Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

A couple of points about LB if I may?

1) Those shots of passing trains, they were so realistic sound-wise to me. The clatter of the wheels, the subdued roar of the loco - far more realistic than any DCC sound I've ever heard.

Stewart

8 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I have to agree with this Tony.  You can't beat metal wheels on model track!  I've commented/moaned before (probably on this thread) that DCC sound doesn't work for me because it concentrates on the sound of the locomotive to the exclusion of everything else.

Rob

I am a big fan of DCC sound... but only when used in the right circumstances.  I switch it off when running trains at speed precisely because it is so inconsequential compared to the sound of wheels on rail.

There are exceptions though, a good sound installation in a Deltic does make a difference for example, even at speed.  Some of the more recently introduced steam sound files are also excellent when paired with a premium speaker, but these are used to best effect either on labouring freight trains, or when starting off and pulling away from a standstill, times where a good chuff is the dominant sound heard.  

Layouts like Tony’s would see little benefit from DCC sound, except perhaps an occasional whistle, chime or horn associated with the through traffic racing past.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I thought I mentioned that it was from Doncaster; return to Kings Cross.

During spotting days at Retford, there were two morning Doncaster-Kings Cross return expresses. The earlier of the two was worked by the W1 and the later one by GREAT NORTHERN. Thus, if they were out of shops, one would see two unique locomotives in the morning, returning in the afternoon/evening. 

I don't think the W1 was ever on any preservation list. Its boiler was unique, meaning that once it needed repair (in April 1959), it was withdrawn for scrapping. 

I never thought one (in either of its guises) would ever be available RTR. Just goes to show, but at least I've had my current one for more than 25 years. Previously, I'd made one modified from a Wills A4 on a scratch-built chassis. It appeared in the RM in the '80s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for clarifying that it ran from Doncaster to Kings Cross and return.  I'm aware it wasn't on any preservation list at the time, just seen as x amount of scrap, but in my happy little world, it and one of the P2 rebuilds made it into preservation.  Well, rule 1 can apply in this case :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

The normal W1 turn in 1958 was the 0845 from Hull and 0915 from York which combined at Doncaster and the W1 came on there. On the return It was the 1605 from Kings Cross which split at Doncaster for Leeds/Bradford and York.

Booked Monday to Friday summer 1956 formation from Doncaster of the Hull/York-King's Cross service was: BSK(4)*, TSO(64)*, SK(8)*, RSP(39), RU(30), FK(7)*, BSK(4)* (from York); BSK(4)*, TSO(64)*, CK(4-3)*, SK(8)*, BSK(4)*, CK(4-3)* (from Hull). * indicates BR Standard (Mark 1) stock. In practice, some may have been Gresley or Thompson.  A 30-seat unclassed restaurant was listed, which was unusual for an East Coast/GN Main Line train. 39 seats in the pantry car (pantry north end) suggests a Gresley one as the Thompson ones (and the final batch of Gresley ones) only had 38 seats.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's me told then. ^_^

'Must do better' I think on your report, Andy!

Seriously, though this might sound a little bit self-congratulatory, a huge 'WELL DONE' to you and the rest of the team who've put the virtual exhibition together (and a big thank you to Martin Tempest for editing my footage). 

Apart from a few 'nit-picking' comments, everyone who's responded to my request for feedback (mainly be email, and on here) has said how much they've enjoyed it. A job well done indeed, by all.

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, robertcwp said:

Booked Monday to Friday summer 1956 formation from Doncaster of the Hull/York-King's Cross service was: BSK(4)*, TSO(64)*, SK(8)*, RSP(39), RU(30), FK(7)*, BSK(4)* (from York); BSK(4)*, TSO(64)*, CK(4-3)*, SK(8)*, BSK(4)*, CK(4-3)* (from Hull). * indicates BR Standard (Mark 1) stock. In practice, some may have been Gresley or Thompson.  A 30-seat unclassed restaurant was listed, which was unusual for an East Coast/GN Main Line train. 39 seats in the pantry car (pantry north end) suggests a Gresley one as the Thompson ones (and the final batch of Gresley ones) only had 38 seats.

Thanks Robert,

Apart from the catering cars, the train could be made-up using Bachmann/Hornby Mk.1 cars, then?

It certainly fits in with my memories at Retford (though I couldn't have told you the formation). A 13-car rake was too long for Retford's Up platform (Down main as well), so the loco used to stick out towards the crossing (a Doncaster or York A1 after the W1 disappeared) with the rear of its train beyond the platform at the north end. Since I can't recall the train moving up, I assume passengers alighting had to move backwards or forwards as appropriate. 

The later train, hauled by 60113, used to be long as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

That’s interesting Robert. It had changed a bit by 1958 when I model it. The 1958 CWN (Thanks to you for providing this) shows the Hull portion at the front (BSK, TSO, SK, BSO, FK) and then the York portion (FO, RK, SO, FK, SK, TSO, BSO). All mark 1 except the FO/RK/SO catering core which I believe was Thompson. Photos sometimes show one or two mark 1s replaced by Gresley or Thompson stock. By 1959 it had acquired the experimental Mk 1 FO, E3083 and I have chosen to model a combination of the ‘58 and ‘59 formations with this coach included (mainly because I’d built the coach from a Southern pride kit and was looking for a train to run it in - somewhat the wrong way round!). The photo below shows the train running on my layout, Gresley Jn.

DB04D1FB-2930-4364-9266-399761C6FAA5.jpeg.f4f5045d790f3117660a88a3c315ef03.jpeg

And this video shows the full train.

Andy

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Robert,

Apart from the catering cars, the train could be made-up using Bachmann/Hornby Mk.1 cars, then?

It certainly fits in with my memories at Retford (though I couldn't have told you the formation). A 13-car rake was too long for Retford's Up platform (Down main as well), so the loco used to stick out towards the crossing (a Doncaster or York A1 after the W1 disappeared) with the rear of its train beyond the platform at the north end. Since I can't recall the train moving up, I assume passengers alighting had to move backwards or forwards as appropriate. 

The later train, hauled by 60113, used to be long as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

I’m trying to work out which later train was hauled by 60113 (for future reference in case I ever build it). I can’t see a likely candidate in the CWN. The next likely train I can see was the 1230 from Hull which had a portion starting from Doncaster. However this was quite a short train (8 or 9 coaches in 1958) and was a regular for Deltic by 1959 which suggests it was a Kings Cross turn.

Tony, Is it possible you are thinking about the Saturday workings as I can see several likely candidates on a Saturday? Of course, we’re only talking about a relatively short window when both engines were at Doncaster (Oct ‘57 to Jun ‘59). Prior to that I assume 60113 did something completely different.

Regards

Andy

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m trying to work out which later train was hauled by 60113 (for future reference in case I ever build it). I can’t see a likely candidate in the CWN. The next likely train I can see was the 1230 from Hull which had a portion starting from Doncaster. However this was quite a short train (8 or 9 coaches in 1958) and was a regular for Deltic by 1959 which suggests it was a Kings Cross turn.

Tony, Is it possible you are thinking about the Saturday workings as I can see several likely candidates on a Saturday? Of course, we’re only talking about a relatively short window when both engines were at Doncaster (Oct ‘57 to Jun ‘59). Prior to that I assume 60113 did something completely different.

Regards

Andy

It could well be a Saturday, Andy,

I'm relying entirely on the memory of 12-year old, 62 years ago. 

I never saw either locos returning. We were under strict instructions to be back by 6.00 pm, for tea. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very much enjoyed the bits of the show that I saw. Enjoyed your video on loco maintenance - you've got proper presenting skills!

I suppose one issue is that its a different use of the time normally spent at a show - I mean I am often conflicted between going to a show and using the winter weekends for actual modelling. With the online show I can dip in and out again and be modelling at the same time. Very much appreciated the layouts I saw and probably say more of them than I would at a show in any case (and of course for those layouts that never leave home this is probably the only way most of us will see any of them). Didnt buy anything (but then have been spending more on line with the same suppliers this year in any case). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Tony,

I'd just like to add my comments to others with respect to the show. Content wise I thought it was excellent a great mix for all interests. 

The only downside was that viewing the show on a mobile was that the amount of data per page downloaded was considerable and exceeded my phones capacity. It's not an old phone. I've since view all I need on a PC. 

Regards,

David 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MJI said:

We know what kit building is and scratchbuilding.

What is it called when you buy bits from all over the place and make a model like that?

I do that, and have been described as a "compiler" of models. I rather like "hunter-gatherer" myself.:rolleyes:

Mind you, the bits seldom add up to a kit so if you make the rest, I'd define it as semi-scratchbuilding.

My parts-gathering more often leads to upcycling some unfortunate r-t-r victim, and I call that "hacking".

John

9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Regards

Andy

On Retford, Roy Jackson had 60113 on the 4.45 pm Doncaster-Grantham. No idea whether that was a regular working or not. 

Roy had 60700 on the 8.45 am Hull/9.15 am York-King’s Cross.

I've been doing a little bit of digital filing and stumbled across the following which I think may be up your street Tony.

Taken by a colleague of mine, the image shows an unnamed D9019 heading away from Retford in June 1962. From the reaction of the sitters on the wall they've seen it all before but I'm wondering if D9019 is running on a single engine as I can only see one faint exhaust plume.

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

On Retford, Roy Jackson had 60113 on the 4.45 pm Doncaster-Grantham. No idea whether that was a regular working or not. 

Roy had 60700 on the 8.45 am Hull/9.15 am York-King’s Cross.

I think the W1 on that train is fairly well documented. 

The 1645 Doncaster-Grantham sounds a bit light weight for 60113. More of a running in turn?

1 hour ago, SP Steve said:

I've been doing a little bit of digital filing and stumbled across the following which I think may be up your street Tony.

377619226_D9019@RetfordJUNE1962.jpg.c019aece4611ff4623a5883f1e7e58bc.jpg

Taken by a colleague of mine, the image shows an unnamed D9019 heading away from Retford in June 1962. From the reaction of the sitters on the wall they've seen it all before but I'm wondering if D9019 is running on a single engine as I can only see one faint exhaust plume.

A brilliant shot, Steve,

Thanks for showing us. 

The Deltic might not be actually under way; just ready to go. It was quite common to have the longer trains sticking out from the platform like that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I've mentioned scratch-building, now it's carrying on with kit-building...................

The DJH 8F progresses well...........

3302992_8F07.jpg.cb67439476a07da59ecdd8cf6704536b.jpg

The basic tender body. I think the etching tools must be getting a little 'weary' by now, because none of the tabs fitted the slots (particularly the rear tank steps) - an irritating situation needing too much fettling.

1029535816_8F08.jpg.edcc90b1ede54a5cc1064f8d27a5f517.jpg

No problems here, though...............

1920296988_8F09.jpg.e4bdac3fdee2d61770e4385f899a846c.jpg

Until trying to fit the sandbox fillers into their etched/cast apertures. A bit of drilling was necessary. 

A nice touch is the two different sizes of lubricators - the RH one is (correctly) larger. 

Not much further to go now.......................

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I've mentioned scratch-building, now it's carrying on with kit-building...................

I read that as Carry On Kit Building; one of the series that was, sadly, never made!  I'm imagining Charles Haughtrey battling with a Jidenco kit, struggling not to be distracted by Barbara Windsor in the next door garden and Kenneth Williams entering the modelling den, gasping with an "Oo-oohh!" at our hero's handiwork.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

1920296988_8F09.jpg.e4bdac3fdee2d61770e4385f899a846c.jpg

Until trying to fit the sandbox fillers into their etched/cast apertures. A bit of drilling was necessary. 

A nice touch is the two different sizes of lubricators - the RH one is (correctly) larger. 

Tony 

Have you got your lubricators on the right way round? They are differently arranged to those on preserved 48305 and 48431:

20190817_145246.jpg.53f905e9c17861a3a8171afe46e783ca.jpg20200819_111126.jpg.9992095c6c010222e09f68b93d41cd9e.jpg

This Black 5 by contrast has them as you've modelled them:

20180218_154038.jpg.1e689f87a1e06a2c22dc491972c6dcd7.jpg

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, 65179 said:

Tony 

Have you got your lubricators on the right way round? They are differently arranged to those on preserved 48305 and 48431:

20190817_145246.jpg.53f905e9c17861a3a8171afe46e783ca.jpg20200819_111126.jpg.9992095c6c010222e09f68b93d41cd9e.jpg

This Black 5 by contrast has them as you've modelled them:

20180218_154038.jpg.1e689f87a1e06a2c22dc491972c6dcd7.jpg

Simon

I think so, Simon,

The larger one is to the right..................

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I thinks so, Simon,

The larger one is to the right..................

Regards,

Tony. 

Sorry Tony I didn't explain myself well enough. I think the part of each lubricator you have facing the boiler should in fact be facing outwards.

Simon