Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony, enjoyed your participation in this weekend’s virtual model railway show and enjoy watching your Little Bytham YouTube videos.  I have a question for you as I think your the best person to ask.

I’ve recently ordered a Hornby W1 in BR green and I believe it was a New England engine in the late 50’s.  I’m trying to recreate a typical passenger train of the period and wondered if you could suggest some ready to run coaching stock.  If you could help, I’d be most grateful.

35 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Hi Tony, enjoyed your participation in this weekend’s virtual model railway show and enjoy watching your Little Bytham YouTube videos.  I have a question for you as I think your the best person to ask.

I’ve recently ordered a Hornby W1 in BR green and I believe it was a New England engine in the late 50’s.  I’m trying to recreate a typical passenger train of the period and wondered if you could suggest some ready to run coaching stock.  If you could help, I’d be most grateful.

Thanks Jools,

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Now, the W1. As far as I'm aware the W1 was never shedded at New England. In the late-'50s (and for much of the decade) it was at 36A. For years it worked a morning principal stations stations, heavy express to Kings Cross from Doncaster, returning in the afternoon.

583069880_W1small.jpg.f9f6448b13fb0902c5167d0240b6dd3e.jpg

Here it is on that return working in 1957, actually at Peterborough. Though difficult to see from this angle, the train is mainly made-up of Mk.1 cars in carmine and cream. Most types are available from Bachmann (though you'll need a few for this set). The leading Gresley BSO is not available RTR (in fact, there are no decent Gresley gangwayed carriages RTR - Hornby's are a disappointment). You could use Bachmann's latest Thompsons as well. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, john new said:

There is a clickable link from a photo, one of the items I haven't looked properly at yet. This is the link - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/virtual-exhibition-highlights/for-valour-the-story-of-a-loco-kit-build-project-by-graham-nicholas 

As another aside - has anyone managed to open the spot the differences pictures? That isn't working from my Mac although the email answers link is.

'As another aside - has anyone managed to open the spot the differences pictures?'

I have, and I'm a bit miffed. Regarding the two images of Little Bytham, I hope folk realise that the top picture is correct. The lower picture is nonsense. An illegal move is signalled (impossible in reality because of the electrical interlocking) and the approaching loco carries a lamp code which never existed! 

I know it's only a bit of fun, but there are limits. I'll find out who's responsible; clearly someone with no knowledge of railways! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

'As another aside - has anyone managed to open the spot the differences pictures?'

I have, and I'm a bit miffed. Regarding the two images of Little Bytham, I hope folk realise that the top picture is correct. The lower picture is nonsense. An illegal move is signalled (impossible in reality because of the electrical interlocking) and the approaching loco carries a lamp code which never existed! 

I know it's only a bit of fun, but there are limits. I'll find out who's responsible; clearly someone with no knowledge of railways! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Ah, that explains it. I was expecting two pictures of the Duchess class to appear not the LB images.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony, thanks for the info and as for it being based at New England, I must have read it somewhere and confused it with another loco.  When I get it, I’m planning to put the later crest on instead of the earlier one.

Thank’s for the picture, it’s a shame you can’t see the length but as I’m not a great lover of Carmine and Cream, would they more maroon in 1959?  It’s last year in service and the year I was born.

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoyed the virtual exhibition. It cheered up a miserable grey weekend. I was able to weather a few wagons while watching - you can't do that at the NEC! There was a lot I liked, some things I didn't but hey, that's just like a real exhibition!

Of course it goes without saying I missed walking round with friends and meeting real people but I certainly didn't miss the M6!

Very many thanks to all those involved. Dare I say, "more please"..? 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

With that sort of information Tony, you could have won a major prize!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

And there was me thinking you'd set it like that and done all the other alterations before taking the second picture ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I dipped into the show and thoroughly enjoyed the videos. Did you have to restrain yourself not to waffle all the way through Tony! It was nice to see Bytham running with the great variety of trains. The only thing I found a bit alarming was the Westbound 'Leicester' traversing that crossover at some speed! It was good to see Retford running too.

Well done to all for putting on the show, all from the safety of an armchair... well office chair actually!

Regards

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

Hi Tony, thanks for the info and as for it being based at New England, I must have read it somewhere and confused it with another loco.  When I get it, I’m planning to put the later crest on instead of the earlier one.

Thank’s for the picture, it’s a shame you can’t see the length but as I’m not a great lover of Carmine and Cream, would they more maroon in 1959?  It’s last year in service and the year I was born.

Regarding coach colours in 1959, probably half and half - carmine/cream and maroon. 

By '59, the prestige rakes were all in maroon, but the less-important trains were more mixed.

Little Bytham is set in 1958, so many sets are mixed. Out of interest, and for those who might have missed it, here's the moving footage from the virtual exhibition............

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 1

One thing I enjoyed about the LB video in particular were the track level shots. Something you sometime miss out on at an exhibition where often you end up helicoptering above.  A real sense of the relative size of the large locos, particularly the A1, and their seemingly endless coaches clattering past.

David

• Thanks 1

A couple of points about LB if I may?

1) Those shots of passing trains, they were so realistic sound-wise to me. The clatter of the wheels, the subdued roar of the loco - far more realistic than any DCC sound I've ever heard.

2) I thought some, indeed most, of the freight (or should it be goods?) trains were going too fast.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

1) Those shots of passing trains, they were so realistic sound-wise to me. The clatter of the wheels, the subdued roar of the loco - far more realistic than any DCC sound I've ever heard.

2) I thought some, indeed most, of the freight (or should it be goods?) trains were going too fast.

Stewart

The fitted freights used travel at well over 60 mph on the ECML. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Thank you very much for posting that video of LB.

Although of course I love the steam trains, that Deltic looked like it was absolutely hammering it!! Brilliant!

Thanks Tom,

The DELTIC seen is the one which I dropped and wrecked! At least it's preserved for posterity digitally.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regarding coach colours in 1959, probably half and half - carmine/cream and maroon. 

By '59, the prestige rakes were all in maroon, but the less-important trains were more mixed.

Little Bytham is set in 1958, so many sets are mixed. Out of interest, and for those who might have missed it, here's the moving footage from the virtual exhibition............

Regards,

Tony. 

I’ve visited your wonderful layout, Little Bytham a few years ago with East Beds and I noticed that your trains were a mixture of Carmine and cream, as well as maroon.  The train you mentioned to Kings Cross, where did it start?

I know you’ll roll your eyes <_<, but I did think of having it as a flight of fantasy as it survived the gas axe, made it into preservation and run it on my present day Heckington layout, with a maroon MkI set

• Like 1

On 03/09/2020 at 09:57, Tony Wright said:

What to do? I took pity on the poor old thing, dismantled much of the chassis and installed one of the latest DJH motor/gearbox combinations, fitting new nickel silver pick-ups ....

762650216_AlecSwainIvatt2-6-2T02.jpg.d3b02be08899237d9cdc696d526c302c.jpg

Note the 'natural' weathering............

Evening Tony.

Now getting used to 'her' new surroundings. More details on my 'Hills of the North' thread and I'll post again once she's at work at Central Station.

DSC00538_crop.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve visited your wonderful layout, Little Bytham a few years ago with East Beds and I noticed that your trains were a mixture of Carmine and cream, as well as maroon.  The train you mentioned to Kings Cross, where did it start?

I know you’ll roll your eyes <_<, but I did think of having it as a flight of fantasy as it survived the gas axe, made it into preservation and run it on my present day Heckington layout, with a maroon MkI set

I thought I mentioned that it was from Doncaster; return to Kings Cross.

During spotting days at Retford, there were two morning Doncaster-Kings Cross return expresses. The earlier of the two was worked by the W1 and the later one by GREAT NORTHERN. Thus, if they were out of shops, one would see two unique locomotives in the morning, returning in the afternoon/evening. 

I don't think the W1 was ever on any preservation list. Its boiler was unique, meaning that once it needed repair (in April 1959), it was withdrawn for scrapping. 

I never thought one (in either of its guises) would ever be available RTR. Just goes to show, but at least I've had my current one for more than 25 years. Previously, I'd made one modified from a Wills A4 on a scratch-built chassis. It appeared in the RM in the '80s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Evening Tony.

Now getting used to 'her' new surroundings. More details on my 'Hills of the North' thread and I'll post again once she's at work at Central Station.

DSC00538_crop.jpg

I'm glad the dear old thing has found a good home. 

I hope it runs to your satisfaction, Graham - complete with typical K's 'waddle'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dibateg said:

I dipped into the show and thoroughly enjoyed the videos. Did you have to restrain yourself not to waffle all the way through Tony! It was nice to see Bytham running with the great variety of trains. The only thing I found a bit alarming was the Westbound 'Leicester' traversing that crossover at some speed! It was good to see Retford running too.

Well done to all for putting on the show, all from the safety of an armchair... well office chair actually!

Regards

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Yes, the 'Leicester' does appear to be running fast. I think it's to do with how the camcorder records 'speed'. I've found that no matter how 'accurately' a LB train's speed might be to my naked eyes, it always seems to be going faster once recorded. Can anyone explain why, please? 

At least it shows how very, very rare derailments are on both lines on LB. 

I'm good at waffle, but I decided to speak very little on the moving footage, letting the trains 'do the talking'. I think my delivery is OK (years spent in teaching?), but I think it's often better to adopt the stance of 'the less said, the better'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I thought I mentioned that it was from Doncaster; return to Kings Cross.

During spotting days at Retford, there were two morning Doncaster-Kings Cross return expresses. The earlier of the two was worked by the W1 and the later one by GREAT NORTHERN. Thus, if they were out of shops, one would see two unique locomotives in the morning, returning in the afternoon/evening. 

I don't think the W1 was ever on any preservation list. Its boiler was unique, meaning that once it needed repair (in April 1959), it was withdrawn for scrapping. 

I never thought one (in either of its guises) would ever be available RTR. Just goes to show, but at least I've had my current one for more than 25 years. Previously, I'd made one modified from a Wills A4 on a scratch-built chassis. It appeared in the RM in the '80s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Did those two expresses originate from Doncaster, or were they ones taken over at Doncaster by 60113 and 60700, possibly workings that combined there? I could not find any Doncaster starters amongst the summer 1957 expresses on Mondays to Fridays.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Did those two expresses originate from Doncaster, or were they ones taken over at Doncaster by 60113 and 60700, possibly workings that combined there? I could not find any Doncaster starters amongst the summer 1957 expresses on Mondays to Fridays.

The normal W1 turn in 1958 was the 0845 from Hull and 0915 from York which combined at Doncaster and the W1 came on there. On the return It was the 1605 from Kings Cross which split at Doncaster for Leeds/Bradford and York.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I have to agree with this Tony.  You can't beat metal wheels on model track!  I've commented/moaned before (probably on this thread) that DCC sound doesn't work for me because it concentrates on the sound of the locomotive to the exclusion of everything else.

Still dipping in and out of the exhibition (currently part-way through LB); the Retford footage is wonderful and reminds me of watching trains there in the early 90s, even though the infrastructure was a fraction of that in 1958.  Like LB, that really is quite some model railway.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

That's me told then. ^_^

Naughty boy!  Take 100 lines.. "I must do better research. I must do better research....."

Well done for the hard work Andy.

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1