Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Good to see your Elizabethan set. 

I recently gave Sandra's (formerly Roy Jackson's) Elizabethan set on Retford a bit of an overhaul. Apart from the Bachmann Mark 1s, it appeared to be built from Comet kits although I don't know whether the sides were Comet or another make. The wheels were mostly very dirty and not very free running but have now been serviced. Roy did not have quite the right formation for 1957 but, handily, there was a pressure-ventilated Thompson SK in the Flying Scotsman set so I was able to swap it with a Mark 1 SK in the Elizabethan to make the set correct for 1957, which was the only year it ran in maroon still with the buffet car and two ladies' retiring rooms. It was also the last year in which the Aberdeen portion had a Thompson SK. The only Bachmann Mark 1 remaining in the set is the BCK at the rear. 

Good evening Robert,

Roy's Elizabethan set was built from Southern Pride sides and Comet components. He saw what I'd done and must have thought that 'butchering' RTR carriages was rather 'beneath' his approach. The irony is is that I think the set runs on Comet bogies. And, at the time, Comet didn't make the Gresley HD sort. 

1075577630_Retford72007.jpg.ebe99dea0cbe39b17819be1bf0c457f6.jpg

He made a very good job of it. I imagine the painting was Roy's, but the lining/lettering would probably have been completed by Geoff Kent.

As you know, MERLIN now carries lamps. 

Tangentially, one problem with the Trix/Lilliput/Bachmann BR A4 body shell is that the front numberplate 'wedge' is moulded way too high up. It really needs cutting off and a new one fixed on, just about level with the the top of the nameplates.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Robert,

Roy's Elizabethan set was built from Southern Pride sides and Comet components. He saw what I'd done and must have thought that 'butchering' RTR carriages was rather 'beneath' his approach. The irony is is that I think the set runs on Comet bogies. And, at the time, Comet didn't make the Gresley HD sort. 

Yes, I think they are Comet bogies (not 100% sure). Some of them remained on the track when I lifted up the carriages as they had lost the nuts holding the bogies on.  I rather suspect that the Elizabethan set had not been lifted and serviced for a very long time, if ever. A few of the back to backs were a bit out too and have now been adjusted.

Edited by robertcwp
Clarify a point.
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, 30368 said:

Thanks for all that information Tony, a really positive contribution to the hobby. I have a number of Bachmann Thompson coaches and would I be right in thinking that the etches are still available? I would be using them on South Coast trains from the North.

Again, quite exceptional pictures, 27 looks very fine but then I guess it should!

That wonderful BT film of "The Elizabethan" stirs great memories except for the silly commentary!  Sadly I was too young and poor to have a trip on it but did a few trips on the Night Scotsman going North although it was diesel hauled, my first railway "free pass" was used to visit York, Gateshead, Darlington Works, Tyne Dock and N/S Blyth. Seems so distant now such a different world.

On one occasion I had a nice run behind an A3 from York to Leeds, think it was Blink Bonny but I could, and as my family remind me, often wrong!

Kind regards,

Richard B

The BTF Elizabethan entirely captures was the ECML was.  The dialogue may creak somewhat today. but that's the way it was.  

A superb piece of film-making, entertaining and a valuable historical record.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jrg1 said:

The BTF Elizabethan entirely captures was the ECML was.  The dialogue may creak somewhat today. but that's the way it was.  

Couldn't agree more. BTF is an excellent source of first class documentary film that builds on the work of the pre - WW2  pioneering work of the Post Office Film Unit.

As is the case with all historical documents (and film is so) it is the unwitting testiment, the underlying assumptions of the film makers that is so valuable. To name a few:

Snowdrift at Bleath Gill from 1955 - a great tale of team work.

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/btf/productions/films/BT0213/BT213.html

This is York from 1953 - just a great film of railway practices that have gone.

http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/btf/productions/films/BT0067/BT67.html

The catalogue is well worth looking through - I have often thought that a BTF night would go down well at club nights, that is, when they start up again!

Sorry to go on but this is a perhaps neglected source of railway knowledge and entertainment in these difficult times.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

13 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Good to see your Elizabethan set. 

I recently gave Sandra's (formerly Roy Jackson's) Elizabethan set on Retford a bit of an overhaul. Apart from the Bachmann Mark 1s, it appeared to be built from Comet kits although I don't know whether the sides were Comet or another make. The wheels were mostly very dirty and not very free running but have now been serviced. Roy did not have quite the right formation for 1957 but, handily, there was a pressure-ventilated Thompson SK in the Flying Scotsman set so I was able to swap it with a Mark 1 SK in the Elizabethan to make the set correct for 1957, which was the only year it ran in maroon still with the buffet car and two ladies' retiring rooms. It was also the last year in which the Aberdeen portion had a Thompson SK. The only Bachmann Mark 1 remaining in the set is the BCK at the rear. 

Snap!

I do like the 1957 formation. All maroon (both smart and much easier to paint!) but still including the buffet car and only one boring mark 1 to put up with. I made mine from SP sides on Bachmann donors with MJT heavy bogies and I used the full four SKs so not upsetting Dave’s etch balance! 

The SP sides are excellent. You get a lot for your money, they’re pre rolled which is a great help and there are the extra bits in the kit to do the roof...all for under £10. Sadly the ordering process is as antiquated as the price....but you can’t have everything!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

We quickly got back to "Let's point out all the things that we find wrong on Retford" mode.

What a dreadful shame. 

I was once advised that whenever you point your finger, there are three more pointing back at yourself.  

Edited by Chamby
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

We quickly got back to "Let's point out all the things that we find wrong on Retford" mode.

What a dreadful shame. 

Good morning Tony,

"Let's point out all the things that we find wrong on Retford" mode.

I don't think that's the case at all. 

Most of the recent mentions have been in response to observations and comments. When I did my Elizabethan, Roy asked me about it, ordered the sides from Dave Lewis (which I'd help create), but decided to go down a 'purer' path than mine, building all the cars from metal, not using 'butchered' RTR. I did say he made a fine job of making the train (how does that square with finding fault?), but, ironically, didn't fit HD bogies (which the cars should really have). 

As for Robert's comments about how 'stiff' the running was, please look at the forthcoming BRM virtual exhibition, where moving footage of Retford is included (which I'd hardly have taken if so many things were 'wrong'). There must be nearly two minutes showing MERLIN romping along on the set, but as she goes off-scene at the south end, the loco is really struggling. Why is it 'wrong' to check, clean and lubricate a train - indeed all the trains? Or, is it wrong to mention that it's necessary? Is it also 'wrong' to comment on how an A4's 'face' can be improved by less than five minutes' work with a scalpel and pieces of Plastikard? 

Whatever happens to Little Bytham after I'm dead will be of no concern to me (though I'm glad nobody took notice of Roy's suggestion; which went along the lines of 'After I've gone, chuck Retford in a skip, or burn it!). If somebody else takes it on and makes it more accurate, more detailed and ensures it always runs well, then I'd be delighted - especially if it were reported upon. 

There is a huge interest in Retford's further progress, part of which has been generated on here. Sandra's intention is to run the railway (much more than Roy ever did), make it run as 'perfectly' as possible (and, my God, Roy would have insisted upon that) and eventually complete it. If all of that requires 'improving' things (lamps on locos/trains), routine (and very necessary) maintenance and reporting on progress (by herself and via others), I think that's a very positive step. It has nothing to do with finding fault.

I believe folk really want to know how she's getting on.

Have you not had to do some routine maintenance on Buckingham? You tell us many of the locos are 'knackered'. I'd say that's no more 'finding fault' than finding out that there's been little maintenance/cleaning on Retford's trains.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Snap!

I do like the 1957 formation. All maroon (both smart and much easier to paint!) but still including the buffet car and only one boring mark 1 to put up with. I made mine from SP sides on Bachmann donors with MJT heavy bogies and I used the full four SKs so not upsetting Dave’s etch balance! 

The SP sides are excellent. You get a lot for your money, they’re pre rolled which is a great help and there are the extra bits in the kit to do the roof...all for under £10. Sadly the ordering process is as antiquated as the price....but you can’t have everything!

Thanks for the comments on the SP sides, Andy,

One thing I'd forgotten to mention was that I hand-formed the first ones, using a brass jig and a piece of skirting board! I don't know how many scores I produced, but that was part of the deal. I probably did those for Retford (so if they're 'wrong', blame me!).

On the first test etches, Dave had half-etched 'Southern Pride' on the backs of the lower sides, but this showed up as creases at the front once the sides were formed. This idea was quickly abandoned. 

Getting fed up with hand-forming each side, I asked Alan Buckenham (of Comet Models at the time) if I could pop over to his house and use the press which formed all Comet's etched sides (thanks once more, Alan). Impressed with the speed and greater-accuracy of the press process, Dave went out and bought one himself. I think my fingers and thumbs have finally recovered. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh yes!

I second that St Enodoc

I saw Retford at the beginning of the century at an exhibition at a leisure centre is Watford when it was an expanse of bare boards with track beginning to appear. I just stood and stared trying to grasp the magnitude of the undertaking. I remember looking at other members of the public and they were as wide eyed and open mouthed as I was.

I’ve always looked out for any mention of Retford in magazines and more recently on YouTube and as an avid modeller and model railway fan I think it’s brilliant not only that Retford has been saved but that Sarah is generously allowing it a little more exposure to those of use who are not involved.

A huge thank you to Sarah and all other contributors to Retford

Edited by Dragonboy
Spillung
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

I second that St Enodoc

I saw Retford at the beginning of the century at an exhibition at a leisure centre is Watford when it was an expanse of bare boards with track beginning to appear. I just stood and stared trying to grasp the magnitude of the undertaking. I remember looking at other members of the public and they were as wide eyed and open mouthed as I was.

I’ve always looked out for any mention of Retford in magazines and more recently on YouTube and as an avid modeller and model railway fan I think it’s brilliant not only that Retford has been saved but that Sarah is generously allowing it a little more exposure to those of use who are not involved.

A huge thank you to Sarah and all other contributors to Retford

In fairness, Roy was reticent about Retford being 'shown', which I can understand and respect. I always had the great privilege of being able to photograph it whenever I visited. It was a privilege I never abused, and it's allowed me to build up an extensive picture library.

That privilege is carrying on, if not more so with Sandra (as much as current restrictions will allow). In fact, she wants as many pictures taken of Retford as possible, and, though I certainly won't show every one on here, she's delighted that there's such an interest. If some of those pictures show things 'made better' or more-accurate, that in no way detracts from the heroism which Roy employed in actually building the epic in the first place. 

At the moment I'm writing an update piece on Retford, to be published in next year's spring issue of BRM, with further articles stretching into the future. I once said, Retford will be 'the greatest model railway ever made', and I stand by that. Sandra is very happy for me to do this, and I'm very happy to do it. 

Roy was less enthusiastic about writing articles. On one occasion I was there he showed me what he was preparing. 'What do you think?', he asked. I don't think my comment was over-critical (more, encouraging I thought - or hoped), but he just grabbed the hand-written notes off me and threw them into the open fire! 'You're just like Geoff!' he said. 

In my view, the layout is so important in the history of the hobby (the on-going history) that it needs to be reported upon, such is the enormous interest. I'm only the 'happy-snapper' and scribe at the moment - a privilege indeed! 

Whether it is 'the best' is open to opinion, but it's my favourite layout of all time. It's a personal time machine, and I'm back over 60 years ago, standing with hordes of my contemporaries adjacent to or actually on 'the wall', yelling 'STREAK' at the top of my voice! No made-up layout, however well-done and important, will ever better that emotion.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Yelling 'STREAK' at the top of your voice these days will get you arrested !

Agree though Retford is a wonderful model railway, and I've only seen photos of it. Long may it prosper.

Brit15

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

"Let's point out all the things that we find wrong on Retford" mode.

I don't think that's the case at all. 

Most of the recent mentions have been in response to observations and comments. When I did my Elizabethan, Roy asked me about it, ordered the sides from Dave Lewis (which I'd help create), but decided to go down a 'purer' path than mine, building all the cars from metal, not using 'butchered' RTR. I did say he made a fine job of making the train (how does that square with finding fault?), but, ironically, didn't fit HD bogies (which the cars should really have). 

As for Robert's comments about how 'stiff' the running was, please look at the forthcoming BRM virtual exhibition, where moving footage of Retford is included (which I'd hardly have taken if so many things were 'wrong'). There must be nearly two minutes showing MERLIN romping along on the set, but as she goes off-scene at the south end, the loco is really struggling. Why is it 'wrong' to check, clean and lubricate a train - indeed all the trains? Or, is it wrong to mention that it's necessary? Is it also 'wrong' to comment on how an A4's 'face' can be improved by less than five minutes' work with a scalpel and pieces of Plastikard? 

Whatever happens to Little Bytham after I'm dead will be of no concern to me (though I'm glad nobody took notice of Roy's suggestion; which went along the lines of 'After I've gone, chuck Retford in a skip, or burn it!). If somebody else takes it on and makes it more accurate, more detailed and ensures it always runs well, then I'd be delighted - especially if it were reported upon. 

There is a huge interest in Retford's further progress, part of which has been generated on here. Sandra's intention is to run the railway (much more than Roy ever did), make it run as 'perfectly' as possible (and, my God, Roy would have insisted upon that) and eventually complete it. If all of that requires 'improving' things (lamps on locos/trains), routine (and very necessary) maintenance and reporting on progress (by herself and via others), I think that's a very positive step. It has nothing to do with finding fault.

I believe folk really want to know how she's getting on.

Have you not had to do some routine maintenance on Buckingham? You tell us many of the locos are 'knackered'. I'd say that's no more 'finding fault' than finding out that there's been little maintenance/cleaning on Retford's trains.

Regards,

Tony. 

When Buckingham came my way, I saw my task as to maintain and uphold the reputation of the builder. Perhaps even to enhance it by taking Leighton Buzzard out and showing it to a more modern audience. There are many things wrong on Buckingham. Models built from just a photo that are not dimensionally correct, locos with the wrong wheel size or spoke numbers, etc.

I could easily draw attention to such failings but I choose not to. To say that something is worn out after 75 years continuous use is not quite the same as saying "He was good but he got this that or the other wrong but don't worry, I am here to sort it out".

I don't feel the need to prove to the world that I know more or that I am a better modeller than Peter Denny by pointing out things he got wrong. He was a genius and as far as I am concerned, whatever I do to Buckingham, I am merely standing on the shoulders of a giant.

Yet enhancing your own reputation seems to be exactly what is happening with you, Roy and Retford.

Progress reports are one thing. That is all well and good and here is probably the best place for them. Having said that, many members of the "Retford Mob" were happy working away in private, without their work being shared with the rest of the world.

It is not about fixing things, improving things or anything like that. That is how it should be. Everybody gets things wrong sometimes. My problem is in you telling the world "This is what Roy did wrong but I am here to save the day".

Why not just fix the problem and have the self satisfaction. That is what I do on Buckingham.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think pointing out things that are 'wrong' in peoples models is important as it allows them to correct the error and makes sure that others don't make the same mistake.

Let's take the positioning of this A4 number plate. If Tony didn't mention it then some unsuspecting modeller could think 'it's like that on Retford so it must be correct'. This being more about the high standing that Retford has and the assumption that 'everything' will be correct. 

Of course, what people should do is get a photo of the actual prototype and do their own research but I expect there are many who will be more than happy to cut corners if they can.

Tony doesn't only point out errors in other people's modelling by way of constructive criticism. He's pointed out errors in his own work and I'm sure he's more than happy for people to find his errors and point them out to him too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

It is not about fixing things, improving things or anything like that. That is how it should be. Everybody gets things wrong sometimes. My problem is in you telling the world "This is what Roy did wrong but I am here to save the day".

That is certainly not my intention. I'm making a small contribution to building on what Roy achieved and improving things a bit where I can. This includes adding and rearranging some stock to tweak the train formations a bit and replace missing stock, trying to make the stock run a bit more freely so the engines don't struggle with it and adding a few small details here and there, such as gangway end boards, tail lamps, pipes and dropped head buckeyes on the rear of formations. COVID permitting, the next steps will include adding some more carriage roof boards, reducing the use of those Bachmann pipe couplings and adding thin card gangways to close up the gaps between the gangways on Bachmann Mark 1s (already done on the Heart of Midlothian). 

Already the Talisman has been restored to a full matching formation with the missing BSO replaced with one off of the West Riding, where a Hornby one has replaced it, the Heart of Midlothian now has a BSO at each end, the Boat Train now has a regular Thompson FK rather than the version with ladies' retiring room and has two open seconds per the carriage workings in place of SKs and there are two additional trains on the GC side. The Flying Scotsman set has also been overhauled and Silver Link can now handle it more easily. I also helped Sandra to make good use of the stock very kindly loaned by Geoff West, which has helped to replenish the GN side. There is lots more to do.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

That is certainly not my intention. I'm making a small contribution to building on what Roy achieved and improving things a bit where I can. This includes adding and rearranging some stock to tweak the train formations a bit and replace missing stock, trying to make the stock run a bit more freely so the engines don't struggle with it and adding a few small details here and there, such as gangway end boards, tail lamps, pipes and dropped head buckeyes on the rear of formations. COVID permitting, the next steps will include adding some more carriage roof boards, reducing the use of those Bachmann pipe couplings and adding thin card gangways to close up the gaps between the gangways on Bachmann Mark 1s (already done on the Heart of Midlothian). 

Already the Talisman has been restored to a full matching formation with the missing BSO replaced with one off of the West Riding, where a Hornby one has replaced it, the Heart of Midlothian now has a BSO at each end, the Boat Train now has a regular Thompson FK rather than the version with ladies' retiring room and has two open seconds per the carriage workings in place of SKs and there are two additional trains on the GC side. The Flying Scotsman set has also been overhauled and Silver Link can now handle it more easily. I also helped Sandra to make good use of the stock very kindly loaned by Geoff West, which has helped to replenish the GN side. There is lots more to do.

Any chance of photos of some of the stock/consists?

Edited by davidw
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

When Buckingham came my way, I saw my task as to maintain and uphold the reputation of the builder. Perhaps even to enhance it by taking Leighton Buzzard out and showing it to a more modern audience. There are many things wrong on Buckingham. Models built from just a photo that are not dimensionally correct, locos with the wrong wheel size or spoke numbers, etc.

I could easily draw attention to such failings but I choose not to. To say that something is worn out after 75 years continuous use is not quite the same as saying "He was good but he got this that or the other wrong but don't worry, I am here to sort it out".

I don't feel the need to prove to the world that I know more or that I am a better modeller than Peter Denny by pointing out things he got wrong. He was a genius and as far as I am concerned, whatever I do to Buckingham, I am merely standing on the shoulders of a giant.

Yet enhancing your own reputation seems to be exactly what is happening with you, Roy and Retford.

Progress reports are one thing. That is all well and good and here is probably the best place for them. Having said that, many members of the "Retford Mob" were happy working away in private, without their work being shared with the rest of the world.

Why not just fix the problem and have the self satisfaction. That is what I do on Buckingham.

Thanks Tony,

You've made your points well. 

I'd say in response that, in helping out with Retford's progress, I'm standing on the shoulders of one of the biggest giants in the history of the hobby. 

Why should 'improving things' seek to enhance my 'reputation'? Though we're all precious about who/what we are to some extent, if things can be 'improved' on Retford (and my involvement is by invitation), won't that 'enhance' what is already an outstanding model railway? By showing those 'enhancements' (and they're only really peripheral), won't that help other modellers? 

You seem to imply that I'm some sort of egocentric bloke. Egocentric enough to raise thousands of pounds for CRUK through my involvement in the hobby; egocentric enough to assist modellers where and whenever I can, through personal tutorials and in groups (FOC, I might add - I never took a penny for my work down the years as a tutor at Missenden, asking any donations to be sent to charity or The A1 Trust); egocentric enough to give lots of model railway items to those who are not so fortunate; egocentric enough to write books where all the royalties have gone to a children's hospice; egocentric enough to find new homes for model railway items on behalf of bereaved families; egocentric enough to list all I've just done - there are more! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

30 minutes ago, davidw said:

Any chance of photos of some of the stock/consists?

When COVID and other things permit another visit, yes provided Sandra agrees as it's her layout.

Tony mentioned the video footage recently taken of the layout. This is already a bit dated as things have moved on since it was recorded. One of my trains appears but the footage was shot before it had gained a tail lamp and pipes on the rear carriage. A few other trains have changed formation too.

My area is coaching stock and it's very much work in progress.

I think there is scope to make the Bachmann Mark 1 stock run more freely and there is lots of it on the layout. Some of the engines cannot handle the longer trains comfortably but might manage them if rolling resistance can be reduced.

I have four more carriages in the works at the moment to go on the layout, all improved RTR.

Using Geoff West's stock, Sandra now has the Tees-Tyne Pullman, The Norseman and a 15-coach, multi-portion King's Cross-Leeds/Bradford/Ripon/Hull train, which also includes some RTR stock. There may now be others too.

A further train, the 13-coach 7.27 am Leeds-King's Cross (including a portion from Bradford) has been assembled, mostly from Bachmann Mark 1 stock but including two of the catering cars that we believe Roy had been working on and that were in the goods yard when Sandra acquired the layout. I have a Hornby FO waiting to go into the train - it probably should be a Thompson one but there isn't a spare one of those at the moment and the ER had lots of Mark 1 FOs by mid-1957.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Why should 'improving things' seek to enhance my 'reputation'? 

Not wishing to improve things wouldn't make any of us much of a railway modeller.  One of the first things I learned from reading the model railway magazines at the age of about 8 onwards, is that a model railway is never finished.  It can always be improved.

I would add that Buckingham is a special case, a very special one.  Tony's work is surely as much if not more about preservation of an historic artifact than improving on what exists; if you were "improving" it, all the rolling stock would be relatively new kits, the card buildings replaced and the whole thing operated on DCC, but then it wouldn't be Buckingham any more would it?

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

50 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

When COVID and other things permit another visit, yes provided Sandra agrees as it's her layout.

Tony mentioned the video footage recently taken of the layout. This is already a bit dated as things have moved on since it was recorded. One of my trains appears but the footage was shot before it had gained a tail lamp and pipes on the rear carriage. A few other trains have changed formation too.

My area is coaching stock and it's very much work in progress.

I think there is scope to make the Bachmann Mark 1 stock run more freely and there is lots of it on the layout. Some of the engines cannot handle the longer trains comfortably but might manage them if rolling resistance can be reduced.

I have four more carriages in the works at the moment to go on the layout, all improved RTR.

Using Geoff West's stock, Sandra now has the Tees-Tyne Pullman, The Norseman and a 15-coach, multi-portion King's Cross-Leeds/Bradford/Ripon/Hull train, which also includes some RTR stock. There may now be others too.

A further train, the 13-coach 7.27 am Leeds-King's Cross (including a portion from Bradford) has been assembled, mostly from Bachmann Mark 1 stock but including two of the catering cars that we believe Roy had been working on and that were in the goods yard when Sandra acquired the layout. I have a Hornby FO waiting to go into the train - it probably should be a Thompson one but there isn't a spare one of those at the moment and the ER had lots of Mark 1 FOs by mid-1957.

I think what you're doing is splendid Robert (and that's not brown-nosing!).

It'll enable all the many trains on Retford to be portrayed more accurately, and, with maintenance, run better. Visitors will be able to tell which class they are as well. 

I think the end result will be a fitting tribute to the giant who started it all. It's not something to be preserved in a time-warp, but a creation to be developed, completed and enhanced in whatever way is possible. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 5