Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, robmcg said:

How odd that a few  years ago I photo edited something along the lines of a GCR 9P  ?  B3...  just guessed the colours from old postcards and so on...

and concocted it from bits of various models including Bachmann 4-4-0s which are very attractive.  1165 lasted until 1947, albeit somewhat modified.

1165_B3_portrait_GCR_2ab_r1820.jpg.d39e1ba405f29095741bc71a9511f1e2.jpg

It might not be modelling, but it's fun.

Cheers.

That is highly effective, Rob. However, Valour had red splashers in GC days. 

Tim

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

That is highly effective, Rob. However, Valour had red splashers in GC days. 

Tim

Oh yes, that's apparent from the darkness alluded to by Tony .  I daresay I could 'fix' that quite easily! 

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Oh yes, that's apparent from the darkness alluded to by Tony .  I daresay I could 'fix' that quite easily! 

Cheers

The only things that jump out at me are the lettering on the tender, which is how Butler Henderson is preserved but isn't like anything the GCR ever put on a tender, the splasher colour (mentioned by Tim) and the pimples on the smokebox. I think I am right in saying that no GCR loco had visible smokebox pimples in GCR days. Robinson was an artist as well as an engineer and he never allowed such things!

The lettering might be difficult although I believe Bachmann have now done a correctly lettered Director in GCR livery, so it may be possible to pinch the lettering digitally. If the other two were altered, that would be a very convincing representation and how lovely she looks in that livery! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The only things that jump out at me are the lettering on the tender, which is how Butler Henderson is preserved but isn't like anything the GCR ever put on a tender, the splasher colour (mentioned by Tim) and the pimples on the smokebox. I think I am right in saying that no GCR loco had visible smokebox pimples in GCR days. Robinson was an artist as well as an engineer and he never allowed such things!

The lettering might be difficult although I believe Bachmann have now done a correctly lettered Director in GCR livery, so it may be possible to pinch the lettering digitally. If the other two were altered, that would be a very convincing representation and how lovely she looks in that livery! 

Good evening Tony,

didn't Valour also have red cylinders, or am I imagining that part?

11 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I had that discussion with Malcolm when he was building the Atlantic. Initially, he was going to do her in LNER 1930s black livery.

I just took him a photo (or several) of them in full GCR livery and asked him what sort of idiot would paint one black when it could look like that!

He couldn't resist.

There are many superb pre-grouping liveries but I would certainly put the GCR version at the top of my favourites list.

Good morning Tony,

'what sort of idiot would paint one black when it could look like that!'

That would be me, then. At the dawn of my modelling time, I built a McGowan ex-GC Atlantic. I was clever enough not to use the whitemetal chassis nor the whitemetal rods (scratch-building a set of frames), and painted it in post-War LNER black (heavily-weathered).

Why build such a loco? Well, it's conceivable that I saw one as a three/four year old. The last survivors were at Lincoln, so could they have worked through to Sheffield Vic' in 1949/'50? Travel to my paternal grandparents' home was by train in those days - Chester-Manchester (behind a D10/D11), cross town to London Road, then via Woodhead (steam-hauled) to Sheffield. 

I wonder what happened to the model? By rights, it should be buried by now!

You see, the GC is in my blood in a way. All the three homes I lived in Chester were withing sight or sound of the CLC/GC, and the nearest station to my paternal grandparents' home was Kiveton Park. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Manxcat said:

I have recently been told about a new type of point motor which has been receiving very good reviews and, in my humble opinion, is a great design. They can be sourced from DCC Train Automation, with whom I have no connection whatsoever, and like any other point motor can be operated direct with a DC supply or via a DCC decoder.

What I like best about them is the fact that the operating wire is inserted and held vertically in the moving part of the motor which travels from side to side when operated. There is no fulcrum point, as there is with a Tortoise motor for example, so no bending of the operating wire. A simple but very effective element of the design is that once the motor is screwed to the underside of the baseboard a single screw is loosened and the wire inserted to the correct height, then the screw tightened to hold the wire in place. So no more having to cut the operating wire above the point tie bar. 

Should the wire not be far enough to one side at that stage then the wire holder can also be loosened and moved right or left to the exact position for optimum performance. The motor can be adjusted to give 3mm, 6mm or 9mm movement. 

The motor incorporates a switch for changing frog polarity if required. If you need more than one changeover switch a motor with an attached, non-electrically operated relay is also available. 

Have a look at the following video to see just how good the MTB M1 and M5 point motors are.

Thanks Archie,

It might be the simplest answer for working my signals, replacing all the Viessman motors.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Tony,

'what sort of idiot would paint one black when it could look like that!'

That would be me, then. At the dawn of my modelling time, I built a McGowan ex-GC Atlantic. I was clever enough not to use the whitemetal chassis nor the whitemetal rods (scratch-building a set of frames), and painted it in post-War LNER black (heavily-weathered).

Why build such a loco? Well, it's conceivable that I saw one as a three/four year old. The last survivors were at Lincoln, so could they have worked through to Sheffield Vic' in 1949/'50? Travel to my paternal grandparents' home was by train in those days - Chester-Manchester (behind a D10/D11), cross town to London Road, then via Woodhead (steam-hauled) to Sheffield. 

I wonder what happened to the model? By rights, it should be buried by now!

You see, the GC is in my blood in a way. All the three homes I lived in Chester were withing sight or sound of the CLC/GC, and the nearest station to my paternal grandparents' home was Kiveton Park. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I can easily understand why any person with good taste would want a model of a GCR Atlantic. It was seeing a couple of models of them at shows about 10 years ago that set me off doing a bit of O Gauge. I saw one for sale, in LNER black, with red lining. It was well built and painted and looked very nice.

Then I saw one built up and painted in full GCR livery. That looked magnificent.

Thirdly, I passed by a stand with a Gladiator kit for sale and I couldn't resist.

I also started a McGowan one in 4mm many years ago but couldn't put up with all the things that are wrong with it so it has new frames, a new footplate and a new cab. It ground to a halt when Malcolm built his at it will never be as good. I may finish it one day just to prove to myself that it is possible to build a decent Atlantic from that kit.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It might be the simplest answer for working my signals, replacing all the Viessman motors.

Have a look at how Steve Hewitt does his:

If I were starting afresh (or if I run out of memory wire) I think I'd go the same way.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

The F Moore painting of  B3 Lord Faringdon in Dow Vol 3 indicates red cylinders. Do we know when F Moore was doing his paintings and how accurate they could be?

Andrew  

There isn't much doubt about the cylinder colour. Enough good quality photos exist that show that they are not the same colour as the smokebox and that they have lining that is not white, therefore likely vermillion. I just forgot earlier!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to seats - I've found the Isinglass ones. They are a little wider than the Kirk ones at 29mm wide. They came in two types - back to back for mid coach and singles for coach ends which have holes for screws to pass through which is presumably how Isinglass do their holding the roof sides and floor together.

I picked these up to use in the Mousa Model LNER Quints which I've not started yet.

Isinglass seats 1.jpg

Isinglass seats 2.jpg

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Have a look at how Steve Hewitt does his:

If I were starting afresh (or if I run out of memory wire) I think I'd go the same way.

I think the servos which Tony Gee installed for working the MR/M&GNR signals on LB followed the same principles. All I can say about them is that they're superb, and totally fail-free. 

It's just that Tony says he's not so capable these days of scrambling under baseboards (which will be required). The little motors illustrated seemed simple enough for even the likes of me to install. Or, I'll commission Tony to make the units (when all this isolation is over), and a younger guy will fit them!

Either way, The Viesmanns will be gone.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I use these for Coach seating, a free PDF download from Bill Bedfords old site, a simple fold up , they hold the shape and have'nt faded. Easy to fit with a drop of glue on the back . He did have Corridor and Non Corridor versions available.

He has updated his webpage and they are no longer there. He may still have them available if asked.

fullsizeoutput_34af.jpeg.236fb5abb441df4e5a747ce2045a3831.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_34b0.jpeg.dc19e7ae2265becf903509a2d7343ef7.jpeg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, micklner said:

I use these a free download from Bill Bedfords old site, a simple fold up , they hold the shape and have'nt faded. Easy to fit with a drop of glue on the back .

He has updated his webpage and they are no longer there. He may still have them available if asked.

Shades of the old Peco interior kits for Kitmaster coaches!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, micklner said:

I use these for Coach seating, a free PDF download from Bill Bedfords old site, a simple fold up , they hold the shape and have'nt faded. Easy to fit with a drop of glue on the back . He did have Corridor and Non Corridor versions available.

Good tip and a quick search via a very old RMWeb link shows that luckily these are still available via the wayback machine as the 9 Nov 2006 capture included the PDFs (some of the later one's didn't)  Link is - https://web.archive.org/web/20061109075131/http://www.mousa.uk.com/Cat/free.html  and from there open the links.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, micklner said:

I use these for Coach seating, a free PDF download from Bill Bedford's old site, a simple fold up , they hold the shape and haven't faded. Easy to fit with a drop of glue on the back . He did have Corridor and Non Corridor versions available.

Using Wayback Machine you can still access them via the following link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121204225532/http://www.mousa.biz/downloads/coach_seats.html

For anyone not familiar with Wayback it offers the ability to re-visit old web pages from a number of years depending on how many times a particular site was archived. Not all of the links within a site may still be functional but I find that looking over a number of the archived visits normally yields something usable.

For anyone seeking information then visit the link below and simply enter the web address of the required site:

https://archive.org/web/web.php

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1

It's just crossed my mind where to see one of the finest examples of Great Central, full painting regalia on a model locomotive; indeed, on an Atlantic. 

Have a look at page 84 in Ian Rathbone's book, published by Wild Swan, on painting and lining models.

Peerless! 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It's just crossed my mind where to see one of the finest examples of Great Central, full painting regalia on a model locomotive; indeed, on an Atlantic. 

Have a look at page 84 in Ian Rathbone's book, published by Wild Swan, on painting and lining models.

Peerless! 

I have had the great pleasure of seeing that model "in the flesh" as Ian sometimes has it on his demo stand at Gauge O Guild shows.

It always has the same impact on me each time I see it. I go all weak at the knees.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I have had the great pleasure of seeing that model "in the flesh" as Ian sometimes has it on his demo stand at Gauge O Guild shows.

It always has the same impact on me each time I see it. I go all weak at the knees.

Hi,

Ian Rathbone has his own website with various galleries showing his work.  I think the loco you are refering to can be viewed in his 7mm gallery along with many other knee weakening images.  http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gallery-1---7mm-scale.php

Frank

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi,

Ian Rathbone has his own website with various galleries showing his work.  I think the loco you are refering to can be viewed in his 7mm gallery along with many other knee weakening images.  http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gallery-1---7mm-scale.php

Frank

I do look on there from time to time and also on Warren Haywood's website. He has also done some super GCR liveries. I know both Warren and Ian slightly and have seen their work (and in Ian's case watched him in action at Missenden Abbey) close up. I often wonder about whether, if I did nothing else but painting and lining for the foreseeable future, if I could get even close to what they do.

The best non professional painter I know of is Geoff Kent. His lovely subdued BR lining on many locos is stunning and has been seen in the modelling press but he did once build and paint some GCR carriages for Andy Gibbs for his Whetstone layout. John Quick has them now. A friend once described them as possibly the finest 4mm carriages he had ever seen.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Hi,

Frank

A wonderful selection, isn't it, Frank?

I'm privileged (as you are?) to have locos I've built painted by Ian. Indeed, I'm delighted that a few shown in his 4mm section are my work.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

The 2mm scale Valour will give him a run for his money...

I am very much looking forward to seeing it. 

Tim

I think I may be almost as excited as you are about seeing that one!

I think that the fancier liveries are where such people really get to use their skills. A BR green must be very "bread and butter" for them to do compared to something like a full LBSCR job. There are a couple of pre-grouping locos on Ian's website that I built for people and Ian's finish elevated them to a whole new level. I never knew it was possible to put so many lines in such small places!