Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Strange, isn't it, that the glue holding the main bits together (though it could be solder) has bonded much more substantially than the stuff which is (was) supposed to hold the seats, tables and partitions in place, inside?

I think there’s a ‘law’ for that but I won’t repeat it here!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Andy

Although they are "latest design", the Bill Bedford / Mousa Models 3D printed kits for GNR 6 wheeled carriages that I've recently built did not have what I considered to be a good arrangement for later access to the interiors, so I made a modification to those. As supplied, it would appear (although there are no specific instructions on the matter) that the main body module is meant to be glued onto the floor / solebars / headstocks module, and (once the glazing is slotted in) the roof is a clip-fit onto the rest of the assembly. It is demonstrably possible to un-clip the roof again, without damage, if you are both careful and lucky, but I know of some who haven't manage to do that without grief. I therefore glued, as firmly as possible, some plastic blocks into either the lower corners of the body modules, or under the moulded seats at the corners of the floor module, so that either screws through the floor from below, or pins through the carriage end, depending on what would actually fit in with the rest of the model, could be used to mount the body separably on the underframe. That saves any worries about removal of the roof, and in fact opens up the opportunity to glue down the edges of the roof, thus avoiding any undesirable gaps between roofs and sides.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Clem said:

Well, panic over! Just back from Bingham and I don't know what they closed the road for at the level crossing, but it wasn't to demolish the signal box. To clarify why I was so worried about it, they actually published the date that they intended to demolish it a couple or so years ago and there was such an outcry from the local community that they deferred it. But they made it clear at the time that it was just a temporary reprieve. So I am much relieved that it still stands and while it does, there is hope it will eventually permanently survive.

Doesn't look like anything changed over the weekend, this is Lowdham box, well the last bits, a few minutes ago

IMG_20201012_131746143.jpg.727b60325c3a073a91270ee0ba635b20.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I use very similar methods, because I always think it's better to have the roof permanently attached to the body/ends. Either way, it's highly-desirable to be able to subsequently get inside a carriage after it's been built/painted.

I acquired this set of beautiful Connoisseur 7mm S&D coaches a little while back. While they're painted and lined to an outstanding standard, I can't see any way into them without risking damage to the finish. It's a shame as while nothing has come loose, I'd like to be able to add passengers. If they weren't built so nicely, I wouldn't be so concerned about damaging them.

train.jpg.bcb612f831a72e36b8b11e116e8cce1b.jpg

I have an equivalent set to build in 4mm so with those I will certainly be making the insides accessible.

Al

• Like 8

1 hour ago, great central said:

Doesn't look like anything changed over the weekend, this is Lowdham box, well the last bits, a few minutes ago

I wonder why they've taken the window frames out? It doesn't make a lot of sense unless they're somehow trying to remove the lever frame without taking the roof off. (Good luck with that, if so). 

I always think of Lowdham as having (to my knowledge) the last main line single slip in Notts into the single siding which was the goods yard. In the end it was taken out a few years back but there's still some isolated track there.

Edited by Clem

1 hour ago, Iain.d said:

I have finally completed my latest 1980s Hornby Stanier rebuilds: a D1903 Composite Open and a D1999 Third Open – I say finally as these two seem to have taken an age. Mind you I’ve also been doing a GW Auto Trailer and an LMS Restaurant Car, a Ratio SR wagon, and a half dozen or so other little jobs…as well as working, keeping a house, getting the garden ready for summer, having a WA holiday staycation….so I can’t really complain!

Here they are, pre the body being fitted back to the chassis. I have probably ‘over painted’ the interiors for what will, and can, be seen through the windows. But if I ever get around to building a layout and I end up taking pictures, sure as eggs are eggs there’ll be some part of the interior that hasn’t been done. There’s also the possibility, one day, that I might fit interior lights.

D1903 Composite Open:

1957312521_D1903M9755M(2).jpg.89f30ad86962d7c335f8fa18ee4914d3.jpg

D1999 Third Open:

1475212352_D1999M9436M(2).jpg.6dc08b7063f1bf5a9893a24752aed521.jpg

And complete, less corridor connectors. I think they scrub up pretty well and stand a reasonable level of scrutiny.  I'm not quite satisfied how the ends mate up to the sides and roof, but that's related to the original design by Hornby and not worth the effort to rectify, but with the added detail of filler pipes, handrails, gangway suspension thingies, lamp brackets, electrical connectors and alarm gear the right impression is there.  The roof ribs are reasonably pronounced, but I can live with these; in some of the images I have of these carriages they were/are quite obvious, much more so than the BR Mk1. I've also built these to run in rakes of like vehicles (bar the odd one or two) so, as they are all the same, the ribs are kind of hidden in plain view, if that makes sense. I need to cut back the bogie fixing bolts.

1368219093_D1903M9755M(1).jpg.e18aa3f9262906147e40134b20c62b26.jpg

115770352_D1999M9436M(1).jpg.cea2ef7d0ea7a5174c5a2d9915b2cb89.jpg

I am quite pleased how the curtains and table lamps came out in the first class section of the D1903. The curtains are blanket ribbon (I think that’s what it’s called) glued to a little frame cut from plastic card, I then tie a couple of wraps of cotton about a third of the way up to represent the tie backs – everyone is slightly different. The little assembly is then glued to the back of the glass. Though a faff and fiddle to make I think these are better than painted on curtains. I never had much luck with the MJT ones either, I could never get them to look more than a painted casting - due to my inability rather than the product!

224599944_D1903TablesandLamps(Close).jpg.ad20fdd72e3e6a5646c90dcdf46bb0c5.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

Beautiful work, Iain,

Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tony. 

On 11/10/2020 at 06:01, great central said:

When I passed the one at Lowdham yesterday, Midland admittedly, it was just a skeleton. All windows removed so expect that's in it's last days as well.

Bit by bit, our railways are becoming less and less 'railways' and evolving into something else.  I don't know what, but I am sure I am at an age where I will not like it, because the sense of loss is too great.  Until covid, I would have said they were evolving into some sort of mass transit system entirely run by hard seated EMU and bi-modes of one family.  Now, I'm not even sure that's a certainty.

I read today that passenger levels are at their lowest since the 1850s... even allowing for the inevitable 'journalism' aspect of the story, I have to wonder what if anything 'mass transport' can survive an extended period of covid...   

Only a year ago I was regularly flying in KLM and BA 747sand 777s to China, HK, and both US coasts... planes almost all gone, airlines like ghosts...

Perhaps it's the weather, but I do feel awfully glum today.  

• Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Yet another new engine enters traffic during the never ending lock down . Just to show I don't just build pacifics this is a Nu - Cast K.1 2-6-0 .No .62042  was one of the last working from York , only moving to West Hartlepool on 30/04/067 . It's duties at York were usually making up trains in the engineers yard & tripping them to where they were needed for track work .

Ray .

P1010464a.jpg

P1010465a.jpg

Very natural Ray,

Just as I remember seeing it, at York in October 1965. I didn't take its picture, but took another K1 (62010) dead, along with a few A1s and V2s on the scrap lines. 

It was ironic, because there was a line of locos all built post-War (with the exception of the V2s) waiting for scrap, when alongside chuffed a pre-Grouping J27, in gleaming condition!

I have three K1s which run on Little Bytham..............

1833116215_K1s03.jpg.03b87d99e52e6eab22cc14c352a84ff0.jpg

From left to right we have 62070 (DMR/Wright/Foster), 62038 (Nu-Cast/Houlden/Wright) and 62018 (Nu-Cast/Wright/Haynes). 

I used to have a Hornby (detailed/renumbered/weathered) one, but sold it on because it was never used.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2020 at 18:36, drmditch said:

'Sentinel thingies' 

So, high pressure watertube boilers, (well some of them), poppet valves - what's to dislike?

Good articles in RCTS and ..... here....

It might be that diesel engines were improving throughout the interwar years, but in the late 20s and early 30s the Sentinels provided a service with advanced steam technology.

Anyway, I like my Dia89 car.

908441472_Post_03-Copy.JPG.481b71667584bb8933fd52c78298456b.JPG

And I still have aspirations to build 'Phenomena' as well.

Lovely model :). Is it scratchbuilt or is it a kit and if so, whose kit is it please?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Bit by bit, our railways are becoming less and less 'railways' and evolving into something else.  I don't know what, but I am sure I am at an age where I will not like it, because the sense of loss is too great.  Until covid, I would have said they were evolving into some sort of mass transit system entirely run by hard seated EMU and bi-modes of one family.  Now, I'm not even sure that's a certainty.

I read today that passenger levels are at their lowest since the 1850s... even allowing for the inevitable 'journalism' aspect of the story, I have to wonder what if anything 'mass transport' can survive an extended period of covid...   

Only a year ago I was regularly flying in KLM and BA 747sand 777s to China, HK, and both US coasts... planes almost all gone, airlines like ghosts...

I think this lack of travel demonstrates just how pointless a lot of it was. We seem to have been gadding about "adding value" when all we've been doing is adding cost. When it boils down to it, all we need is warmth, food, water and shelter. The rest of it is "added value", however we seem to be achieving things without the travel, the main thing that worries me is not the lack of travel, but the lack of venues where artists, musicians, dancers, comedians can ply their trade and earn a living.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Chas Levin said:

Lovely model :). Is it scratchbuilt or is it a kit and if so, whose kit is it please?

I'm flattered! It is scratchbuilt, using parts of a very old Triang coach. It could be better, but I have not seen any other models of the Diagram 89 car, with the articulated engine portion.  

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It's easy to feel that what is going on today is a new status quo; it's not. 

Covid will have changed some aspects of life-as-it-used-to-be forever, and the arrival and implementation of vaccination will not allow a return to it in every aspect. It has accelerated changes that were already in motion anyway, and I'd anticipate we'll start seeing more as the complete "new normal" emerges. 

The airline industry has, in ecological terms, been a major part of the problem for a very long time and Covid has just brought forward the day when it will have to become part of the solution or die. What price Heathrow's third runway now?

Rail too will change, I don't see firms being able to deal with home-working by all their staff all the time but the fall in numbers commuting five days a week will inevitably continue. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it was becoming ever more, difficult and expensive to cater for increasing peak-hour commuting in mature cities like London which then became less unpleasant and fuelled demand even more. The need for much of what we previously thought was going to be required will be deferred, at the least.

That should free up resources for reducing the environmental impact of the industry and improving its appeal in areas/regions that have been neglected for decades and where poor quality and overcrowded trains have no hope of attracting substantial numbers of commuters from their comfy and (maybe) soon to be self-driving, but ever more prone to congestion, cars. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, drmditch said:

I'm flattered! It is scratchbuilt, using parts of a very old Triang coach. It could be better, but I have not seen any other models of the Diagram 89 car, with the articulated engine portion.  

Excellent work - and I've never seen the articulated version in model form either, well worth doing and I wonder why it hasn't been done more often?

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2020 at 09:50, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

I think others have expertly explained how to 'divide' their carriages.

Many thanks to them.

I use very similar methods, because I always think it's better to have the roof permanently attached to the body/ends. Either way, it's highly-desirable to be able to subsequently get inside a carriage after it's been built/painted. As you know, I have a few 'damaged' Coachman's carriages which I've been able to repair (to an extent). However, because there's no easy way of now getting inside them (everything is 'permanently' fixed together with glue or solder!), things like pushed-in windows and internal detail free to currently move around (because the Evo-Stik has failed) cannot really be satisfactorily remedied; which means that some of those carriages have sides which face away from viewers! Strange, isn't it, that the glue holding the main bits together (though it could be solder) has bonded much more substantially than the stuff which is (was) supposed to hold the seats, tables and partitions in place, inside?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

the ex BSL ones can be taken apart as the roof and sides are held on with Evostick. You can then repair windows, sets etc, then carefully reglue the roof in place. I have done this on a few of the ex Lawrence/Larry coaches before selling them

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A change of plan......................

I had originally started making the part-started J6 acquired from the late Roy Jackson's estate in EM Gauge. However, Retford already has three J6s, but very few V2s. Thus, my subsequent EM chassis constructions will by 2-6-2s in EM Gauge. 

Anyway, it's now built in OO Gauge................

215415982_EMJ607.jpg.132c09f2c7d3508772bdb45c3f0f41c4.jpg

It's running with a borrowed tender from another J6.

527623490_EMJ608.jpg.8b594651243a9102bbea99c3a73247cd.jpg

The worm can just be seen beneath the backplate. Despite 'howls of anguish' from some quarters about visible drives, once this is painted, with a crew installed, I'll defy anyone to be able to see it. 

1052390828_EMJ609.jpg.d61b71828b1dcfe85125f158f47340d7.jpg

It's a mixture of scratch-built and Nu-Cast Partners parts, to make a 521 series J6 (something not really catered for with the Nu-Cast kit).

Now, to make an appropriate symmetrical-wheelbase tender................

Having said that Retford has three J6s (suggesting enough?), this will bring Bytham's complement of the class up to five (too many?), although one of those is on the M&GNR bit. 

At least nobody will think they're RTR.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Tony

the ex BSL ones can be taken apart as the roof and sides are held on with Evostick. You can then repair windows, sets etc, then carefully reglue the roof in place. I have done this on a few of the ex Lawrence/Larry coaches before selling them

Baz

Thanks Barry,

I wonder why Larry 'sealed' the coaches he built? I've made BSL carriages in the past which can be separated. 

I think it's accepted that being able to subsequently get inside carriages is no bad thing. I wish some of the RTR makers of passenger rolling stock would accept that.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Here is a photo taken from an old 35mm slide of mine from 47 years ago which might be of interest. (Apologies for the less than perfect quality.)

When I joined my local club the chairman, Ronnie Cockburn (sadly now very recently deceased) was an avid modeller of the Caledonian Railway. At his request, he had received a Hornby model of a Southern M7 as a Christmas present from his wife. She was somewhat aghast to find him, a few hours later, cutting through the front of the footplate with a modelling saw. At that time there was no kit available for the CR 439 class but a shortened version of the M7 could be made to quite closely resemble the 439.

34454828_CR439Class.jpg.0d78da7153eee883fec99cc4e59b1351.jpg

This prompted me to try the very same modification and the loco in the photo is the result of my efforts. I stripped off the SR green livery, cut and shut it, resprayed it and lined it with a bow pen. I appreciate now how much detail is missing, lamp irons, smokebox details, lamps and a crew but I did add real coal and a three link coupling. 

I was about 17 at the time and I was really proud of it. I sold it three years later for twice what I had paid for it!

Archie

Rite of passage for most ScR modellers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2