Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There are some fantastic RTR models these days but I am a modeller so enjoy making things. One day I might even finish something. 

Agreed on the first point, but finishing things is surely a case of taking the hobby to extremes.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I don’t think much of your attempt to match the RTR paintwork on those coaches!

Andy

But when he moves the modelling period further forward he'll already have all of the necessary ghastly, childish, colour combinations with hideously clashing door colours.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning Tony

Talk of Black fives, I have a DJH model which was my brothers, a Ks kit built one and a Hornby detailed, I bought the RCTS book on Black 5s vol 2 last week (which covers the caprotti version ) I seem to have this thing of liking ugly locos !!

I was on Comets website buying bits last week and just about resisted pressing the buy button for their kit ! But one day !    Can’t see that becoming a RTR model ...... can you ?

Taking about ugly locos  (should I say ungainly) my djh 77xxx is coming along, not the best djh kit when it came to the valve gear, I have had a Kemilway BR mogul fret for years and what a brilliant set of etchings it has turned out to be.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 69843 said:

Hopefully I'm not interrupting the flow of conversation here, but a couple of photos that may be of interest to those rolling through the thread.

Recently I had this Ks P2 touched up and refreshed by a mate down here. There's still a few things to sort out including dropping the tender ride height back down and fitting a replacement lamp, but it is able to be run again after a decent amount of time set aside with a solder joint that had cracked on the crosshead and a tender list that would make some navel men look twice.

Before I get crucified, the model was not built by me. I am still unsure of who actually constructed it as I am the third owner of it but its second owner was also the most prolific-the late Dave Shakespeare who also repainted it into BR Green as 60506. The third issue of Model Rail that I ever purchased (MR142) featured Dave's layout in its final form before the house move and mention was made in the article of the locomotive, but sadly no photograph. Patience was rewarded however with the attached photo in MR143 in the mail section and Dave started my love affair for the P2s through that. After Dave's passing, it was my privilege to take ownership of it through Gilbert's splitting up of the stock for a good cause.

It WAS due to come back over to the UK this year for a visit to both Little Bytham and Peterborough North but the world had other ideas in mind.

IMG_0927.jpeg

IMG_0929.jpeg

post-14921-0-19510400-1503151290.jpg

Much more pleasing on the eye than this thing:

50661370592_7d069c107a_c.jpg60506_Undated by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Taking about ugly locos  (should I say ungainly) my djh 77xxx is coming along, not the best djh kit when it came to the valve gear, I have had a Kemilway BR mogul fret for years and what a brilliant set of etchings it has turned out to be.

Agree with you about the 77xxx being ungainly - and yet it was one of the classes 'at the death' of Southern steam too. Yes, the valve gear isn't the best in that kit - the Kemilway is much superior, and I had my Airfix/Kemilway 76xxx let loose on LB last year, courtesy of Tony, in those long ago, more carefree days... <sighs>

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, t-b-g said:

A couple of brief videos that I came across while looking for something else entirely different. I would dare to suggest that there is not much RTr to be seen!

I was always led to believe that the first EM gauge scenic layout to be exhibited was Buckingham and the clip from 1948 has a brief sequence of the original Buckingham layout at what I think is its first outing.

The second clip, dated 1937, appears to show a 4mm layout and the shunting would suggest an Alex Jackson type coupling. Could that possibly be an EM layout that predates Buckingham by around a decade?

What a great find Tony. As well as footage of the original Buckingham there is also some very early 2mm.

Jerry

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, queensquare said:

What a great find Tony. As well as footage of the original Buckingham there is also some very early 2mm.

Jerry

Do you recognise the loco? I showed the clip to Laurie Adams and he thought it might be the work of either one of those early pioneers, like Messrs. Whall, Langridge or Groves but couldn't be sure which one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

i have no idea of the location for the image of 60506.

Great picture, Robert,

I don't think it's at Holme (wasn't that only ever double track across Holme Fen?), and, judging by the light, it's an afternoon Up train in high summer. 

The period? About 1955/'56. 60506 has the transposed crossrail/front numberplate (the same as 60505). By 1958, the numberplate was on the top hingestrap, but she never received a lipped chimney.

The pub in the village rejoices in being the lowest in England (which must have made the adjacent railway the lowest stretch as well). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, grahame said:

I've been learning breathing control today for putting together some N/2mm gas appliances for the gas showroom. I couldn't exhale while putting them together for fear of blowing away the cut out tiny bits of paper and plastic.

Neither the appliances or showroom are complete requiring some tidying up and varnishing and the display picture windows/doors made and fitted to the showroom. The appliances are mainly sections of square plastic tube with styrene sheet backs and high level grills/mantles/hearth and the details (fire, surround, burner tops and oven fronts) cut from the printed paper sheets and stuck in place. The 'S' on the gas sign is a little messy as it's really a '5' fiddled with as I was out of 'S's.

DSC_0332red.jpg.3b6507fb8ea9d314514b3972c4a270ba.jpg

A subject very rarely modelled, very nice appliances. This reminds me of my four week stint in Wjgan Gas Showrooms back in the early 70's during my apprenticeship. I was put on the "Conversion complaints" desk for aa while - I got into a bit of bother one day when I wrote "Mrs Smiths old geezer is leaking water at the cock" - well, Mr showroom manager, those were the actual words she said to me  !!!!!!!!!

Happy days !!

Brit15

• Funny 7

37 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Ref; Black 5 tenders, I seem to to remember disc or spoked wheels on the std LMS 4000 gall tenders.

I also have a friend who claims never to have fired a Black 5 but he was at Kings +!

Mainly spoked, Mike................

399021516_ModelLocoBlackFive02.jpg.871304fd9931600bb561a81841a5c2fd.jpg

Anyway, more progress today. 

The boiler/firebox/cab were merely plonked in place for yesterday's shot; they're all now securely soldered in place. 

It runs really well.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Stanier tender wheels, spoked with Bevel rims..

Now Tony is this a short or long wheelbase Black 5? Is it an Armstrong Whitworth built loco or from somewhere else.. top feed or dome or a different dome...

1776633058_BLck545238.jpg.879b45718de70674e8d091d5fe2e02b8.jpgModel Loco

1814641127_Black5LancashireYeomanry.JPG.27592e380fed40f1914bb4446f460797.JPGKs

1984418345_CometCaprottiBlack5.JPG.9d8c91323a39ae781a219ff174303ac8.JPG

Comet

and Hornby have a chassis on their Black 5 allowing for the long wheelbase or original wheelbase to be portrayed

BAz

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It runs really well.

... just like the prototype then!

I was going to mention boiler options Tony, but you did specifically ask about tenders. Looks like, with the boiler moulding including the top-feed pipes, then you're 'constrained' (ha!) to the most common top-feed / dome combination for the class.

For completeness sake, the later-built post-war builds, under Ivatt's jurisdiction, had a slightly longer wheelbase, the rear driver being slightly further back.

*snap - Barry and me posting simultaneously!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Great picture, Robert,

I don't think it's at Holme (wasn't that only ever double track across Holme Fen?), and, judging by the light, it's an afternoon Up train in high summer. 

The period? About 1955/'56. 60506 has the transposed crossrail/front numberplate (the same as 60505). By 1958, the numberplate was on the top hingestrap, but she never received a lipped chimney.

The pub in the village rejoices in being the lowest in England (which must have made the adjacent railway the lowest stretch as well). 

Regards,

Tony. 

The base of the Severn Tunnel is I believe the lowest historic stretch of mainline railway in the UK, excluding the Channel Tunnel. Not sure how low the HS1 tunnel under the Thames estuary goes. 

Thanks for the information on 60506. The only information that came with the negative is what you can see in the image.

1 hour ago, Mike 84C said:

Ref; Black 5 tenders, I seem to to remember disc or spoked wheels on the std LMS 4000 gall tenders.

I also have a friend who claims never to have fired a Black 5 but he was at Kings +!

Wasn’t a Black 5 shedded at Kings Cross for a period?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Great picture, Robert,

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm sure it was only double over the LC and north, but from the LC south it was 4 track - wasn't that where the US track was lifted during electrification, & is now to be relayed? I recall trainspotting at the station site with Grandard when a class 10 shunter trundled n/b from Conington tip with a load of empties, and was held at signals to allow 3 or 4 expresses past before being allowed to proceed? We waited ages for that one.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

The LNER built 8F tenders had disc wheels but they probably got swapped around quite a bit later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

For completeness sake, the later-built post-war builds, under Ivatt's jurisdiction, had a slightly longer wheelbase, the rear driver being slightly further back.

*snap - Barry and me posting simultaneously!

The roller bearing fitted 5MTs had to have the wheelbase lengthened to make room for the axleboxes, the longer wheelbase then became standard for all later ones.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Do you recognise the loco? I showed the clip to Laurie Adams and he thought it might be the work of either one of those early pioneers, like Messrs. Whall, Langridge or Groves but couldn't be sure which one.

I suspect Langbridge but not sure. I've posted the clip in the 2mm 'any questions' thread so hopefully will get some answers. 

Out of interest, how much of theBuckingham shown in the clip is still in use today - 72 years on.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, sandra said:

Wasn’t a Black 5 shedded at Kings Cross for a period?

44911 2/1956-5/1957. ACE/AWS testing on loan from Chester.

Simon

Edited by 65179
More detail
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2