Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

13 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Some of this year's models, the engine is Gauge 1, the others 4mm scale.

BRACKET SIGNAL 10.jpg

CLASS K  (1).JPG

Hello Mick,

An interesting consequence of unexpected alignment of images - but I do like the idea of a signal that doubles as a pillar drill. Very useful. :)

Impressive modelling of course. Season's greeting from across the river.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Jesse,

I'm sure there's more myth about me than anything else.................

'With Hornby releasing there W1 next year I was still adamant to make my own using Graeme King's resin parts and here she is, a suitable tender is on its way from SEF. It may not be as good as Hornby's but its mine!'

With my being a former teacher, you've made my day! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Wait have I done something wrong or ? 

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, grob1234 said:

Hi Jesse,

I did similar to you to make my own 10000. My only difference was I made the chassis from SEF as well as the tender. I've added an awful lot of lead, as there is plenty of room in the streamlined casing, so it is by far my heaviest loco, but with a great big Mashima round can motor, it goes like the clappers and could easily pull 15 kit-built coaches, probably much more. We'll have to test its haulage capacity when some form of normal life returns.

I'm incredibly attached to my W1, and there is absolutely no chance I'll be replacing it with a Hornby one. I'm sure the Hornby model will be fantastic, but mines got character, as will yours, Jesse. 

Just imagine if all A4's were built like this: a huge brooding hulk of an engine!

IMG_3525.JPG.b4d93af80c49948cc18fc40453e49fd6.JPG

She’s a beaut mate, I can’t wait to finish mine.

I agree about our own having character, basically anything you build yourself has character whether it looks like a heap of junk or in pristine condition, it’s your own work! 

I have always wanted a W1 and I was a little sad that Hornby announced it to be honest. You always got a bit of a excitement seeing a W1 on a layout, just like the real thing, now everyone will have one. I will be getting the original Hush Hush from Hornby, but again at least my rebuilt one will be my own and I will be very smug in saying it’s my own and not hornbys. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Now, I must be very careful with my words here, because I appear to cop the ire of some by even suggesting anything on Retford could be 'improved'/'added to', especially if I'm involved. 

You say what you like Tony. I have no more to say on the matter.

I said I wouldn't rock the boat and I meant it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/12/2020 at 21:46, cctransuk said:

I looked at a photo of the prototype; (not my copyright) :

60054_12.jpg.70adcb6c5000458872090cf8333e6c40.jpg

If anything, both the Hornby and the replacement wheels seem a tad long in the spoke / thin in the rim - though there's only a gnat's whisker in it!

John Isherwood.

What a cracking photograph of a locomotive that I just happen to be currently working on, to include in my GC A3 roster.  Thanks!

My own model of 60054 is being cobbled together through a bit of RTR bashing.  The base model is R3132 'Book Law', being in the correct livery and with a round dome, but externally converted to Right Hand Drive and coupled with a tender from R3518 'Gay Crusader'.  As well and re-numbering and re-lettering, the cab-side cutout needs filling in to represent the later, smaller pattern - this is being achieved using a fillet cut from styrene tube, shaped to fit.  

Whilst working on this I have tried a product that I haven't used before... Citadel Paints (Warhammer) Liquid Green Stuff which is like a gloopy thick paint mix used to fill in small cracks and provide a smooth surface for painting over.  First impressions are that it seems to be an excellent product for fiddly little filling jobs like this.

Incidentally, Gay Cusader is similarly being paired with Book Law's swopped tender to become 60048 Doncaster.

IMG_4184.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

13 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Hope its not too late for the showcase of 2020 projects?

I think 2020, apart from the obvious end of the world, has been rather rewarding in regards to my modelling. Although many projects have not been finished yet, here are a small showcase of the ones I am most proud off.

I must apologise for the horrible photos. 

Kicking off with the refurbishment of a DJH J10, I think I paid $60 AUD for this off Ebay as a non runner, quick email to The Man, The Myth, The Legend Tony Wright we deduced a new motor/gearbox, wheels and she should be good as new and so it was. Here she is here in need of some more fine tuning TLC accompanied by two scratchbuilt GNR ballast wagons. The one on the left, of which there are two, is cut down and made from a Hornby wagon and the longer one is a cut and shut job from a NER plate wagon from Wizards. I have also been working on the Dolphin wagons but that's another story very soon. Watch this space.

50402513_J107BallastWagons.jpg.36f96c2430d57c553e167eac9bde4540.jpg

Another project was the Graeme King conversion for a K2, this is more or less finished, the lining annoyed the hell out of me, maybe a good weather to hide it? No no Jesse don't be lazy. 

Now the wagons from right to left, another Graeme King resin job, an LNER meat container, I have another three to do. Next is a DS GCR pershibles wagon, a real pain in the backside but I got there in the end and lastly a Wizards NER Perishable van. 

1904770747_K2Perishableswagons.jpg.9d10167012ed7a19480153b22fc9edb1.jpg

Fom left to right:

A wizards CR tube wagon, David Geen LMS Bolster wagons, my first DS horsebox and most definetly not the last, fiddly but rewarding in the end. Lastly a Wizards NER G2 van, might get a few more of them. 

1867956646_Variouswagons.jpg.2a2af94d3f45d9065250f397991a6345.jpg

Now for the finale...

One thing I noticed this year was my moving away from the RTR market. With Hornby releasing there W1 next year I was still adamant to make my own using Graeme King's resin parts and here she is, a suitable tender is on its way from SEF. It may not be as good as Hornby's but its mine! Another Milestone reached was to finally finish my first locomotive kit, a Nucast J6. A challenge as the body was still designed to sit on a whitemetal lump but I think she's turned out alright, it even works!!!!

1701794917_W1J6.jpg.566dda5d48662d295951eff7da95fbad.jpg

All of this could not have been achieved without the help of many people on here, a few stand out, Graeme King, Tony Wright and also Jonathan Wealleans who I bombard with messages at least twice a day. Thanks a bunch. 

Well I hesitate to show what I have made during lockdown because it's really not very much. Most of my spare time & there hasn't been much has been spent completing all the baseboards for my new layout & laying but not yet wiring, which I hate, about half of the fiddle yard.

However, I have made a few Slaters MR open wagons of different types, but they are not yet painted so not worth showing, but I have made this LCUT model of a GNR signal box. It's probably only painted because it seemed obvious that it would be better done before rather than after assembly. I think it's a good kit, but a word of warning: the instructions state that this wood kit can be painted with either enamels or acrylics. Using the latter seemed to be asking for trouble "warping" & that's exactly what happened when I used acrylics on a test piece.

William

147137489_SignalBox4.jpg.a53c8fa19afef265cb3d0b9855736b28.jpg

• Like 13

19 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Retford certainly doesn't have enough V2s (in fact, it needs many more locos - I intend to be busy!). So, why not re-chassis (again) the John Houldlen V2, back to EM? OO, to EM, back to OO and then back to EM.

Trigger's V2?

Joke aside, a lovely story and excellent to see the locomotive not fade away into the background amongst all the other V2 options, but be refined and re-worked to allow it to continue on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, sandra said:

Tony,

That V2 looks wonderful and I look forward to seeing it run on Retford. There are actually three V2’s on Retford all built from Nucast kits but one is in LNER livery and therefore I don’t run it often. I understand that it was left in LNER livery in memory of someone who died.

282A9CCD-AF32-4E67-984C-8237803B46DC.jpeg.e7e48ad02d194be84153926987b512d4.jpeg

This is 60874 which was built by me during the first lockdown. It uses the Nucast white metal chassis but I did bush the chassis with brass bearings and it does not run too badly. It is pulling a Hull/Kings Cross fish train and it is approaching the station on the up fast line.

60134C1B-238A-4010-A24B-102C8A91847D.jpeg.67850a182bc32b8efd91959c85bf03a4.jpeg

This is 60872 which I believe was built by Roy. It is a beautiful runner and it is on the up fast line passing under the marvellous footbridge built by John McCrea. I think this locomotive might be very old and I think it does need some updating. 

722DA578-B83E-49F2-8390-2EFD6EB2F973.jpeg.a264191d27ec79ebe102c6b8a4929bc3.jpeg

This is the third V2 on Retford and is in LNER livery. I don’t know the provenance of this locomotive apart from it being a Nucast kit. It is depicted with the down Scotch goods passing South Box. Again it runs beautifully but I do wish it was in BR livery as I don’t feel able to run it regularly for Retford is firmly set in the summer of 1957 and I’m not keen on too many anachronisms.

Retford does not yet have enough locomotives for there are only just enough to haul all the trains with no spares. Thus all locomotives are welcome and I must get on with my various projects. I am building a V2 at present which is a Bachmann body on a Comet under frame. The loco is actually a former display loco which appeared at numerous shows on the Comet stand. It was very kindly given to me by Andrew Hartshorne. I will post photographs when it is completed.

Sandra

Hello Sandra

I can't recall the origin of the LNER Green V2 but I do remember it coming to Roy and he was initially going to have it done in BR livery but he decided the LNER paint job was too good to remove.

There were at least 2 other V2s on the layout. One, by Rick Hunt, was taken away by Rick when Roy died. That was a real beauty, fully sprung and with a lovely level of detailing and superb paint finish.

The other has an interesting history as I built it when I was very young, probably around 16 years old. Roy dismantled it and rebuilt it without bothering to ask if he could, which annoyed me greatly. If I had known his plan, I would not have let him near it as it was a loco I had a huge personal attachment to.  Having said that, there is no doubt that it is a much better loco now especially since Geoff Kent painted it.

I also recovered that when the future of the layout was uncertain, along with around 50 or so wagons.

The one I have, along with the wagons, can certainly come back over there on long term loan once we can arrange such things.

None of them are much use on my own pre-grouping layouts and will only stay packed away here.

Tony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

10 hours ago, sandra said:

Tony,

That V2 looks wonderful and I look forward to seeing it run on Retford. There are actually three V2’s on Retford all built from Nucast kits but one is in LNER livery and therefore I don’t run it often. I understand that it was left in LNER livery in memory of someone who died.

282A9CCD-AF32-4E67-984C-8237803B46DC.jpeg.e7e48ad02d194be84153926987b512d4.jpeg

This is 60874 which was built by me during the first lockdown. It uses the Nucast white metal chassis but I did bush the chassis with brass bearings and it does not run too badly. It is pulling a Hull/Kings Cross fish train and it is approaching the station on the up fast line.

60134C1B-238A-4010-A24B-102C8A91847D.jpeg.67850a182bc32b8efd91959c85bf03a4.jpeg

This is 60872 which I believe was built by Roy. It is a beautiful runner and it is on the up fast line passing under the marvellous footbridge built by John McCrea. I think this locomotive might be very old and I think it does need some updating. 

722DA578-B83E-49F2-8390-2EFD6EB2F973.jpeg.a264191d27ec79ebe102c6b8a4929bc3.jpeg

This is the third V2 on Retford and is in LNER livery. I don’t know the provenance of this locomotive apart from it being a Nucast kit. It is depicted with the down Scotch goods passing South Box. Again it runs beautifully but I do wish it was in BR livery as I don’t feel able to run it regularly for Retford is firmly set in the summer of 1957 and I’m not keen on too many anachronisms.

Retford does not yet have enough locomotives for there are only just enough to haul all the trains with no spares. Thus all locomotives are welcome and I must get on with my various projects. I am building a V2 at present which is a Bachmann body on a Comet under frame. The loco is actually a former display loco which appeared at numerous shows on the Comet stand. It was very kindly given to me by Andrew Hartshorne. I will post photographs when it is completed.

Sandra

Good morning Sandra,

Let's hope it won't be too long before I can bring the V2 (and the Ivatt 4MT) up to run on Retford.

There is enormous interest (and support) for Retford's on-going future. Tony gee's generous gesture is proof of that.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Hello Sandra

I can't recall the origin of the LNER Green V2 but I do remember it coming to Roy and he was initially going to have it done in BR livery but he decided the LNER paint job was too good to remove.

There were at least 2 other V2s on the layout. One, by Rick Hunt, was taken away by Rick when Roy died. That was a real beauty, fully sprung and with a lovely level of detailing and superb paint finish.

The other has an interesting history as I built it when I was very young, probably around 16 years old. Roy dismantled it and rebuilt it without bothering to ask if he could, which annoyed me greatly. If I had known his plan, I would not have let him near it as it was a loco I had a huge personal attachment to.  Having said that, there is no doubt that it is a much better loco now especially since Geoff Kent painted it.

I also recovered that when the future of the layout was uncertain, along with around 50 or so wagons.

The one I have, along with the wagons, can certainly come back over there on long term loan once we can arrange such things.

None of them are much use on my own pre-grouping layouts and will only stay packed away here.

Tony

Thank you Tony, that’s really kind. I do remember your V2 and I thought it was very impressive and I’d love to have it back on Retford. Also any freight rolling stock would be great as there is rather a shortage of freight vehicles on the layout, a few of the goods trains are rather short and there’s a lack of goods vehicles in the goods yard.

I must admit I’m in a quandary about what to do with the LNER liveried V2. It is nicely painted in LNER livery and Roy had it on the layout pulling the long fitted empty wagon train. I will probably keep it in LNER livery but only have it out on special occasions. I do note the smoke box dart is missing and I must replace it.

I do want the railway to replicate as accurately as possible the summer of 1957. I do tolerate some strangers such as my J38 sold to me a certain Mr Wright at the Glasgow show a few years ago and a J10 which I don’t think would have appeared at Retford in 1957.

Let’s hope everyone involved with Retford can meet up again when the virus has finally been conquered.

Sandra

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, sandra said:

Thank you Tony, that’s really kind. I do remember your V2 and I thought it was very impressive and I’d love to have it back on Retford. Also any freight rolling stock would be great as there is rather a shortage of freight vehicles on the layout, a few of the goods trains are rather short and there’s a lack of goods vehicles in the goods yard.

I must admit I’m in a quandary about what to do with the LNER liveried V2. It is nicely painted in LNER livery and Roy had it on the layout pulling the long fitted empty wagon train. I will probably keep it in LNER livery but only have it out on special occasions. I do note the smoke box dart is missing and I must replace it.

I do want the railway to replicate as accurately as possible the summer of 1957. I do tolerate some strangers such as my J38 sold to me a certain Mr Wright at the Glasgow show a few years ago and a J10 which I don’t think would have appeared at Retford in 1957.

Let’s hope everyone involved with Retford can meet up again when the virus has finally been conquered.

Sandra

Well Roy had some real oddities too, which ran on "specials" so you are only keeping up the traditions!

If he could get away with the BR liveried P2, "City Of Lincoln" in LNER Green and a BR Blue Deltic, you will be quite safe.

Tony

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Well Roy had some real oddities too, which ran on "specials" so you are only keeping up the traditions!

If he could get away with the BR liveried P2, "City Of Lincoln" in LNER Green and a BR Blue Deltic, you will be quite safe.

Tony

Hello Sandra,

there is also my Anglos Scottish Car Carrier sat here doing nothing waiting to return if it is wanted. Slightly out of period too!

Pete

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Hello Sandra,

there is also my Anglos Scottish Car Carrier sat here doing nothing waiting to return if it is wanted. Slightly out of period too!

Pete

Pete,

I would love to have the Anglo Scottish Car Carrier back. I always thought it was one of Retford’s iconic trains. I realise it’s slightly out of period but I prepared to live with that.

Lets hope it’s not too long before we can meet up.

Sandra

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

I recently bought what I think is a WW1 warflat wagon on eBay, but it arrived with 1 broken & 1 bent bogie. If possible I would like to replace the damaged bogies with new ones. Can anyone let me know where I can buy such bogies, please?

William2094813262_WW1warflatbogie2.jpg.c21da8abf181770ca54cb72e424608eb.jpg2094813262_WW1warflatbogie2.jpg.c21da8abf181770ca54cb72e424608eb.jpg

Ratio - from Peco.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

I recently bought what I think is a WW1 warflat wagon on eBay, but it arrived with 1 broken & 1 bent bogie. If possible I would like to replace the damaged bogies with new ones. Can anyone let me know where I can buy such bogies, please?

William2094813262_WW1warflatbogie2.jpg.c21da8abf181770ca54cb72e424608eb.jpg2094813262_WW1warflatbogie2.jpg.c21da8abf181770ca54cb72e424608eb.jpg

Try Cambrian. They do a one piece moulding that screw fits to a mounting plate. No connection just a happy customer. The one piece mouldings leads to easy assembly and a good axle fit with no need for adjustment. Ratio o one but it is IMHO more fiddly.

Bernard

• Agree 3