Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I’m proud to say I’ve pretty much finished this J6. Couple of small things to add on and a bit more cleaning up, but, she runs!!! I’ve surprised myself with this and I really am proud at the same time. 

All my own work, however thanks is in order to you Tony for sending me those pictures of your recent J6 build, it helped a lot. 

The tender is sitting awkwardly as it’s not screwed in properly, ran out of 6BA’s, off to get some now. 

D1B64B38-1F71-4C67-8CC7-C68CF1ED2232.jpeg

971CA901-2C2F-44E1-8065-B76CB11E9DF0.jpeg

Well done Jesse, on having constructed your first loco that runs; may it be the first of many.

It took me three goes before I got my first one to run anything like reliably. For me, that was over 35 years ago and even now, there is sense of both wonder and smugness the first time a new loco runs. There is no feeling quite like it (in the railway modelling world)

Good on yer, mate! You've pushed yourself beyond your capabilities - and found your capabilities are greater as a result. Now crack on with the next one and consolidate the achievement.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Tony and everyone, another brief interupption to the A4 discussion (which I'm reading with interest, but which I'm not knowledgable enough to contribute to) for the coach I finished today and would like to share, a Mousa Models resin kit of a GNR D129 Lavatory Composite, in LNER livery:

1347623904_GNRD12920201124(7).JPEG.0f8839faa3ea49eec15c32cd189c5ea0.JPEG

1428667434_GNRD12920201124(6).JPEG.a3e08726b34b3808ededc8ad11442cea.JPEG

As usual, apologies to those who dislike them for the tension lock couplings - I'll try and remember to take photos before fitting them next time.

And now, back to the A4s :)

Chas

Hello Chas,

Nice. We should see more vintage LNER models on here. Did you find that the roof edge actually managed to form a neat, closed joint to the tops of the sides when merely clipped in as supplied? I had to use additional persuasion when building my six-wheelers.

My main concern about the tension lock coupling (if you need one of that width) would be that it sticks out way beyond the buffer heads. Is there a way to reduce the projection until it is just enough to prevent problems with buffers on your track curves?

The cornice / gutter strip on the roof edge ought to be varnished wood colour...

Edited by gr.king
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Well now, I started this a few months ago, I think maybe more then a few.... I got the sh*ts with it and placed back in its box.

I dragged it out the other day and was determined to finish it. It’s a Nucast kit I picked up from Warley last year and it’s my second attempt at a loco kit from start to finish, the first being the SEF J39 which was never finished. I probably will finish it one day, I have a new chassis and motor... hmmmm.....one day! 

Anyway, I’m proud to say I’ve pretty much finished this J6. Couple of small things to add on and a bit more cleaning up, but, she runs!!! I’ve surprised myself with this and I really am proud at the same time. 

All my own work, however thanks is in order to you Tony for sending me those pictures of your recent J6 build, it helped a lot. 

The tender is sitting awkwardly as it’s not screwed in properly, ran out of 6BA’s, off to get some now. 

D1B64B38-1F71-4C67-8CC7-C68CF1ED2232.jpeg

971CA901-2C2F-44E1-8065-B76CB11E9DF0.jpeg

Well done on the J6 Jesse. My first complete loco, both body and mechanism, was also a NuCast J6 which I was given for Christmas when I was around 16 or 17. I excused myself, went up to my desk and came down with it finished Boxing day teatime. It was the start of a great adventure building locos and I hope you have as much fun coming to you as I have had and continue to have.

I will make a couple of suggestions. I think you may have mixed up the castings for the whistle (don't know why there were two in the kit - maybe wrongly packed) and the safety valve. The safety valves should look a bit like a cotton reel, with a narrow section in the middle and a rim top and bottom. If you didn't get them in the kit, I am sure somebody will help you out with some spares.

Secondly, it is possible to see through the frame cut outs under the firebox. In reality, the view would be blocked by the ashpan/firebox lower edge. It might be worth just blanking that off with a bit of black plasticard. You could add a bit of detailing if you wanted but it is well hidden away and just stopping the daylight coming through is likely to be enough.

The GNR loading gauge was a bit more generous than some of the other LNER group members so many locos had lower boiler mountings fitted fairly soon after 1923 to allow them to run over other parts of the system. I can't recall how long the last GNR tall ones survived but it would have been a few years before they changed them all. I think the tall GNR type is the one you have fitted.

Lovely stuff. What's not to like about a J6?

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well done Jesse, on having constructed your first loco that runs; may it be the first of many.

It took me three goes before I got my first one to run anything like reliably. For me, that was over 35 years ago and even now, there is sense of both wonder and smugness the first time a new loco runs. There is no feeling quite like it (in the railway modelling world)

Good on yer, mate! You've pushed yourself beyond your capabilities - and found your capabilities are greater as a result. Now crack on with the next one and consolidate the achievement.

Thanks Graham, the one thing I need to work on is the chassis to body, like making it sure it runs when the body is on. But I’m getting there. 

many thanks for the kind words. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Well done on the J6 Jesse. My first complete loco, both body and mechanism, was also a NuCast J6 which I was given for Christmas when I was around 16 or 17. I excused myself, went up to my desk and came down with it finished Boxing day teatime. It was the start of a great adventure building locos and I hope you have as much fun coming to you as I have had and continue to have.

I will make a couple of suggestions. I think you may have mixed up the castings for the whistle (don't know why there were two in the kit - maybe wrongly packed) and the safety valve. The safety valves should look a bit like a cotton reel, with a narrow section in the middle and a rim top and bottom. If you didn't get them in the kit, I am sure somebody will help you out with some spares.

Secondly, it is possible to see through the frame cut outs under the firebox. In reality, the view would be blocked by the ashpan/firebox lower edge. It might be worth just blanking that off with a bit of black plasticard. You could add a bit of detailing if you wanted but it is well hidden away and just stopping the daylight coming through is likely to be enough.

The GNR loading gauge was a bit more generous than some of the other LNER group members so many locos had lower boiler mountings fitted fairly soon after 1923 to allow them to run over other parts of the system. I can't recall how long the last GNR tall ones survived but it would have been a few years before they changed them all. I think the tall GNR type is the one you have fitted.

Lovely stuff. What's not to like about a J6?

I have definitely mixed the two up, I’m going to have a look in the box tomorrow and see if I can’t find the correct ones. There were actually three whistles, as well as three chimneys. Regarding the chimney, I’m going of a photo I have of a J6 in the mid 30s, it seemed to be the appropriate one. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Tony, I expect  "Lockdown 2" has stopped you from visiting Edenham, but was there a decision on the size and style  of the station building?  My fancy was for one similar in style to the Willoughby Arms.

The larger building (seen in earlier photographs) has been chosen.

It is frustrating not being able to take further pictures of Edenham. Let's see what happens next week...................

Regards,

Tony. 

Jesse

I'd be interested to see what the other two chimneys look like. Perhaps you could take a photo of them tomorrow?

The chimney for 1930s should be almost 2ft tall, ie 8mm. The one you have fitted does look a bit tall to me.  Looking closer I can also see that the two safety valves I queried are in fact whistle castings as Tony G has indicated.

Andrew

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I wouldn't like to say never but hardly ever, at least in the classic NER form. There were coal drops at various places such as the Cambridge St wharf on the Regents Canal but those were set up for tipping wagons. On the other hand, the standard Midland opens used for mineral traffic and a great many PO wagons running on the Midland system had bottom doors, so there must have been places where they were needed. Possibly, now I come to think of it, the south London coal depots.

As for propping up the door: http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/catimages/28926.jpg.

There were coal drops at Kentish Town that were certainly approached by viaduct. Unfortunately, I've only seen them in ruined form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

'there is sense of both wonder and smugness the first time a new loco runs. There is no feeling quite like it (in the railway modelling world)'

There is indeed Graham, and I couldn't agree more. 

In a way (slightly perversely?), that's why I'll build things like A4s rather than rely on RTR products. They might well have 'accuracy' issues in comparison, but nothing beats that feeling of having made something (which works) by oneself. 

What Jesse is doing is terrific. He's casting off the 'shackles' of RTR-reliance (not that there's an RTR J6) and the world of making model locomotives will become his oyster. 

Last night proved to me (smugly!) why I build my own locos. I set the unpainted 60013 (she's now got a fallplate and cab doors) on to a heavy express rake on Little Bytham, opened the taps and just watched it whirl round at over 90. I left the controller on 'auto' and scrambled to the 'far side', just to watch it bowl by, taking some moving footage at the same time (which I'll send to someone who can put it on here). 

I know some of the above might seem 'elitist', because I acknowledge that not all can successfully build complex loco kits, but (despite detail anomalies?) my own-build A4s will always be more important to me than a product produced by a far-away factory, excellent though it might be. 

A personal point of view, of course.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2020 at 15:16, Headstock said:

Isn't RM web a wonderful resource for the production and acquisition of new kits. I've sourced four this year and now have a small get to work pile.

Following on from the previous dia. 113 build, comes this dia. 45 BG kit from Ian Macdonald.

Looks another fantastic kit there, it’s really handy to get access to one off kits like these via the forum.

I’ve really enjoyed building Ian’s O33 siphon kit over the past week, the end result being a lot more detailed than the old TPO kits that make up the rest of the formation.  Does rather set you on a very slippery slope once you add one coach which is that much more detailed than everything else.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Possibly, now I come to think of it, the south London coal depots.

A complex subject, with depots owned by the MR, as well as the GNR and the LNWR.  I'm a South Western man, so this information may be wrong but here goes: 

Wandsworth - don't know

Brixton - don't know

Elephant - yes

Peckham Rye (joint with LNWR) - no

Brockley (on Greenwich branch, opp GNR) - doubt it

West Kensington - don't know.

Someone else help please, does Unravelled read this thread?

Bill

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Hello Chas,

Nice. We should see more vintage LNER models on here. Did you find that the roof edge actually managed to form a neat, closed joint to the tops of the sides when merely clipped in as supplied? I had to use additional persuasion when building my six-wheelers.

My main concern about the tension lock coupling (if you need one of that width) would be that it sticks out way beyond the buffer heads. Is there a way to reduce the projection until it is just enough to prevent problems with buffers on your track curves?

The cornice / gutter strip on the roof edge ought to be varnished wood colour...

I superglued the original Mainline/Bachmann type couplings to the bogie stretchers on my build, such that the bar is in line with the buffers.

1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Jesse

I'd be interested to see what the other two chimneys look like. Perhaps you could take a photo of them tomorrow?

The chimney for 1930s should be almost 2ft tall, ie 8mm. The one you have fitted does look a bit tall to me.  Looking closer I can also see that the two safety valves I queried are in fact whistle castings as Tony G has indicated.

Andrew

One was shorter and fatter and the other was almost the same size as the one that’s on it. Like I said looking at the photo it seemed to be the correct one..... I’ll take some photos tomorrow if the chimneys and post them. I can change it if it is wrong. 

yeah they defo are whistles.... rookie mistake 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

'there is sense of both wonder and smugness the first time a new loco runs. There is no feeling quite like it (in the railway modelling world)'

There is indeed Graham, and I couldn't agree more. 

In a way (slightly perversely?), that's why I'll build things like A4s rather than rely on RTR products. They might well have 'accuracy' issues in comparison, but nothing beats that feeling of having made something (which works) by oneself. 

What Jesse is doing is terrific. He's casting off the 'shackles' of RTR-reliance (not that there's an RTR J6) and the world of making model locomotives will become his oyster. 

Last night proved to me (smugly!) why I build my own locos. I set the unpainted 60013 (she's now got a fallplate and cab doors) on to a heavy express rake on Little Bytham, opened the taps and just watched it whirl round at over 90. I left the controller on 'auto' and scrambled to the 'far side', just to watch it bowl by, taking some moving footage at the same time (which I'll send to someone who can put it on here). 

I know some of the above might seem 'elitist', because I acknowledge that not all can successfully build complex loco kits, but (despite detail anomalies?) my own-build A4s will always be more important to me than a product produced by a far-away factory, excellent though it might be. 

A personal point of view, of course.

Regards,

Tony.  

It really is a great feeling! 

The J10 I had that feeling but it was only a change of wheels, motor and paint, but the J6 had me sitting there going “F**k yeah” multiple times. Haha 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

A complex subject, with depots owned by the MR, as well as the GNR and the LNWR.  I'm a South Western man, so this information may be wrong but here goes: 

Wandsworth - don't know

Brixton - don't know

Elephant - yes

Bill

I would say that the answer is yes and no depending on the location and the amount of traffic. Obviously in an arecof high land prices and where the geography  was favourable coal drops made sense. I've memories of seeing photos of them in South London and possibly St Pancras area. However in more rural areas then a ground level yard would be normal with the side door about level with the floor of a horse drawn coal cart.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Wandsworth - don't know

Brixton - don't know

Elephant - yes

Bill

@bbishop, there have been a couple of topics on cross-London services over the last year or so:

For the Midland side of things, the map at the right hand end of this strip map gives the locations and routes to the Midland's coal depots and goods stations south of the river [Midland Railway Study Centre Item 20628].

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I would say that the answer is yes and no depending on the location and the amount of traffic. Obviously in an arecof high land prices and where the geography  was favourable coal drops made sense. I've memories of seeing photos of them in South London and possibly St Pancras area. However in more rural areas then a ground level yard would be normal with the side door about level with the floor of a horse drawn coal cart.

Jamie

There were a number of locations where topography played its part. Coal drops were extant at Welwyn North where the land profile and restricted station are north of the viaduct resulted in their use. The core structure is still there.

CB36308A-FD53-4CE2-B7EA-C0E8B08EAA2B.jpeg.ed7b800bbdea266e8410f10114be8689.jpeg

When Chris Matthewman took Strove out many didn’t believe the GE had drops, so he used to take a GE society magazine with him, to show the heretics!

Edited by PMP
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gr.king said:

Hello Chas,

Hello Graeme, thank you for the feedback. The roof edge formed a pretty neat joint for most of the length but it does curl up a small amount as it approaches two of the end corners. However, this wasn't apparent until after it was clipped into place and I'm nervous of breaking this resin material (having discovered how easy it is to do) so I'm not very inclined to try removing it. It doesn't curve up enough to show a gap, just that the last little bit is not quite so straight. Neither of the photos I've posted here is a straight-on enough view to show it properly and in reality it's not too intrusive, especially when viewed from my usual 'helicopter' layout perspective.

What was the 'additional persuasion' you used? That phrase conjures up bright lights and veiled threats - I hope no-one was injured? :lol: I wonder if the longer length of this coach - compared to your six-wheelers - with its greater number of fixing points helps to give a better join?

(Actually, I have the same thing with a 6 wheel ECJS Luggage Brake built from one of Mike Trice's 3D printed kits, where the roof has a similar slight end bow. They're the only two kits I've built that weren't either metal or the kind of fairly rigid and tough plastic used in Airfix type kits: is it correct to refer to that as injection moulded plastic, or is there a more correct way of distinguishing it from the resin and 3D printing materials?)

You're right about the couplings: I do leave them sticking out a little farther than many do, because my layout has rather tight curves, but I must agree on further looking here that I may have erred on the side of caution, even for me! No way to alter them now I'm afraid - if it were a brass bogie it should be possible to remove sections cleanly, and re-solder or even glue, but the sort of surgery required here would I'm quite sure leave me holding a handful of bits. Actually, it won't be alone - there are a couple of other builds where I had no choice but to position the tension locks further out than would be ideal, because of other underframe or bogie structures, and I don't find it bothers me too much when they're running with other stock.

Same with the coupling width: using the narrower couplings sometimes leads to derailments so I tend to stick with Medium for coaches. I've clearly developed CBS (Coupling Blindness Syndrome) as I rarely notice them. (In much the same way, as far as I'm concerned I still have a full head of hair and a flat stomach:boast:).

As to the cornice / gutter strip, thank you for pointing that out: from somewhere I'd got the idea that was only the case pre-grouping and that those edges were white too (when freshly shopped) by LNER days, but having just checked some photos more carefully I realise I've got that very wrong! At least that's fairly easily correctable and will be done asap!

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bbishop said:

My howler, in that the siding opposite the GNR Brockley Lane coal yard was a private siding not a coal yard.  But Brixton was drops and Wandsworth probably  wasn't.  Bill

Brixton coal depot was at Popes Road (by Brixton Station) with elevated sidings: http://www.urban75.org/blog/lost-scenes-of-brixton-the-coal-depot-at-popes-road/

Peckham was similar although I believe the wagons were hoisted down from the elevated lines. I understand they are proposing a 'coal line' to be built on the disused coal sidings alongside the railway line, through the heart of Peckham. https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/regeneration/funding-opportunities/crowdfunding-pilot-programme/peckham-coal-line-urban

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Sandra,

I think SPARROW HAWK has a Trix body; as does MERLIN and MALLARD (though where 60022 is now, I don't know). 

Whichever A4 bodies Roy might have used, as runners (with his mechanisms) they'll be superb (which surprises me when you say 60018 derails). 

I'll have a go at making and fitting an EM Gauge chassis underneath one of my SEF A4s, and, when restrictions are lifted, we can see how it looks (and performs) on Retford. I doubt if there'll be any problems with haulage capacity...............

Regards,

Tony. 

I might just have put a curse on 60018. The bogie derailed on the first point coming into the down GN fiddleyard if routed into any road other than number 1, where the first and only point encountered is taking the straight road for road 1 and the curve for all others. The tender then jumped off on the diamonds at the north end of the station on the down line.

Nice Gas works. Don't forget the pipework, miles of it, and loads of grot & stink.

Wigan Gasworks, just after closure, and about to be demolished, 1973 as the O/H masts can just be seen in Wigan NW station. That's the town centre in the background, very close.

2013-01-25-14-28-39.jpg.3094e8482fe6707d80d9751d0da01422.jpg

2013-01-25-15-02-53.jpg.67ae683acda1d2761be5e88d07d2120a.jpg2013-01-25-15-03-08.jpg.e851b7d8d3cd281a665ee5bf1e4da7f8.jpg

2013-01-25-15-05-33.jpg.411e430aa661b2deab595ca076d40e13.jpg

2013-01-25-15-06-48.jpg.71b0ea632c8ea0bd2ba0a8fe558d1655.jpg

2013-01-25-14-39-43.jpg.ffd817b8ee4488a0332b685617bec744.jpg

Don't add much grass - very little in / around a gas works - weeds are ok, just about clinging to life though !!!

I did my first day at work here in 1969 just before it closed.  The place certainly had "atmosphere" !!

Brit15

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Regarding the chimneys for the J6 these are the other two that came with the kit, I think the one I have chosen is correct for the loco I’m basing it on. 

Also, are they the sniffing valves? That’s the only thing that’s left in the kit. 

2E2B8AFF-AA43-4AC7-B34F-8D72EBA91082.jpeg