Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

21 hours ago, gr.king said:

I'm glad I've provoked some thought, if nothing else. A wooden chassis? Now there's something else to think about.

In 1966 I built some very smooth-running Airfix 9Fs and a Prairie or two for my bedroom-based layout, a 12' x 9" plank of wood, mounted on a dresser and assorted boxes.. Ballasted painted track, brown ballast. Green flock surrounding countryside. 

With a Meccano motor at one end driving a spool of brown cotton, thoroughly realistic operation was simple, I even filmed it in 8mm Kodachrome II.

When I say 'realistic operation', double-headed 9Fs may have been pushing it.

These internal motors are unnecessary for realistic operation, and the layout design also solves the perennial problem of unrealistic curves.

Life was in some ways simpler then.

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

28 minutes ago, robmcg said:

In 1966 I built some very smooth-running Airfix 9Fs and a Prairie or two for my bedroom-based layout, a 12' x 9" plank of wood, mounted on a dresser and assorted boxes.. Ballasted painted track, brown ballast. Green flock surrounding countryside. 

With a Meccano motor at one end driving a spool of brown cotton, thoroughly realistic operation was simple, I even filmed it in 8mm Kodachrome II.

When I say 'realistic operation', double-headed 9Fs may have been pushing it.

These internal motors are unnecessary for realistic operation, and the layout design also solves the perennial problem of unrealistic curves.

Life was in some ways simpler then.

Just like City of Birmingham [used to be].

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Compared with many on here I’m a novice myself. I only got back into the hobby in 2012, so I’ve been a a steep learning curve and trying to make up for lost time.

Thanks for the encouragement Andy, much appreciated.

I have made a start and whilst I will plan a bit, I will dive in after Christmas and start building "Basingstoke, 70D" shed yard. I have all the parts necessary, at least that's what I think...we shall see!

I am getting some great advice from those more experienced than me at layout building, that is one of the really good features of this website.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Headstock said:

Good evening Chas,

it's a rather simplified version but if you get the concept, that is the main thing. That's more important than 1 2 3 process. It could be 1 2 3 4 5 6, the method is infantry customisable, to suit the many variations on the condition of teak carriages. You can apply as many glazes as you like within reason, as well as weathering layers and not all layers need be across the whole body of the carriage. I think that many people have a tendency to start too dark with teak and they end up with nowhere to go. The whole idea is to work from light to dark and never  have go back to light. working light on dark requires a whole different technique.

Don't get too hung up on 1 2 3 presto, trust your eyes to tell you if it needs more or less teaking. For example, the carriage below Went 1 2 3 in the first image. It then received an extra detail panel pass with the old whiplash brush and a weathering glaze. the latter heavily diluted with white spirit, applied all over with a big broad brush, so that it dries at the same rate. excess can be removed with cotton buds if required. Then the airbrush was used to spray on concentrated teak mix, to darken the ventilators, cornice and other areas such as the tops and bottoms of the vertical panels, were the wood darkens due to the effects of weathering. The extra work just lifts the whole effect and stops it becoming a mechanical process.

1492245111_Gresley8compTK.jpg.096d9a0d199419bc2227cece3dc9963a.jpg

697577129_TKfinished.jpg.b63d9759cb0e39d081bf6986e62044cc.jpg

Good evening Andrew, thank you, very helpful stuff and I take your point about the number of stages being variable for different effects. I think your thought that "many people have a tendency to start too dark with teak and they end up with nowhere to go" describes several of my attempts.

I think before I build and paint my next teak vehicle I'll spend some time experimenting on scrap material - I've tended to plunge straight in and try to learn on the job, but I need to spend some time with this method first.

That's another absolutely beautiful coach by the way...

Do you run them in rakes? If so, would you post a photo or two please? I imagine they'd look superb in a long line...:)

16 hours ago, micklner said:

How did you do the Q6 conversion please ?

After studying a range of photos in Yeadon I concluded that other than the position of the dome there didn't seem to be any significant visual differences between the two types of boiler. Whether I've missed anything significant I don't know.

So I removed the Hornby dome without damaging it so it can be reused elsewhere as its a nice moulding. Plugged the hole with Plastibond then removed the moulded plastic strip along the top of the boiler that I think shouldn't be there, without damaging the boiler bands.

After cleaning it up I fitted a dome off an old botched NuCast Q6 (this was necessary because it's a different shape) I was given in the correct position on the second boiler band and also the safety valves with round circular base in place of the Hornby ones. Then I cut a piece off the top of a suitable diameter whitemetal chimney from the spares box and glued that on to form the capuchon. The chimney on the old botched Q6 wasn't good as it had an almost solid top so I didn't use that. If you don't have suitable spares like this its probably possible to purchase spares from elsewhere. I'm lucky that like Tony I've been in the hobby a long time and have a wide selection of bits and pieces accumulated over the years. The motto is never throw anything out!

Why did I do this? Because when Hornby released its Q6 I had already pre-ordered the LNER version without studying what they were releasing! Which of course turned out to be a post war version with Dia 50A boiler. Now some of these boilers were fitted pre-war but to none I could find with the tender with all round coal rails.  The motto is check thoroughly what the model is you are pre-ordering!

Andrew

14 hours ago, 60027Merlin said:

Tony,

This DJH one is to be Ocean Swell which was a regular visitor to Haymarket. I remember seeing it on a good number of occasions and recall it passing Saughton  Junction heading into town from Glasgow Queen Street on a quick out and back Haymarket "borrowed" turn which happened now and again. I have a photo of it at Haymarket in 1958 and copied the detail from this which indicated that no AWS was fitted then but which it received later.

Honeyway is now well into its third decade and still going strong round the layout and of course it was never fitted with AWS. However when the Hornby model appears it will be changed to a Gateshead or Heaton resident which had the AWS. Good excuse to buy one!

Eric

Hi Eric

A superb model looking forward to seeing photos when it’s been painted.

If you don’t mind me asking about your comment above regarding 60519 Honeyway, was that tongue-in-cheek  or do Hornby have plans to add Honeyway to their list of proposed A2/3’s.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Regards

David

6 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

After studying a range of photos in Yeadon I concluded that other than the position of the dome there didn't seem to be any significant visual differences between the two types of boiler. Whether I've missed anything significant I don't know.

So I removed the Hornby dome without damaging it so it can be reused elsewhere as its a nice moulding. Plugged the hole with Plastibond then removed the moulded plastic strip along the top of the boiler that I think shouldn't be there, without damaging the boiler bands.

After cleaning it up I fitted a dome off an old botched NuCast Q6 (this was necessary because it's a different shape) I was given in the correct position on the second boiler band and also the safety valves with round circular base in place of the Hornby ones. Then I cut a piece off the top of a suitable diameter whitemetal chimney from the spares box and glued that on to form the capuchon. The chimney on the old botched Q6 wasn't good as it had an almost solid top so I didn't use that. If you don't have suitable spares like this its probably possible to purchase spares from elsewhere. I'm lucky that like Tony I've been in the hobby a long time and have a wide selection of bits and pieces accumulated over the years. The motto is never throw anything out!

Why did I do this? Because when Hornby released its Q6 I had already pre-ordered the LNER version without studying what they were releasing! Which of course turned out to be a post war version with Dia 50A boiler. Now some of these boilers were fitted pre-war but to none I could find with the tender with all round coal rails.  The motto is check thoroughly what the model is you are pre-ordering!

Andrew

I have one in BR livery that needs backdating , the information will be handy.

lI havent checked but I would think Dave Bradwell 's Q6 will provide all the castings needed. In case people dont know, he sells various castings for LNER/BR Locos highly recomended and good service . Thanks

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Eric

If you don’t mind me asking about your comment above regarding 60519 Honeyway, was that tongue-in-cheek  or do Hornby have plans to add Honeyway to their list of proposed A2/3’s.

Regards

David

David,

When I wrote "Hornby model" I was thinking of the actual A2/3 rather than 60519.  Perhaps you could order the nameplates for 60519 and buy another A2/3 and change it to save waiting for a while. You must get 60519 for your Haymarket Shed layout sooner rather than later!

Eric

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, you've noticed.

June 1975, Derbyshire v Lancashire - snow stopped play.

Sir,

I remember it well, I was there with my (then) late father in law who was a cricket fanatic. Similar event at Chesterfield in May/June? mid 1970s again we were watching as the snow came down so we retired to the beer tent.

We lived near Ashbourne then, I even became a well dressing designer but that's another story.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Chas,

I've never been much of a hobby photographer, perhaps because I've worked in the industry for many years and have had two ex Girlfriends, both of whom were photographers . I kind of regret my lack of interest now, as Leicester South GC is in storage between shows, so the opportunity to photograph the trains in their natural habitat is gone. The space was needed in the club rooms for other layouts under construction. That is until Corona got his membership card, now everybody is stuffed. 

I have relied on a bunch of pros to take the pictures over the years, I just directed operations from a comfy chair. Nothing from TW though, he always gets distracted by the signals on Tebay. The  majority of my stuff, of which seventeen trains have been built for LSGC, has never been photographed, beyond individual pieces taken for insurance purposes and posted on here. The ones that have been photographed, are in strictly limited supply, so apologies if the photo below has appeared before.

Image courtesy of Derek Shore.

60111 Enterprise 3.50 pm Manchester Marylebone express no2.jpg

Good morning Andrew,

I think when I photographed Tebay it was before your involvement in the Shipley Club. I know Derek directed me on what to photograph (that was before he became so proficient at model railway photography). I shot the lot on medium format transparency, with some members acting as 'sky-men', waving a huge sheet of tie-dye blue/white background fabric around behind the layout. The waving took out any creases during the multi-exposures (yes, each lens had a leaf shutter in it, and apertures beyond F.64!). Those were the days - a whole day's picture-taking to get about a dozen images. 

Regarding Tebay's signals, what I found puzzling was that with such brilliant, all-round modelling on show, they didn't work; or, at least, not when I photographed it. Mind you, I can talk. Yet another Viessman motor has given up (despite their, ostensibly, being protected). The sooner all the wretched things are taken out and discarded the better. 

Dear Tony Gee, you have a commission for the future (I'll do the scrambling underneath!). 

By the way, a fantastic shot of ENTERPRISE and its train (plus the whole scene). A fantastic shot of a fantastic model.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Sir,

I remember it well, I was there with my (then) late father in law who was a cricket fanatic. Similar event at Chesterfield in May/June? mid 1970s again we were watching as the snow came down so we retired to the beer tent.

We lived near Ashbourne then, I even became a well dressing designer but that's another story.

Richard B

I can tell an opposite tale. Not professional, mind.

During that peerless summer of 1976, I was playing in a match at Dunstall Park (Wolverhampton's racecourse) where several council cricket pitches were set out in the middle. It meant a fair walk from the changing rooms, and the whole thing is set out in a sort of huge bowl. The match started at around 2.00pm, and after a while I turned to one of my players requesting he have a bowl (I was captain). I said he felt a bit dizzy, so declined. Moments later, one of the other players just slumped down. It was heatstroke! There was no shade, and it then became an epidemic. Not only that, other games were being interrupted by the temperature. Thus, sun stopped play! 

We all decided that the best thing to do was just abandon the game.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Eric

Regards

David

Good morning David,

I don't know Hornby's plans for the number of different A2/3s they'll produce, but I think one is going to be CHAMOSSAIRE. I mention this because, like HONEYWAY, it always had a rimmed chimney (don't believe everything in Yeadon!). Apart from this pair, all the others later received the rimmed (and more attractive) type. Thus, a simple switch of names and numbers will suffice (unless Hornby, correctly, produce 60514 with backing sheets between its sandboxes). 

Yet again, those loco-picking joys!

You'll, obviously, need 60519; apparently, 64B got more out of its sole A2/3 than any shed in England, frequently using it on top jobs. Odd, isn't it, that one A2/1 remained in England and one A2/3 in Scotland? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

One thing which surprised me was that no one noticed the 'Flying Pig' featured of late had no steps on the tender for the crew to access the cab. I'd missed their omission, until I flicked through some more prototype pictures. 

1929490313_MillholmeFlyingPig10.jpg.c74050440927ae1edf13db8398fa58a7.jpg

The situation was rectified this morning, with suitable steps from my spares box securely soldered in place. 

I think this is a 'happy story'. A generous donation from Beechnut, a few hours' work on my part, a donation to CRUK and another loco for Retford. 

It's now coaled (believe me) and it's just awaiting its balance weights. Brakes? Another time..........................

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

I’m surprised the missing tender steps weren’t in the box.

Hopefully the Romford wheels will be with you tomorrow, before the balance weights with any luck.

Re-wheeling could be an opportunity to dispose of the plunger pickups?

I shall have to have a look in the cupboard to see what else is lurking.

Here’s another ECML image from FB, Top Shed, May ‘63.

73BE6F5A-23DC-4265-9A51-53437C376FAF.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, 30368 said:

Sir,

Richard B

In Applecross (Wester Ross), there used to be only one road in and out, over the Bealach na Baa (which is gaelic for the Pass of the Cattle, not sheep). In the early 1970's it was once blocked by snow in June. The tourists there at the time had to abandon their cars and a ferry was arranged to get them out. Now there is a 'coast road' giving alternative access, but I would still much rather go over the Bealch in snow than the coast road without. As at one time I was driving over it four times a day, I got used to it.

Lloyd

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

In Applecross (Wester Ross), there used to be only one road in and out, over the Bealach na Baa (which is gaelic for the Pass of the Cattle, not sheep). In the early 1970's it was once blocked by snow in June. The tourists there at the time had to abandon their cars and a ferry was arranged to get them out. Now there is a 'coast road' giving alternative access, but I would still much rather go over the Bealch in snow than the coast road without. As at one time I was driving over it four times a day, I got used to it.

Missed out on the chance to drive over it about ten years ago, when I would have been in the range control room at Applecross if I'd been included in a flight trials team operating out of Plockton.  I still have an ambition to cycle and ride a motorbike over Bealach na Baa .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

One thing which surprised me was that no one noticed the 'Flying Pig' featured of late had no steps on the tender for the crew to access the cab. I'd missed their omission, until I flicked through some more prototype pictures. 

The situation was rectified this morning, with suitable steps from my spares box securely soldered in place. 

I think this is a 'happy story'. A generous donation from Beechnut, a few hours' work on my part, a donation to CRUK and another loco for Retford. 

It's now coaled (believe me) and it's just awaiting its balance weights. Brakes? Another time..........................

You have made a nice job of that Tony. A decent loco has been created from a very poor kit.

It would be a shame to not just finish it off with brakes and perhaps some sandpipes. Those locos were very "busy" under the footplate and it does look a bit bare under there compared to the rest of the body. The Ivatt brakes with their double blocks were very distinctive and quite a feature of the loco. Is it worth looking at the height of the tender relative to the loco too? The tender does seem a bit low as the two cab roof sections should be level.

It is OK saying that other locos on Retford don't have brakes but the ones that don't were from Gainsborough Central days and were retained purely for sentimental reasons. They were regarded as being distinctly outdated and inferior by Roy and were only kept because they were survivors from his first EM locos.

What services did the Ivatt locos work at Retford in 1957? I don't recall seeing any photos of them there then. Were they on the GN or the GC, or both?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andrew,

I think when I photographed Tebay it was before your involvement in the Shipley Club. I know Derek directed me on what to photograph (that was before he became so proficient at model railway photography). I shot the lot on medium format transparency, with some members acting as 'sky-men', waving a huge sheet of tie-dye blue/white background fabric around behind the layout. The waving took out any creases during the multi-exposures (yes, each lens had a leaf shutter in it, and apertures beyond F.64!). Those were the days - a whole day's picture-taking to get about a dozen images. 

Regarding Tebay's signals, what I found puzzling was that with such brilliant, all-round modelling on show, they didn't work; or, at least, not when I photographed it. Mind you, I can talk. Yet another Viessman motor has given up (despite their, ostensibly, being protected). The sooner all the wretched things are taken out and discarded the better. 

Dear Tony Gee, you have a commission for the future (I'll do the scrambling underneath!). 

By the way, a fantastic shot of ENTERPRISE and its train (plus the whole scene). A fantastic shot of a fantastic model.

Regards,

Tony. 

Shipley model railway society has traditionally been a bit rubbish at signals, we should have outsourced and basked in the glow of  reflected glory. Personal, I don't mind the failure to signal, it's a reminder that nothing is perfect in model railway land and you are only moments away from a cock up, that frustrates any pretentions at being good at this hobby.

Your Tebay photoshoot has to go down as one of the best in model railway history, even the signals look good in stills.

re the Enterprise shot, a combination of many talents are behind its creation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Afternoon Tony,

43037 looks much better than the Tebay version of the same kit, after it launched itself at high speed of the shed turntable into the crowd at one exhibition. A true flying pig, It was rebuilt and returned to service but remained grounded for the rest of its career. I suspect the same incident would be curtains for the RTR version.

• Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

You have made a nice job of that Tony. A decent loco has been created from a very poor kit.

It would be a shame to not just finish it off with brakes and perhaps some sandpipes. Those locos were very "busy" under the footplate and it does look a bit bare under there compared to the rest of the body. The Ivatt brakes with their double blocks were very distinctive and quite a feature of the loco. Is it worth looking at the height of the tender relative to the loco too? The tender does seem a bit low as the two cab roof sections should be level.

It is OK saying that other locos on Retford don't have brakes but the ones that don't were from Gainsborough Central days and were retained purely for sentimental reasons. They were regarded as being distinctly outdated and inferior by Roy and were only kept because they were survivors from his first EM locos.

What services did the Ivatt locos work at Retford in 1957? I don't recall seeing any photos of them there then. Were they on the GN or the GC, or both?

Thanks Tony,

I'm holding off on adding brakes until I'm happy with how 43037 performs on Retford (under load, over time). Should she need re-wheeling, it's easier without the impediment of brake shoes. 

The tender has a sub chassis, so it should be easy enough to raise it up.

4MTs at Retford? 43037 didn't get to 36E until 1962, but before that it was in the Sheffield district (as were several others). Many were at Peterborough in the mid-'50s, so could they have run up from there? Other sheds to have them were in the Lincoln district and Colwick. It would seem, then, that the GC section would be the more likely to see them at Retford. From my mouldering notes, I copped one at Kiveton Park in 1958. I remember seeing a picture in one of my books of one on the GN shed at Retford. Quite when, and in which book, I cannot recall, nor find. 

Some time ago, when visiting Roy, Tim Shackleton was also there and he was weathering a pair of 4MTs which had been 'EM-ed'. I wonder what happened to them, because they were on the layout for a time. 

Regards,

Tony. 

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I can tell an opposite tale. Not professional, mind.

During that peerless summer of 1976, I was playing in a match at Dunstall Park (Wolverhampton's racecourse) where several council cricket pitches were set out in the middle. It meant a fair walk from the changing rooms, and the whole thing is set out in a sort of huge bowl. The match started at around 2.00pm, and after a while I turned to one of my players requesting he have a bowl (I was captain). I said he felt a bit dizzy, so declined. Moments later, one of the other players just slumped down. It was heatstroke! There was no shade, and it then became an epidemic. Not only that, other games were being interrupted by the temperature. Thus, sun stopped play! 

We all decided that the best thing to do was just abandon the game.

Regards,

Tony. 

AHH yes, the summer of 76, a few days of it spent not too far from your present residence in Bourne at a factory that had it's very own semi permanent cloud.

Quaintly described as a sterilisation and recycling plant run by a firm called May's, who were also the Ford dealership in the town. 

It was actually a bonemeal factory and the cloud was flies!!:bo_mini:

In three days working there all I ate was two cheese sandwiches and a piece of apple pie, it was another week or so before I could face eating meat of any sort.

Thinking about it, it was probably somewhere near the trackbed of the M&GN as it headed east towards Twenty and Spalding. 

There was also a wheelless, (is that a proper word?) diesel shunter of some sort acting as a standby generator. No further information on that I'm afraid, my railway interest was at a fairly low ebb at the time, something I very much regret now but hey ho....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Re: The Long Hot Summer of '76.

(I think this was mentioned a short time but many posts ago.)

That was my summer for travelling up and down the eastern side of the country, using the ECML and the KX/Newcastle sleeper service on Sunday evenings, and sometimes driving if I needed the car in the week). On one trip I took the A19 (for a change from the A1) and used the Humber Ferry (the last of the LNER paddle steamers?) 

That was a marvellous and magical trip.

Then, on one southbound railway journey, there was the story of the Flying Scotsman and the soup.........

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2