Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

For those that are interested... Hornby have just released another update on the highly anticipated rebuilt W1s. Does anyone else think the lining on 60700 is too prominent?

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/all-that-glitters-is-gold

Both trailing wheel sets flangeless as supplied??? Buyers with non-table-top-toy curve radii can but pray that the internal structure will be sensible enough to suit the installation of curve-following, rather than rigidly straight, flanged wheel sets, without recourse to heavy surgery on the chassis.

I'm not at all disappointed that I already have one with a suitable trailing truck arrangement, that I made somewhat earlier.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, grob1234 said:

Sorry to butt in, I know we have covered this before (most likely)

What is the white residue you get on whitemetal after soldering?

Is there a way to easily get rid of it prior to painting?

I think it's minerals in the (phosphoric acid) flux which appear after any liquid has evaporated. 

I think it's always advisable to boil off any flux from a joint during the soldering process. This seems to minimise any powdery deposits. It also prevents the horror of escaping flux residue appearing at joints, sometimes years later, blistering the paintwork. 

I just use domestic kitchen surface cleaner (though nothing containing lanolin), scrubbed off with an old toothbrush and water prior to painting the model.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I try not to use phosphoric acid on whitemetal.. fluxite is fine and can be cleaned easily.   Indeed if you know how to be brave - clean the joint - do not get anything like a glass fibre brush anywhere near it and use the soldering iron to "weld" the two parts together. I do find that the  DJH cab roofs are made of poor whitemetal and they try very hard to melt rather than solder - strange that only the roof is the problem.. Britannia cabs are the worst for it...

Just remember that the whitemetal has some alarmingly similar properties to solder...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Buyers with non-table-top-toy curve radii can but pray that the internal structure will be sensible enough to suit the installation of curve-following, rather than rigidly straight, flanged wheel sets, without recourse to heavy surgery on the chassis.

I wouldn't hold your breath - all Pacifics from Hornby now seem to come with fixed trailing trucks.

John Isherwood.

20 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I wouldn't hold your breath - all Pacifics from Hornby now seem to come with fixed trailing trucks.

John Isherwood.

And the design is such that they are a pain if you want to run the flanged wheels (if they come with them).   I have put the flanged wheels in three of my Pacifics, one only required grinding the chassis but the other two came with wheels that had a plastic centre boss sticking over 1/8 inwards from the wheel face.  It was so bad on one that I couldn't even get the flanged wheels in.  Had to do surgery on the plastic inserts and grinding the chassis.  I have a minimum 36" curves and one is still tight causing the loco to sometimes have a momentary slow down as it enters the curve.  When i test ran it there was no problem so I surmise that entry path varies a little and Sod's Law ensured that the test runs had the correct entry path.  Will have to take it apart again and do some more grinding. 

17 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some interesting comments regarding the forthcoming Hornby W1. 

By showing pre-production models, surely any manufacturer is inviting comments. And, if by those comments, errors, mistakes or things not correct (apologies for the tautology) are rectified before production, then that must be to the good, surely? That said, I'd reserve judgement on things like lining until I saw the actual production models.  Having photographed some fine RTR models this year, the actual finished product is better than the illustrations. 

It makes me wonder now exactly what folk expect from RTR models, in every aspect. Regarding lining, most current RTR lining (say on to BR green) is far finer than transfer lining and far finer than that of yore. Not only that, the livery is applied to a complete model which will probably cost less than £200.00.

I suppose weathering will tone down any too-bright RTR lining.................

In the case of the W1, like this.................

1355016983_DavidWestW1.jpg.8f8d3bf40f21086ffd686913b68999d3.jpg

This is a Hornby A4/Graeme King conversion. It's the property of David West, but I'm not sure whether he did all the work. Whatever, it looks very natural indeed. 

1487636417_Retford2382017W1.jpg.3e04e596798507fa09d0982804df6bfc.jpg

As indeed does this W1 on Retford. It's another Hornby A4/Graeme King conversion (Graeme might have done this one himself for Roy Jackson), and the weathering is very subtle. Who did it, I'm not sure.

2097857171_W160700onmixedexpress.jpg.bff35cff80959129f5d6201756d69a35.jpg

For all those who are unhappy with 'over-scale' or too-bright lining, one can always ask a top pro' painter to do the job. A top painter like Ian Rathbone, who produces among the most realistic BR orange/black/orange lining (actually orange/green/black/green/orange) I've seen; adorning this SE Finecast W1 I built. However, such a beautiful job will cost as much as a complete RTR equivalent loco, or very close to.  

It comes down to what one is prepared to pay and what one is prepared to accept. In the case of the forthcoming Hornby W1, I'm convinced it'll prove acceptable to many, many modellers. To the extent that everyone who wants one will have one (which is egalitarian, I suppose). That said, there's a niggle in my mind inasmuch as for the last 24 years I've had something unique in the case of the W1. 

1958422443_21W1andCravensBW.jpg.2a96419bf053c94655c2e5e7cfd19c76.jpg

Anyone seeing it running down the years (in this case, guesting on Biggleswade) must have known it was built.

Greame  King did the conversion. I did the weathering. It's a little heavy but I did work from a picture.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's always very gratifying when 'pupils' present me with their 'homework'..............

Lockdown (in all its forms) has meant no one-to-one tutoring here since March. 

Before that, though, I assisted Nick Logan in making a SE Finecast K3 (his first loco kit with outside motion). He learned well, and today produced the finished article (still to be weathered).

201178591_NickLoganK3.jpg.492292043a7c48dab2a02e910f6d905a.jpg

The wires above the bunker will eventually form the link to tender pick-ups, but the loco ran very well, anyway. It's all his own work as well, which is highly-creditable. 

The immediate wagon is a D&S milk van he's building. 

1114847147_NickLogancarriages.jpg.3727c8f17cf9da743ec16bc83053c07d.jpg

He also brought along some rolling stock he's building, including this part-kit/part-scratch-built non-gangwayed LNER twin. 

All the social-distancing protocols were observed, but the way things seem to be going, even passing visits to LB will cease before long. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

2097857171_W160700onmixedexpress.jpg.bff35cff80959129f5d6201756d69a35.jpg

For all those who are unhappy with 'over-scale' or too-bright lining, one can always ask a top pro' painter to do the job. A top painter like Ian Rathbone, who produces among the most realistic BR orange/black/orange lining (actually orange/green/black/green/orange) I've seen; adorning this SE Finecast W1 I built. However, such a beautiful job will cost as much as a complete RTR equivalent loco, or very close to.  

It comes down to what one is prepared to pay and what one is prepared to accept. In the case of the forthcoming Hornby W1, I'm convinced it'll prove acceptable to many, many modellers. To the extent that everyone who wants one will have one (which is egalitarian, I suppose). That said, there's a niggle in my mind inasmuch as for the last 24 years I've had something unique in the case of the W1. 

Hello Tony

Today's RTR offerings are wonderful far better than my own models, but....

I use to have similar thoughts about the then unique diesels I made many years ago, that I was told would never be made in RTR. No one told Heljan that. I considered things, I have had a working model for 25 plus years. Will all those who purchased a RTR one live long enough to get 25 years fun out their model? If they do I would have had 50 years enjoyment of my models (if I live long enough myself).

Along with satisfaction the research and building the model brings. Something opening a box, no matter how complicated the manufacturers try to make modern packaging, can never equal.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Today's RTR offerings are wonderful far better than my own models, but....

I use to have similar thoughts about the then unique diesels I made many years ago, that I was told would never be made in RTR. No one told Heljan that. I considered things, I have had a working model for 25 plus years. Will all those who purchased a RTR one live long enough to get 25 years fun out their model? If they do I would have had 50 years enjoyment of my models (if I live long enough myself).

Along with satisfaction the research and building the model brings. Something opening a box, no matter how complicated the manufacturers try to make modern packaging, can never equal.

Well-put, Clive,

Many thanks.

Regarding 'unique' diesels, my original 44 year old DELTIC was unique (though I know one cannot qualify an absolute, I'll do so by saying that it's even more unique now - if anyone else had made one from the same sources, and then dropped it, it couldn't have possibly disintegrated in exactly the same way). 

What to do, then? Offers have come in regarding Dapol Deltics. If they're still on offer, I'll have it, please. What I'll do is make up a package of the kit, plus the modified Lima chassis from my old one (which, amazingly, survived unmolested) and sell it on behalf of CRUK; or give it away to a budding modeller. 

If I had any 'purity', I'd do the job myself, and replace (give or take) my old DELTIC with something similar. But, I'm certainly not 'pure', and I'm astonished how good the RTR Locomotion DELTIC is - light years beyond my 1970s' creation of one (it might be older than 44 years - when did the LIma Deltic appear? I'd had the Nabisco/Kitmaster body since the '60s, and only built it when the Lima model became available). 

I thus now have a far superior model, but, I admit, it's nowhere near 'mine' in the same way. It'll be even less 'mine', because Geoff Haynes now has it to weather (this is not entirely indolence on my part, but Geoff doesn't have any diesel models in his painting/weathering photographic portfolio, so it'll fit that bill nicely). I'll certainly not have it for anywhere near as long because that'll make me, erm, the oldest living human being - ever -if I did! 

I've had all those years' 'enjoyment' out of my old DELTIC, but it wouldn't be worth my while replacing it with 'like for like'. Anyway, if someone else would like to 'resurrect' its old chassis by building a Dapol body for it, it'll live on. I hope so.

Anyone interested, please PM me. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Well-put, Clive,

Many thanks.

Regarding 'unique' diesels, my original 44 year old DELTIC was unique (though I know one cannot qualify an absolute, I'll do so by saying that it's even more unique now - if anyone else had made one from the same sources, and then dropped it, it couldn't have possibly disintegrated in exactly the same way). 

What to do, then? Offers have come in regarding Dapol Deltics. If they're still on offer, I'll have it, please. What I'll do is make up a package of the kit, plus the modified Lima chassis from my old one (which, amazingly, survived unmolested) and sell it on behalf of CRUK; or give it away to a budding modeller. 

If I had any 'purity', I'd do the job myself, and replace (give or take) my old DELTIC with something similar. But, I'm certainly not 'pure', and I'm astonished how good the RTR Locomotion DELTIC is - light years beyond my 1970s' creation of one (it might be older than 44 years - when did the LIma Deltic appear? I'd had the Nabisco/Kitmaster body since the '60s, and only built it when the Lima model became available). 

I thus now have a far superior model, but, I admit, it's nowhere near 'mine' in the same way. It'll be even less 'mine', because Geoff Haynes now has it to weather (this is not entirely indolence on my part, but Geoff doesn't have any diesel models in his painting/weathering photographic portfolio, so it'll fit that bill nicely). I'll certainly not have it for anywhere near as long because that'll make me, erm, the oldest living human being - ever -if I did! 

I've had all those years' 'enjoyment' out of my old DELTIC, but it wouldn't be worth my while replacing it with 'like for like'. Anyway, if someone else would like to 'resurrect' its old chassis by building a Dapol body for it, it'll live on. I hope so.

Anyone interested, please PM me. 

Regards,

Tony.  

Good Morning Tony

Deltic kit and DELTIC transfers found, I will deliver today or tomorrow 

Best Regards 

Lee

18 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The purpose of the samples is to identify errors in the livery applied - the over-prominent lining is such an error.

....... or we could just keep quiet now, and then moan when it's too late and the (flawed) models are on the model shop shelves.

Which course of action would be more constructive?

John Isherwood.

I can't see an 'Agree' button on this post but I agree with it!  

Unfortunately, all too often manufacturers don't take account of comments at sample stage.

• Agree 4

Just now, robertcwp said:

Unfortunately, all too often manufacturers don't take account of comments at sample stage.

Apparently, when one is on the 'naughty step', one has one's Agree etc. and Edit buttons removed - it's not painful, though! :rolleyes:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

22 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

It's the tick icon from the list that pops up when you click on the thumbs up symbol.

15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

That fact, combined with experience, raises concerns about the behaviour of a "universal" OO W1 on the track. I imagine the coupled wheel sets will all have the customary large amount of side-play to allow the beast to negotiate wholly unrealistic curves, and there may well be no side-control on the leading bogie. Add to that the slop between wheels and rails in OO, and the huge rear overhang of the loco with no real trailing wheels, and it's a recipe for something that is free to wag from side to side like a happy dog's tail! My W1, converted from the Hornby China A4 and with fully flanged wheels throughout was tried on Little Bytham before any "steadying" influence had been added to the leading or trailing trucks, and it wagged extravagantly on a substantial train, with plenty of power on, down the long straight. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Apparently, when one is on the 'naughty step', one has one's Agree etc. and Edit buttons removed - it's not painful, though! :rolleyes:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'd noticed and wondered why you (and one or two others) didn't have that function John. I'd assumed it was something you could opt out of, not that you'd had it withdrawn.

Never mind, it'll soon be playtime.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Forgive my taking up space on here, but I was wondering what the average lifespan of different types of rolling stock was. I am in the early stages of researching a South Wales based model, set in 1929. I presume different uses would lead to different lifetimes, as would timber or steel construction. I also assume that the same type of, e.g. wagon, could have quite a range of lifetimes. Any ideas or sources of information would be much appreciated.

Lloyd

8 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I thought I’d show off a completed wagon. This has been sitting on the layout for a month or two now without transfers, the other day I got stuck in and finished her off. 

2EE40BE0-701E-464C-AE3D-DFB78DAF4748.jpeg

7F32358C-58D7-4C70-8DB7-72C96B832A64.jpeg

A607467C-3BAA-475D-B9A9-E5348D17876D.jpeg

My first thought was - that's a huge load for a wagon! How does it get under bridges?

Lloyd

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I thought I’d show off a completed wagon. This has been sitting on the layout for a month or two now without transfers, the other day I got stuck in and finished her off. 

Jesse,

very nice - now go an get some "tubes" for it to carry......

(and I don't mean beer filled ones either  :jester:)

and now you have seen a proper railway to model.. when do you get the Princess?

Baz

Baz

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

Wonderful stuff, Jesse,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1