Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

4 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Pete, yep I was wrong.  I’d not been aware of the SEF kit so by default if it wasn’t an LRM model I had assumed it must be a Craftsman model. So many choices.  But for me there is something about the quality of the LRM kit that sets it apart from the others.  I might have a go at modifying an LRM kit to produce a round cornered tank version. I wonder what other material differences there were between the square and round cornered prototype C12s? 
Frank

Frank,

There is a 4th C12 in 4mm by Ace products, better known I think for his 7mm kits. I have adapted 2 craftsman C12s to square tank/bunker. If you model 67357 be careful as it had round bunker coal rails but had a square bunker. There is a host of detail differences even in the same class.

Pete

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Good morning Tony, thanks for the explanation, very interesting. Given what I've seen so far of LRM products (and I have a few in the t-build pile so I've examined more than I've built) I'd imagine that's a very rare occurrence.

Although I'm a relative beginner in loco construction the idea of starting by producing a "free-running, rigid and quiet 'inside-cylinder' chassis" seems a very good plan to me and when I tackle my first loco with anything going on beyond simply coupling rods that's exactly what I intend doing!

I like 'ovality': is that like Ovaltine? Is it caused by Ovaltineys getting onto the etch? :D

It's the only LRM kit where I've had this problem, Chas,

As I say, it must have been a mistake between the design and the etching process. Malcolm Crawley (the K2 kit's designer) had a reputation for accuracy. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Curving carriage sides.

I will have a few I need to the same profile, Basically late Swindon, so flat upper and curved bottoms. Used on both GWR stock and BR DMUs.

Doing it with nothing more than some form of roller and mat is not good, not happy with the DMU side curves, not bag, just not good enough for me as it took ages for a slightly wobbly look.

So there are rolling bars, and presses.

I am thinking of making a wood former for the outside, glue strips on fill and sand, and a press former to go into it.

Then squash it!

Firstly, will this work.

Secondly, do I need to go tighter or will as needed be correct.

15 minutes ago, MJI said:

Curving carriage sides.

I will have a few I need to the same profile, Basically late Swindon, so flat upper and curved bottoms. Used on both GWR stock and BR DMUs.

Doing it with nothing more than some form of roller and mat is not good, not happy with the DMU side curves, not bag, just not good enough for me as it took ages for a slightly wobbly look.

I am thinking of making a wood former for the outside, glue strips on fill and sand, and a press former to go into it.

Then squash it!

Firstly, will this work.

Rolling bars and, if you have access to one, a press. 

I've seen skirting board used, but it's not as accurate in my observation.

Regards,

Tony. 

Non MR related but I have just found that a local importer of UK stuff has some 'BISTO' Curry Sauce Gravy modules.   From 40 plus years ago before i left the UK Curry Sauce for Chips was becoming popular but now for 'BISTO' to bring it out it must be pretty well mainstream.   BTW I did buy some and some UK Chinese Curry Mix.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Rolling bars and, if you have access to one, a press. 

I've seen skirting board used, but it's not as accurate in my observation.

Regards,

Tony. 

Unless you can use someone else's, rolling bars or a press would be a big investment. I've used skirting board in the past. It's OK as long as you don't rush things and end up with a crease.

13 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi Pete, yep I was wrong.  I’d not been aware of the SEF kit so by default if it wasn’t an LRM model I had assumed it must be a Craftsman model. So many choices.  But for me there is something about the quality of the LRM kit that sets it apart from the others.  I might have a go at modifying an LRM kit to produce a round cornered tank version. I wonder what other material differences there were between the square and round cornered prototype C12s? 
Frank

I am currently test building a round tank version if the C12 in brass.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MJI said:

Curving carriage sides.

Then squash it!

Firstly, will this work.

You would be in good company using skirting board. That was how Roy Jackson did his. I can't recall the full details but he had a home made bending jig which had a second bit of wood fixed along the length which made sure the top edge was parallel. It may even have acted as a holding clamp but it is ages since I saw it and can't remember.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

You would be in good company using skirting board. That was how Roy Jackson did his. I can't recall the full details but he had a home made bending jig which had a second bit of wood fixed along the length which made sure the top edge was parallel. It may even have acted as a holding clamp but it is ages since I saw it and can't remember.

55 minutes ago, MJI said:

Great so my wood idea will work.

I can stand on it I suppose to press it.

It's a long while since I did any (in the days before Comet sides came pre-formed), so I might have forgotten some details, but I used a second piece of wood to hold the side to the skirting board, the edge of the second piece being where the curve started. Sticky tape was handy to keep the bits in place at this stage. I clamped the whole lot up in the Workmate so that it was gripped along its length. Then I took a third piece of wood, longer than the side, and ran it back and forth along the side, applying gentle pressure, until I'd got the curve I wanted.

I found that skirting board with a quarter-round profile at the top was easier to use than the stuff with a sharp angle half way down, if you can picture what I mean.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hullo, Tony!

I hope you are doing alright during these harsh, unfair, uncompromising, trying and difficult times. Also, I have been at work on several projects myself:

*Retro-style models in celebration of Hornby's Centenary Year (or whatever's left of it)

*Pre-Grouping Vintage Trains (which I started in late-2016/early-to-mid-2017 prior to joining this website)

*Taking modern-day train companies and giving them the Steam-era (mostly Pre-Grouping) treatment

What do you think of these ideas?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It's a long while since I did any (in the days before Comet sides came pre-formed),

Comet sides were pre-formed in a fly press. I was allowed to do a few myself under close supervision from Geoff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 96701 said:

Comet sides were pre-formed in a fly press. I was allowed to do a few myself under close supervision from Geoff.

Understood, Phil. I was talking about the early days when they were supplied flat and you had to form them yourself.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Understood, Phil. I was talking about the early days when they were supplied flat and you had to form them yourself.

I seem to recall that they bought the fly press to prevent those who are unable to bend coach sides from complaining and asking for refunds / replacements......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I seem to recall that they bought the fly press to prevent those who are unable to bend coach sides from complaining and asking for refunds / replacements......

This is why I want to make a Swindon profile set, will suit a number of vehicles I need, from a GWR designed non corridor to a 120 Cross Country DMU.

I reckon 12 sides will be enough.

12 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Hullo, Tony!

I hope you are doing alright during these harsh, unfair, uncompromising, trying and difficult times. Also, I have been at work on several projects myself:

*Retro-style models in celebration of Hornby's Centenary Year (or whatever's left of it)

*Pre-Grouping Vintage Trains (which I started in late-2016/early-to-mid-2017 prior to joining this website)

*Taking modern-day train companies and giving them the Steam-era (mostly Pre-Grouping) treatment

What do you think of these ideas?

Very interesting.

I'm sure we'll all like to see the results. 

When you say 'modern-day train companies', it'll be the liveries you're altering? In this respect, it's a pity the current LNER Azumas weren't tried out in apple green (in the way the GWR ones carry a form of dark green). It would be amusing to see a model of one in light green.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 96701 said:

They did Phil,

And I had the use of it before Dave Lewis bought his own.

The problem was/is that the press produces just one profile (most-suited to LMS types if memory serves). For, say, Mk.1s, the higher sides have to be curved as well; with great care, so as not to produces creases at the windows. 

That said, it's far better to have sides pre-formed. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

The sharp-eyed will note I've moved the front steps a bit further forward than prototypical. Set-back, they fouled the pony wheels, even on 3' radius curves. An acceptable compromise? 

Maybe more a practical workable compromise?

• Thanks 1