Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

The etched covers, good as they look, also make the coupling rods stand out further from the wheel, reducing clearances.

I wouldn't argue with any of that - I am fortunate in that I model to 16.5mm. gauge.

The Markits wheel centres really don't bother me - it's just that I am currently building a series of Kemilway kit chassis, and the etched covers are supplied.

I'm about to build the Kemilway valvegear for a BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T; it will be interesting to see how the clearances work out, and if I have to remove the etched axle covers.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Tony and all, 

With your knowledge of LNER kits in 4mm have you or anyone else seen or know anything about these etchings for a J38 and J39. There are no details with them, no name or reference numbers. Perhaps they were someone having a go, they certainly would need some work. The one thing not with them are boilers, although they would be easy enough to roll in brass.  If this is not allowed in the thread, please feel free to delete it. Many thanks in advance for any help, from anyone. 

Regards

Duncan 

mystery.jpg

Edited by Blandford1969
Forgot to add the photo (middle aged moment)

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

If they are available in a diameter, number of spokes and crankpin location that suits. Diameter and one of the other two is usually okay but for those that model the LNWR (and probably many other  pre-group railways) there is often nothing available from Ultrascale. That's why Sharman Wheels were usually the answer, even if it took some work to make them run acceptably.

Compensation (or springing/CSBs) provides other benefits, such as improved pickup and better adhesion, particularly for smaller, lighter locos.

Hi Jol,

Improved pickup - yes, better adhesion - no, we've been here before.  Improved adhesion is not supported by the maths, and has been demonstrated as incorrect by experiment.

Apologies,

Frank

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Jol,

Improved pickup - yes, better adhesion - no, we've been here before.  Improved adhesion is not supported by the maths, and has been demonstrated as incorrect by experiment.

Apologies,

Frank

I'll take your word for the adhesion Frank, but personally I feel that a surefooted, compensated loco  "works" better than one with a rigid chassis.

14 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

You may be interested in the following videos which I prepared to compare and contrast the look and ride characteristics of Gibson v's Ultrascale wheels.  When I recently built my J7's to test assemble the etches I had designed I fitted one of them with Gibson wheels and the other with Ultrascale. 

Good Afternoon Frank, 

It's quite eye-opening when you see them side by side (or should I say top by bottom). It's just a shame that with Ultrascale, the range is limited and the lead time between ordering and receiving them quite long, though it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as before. As a matter of interest, do you use a wheel press with them or do you hand fit and quarter them?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I still don't think that any of the wheels available to modellers tick every box. Each has its good and bad points.

A wheel that looks like an Ultrascale but fits like a Markits and has a price like a Gibson would do very nicely. A 4mm version of the O Gauge Slaters wheel would do the trick apart from perhaps on the price and I for one would worry about that least of all.

Until that time (very likely never), we all make our choices and work around the problems in our chosen ways.

I believe that Alan Gibson did have plans for wheels with self-quartering axles, though I've heard nothing since.

As to what the sad death of Brian Rogers recently may mean for the Ultrascale range is an unknown.

I suspect the idea of self-quartering Gibson wheels has been dropped entirely. I enquired about the further prospects a few years ago, but formed the impression that the maker, perhaps for good reasons, had no enthusiasm for further development of the scheme.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I believe that Alan Gibson did have plans for wheels with self-quartering axles, though I've heard nothing since.

As to what the sad death of Brian Rogers recently may mean for the Ultrascale range is an unknown.

I did see the first samples of the self quartering wheels and one RMWeb member had them to try out on a loco.

My understanding was that there were problems getting the axles made in the right sorts of quantities for a sensible price.

I don't know how much Brian Rogers was directly involved in Ultrascale in recent times. I was led to understand that he had taken more of a back seat and that somebody else, possibly his son, was doing much of it.

A note on their website says that his passing may impact on lead times but it looks as if the products will continue to be available. 

It would be a great shame if his legacy in terms of such good quality products was to fall by the wayside but it doesn't look as if that is an immediate danger.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Good morning Tony and all, 

With your knowledge of LNER kits in 4mm have you or anyone else seen or know anything about these etchings for a J38 and J39. There are no details with them, no name or reference numbers. Perhaps they were someone having a go, they certainly would need some work. The one thing not with them are boilers, although they would be easy enough to roll in brass.  If this is not allowed in the thread, please feel free to delete it. Many thanks in advance for any help, from anyone. 

Regards

Duncan 

mystery.jpg

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Weren't they at Kirbymoorside? (if that's the correct spelling). 

They were and still are. The linked model railway side of the business was at Tanfield in Co. Durham. Set up there to take advantage of the Gov. grants to encourage companies into the area following the closure of Consett Iron Works.

A few got their fingers burnt with that enterprise. Following the demise of the Model railway side of the operation I think most of Tanfield stuff fell into the hands of Slaters never to be seen again. The late Dave Alexander usually had a few spares from the J39 under his exhibition stand.

The etched J39 is not Micrometalsmiths. That made considerable use of brass castings including the boiler. A phot of much modified (and undergoing restoration) MMS J39 can be found in the below post,, along with another phot  (by Mr Wright) in tha post above it.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi,

Don't know what the minimum radius you are aiming for is?  The way I arranged the bogie meant that there was no need to cut away the inside of the cylinders to allow for swing of the front bogie wheel in EM.  It will be even better with OO clearances.  The benefit of the control pin at the rear of the bogie is that it stops the main frames from swinging too far in either direction which is normally the case if  it is only the coupled wheels controlling the swing.  It also stops the rear bogie wheels touching the main frames.  I should add that I still needed the centre bogie pivot inserted  through a curved slot but only as a means of attaching the bogie to the frames, the pin was doing all the control work.

Cheers,

Frank 

I can see a good case for the effective lengthening of the rigid wheelbase of an Atlantic. I think perhaps there's scope for trying out a combination of the best features of two methods of bogie guidance. The central bogie pin, moving in its curved slot that eases the bogie forwards as it steers aside, obliging the front wheels to stay forward of the cylinder fronts, plus a pin as you have used keeping the rear of the bogie on the centre-line of the loco, but free to move a little in a slot along that centre line, thus accommodating the slight forward displacement of the bogie on curves.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

51 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Evening All,

I discussed briefly my 'plan' (such as I ever have one) to just close the gap between the footplate and the chassis frame on the Trice/Comet V2 I'm in the process of making.

Here is the before (I could sometimes see the wheels behind the splasher tops)

IMG_7104.JPG.6077f4db59dbc8aefd1e74a48a812a84.JPG

And here is the after: 

IMG_7103.JPG.251f0b5882dc66a9d4b62082c29683d4.JPG

In order to achieve this, I simply used some old bits of plasticard to fill the gap. Although the footplate on the V2 was largely flat, as far as I can discern, I'm happier with this result than if the frames were visible. Once it's all black it should blend in quite nicely. In my opinion a worthwhile but small improvement on a lovely model.

Here's the bones of the operation:

IMG_7107.JPG.3500a552c3aaeb0229a73388a161765a.JPG

Sorry for the clutter and unprofessional phone pics! It's just the mess and chaos that I like to work in. Usually about 6 sqare inches.

A neat solution, Tom,

I certainly didn't go this far with the two I've done. They're being painted right now by Geoff Haynes and I hope shadows will hide most of the 'gaps'.

Regards,

Tony. 

29 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A neat solution, Tom,

I certainly didn't go this far with the two I've done. They're being painted right now by Geoff Haynes and I hope shadows will hide most of the 'gaps'.

Regards,

Tony. 

I do like to try and make things difficult for myself sometimes! :jester:

• Friendly/supportive 3

Good morning everyone, I wonder if someone can help me out here.

I'm wanting to recreate 4488 in this pictured condition, but I'm unsure what type of tender is being used. Google says 4488 always had a corridor tender, but looking at this image, I'd say she hasn't got one?

Thanks in advanced,

Dylan.

IMG_6257.jpeg

• Like 2

Mel Haigh's account of what tenders were used where (accessible here) is reckoned to be authoritative: he states

Tender Nº5325 - 1928 Corridor Type.   A44488UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA17/4/193722/3/1948

Tender Nº5332 – 1928 Corridor Type.   The tender was retained at Doncaster Works, and was attached to Class A4 Nº60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA (in for a General Overhaul 16/7/1963 to 6/11/1963), 6/11/1963 to withdrawal 1/6/1966, when the Tender was not scrapped but was purchased by Alan Pegler and converted into the water carrying second tender for the preserved Class A3 FLYING SCOTSMAN.

Tender Nº5484 – 1928 Corridor Type.   The tender remained with Nº60004 until withdrawal on 17/7/1966. Again the tender did not go for scrap but was transferred to Class A4 Nº60009 UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA (it having lost its tender Nº5332 to FLYING SCOTSMAN) 17/6/1966 into preservation 10/9/1966.

Tender Nº5591 – Streamlined Corridor Type.  A4  60009  UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA  14/5/1948   16/7/1963

Tender Nº5636 – 1936 Non Corridor Streamlined Type.   A460009UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA5/5/194814/5/1948

According to that, the only time 4488/60009 did not have a corridor tender was for two weeks in May 1948.

Is your photograph dated?

After all that, Tony can probably tell just by looking anyway.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks chaps, that's very annoying as my donor model has a non-streamlined tender! Oh well... back to eBay. I'm pretty certainly my donor model will make a nice representation of Capercaillie, so I'll have a crack at her. 

The photo is captioned as LNER 4488 Union of South Africa suitably illustrates the new livery at York Shed during 1938.

1 hour ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Good morning everyone, I wonder if someone can help me out here.

I'm wanting to recreate 4488 in this pictured condition, but I'm unsure what type of tender is being used. Google says 4488 always had a corridor tender, but looking at this image, I'd say she hasn't got one?

Thanks in advanced,

Dylan.

IMG_6257.jpeg

It's a 1928 corridor tender, Dylan - ex-A1/A3. 

No non-corridor A4 tenders had beading.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

If anybody's interested, here's a little update on my bubblewrap underlay trial.

I think this looks quite good, interesting to see if the stock movement will alter the placement of the track.

Because of your original post the other day, on my way home from work tonight I went to our local stationery shop (Officeworks) and got a big roll of bubble wrap, thinking I might give it a go. When I got home I asked my partner what I should do with the roll I'd bought. She said 'pop it in the corner'. It took me ages.

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
typo
  • Funny 12