Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Regarding the potential station buildings for the Edenham layout, I think the second picture, with the larger station building looks quite good and reminiscent of the situation at Horncastle:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/horncastle/

Thanks Steve,

Yes, a substantial building for a little-used line.

Regards,

Tony. 

All this discussion of Lord Willoughby and his railway reminded of a piece of music by the Elizabethan composer John Dowland.The piece, My Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home I saw performed by the late Julian Bream at the Sydney Town Hall in 1969.I remember Bream in his introduction to the piece saying that Lord Willoughby was not home very often but when he was quite a fuss was made of him. Was Dowland's Willoughby an ancestor of the one who owned the railway I wonder?

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Which is more appropriate?...........................

Ian Wilson is pondering on the most-suitable station building for his Edenham project.

1502982231_Edenham22.jpg.26888e068233cbdd23009cae773fc32d.jpg

This 'modest' affair was the first try. 

915126684_Edenham21.jpg.81a2c8c6b1a3cbb11973a8065116ad88.jpg

However, perhaps a more-grandiose one is appropriate (as befits a private railway to a great country seat, even though the Castle is just over a mile away?). 

This is based more on the station/stationmaster's house which served the little station at Thurlby (the house still stands) on the long-closed Bourne-Essendine line.

Any thoughts, please?

Note the Sprat & Winkle-fitted wagons, the work of Rob Kinsey and me..................

Maybe a similar building to the now public house at the other end of the line would give a nice match and provide a 'house' style?

Hello Tony,

Great to see Ian's project coming to life - do I recognise the solitary somersault signal?(!)

I'm inclined to agree with those who prefer the second style of main station building. I think, as already mentioned, that there's plenty of 'Lord Muck of the Manor' examples up and down the country. More importantly, it's a far more individual building for Ian to indulge in compared to the rather predictable RTP example shown - it's his (Ian's) project to have fun with after all!

The blended photographic backscene looks very effective in the latest photos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Hello Tony,

Great to see Ian's project coming to life - do I recognise the solitary somersault signal?(!)

I'm inclined to agree with those who prefer the second style of main station building. I think, as already mentioned, that there's plenty of 'Lord Muck of the Manor' examples up and down the country. More importantly, it's a far more individual building for Ian to indulge in compared to the rather predictable RTP example shown - it's his (Ian's) project to have fun with after all!

The blended photographic backscene looks very effective in the latest photos.

Good afternoon Graham,

'do I recognise the solitary somersault signal?(!)'

I hope so, since you made it (beautifully). It won't surprise you to know that it will not be operated by a Veissman motor................

I'll post some further pictures later today/tomorrow.

Regards,

Tony.

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Lee,

Many thanks for all that; and thanks to others for their comments.

You mention the Kirkby Underwood extension, which then (if built) would have linked up with the GNR Bourne-Sleaford line. I think Ian's idea was that it had been built beyond Edenham, but then been subsequently closed at the time the Bourne-Sleaford route was run down; leaving a 'withered arm' beyond the A 151. All interesting supposition. 

Finally, and a link with the local railways, can there ever have been a grander station building than that at Bourne? It could claim to be the oldest railway station in the world. How many others sold tickets in an Elizabethan manor house? The Red Hall.  

Tony

Not so grand but probably older. The original building that was used as the ticket office at Ingatestone dated from 1557. 

Bernard

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, bbishop said:

Something substantive, but no bigger than necessary.  So the stationmaster would have three bedrooms at first floor level (more above?), two reception and kitchen below.  Booking office, booking hall, ladies' waiting room in a single story building and gents' facilities in a lean to.  The variable would be any company offices, which could be above the passenger area.  Bill

How about Brocklesby with Lord Yarborough's personal private waiting room.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ian Wilson is pondering on the most-suitable station building for his Edenham project.

However, perhaps a more-grandiose one is appropriate (as befits a private railway to a great country seat, even though the Castle is just over a mile away?). 

This is based more on the station/stationmaster's house which served the little station at Thurlby (the house still stands) on the long-closed Bourne-Essendine line.

Any thoughts, please?

Note the Sprat & Winkle-fitted wagons, the work of Rob Kinsey and me..................

Wasn't the terminus of the line in what is now the coal yard at Edenham? If so, perhaps the adjacent pub might be useful from an architectural point of view.

image.png.63da197d51644421d32086d1bbb2d70e.png

Regards

Ian

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Wasn't the terminus of the line in what is now the coal yard at Edenham? If so, perhaps the adjacent pub might be useful from an architectural point of view.

image.png.63da197d51644421d32086d1bbb2d70e.png

Regards

Ian

It could be Ian,

Many thanks.

However, I believe the line crossed the road just to the west of the Five Bells.

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold
On 08/10/2020 at 21:13, Tony Wright said:

Any thoughts, please?

Huttons Ambo station was very grand for the villages that it served.  Why?  It was the nearest railway station to Castle Howard. It's the sandstone building with  the arched windows. Photo is copied from the Wikipedia site.

Huttons_Ambo_railway_station_(site),_Yorkshire_(geograph_3255389).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

(I discount the GWR steam railmotor as what you see is essentially a carriage with a chimney - I can hear St Enodoc grinding his teeth at this statement!)

Not at all! The present "GWR" railmotor is a modern reconstruction so doesn't really count - and anyway it's not much different from those LNER Sentinel thingies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Not at all! The present "GWR" railmotor is a modern reconstruction so doesn't really count - and anyway it's not much different from those LNER Sentinel thingies.

There is a Sentinel thingie in Tasmania, which I saw in Tullah.  I believe it was moved to the Don Valley Railway.  Apart from one set, the passenger compartment was bare, and the engine unit had been removed.  It appeared to be the same type as the LNER Sentinels, and would make a unique project for restoration-after all, the GWR railmotor body was in terrible condition, and with no engine.

• Informative/Useful 4

The ever-present problem of how to disguise the entrance/exit from layout to/from fiddle yard. 

524523277_Edenham31.jpg.13be832661a0eb77b7d782bb9568272d.jpg

This is the case on Edenham; the popular 'hole in the sky'. 

There is no convenient overbridge in the vicinity (in fact, I think the only one on the line carried the Witham Road - could that be moved?). Of course, it's really only the camera which sees this point of view.

I could remove the hole in Photoshop, but (as is known) I prefer my model railway pictures to 'show it as it is' (other than removing intrusive backgrounds above/behind layouts). 

1416424447_Edenham32.jpg.9e60125ff9252f2cecd8a9860b181293.jpg

Of course, with a train present the problem is lessened considerably. 

I'm lucky with Little Bytham in that there are two overbridges which disguise the entrances/exits 'on the straight' (which is absolutely imperative for realism) from normal viewing angles. That said, on the 'moving' LB presentation which is being edited for inclusion in the forthcoming virtual exhibition in November, with the camcorder placed at rail level looking due north or south, the trains do appear/disappear (off scene) on curves. 

It's a trainset after all! 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, jrg1 said:

There is a Sentinel thingie in Tasmania, which I saw in Tullah.  I believe it was moved to the Don Valley Railway.  Apart from one set, the passenger compartment was bare, and the engine unit had been removed.  It appeared to be the same type as the LNER Sentinels, and would make a unique project for restoration-after all, the GWR railmotor body was in terrible condition, and with no engine.

Hi John

Yes I've seen that and have photos. There's also one of the Tassie ones at Bellarine  Peninsula in your state.

Talking of Sentinels I've  just ordered a Dia 96 body from Worsley works along with three GC  Parker bodies, two of which will replace D&S bodies, the incorrect BTK and also the TK with the bodies with the modified beading for later periods.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have got some more done on my D154 full brake :) Darryl Tooley of the LNER Society kindly answered my appeal Facebook for a photo so now I know that the toplights are plain glass and above each door is a ventilator hood (different size to passenger doors so will need to modify the MJT ones or make new!).

1233949286_D154-13-lowered.jpg.1dcd5972c51409ff006accca2b4f80dd.jpg

After re-reading the Isinglass drawing notes we decided that only the York built D111s had oval buffers to standard clipped top ones for this coach. I had to lower the underframe down a bit too as there was too much gap between the bogies and underframe (as also spotted by @Headstock!). Both ends of the roof are Gorilla glued to the aluminium extrusion (it's good stuff!) but still need to blend them in a bit more. I've not decided on the best way to fix it to the body yet though. Progress :)

Oh and of course the hinges are in place too.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 16

On 10/10/2020 at 10:25, Tony Wright said:

The ever-present problem of how to disguise the entrance/exit from layout to/from fiddle yard. 

There is no convenient overbridge in the vicinity (in fact, I think the only one on the line carried the Witham Road - could that be moved?). Of course, it's really only the camera which sees this point of view.

Hope you don't mind Tony but I did a little manipulation of your image to see if the 'hole' effect could be lessened.

Adding more foliage to the trees on either side of the formation helps to lessen the effect along with moving the water crane to the right so that it hides the left hand edge of the hole when viewed from the angle you've taken the image.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SP Steve said:

Hope you don't mind Tony but I did a little manipulation of your image to see if the 'hole' effect could be lessened.

Adding more foliage to the trees on either side of the formation helps to lessen the effect along with moving the water crane to the right so that it hides the left hand edge of the hole when viewed from the angle you've taken the image.

Edenham Remixed.jpg

I don't mind at all Steve,

It might be a good idea to do it for real.

Regards,

Tony. 

4 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but is the cream & blue signal box scratch built or made from a kit? If it's from a kit, what make of kit is it. I need one almost exactly like this for my little layout.

Thanks,

William

I don't mind anyone asking questions, William.

It is a 'kit', but I'd better qualify that. As the one-time proprietor of Prototype Models, Ian Wilson has a long pedigree in designing cardboard kits for buildings. Originally, they'd be produced on the drawing board, but now he just designs them on his computer. He then prints them out on paper (using non-fugitive inks), makes a card skeleton and sticks the prints on. 

I'll ask him if he'll make you a kit for the little 'box.

I count myself immensely fortunate (in a slightly perverse way) that despite Ian's incredible skill at producing buildings, he's something of a dud at making locos. He fights shy of soldering, glues them together (which means they subsequently fall apart) and they never run properly; excellent! Because, in exchange for my building of locos for him (and metal rolling stock) I have many buildings, bridges and structures which grace Little Bytham. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

DNE Smith will be turning in his grave!  It was about to be "got rid of" at Didcot.. then Dave used a fire axe to show it had windows at each end.. by putting the axe through the plated over windows. The underframe had a plate over the lozenge shaped  cut out in the floor...  New boiler from teh Leeds and Bradford Boiler Company - none of this German stainless steel carp.. it used the original drawings and is a thing of great beauty!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 6