Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I agree with all the comments praising this effort so far, and it is only being very picky to point out a fault. As has been demonstrated, the general appearance is excellent. My concern is the edge detail. I cannot see the corner of the wall, but the edge of the window should be one brick (i.e. a brick laid lengthways) alternating with 1/2rd brick (i.e. one brick laid widthways) wide. Cut bricks would only be within the length of the wall. However, how to model this with English Bond would be very difficult using sheet materials. I suppose that if the vertical cut was in line with the edge of the headers (those showing 1/2 brick face) as long as 3/4 of the stretchers (those showing a full brick length on the face) was showing, would be acceptable, but may require the dimensions of the building to be slightly adjusted to fit. Stretcher Bond may be easier, provided the vertical cuts line up with the brick ends on alternate courses. Again, the overall dimensions may need to be slightly adjusted to line up at both ends and at window edges.

Having said all this, from normal layout viewing distance, it would be hardly noticeable, and so probably hardly worth the effort. Is is only in close up photos like this that it would stand out at all.

Lloyd

I do know people who go to those lengths but decided long ago that life was too short and only the worst nit pickers would worry about such things in 4mm scale.

When I model in 7mm scale, I do hand scribe all my brickwork to get those details right but I just don't feel it worthwhile in 4mm. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Nobody would probably notice unless I pointed it out (is that a brick laying joke in there, hidden in the weeds).

I hope there are no mortar come...

To clarify my earlier post, I certainly wasn't denigrating Tony's work - quite the opposite.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A point about 'observation', if I may.

On many occasions, I've been critical about Bachmann's A1......................

675121511_BachmannA1KingsCourier32-557.jpg.03b885a69ee8ea910b9fafc4be99729a.jpg

The footplate beneath the cab is low in comparison with the tender's soleplate. I know both vehicles (particularly the tender) can ride at different heights whether full or empty, but this just seemed too much.

Going through pictures for a future article, I came upon the one below...............

130049182_TornadoCreeton1161303.jpg.f1f140ee3bbafcdf5376d7fc3522550c.jpg

Granted, this is nearer what it should be (it's a prototype, after all), but look how the cab itself is nor vertical, and that the numbers and lining on it are not horizontal, and not parallel with the central footplate or the tender's lining. If these were replicated on a model, wouldn't it look wrong? 

Morning Tony

The cab on 60163 is on the wonk. If you look at the hand rail along the boiler and follow through to the tender lining they appear to be in the same line, and straight. The cab looks like it is tilting back somewhere between 5 to 7.5 degrees from the vertical.

• Agree 2

Hi Tony

Regarding Tornado's cab slant, I enclose two photos of 60163 which I took at Didcot MPD when she was in BR Brunswick Green with early crest the livery before the BR Blue and the cab I think looks perfectly straight in my photos.

Regards

David

IMG_7505_edited-1.jpg

IMG_7512_edited-1.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Spelling
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

That is truly terrible, and to celebrate - or should that be commemorate? - I have duly accorded it my first ever 'groan' button.

Same here. You have to acknowledge high class humour when you see it.

Which is why it got a "groan" rather than a "funny".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Granted, this is nearer what it should be (it's a prototype, after all), but look how the cab itself is nor vertical, and that the numbers and lining on it are not horizontal, and not parallel with the central footplate or the tender's lining. If these were replicated on a model, wouldn't it look wrong? 

Not as wrong as those blood-and-custard Mk 2’s!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Going through pictures for a future article, I came upon the one below...............

The thing that sticks out the most (by a country mile) in this photograph in my, most humble, opinion is .......

.... the colour of Tornado, whoever thought that blue was a good colour for such a locomotive (whether originally or more recently)?

TAKE COVER!  Now where's my tin hat?    

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

20 minutes ago, PupCam said:

... whoever thought that blue was a good colour for such a locomotive ...

130049182_TornadoCreeton1161303.jpg.f1f140ee3bbafcdf5376d7fc3522550c.jpg.c97b94f35945ac0b49fd1c9b1ea9a41c.jpg

.... but it does point to the probable thought processes of those selecting a livery for a newly Nationalised railway system, created at the behest of a Labour government; as near to red, white and blue as was practicable in the steam railway environment!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, the static photos of the loco in green display no evidence of misalignment.

That clearly present in the action shot suggests a combination of (possible) causal factors, a near-empty tender riding high, and the rear of the loco "sitting down" under load.  

John

• Agree 1

A point about 'observation', if I may.

On many occasions, I've been critical about Bachmann's A1......................

675121511_BachmannA1KingsCourier32-557.jpg.03b885a69ee8ea910b9fafc4be99729a.jpg

The footplate beneath the cab is low in comparison with the tender's soleplate. I know both vehicles (particularly the tender) can ride at different heights whether full or empty, but this just seemed too much.

It is possible to "fix" the Bachmann version, as I think you've done.

Other that building a kit which for some brings in other issues, Hornby's Tornado is far better sorted with respect to the lining up of the cab and tender, it also has a cartazzi with better relief though only suitable for few of the originals?

A friend has a Hornby Tornado, I was  surprised how strong it was. It bettered the latest Bachmann version (early examples were awarded the wooden spoon in that respect anyway). But I was also surprised how good the lining was better than Bachmann. i felt it wouldn't take much effort to make a decent original A1. Tender mods body and chassis, smoke deflectors and handrails. Not sure what else.

With respect to the prototype Tornado. The camera is cruel, it's not perfect. I suspect we're more demanding of models and less forgiving?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, davidw said:

Not sure what else.

I think the cab and boiler fittings are slightly lower on Tornado to fit the national loading gauge.

No doubt LNER4479 will be able to give us chapter and verse on how Tornado differs to the original A1s.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Interestingly, the static photos of the loco in green display no evidence of misalignment.

That clearly present in the action shot suggests a combination of (possible) causal factors, a near-empty tender riding high, and the rear of the loco "sitting down" under load.  

John

Hi John

It is the other side.

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody got any firm evidence other than one photo to prove whether the cab is leaning back or not.

A quick internet search throws up a number of images, taken close up of the cab side and showing the relationship between the cab and the tender, that would suggest that any apparent lean may have been due to something else other than the cab being about to fall off.

http://www.britishrailwaystories.com/2012/12/post-Hornby-announcement-few-thoughts.html

Is one.

Of course any photo is a snapshot of what something looks like at a particular moment and doesn't prove that it was always like that.

A slight track irregularity or the natural different motion of the loco and the tender may have combined to create that impression just at that moment but the idea that a loco would be built and nobody would notice that the cab is wonky on one side until somebody posts a photo on RMWeb is a bit much for me to take it as proof!

I haven't checked but I am pretty sure that the cab sides slope in at the top. A slight roll of tender or loco would create an impression that there is a lean.

I remain open to being convinced otherwise!

Having said that, I have seen or heard of real locos with wonky cabs. I recall Malcolm telling me that i his days as a loco inspector he was once called out to an ex LMS Black 5,. It wasn't a type he was familiar with but he told me you didn't have to be an expert to see that several bolts holding the cab on were missing and the rest were loose. You had to anticipate which way the cab was going to sway, which was not the same as the way the loco went. If you got it wrong, you could get clonked on the hand  or even head by one of the controls.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Has anybody got any firm evidence other than one photo to prove whether the cab is leaning back or not.

A quick internet search throws up a number of images, taken close up of the cab side and showing the relationship between the cab and the tender, that would suggest that any apparent lean may have been due to something else other than the cab being about to fall off.

http://www.britishrailwaystories.com/2012/12/post-Hornby-announcement-few-thoughts.html

Is one.

Of course any photo is a snapshot of what something looks like at a particular moment and doesn't prove that it was always like that.

A slight track irregularity or the natural different motion of the loco and the tender may have combined to create that impression just at that moment but the idea that a loco would be built and nobody would notice that the cab is wonky on one side until somebody posts a photo on RMWeb is a bit much for me to take it as proof!

I haven't checked but I am pretty sure that the cab sides slope in at the top. A slight roll of tender or loco would create an impression that there is a lean.

Having said that, I have seen or heard of real locos with wonky cabs. I recall Malcolm telling me that i his days as a loco inspector he was once called out to an ex LMS Black 5,. It wasn't a type he was familiar with but he told me you didn't have to be an expert to see that several bolts holding the cab on were missing and the rest were loose. You had to anticipate which way the cab was going to sway, which was not the same as the way the loco went. If you got it wrong, you could get clonked on the hand  or even head by one of the controls.

Evening Tony,

I would agree, I don't think there is a problem. just the tender crabbing about a bit at speed.

Tornado's cab comes off from time to time - seen here at Wenselydale railway in January this year - it's designed to be fairly 'quick release' and is a fairly practised procedure by now. I'm equally sure other full-size loco cabs are similarly detached. They're quite flexible structures and do move around a bit at speed! (Picture from https://www.a1steam.com/2020/01/)

image.png.af5361831a3bf3618651d0de1565ac70.png

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

28 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Is one.

Good evening Tony,

I didn't think my picture would create quite so much interest. 

My 'evidence' for the cab leaning back slightly on TORNADO (at least on this particular occasion) is not so much the relationship between the loco and its tender (which is a constantly-changing dynamic), but that if one takes the horizontal handrail on the cab and the horizontal (shorter) handrail on the firebox, the two are not parallel; and they should be. The latter is horizontal and the former dips down to the rear. I agree, it's really only evident in tight perspective, but the two elements would never change their orientation - unless the cab were loose! 

60508 used to have a 'leany-back' cab for a time (I hope I built mine vertical), as did 60044, and 60009 when first repaired at Bridgnorth had its L/H cabside leaning inwards. 

How 'accurate' should we make our models, I wonder? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Or is it something to do with the weight of the tender on the drawbar/rear of the locomotive.   Here are a couple of shots I took of 60007 at Bath in 2008.   There is a definite downward slope to the tender and corresponding upslope on the loco.

PICT0003-1.jpg.35528ee385af43987c3480be1459fcf8.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg.56cac9f8ec7579a3351ab462997445ac.jpg

John

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

... if one takes the horizontal handrail on the cab and the horizontal (shorter) handrail on the firebox, the two are not parallel; and they should be. The latter is horizontal and the former dips down to the rear. I agree, it's really only evident in tight perspective, but the two elements would never change their orientation - unless the cab were loose! 

You'd be surprised! Remember that the firebox end of the boiler assembly is NOT rigidly fixed at that the end of the frames to allow it to 'breath' as it expands and contracts. I have seen a piece of cab footage from the 2017 100mph run and the amount of relative movement between the cab and firebox backhead is ... well ... quite frightening!

A wonky cab when photographed stationary is a different matter. Stanier 4-6-0 cabs for some reason seem quite prone to it.

Full-size rail vehicles are surprisingly flexible things all round and a wonky looking cab could simply be the loco sitting on a piece of uneven track.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Tony,

I didn't think my picture would create quite so much interest. 

My 'evidence' for the cab leaning back slightly on TORNADO (at least on this particular occasion) is not so much the relationship between the loco and its tender (which is a constantly-changing dynamic), but that if one takes the horizontal handrail on the cab and the horizontal (shorter) handrail on the firebox, the two are not parallel; and they should be. The latter is horizontal and the former dips down to the rear. I agree, it's really only evident in tight perspective, but the two elements would never change their orientation - unless the cab were loose! 

60508 used to have a 'leany-back' cab for a time (I hope I built mine vertical), as did 60044, and 60009 when first repaired at Bridgnorth had its L/H cabside leaning inwards. 

How 'accurate' should we make our models, I wonder? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good evening Tony,

the two handrails that you are comparing are not parallel from the angle that you are viewing. That on the firebox conforms to the inward angle of the firebox, from the tubeplate back to the cab. Thus it is diverging inwards from the parallel compared to the cab handrail. If the two handrails are parallel in a plan view on your DJH A1's,then the shape of the firebox is wrong. The effect is visible below.

tornado1.jpg

Edited by Headstock
angle better than curve
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2