Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Eric

Any chance of you posting some photos when you have finished the painting and weathering 

Regards

David

D avid,

OK! Hopefully in a few months time. If you have a look at the layout section you will see the A2/3 in bits but at least the chassis and tender are finished.

Eric

• RMweb Premium

It's perfectly possible to glue a white metal & brass kit together. The problem is the choice of glue - you need to look further than the epoxies and superglues available at the local DIY shed. If the correct adhesive is good enough for the aerospace industry (including the space shuttle) I'm sure it'll be OK for a 4mm scale loco.

Steven B.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

There are a couple of locos running on Narrow Road that Ken Hill put together with the original "Superglue" when it first became generally available.

They haven't fallen apart and no bits have come off.

Before I got a temperature controlled soldering iron I was a bit frightened of melting whitemetal (we are talking about a teenager some 45 years ago!) and my first few whitemetal kits were glued together with either "5 minute Araldite" or in some cases "Evostick".

Most of my loco building is done with solder now, mainly because I really enjoy soldering but I still use two part epoxy for things like fitting chimneys and domes. You get plenty of adjusting time and an already applied filler in any small gaps round the base. Ill fitting chimneys and domes are one of my pet hates and I always appreciate it when somebody takes the trouble to replicate the thickness of the edge and the closeness of the fit correctly.

I still sometimes glue a cab roof onto a tank loco too, so that if I need access to the inside if the cab, it is easier to remove without wrecking the paint.

With all these things, there are people who find a technique that suits the way they work and they develop certain methods and skills that make that technique work for them. Then there are people who tell them that their preferred method is rubbish and cannot possibly work!

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The Model Loco Black Five is now complete.............

I'm delighted with how she runs. 12 bogies (some heavy kit-builds) presented an easy load.

Pah! Not properly tested until you try it on a proper hill. Just saying...

Just out of interest, how does the completed model match up against a drawing, Tony? And I'm referring to the kit itself in saying that. I've heard mixed comments - so just wondering how accurate the kit actually is? It would be interesting to see a square on broadside pic of the loco up along an equivalent picture of the real thing?

Of course, I look forward to the opportunity to have a close up inspection of the completed model itself in due course.

That's now a Duchess, 8F and Black 5 you've built in recent times - this thread is definitely looking up!

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Pah! Not properly tested until you try it on a proper hill. Just saying...

Just out of interest, how does the completed model match up against a drawing, Tony? And I'm referring to the kit itself in saying that. I've heard mixed comments - so just wondering how accurate the kit actually is? It would be interesting to see a square on broadside pic of the loco up along an equivalent picture of the real thing?

Of course, I look forward to the opportunity to have a close up inspection of the completed model itself in due course.

That's now a Duchess, 8F and Black 5 you've built in recent times - this thread is definitely looking up!

I have the Roche drawing, Graham.

It would appear to match that, but that's not necessarily a good thing. These mixed comments: what do they suggest is wrong? I have to say (though I saw hundreds of 'Mickeys') I'm rather ignorant of their dimensions. 

Anyway, with a vaccine on the imminent horizon, you're more than welcome to test her on Shap at a future show. That's where the actual loco appears in the relevant Irwell volume.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jack P said:

'Teaking', it's something I've wanted to try for a while. Not being a dedicated LNER fan means I'm unlikely to need to repaint multiple coaches, but I do have some 4 wheel pigeon vans to build and paint, and I was concerned they would be too starkly different from the Hornby offering.

So, following the Mike Trice method, I decided to give it a go;

50672936027_08c8de4af7_h.jpg

50672197923_d697e98793_h.jpg

50672935962_9c32419f36_h.jpg

These photos were taken immediately after applying the oils. The colour has lightened a little since then. It's not perfect yet, but I'm very happy with the results!

Can you or Mike Trice give Hornby a tutorial on this method? :D

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

On 02/12/2020 at 20:20, Tony Wright said:

The Model Loco Black Five is now complete.............

1576949236_ModelLocoBlackFive05.jpg.37c3de2058f9ce42db0e6199bdc1de71.jpg

Very nice Tony. Here's a photo of the real 45235, taken at Weston-super-Mare, no date is given and I'm not aware of who the photographer was, but it is fitted with a 4000 gallon riveted tender. Presumably it was working an excursion train off the LMR.

45235 at Western Super Mare.jpg

Edited by Leander
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The latest in for review........................

1028655944_Dapol63XXBRlivery.jpg.60d760cddfba866113858ce2caf21f67.jpg

1401929464_Dapol63XXGWRlivery01.jpg.098dcc034cfd6e66d2e0996a22c7f104.jpg

Dapol's latest 63XX in OO. 

Strangely, the GWR one carries a BR front numberplate and shedplate.

It seems a fine mode. Any comments, please (from those 'in the know')? 

One thing I've discovered. Don't try and take the loco body off!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Slidebars as a notable visible discrepancy from the prototype,

10 hours ago, Leander said:

Very nice Tony. Here's a photo of the real 45235, taken at Weston-super-Mare, nodate is (given and I'm not aware of who the photographer was, but it is fitted with a 4000allon riveted tender. Presumably it was working an excursion train off the LMR.

45235 at Western Super Mare.jpg

Thanks Pete,

It must be 1959 (if the tender is not part-welded), since she only towed a riveted tender between June and December of that year. 

The hot summer of 1959 as well, as she awaits departure from (what looks like) Locking Road. The loco was at Agecroft at the time - a fair distance from home.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

1028655944_Dapol63XXBRlivery.jpg.60d760cddfba866113858ce2caf21f67.jpg

1401929464_Dapol63XXGWRlivery01.jpg.098dcc034cfd6e66d2e0996a22c7f104.jpg

Dapol's latest 63XX in OO. 

Strangely, the GWR one carries a BR front numberplate and shedplate.

Hi Tony

I think these issues are debated in depth in Dapol mogul thread (apologies but I'm not IT competent enough to link directly).  Several commentators including Frank @Chuffer Davies, who's modelling I've admired on this thread, have had the battle in taking it apart as well.  

David

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Hi Tony

I think these issues are debated in depth in Dapol mogul thread (apologies but I'm not IT competent enough to link directly).  Several commentators including Frank @Chuffer Davies, who's modelling I've admired on this thread, have had the battle in taking it apart as well.  

David

Thanks David,

I'll look at it.............

Regards,

Tony.