR item has the wheels checked for back to back, free rolling and in the case of locos the wheels including the pick up contact points are clear, the pickups correctly set up and the rods don't foul. Cures 90% of problems. Most of the others are detail bits not fixed on properly.  These thing usually take just a few minutes and are well worth the effort.

Eric

• Like 5

On 10/09/2020 at 17:03, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Roy,

Could it be a Stanier 8F in the prototype picture of 60533?

I've seen shots of that class working on the main line south of Grantham. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I agree with Roy I never saw a Black Five @ Grantham although of course an ex-Chester example 44911 was allocated to 34A for just over a year in 1958 / 1959 . I don't think she would have got to Grantham though,more likely only as far north  as Hitchin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

We appear to agree on several things. Astonishing!

Regarding folk paying others to do their modelling, there are several adverts offering a decoder-fitting/detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering service. Good on them I say.

The most 'astonishing' example of 'inability' I think I've ever come across was when someone had a loco where the bogie wheels' back-to-backs needed a slight adjustment (the bogie had derailed on a point). 'Put it on XXXXX's list of things to do, I pay him a retainer'. 

I fixed it seconds (astonishing what a back-to-back gauge can do), for nowt!

Regards,

Tony. 

I hope we agree on most things apart from DCC, tension locks and roof ribs!

The ‘inability’ becomes even more astonishing when some items are posted to the repairer/ installer and then posted back again. That probably costs more than the cost of the installation. And given Jesse’s experience, one May receive back a pile of bits with perfect back-to-backs!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Is the eBay that's responsible or Hornby, Bachmann et.al. moving towards batch production? The move meaning there's often long gaps between reruns and virtually every model being a limited edition. Certainly current production methods are a far cry from say the 1980s when you could go into any hobby shop and buy just about anything from the current catalogue there and then.

Steven B.

There may be an element of that, but I’m sure ~I remember being able to buy stuff second hand for less than half the cost new whereas now it seems to be 2/3 or more. Sometimes second hand on eBay is more expensive than new from the box shifters!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Tom F said:

Thank you both of you, and just to say, I really enjoy seeing your modelling, that is a great escapism in itself!

I promise this is the last I'll say, because I appreciate I'm taking up space on Tony's thread.

I have relied on the hobby to give me strength through my Dad's terminal illness, and now I live alone...through loneliness.

Lockdown has been difficult, and now the hobby is my job 'weathering' I don't have it as the same form of escapism as I once did, or at least in my mind I have to keep my own modelling separate. Covid and the current situation hasn't done my mental health a lot of good, and my weight ballooned as a consequence. I'm back on track with this now, losing 16 pounds in the last three weeks.

Places like the forums are my only outlet, as a form of support. The only family I have now is my biological mother who is of no support at all, if anything I feel like the parent in the relationship. I'm seeing a counsellor which is helping, and I've my wonderful border collie.

Apologies for blurting all this out here, I'm just feeling very lost right now.

Hi Tom,

I think some of the replies to your original post give an indication of the support I have come to expect seeing on on this thread, and I am very much in agreement with the other replies' sentiments.

The world is a crazy, unpredicable and frankly worrying place at the moment and the effects of lockdown etc. are invidious and cumulative.  Something like modelling is such an important escape mechanism and it is potentially so very helpful not just to you, but to many of us - certainly me, anyway. All I can say is that your mojo will come back because anyone with the kind of specialised skill in weathering, modelling and filming etc. that you possess, will always find it again. And the world will move on. George Harrison's song words title is most apt - All things must pass.

The main thing is not to put yourself under pressure because of how you feel at the moment. And if you're struggling to get much creative stuff done, remember that we all need a break from the things we love sometimes, in order to come back to it refreshed.

What a fantastic piece of filming of the LCSG layout. You've really brought out the atmosphere - the most important thing for a model in my opinion. I've not seen this before and it ticks all the boxes for me. I do hope you get a chance to heed Andrew's plea for more filming of LCSG and give us all another show. I might be biased because of where I grew up, but LCSG is a tremendously evocative layout with much of what runs providing real links to my childhood memories. 

As my dear old mum used to say when things went wrong for me, 'Keep your up!'. I have absolutely no idea what it means but it seemed to work.

Keep your up.

Clem

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Have I come to any 'conclusions'? Perhaps. These might be (in no particular order)...... 

1. There's been a diminishing of folk actually making things, particularly locomotives and, to a lesser extent, rolling stock (ironically, Covid might have had the opposite effect, but I can't tell first-hand). This might be because of improved RTR (which, to be fair, is now often better than what many could make for themselves; and, it's usually considerably cheaper). 

2. The number of new kits being made available (again, particularly locomotives) has also diminished (cause and effect?). 

3. Far more layout I see at shows and in the press seem to be much the same; again, with regard to locos and rolling stock. And, in several cases, there's a proliferation of RTP buildings/structures. The corollary of this is the smaller number of scratch-/kit-built items, and this is not just in OO. 

4. The general standard of layouts in general at shows has never been higher in terms of presentation/appearance/lighting. However, I wish I could say the same for the running on some of them. Many of these layouts represent the BR steam/diesel transition period. That's why it's refreshing (at least to me) to see, say, a pre-Grouping depiction where, out of necessity, much more will have been made. More and more layouts are controlled currently by DCC (which doesn't always improve the running!) and many now have (annoying?) sound, often too loud!

5. Though I have no 'hard' evidence (other than talking with the manufacturers) most kits (particularly those for locos) are never finished to complete satisfaction. This is substantiated by the number I've seen bought off eBay (not by me; it's as mysterious as nuclear physics!), where many are just a mess. When I say 'complete satisfaction', I admit, that's subjective, but many I've seen don't run well, are glued together and are painted with tar! 

7. Where 'personal' alterations to RTR stuff have taken place (particularly with regard to weathering), the results can be stupendous. This is an area where things are better than they've ever been (at least in my view).  For someone to be almost 'apologising' for not building kits is nonsense. 

8. More folk seem to be paying to have their modelling done by others for them, even to the extent of not being able to fit decoders themselves! 

9. An encouraging sign is that there are some fine, younger modellers out there; and I stress the term 'modellers'! Those who actually make things for themselves, are keen to learn and, most importantly, are 'not afraid'. 

10. in actual terms, RTR items are not more expensive than they ever were (under £200.00 for a forthcoming RTR Hornby A2/3 - half that of a complete kit!). That said, kit components seem to be increasing in price.

11. The age profile in the hobby has never been at a higher average, which probably means a glut of items coming on the market in the not-too-distant future; at lower prices? Supply and demand?

12. Some clubs might not survive for much longer, and not just because of Covid. Which asks the question, how many exhibitions will return?

13. We've never had it so good!

The above are really just some current musings. Please feel free to disagree, and to add your own thoughts. My list certainly isn't comprehensive, nor even consistent! 

Tony

An observation if I may, on each of just two of your points:

6. For me the difference between a collector and a modeller is that a collector imagines that he is investing in something which may accumulate in value - especially "Mint in Box", whereas a modeller sees his purchase as a consumable - so he has no qualms about altering it.

11. I'm not sure that the increase in age profile is not at least partly due to the combination of our living longer, together with our being from an era where it was possible to accumulate a reasonable pension to see us through a (relatively) comfortable retirement. Previous generations did not live so long once retired and had less disposable income to fritter away on playing trains!

Tony

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Clem said:

Keep your up!'

Ha ha! I should check what I post. It's supposed to say 'Keep you p eck er up' but without the spaces between p and r. RMWeb must have automatically removed the word. Anyway, Keep your up! I'll have one of the T-shirts, Andrew. (When my mum used it, I think it meant nose - and with it your head)

Edited by Clem
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clem said:

Ha ha! I should check what I post. It's supposed to say 'Keep you p eck er up' but without the spaces between p and r. RMWeb must have automatically removed the word. Anyway, Keep your up! I'll have one of the T-shirts, Andrew. (When my mum used it, I think it meant nose - and with it your head)

In that case, I shall stick with Super fun with wiggley pipes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

6. For me the difference between a collector and a modeller is that a collector imagines that he is investing in something which may accumulate in value - especially "Mint in Box", whereas a modeller sees his purchase as a consumable - so he has no qualms about altering it.

I would argue there are plenty of collectors (of all sorts of items, not just model trains) who have no interest in investment value.

People who purchase purely to invest are speculators and God save us from them if the Sunday supplements start talking about model trains as "investments".

Bit of Loco doctoring for me today. I bid for on ebay and won a Weaver O gauge 2-8-0 loco - I've been after one of these for years. The price was very reasonable as was the postage (it weighs a ton). These locos were built for Weaver by Samhongsa  in Korea, a well known maker of brass locos. The body is die cast as is the tender - hardly any plastic anywhere hence the weight.

When placed on the track it wouldn't run, just a click forward & reverse with the motor (and me !!) humming. So, first port of call was off with the plate underneath (3 screws).  I found the problem immediately, a seized wheel bearing locking the loco up solid. A touch of WD40 and twist with a pair of snipe nosed pliers after lifting the axle slightly freed it off. The rest of the loco was lubricated (not with WD40), plate replaced & back on the layout - Bingo !! - she ran perfectly with no waddles clicks grunts or groans.  

234357807_Weaver2806.jpg.6df2d6f503af132efe9d64423e35a739.jpg

She has a large flywheel motor, and romped away with a 20 car train of coal hoppers usually  hauled by a pair of diesels.

IMG_1457rszd.JPG.c4e543b3bef6e64cda46a4cb8f49b144.JPG

A useful addition to the layout. 

Earlier this month I was making coal loads for my rake of hopper wagons - 20 of them using a base of foam waterproof tile board, real coal, white wood glue then when set sealed with a coat of Johnsons Klear. The fun bit was bashing up the coal !!

IMG_1426rszd.JPG.1c0233e3a291b9fc3b28538952976278.JPG

Brit15

• Like 15

1 minute ago, APOLLO said:

Tony - Brave man you are to tell your story.

Glad your OK now - don't despair we have all had our "moments".

Brit15

Many thanks, but not brave at all.

In the words of Woody Allen 'I usually get beaten up by Quaker dwarfs', or is that politically-incorrect? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5