Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Thanks for all the further comments on the 'infamous' 'Mucky Duck', 'Flying Pig', 'Doodlebug', 'Mangle' or any of the less-than-flattering' epithets given to the class. Apart from the (final) addition of balance weights, it's now staying as it is. 

I'm sure if Roy had had it, he'd have altered it, but it's up to Sandra now. I'm delighted to be able to assist in a small way, including being asked to produce some more camcorder footage for the EMGS. Let's hope it won't be too long.

I've no wish to dwell on what's 'acceptable' to some modellers and what's not. Much of what I 'tolerate' would have been booted out by Roy Jackson (quite rightly), but some things he seemed to not bother about I couldn't have left. I was once photographing the 'Queen of Scots' on Retford and said it was a pity that several of the cars were still in pre-War condition with regard to their branding, their roofs were white and and any match-board ones would have probably been re-clad by 1957. I mentioned this because these anomalies showed up in the pictures. All I got was a shrug of the great man's shoulders! 

When this horrid situation is over, I'm sure everyone involved will want to get back together and finish what he started; to a standard he would have expected and insisted upon. A fitting tribute? 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

I wont bore people with posting pics of all the models I've made this year (far more than usual and none are OO/4mm steam locos). However, most can be seen on my RMweb thread - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-scratch-built-card-and-styrene-structures-based-on-real-buildings/page/53/ from around page 53 onward for the start of 2020. But I will provide a pic, like Clive, of my latest unfinished N/2mm building model started this Christmas week. Plenty to do like gutters/downpipes and make and add all the shop fronts ;

DSC_0396red.jpg.95fcf76ba46d3fdfc9be918a4abf2c7f.jpg

and wish everyone a safe and enjoyable Christmas.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

22 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

I have no wish to enter discussions (or should I say arguments) about "Mucky ducks", but I can offer this photo to provide  a bit of evidence. 

It has a good view of the tablet catcher.

ArthurK

455406228_Book8038_2.jpg.dea07556216797d0efd75a78c42e83f7.jpg

Thanks Arthur,

I don't think I've ever seen a more-anonymous loco.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Arthur,

I don't think I've ever seen a more-anonymous loco.

Regards,

Tony. 

43108, I believe, but yes, trying very hard to remain anonymous!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I've fiddled around with brightness/contrast and the number definitely ends in 08. Phil is probably correct. Just to make it even more anonymous, someones pinched the smokebox number plate,

ArthurK

729376863_Book8038_1.jpg.5fb10c306d84f9cc802dbd6b13e794c1.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ArthurK said:

I have no wish to enter discussions (or should I say arguments) about "Mucky ducks", but I can offer this photo to provide  a bit of evidence. 

It has a good view of the tablet catcher.

ArthurK

455406228_Book8038_2.jpg.dea07556216797d0efd75a78c42e83f7.jpg

Is that still in traffic, which the coal in the tender would suggest, or is it withdrawn, as the condition of the loco suggests?

Has anybody else spotted the detail difference in the tender handrail between this one and the photo shown earlier of 43029. I am guessing the handrail was further forward to be clear of the tablet catcher.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Is that still in traffic, which the coal in the tender would suggest, or is it withdrawn, as the condition of the loco suggests?

Has anybody else spotted the detail difference in the tender handrail between this one and the photo shown earlier of 43029. I am guessing the handrail was further forward to be clear of the tablet catcher.

At that time (it was a Sunday at North Blyth) there were a lot of "dead" locos around, (4MTs& K1s). Others were being cosseted  inside the shed. (J27s, 4MT, 08) . Not sure what happened in other areas, but usually the first thing to happen was the removal of coupling and connecting rods. All these were still intact.

ArthurK

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Lovely loco Tony, I always have a soft spot for 0-6-0 tender locos. My first was a TT gauge BEC 4F back in 1966 or so - bought with Christmas money given by my Grandmother. 

Merry Christmas and an industrious New Year to you and Mo.

Brit15

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Christmas Eve's job....................

1959438309_J66427704.jpg.c75cc0426d6aaa690a14bf054b68c400.jpg

Painting the latest J6 (the tender is still to be built, though it's ordered from SEF. It'll have to borrow one for the time being).

Well, it's now time for me to wish all Wright writers a peaceful and happy Christmas. Or, as good as one can have in the circumstances. Our normal family one has been well and truly torpedoed! 

Thank you Tony, and the same to you and Mo!  And thank you for continuing to choreograph this ever-informative, thought provoking and entertaining thread.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was showing my year’s modelling, I mentioned that the C2, Henry Oakley and my Gresley steel panelled artics were some of my favourites. Well they came together when the pair of preserved Ivatt Atlantics hauled the 1700 KX- Peterborough and Cambridge as a warm up to their Plant Centenarian railtour in 1953. I have prepared a Christmas special video of this train as it does a circuit of my layout Gresley Jn. I have based the formation on the CWN and a photo in ‘East Coast from King’s Cross’ by Eric Neve.

More details on my Gresley Jn thread.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Very impressive, Andy,

Thanks for showing us. 

I don't have the know-how to put moving footage on here (I rely on others), so I'll have to make do this merry Christmas with a static sequence featuring my latest J6.................

1667108378_J6onDownstopper.jpg.689d54fc2b6b3ae906e50e294fc2a35b.jpg

Complete with borrowed tender, 62477 prepares to stop at Little Bytham on a Down 'parly'. Quite what a Copley Hill-allocated J6 is doing on a Peterborough-Grantham stopper requires the use of Rule 1, but another rule is that I must have seen the loco - in this case, at Doncaster in 1958. 

The Up fast starter is 'on'. 

141887479_J6onDownstopper02.jpg.01dd962ff889a1d43278214e0b94b01e.jpg

By the time the J6 gets away, the Up fast boards are now 'off' (as is the Down fast).

In the distance is the recently-acquired J52.

11729749_J6A4andV2.jpg.9039ecd2d8e77b0fafba6f7a817e53d9.jpg

And, here's the reason for the respective Up and Down fast boards being 'off', as one of my latest Trice/Comet/Wright/Haynes V2s pounds past on a Down express. Not only that, 60014 (Wills/scratch/Wright/Rathbone) sweeps southwards on the Up 'Lizzie' (this should really be 1961 - Rule 1 again). 

1579426432_J6andV2.jpg.ef37df5562f98ece557858bad6cbd261.jpg

Despite the J6's power of acceleration, the V2 is now well clear...............

The Up fast home has already been returned to 'on'.

861746074_J6andV202.jpg.277b6ae75b7e52fd76b4756a38680c77.jpg

The V2's train contains a Kitchen Car (Hornby/Trice/Wright) and the whole ensemble will be well away by the time the 'parly' reaches Corby Glen, its next stop.

The non-corridor four-set is John Houlden's work (ex-Gamston). 

Thank goodness for imagination................

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Great images of superb models as we have come to expect from you. I do love a J6...such cute little locos.

My photography is rather amateur by comparison. The video was shot on my iPhone and compiled using the free iMovie software which comes with the phone. It's amazing what is available essentially free of charge these days. The photo on the end was also taken on an iPhone (I think) on a climbing trip to Knoydart in NW Scotland in Feb 2012. You don't often get days like that on the West coast of Scotland!

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Christmas Eve's job....................

1959438309_J66427704.jpg.c75cc0426d6aaa690a14bf054b68c400.jpg

Painting the latest J6 (the tender is still to be built, though it's ordered from SEF. It'll have to borrow one for the time being).

Well, it's now time for me to wish all Wright writers a peaceful and happy Christmas. Or, as good as one can have in the circumstances. Our normal family one has been well and truly torpedoed! 

Hope you too have had a nice day Tony and Mo, though quiet by the sound of it . We have also had a christmas like no other ... on our own. We usually have ten for dinner and then twelve in the evening. So very strange but restful. Just had a "virtual" get together with the family this afternoon on Skype , I think it's called. Isn't all this modern technology wonderful ?

Best wishes to you both for next year and hopefully better days.

Regards, Roy and Pat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ROY@34F said:

Hope you too have had a nice day Tony and Mo, though quiet by the sound of it . We have also had a christmas like no other ... on our own. We usually have ten for dinner and then twelve in the evening. So very strange but restful. Just had a "virtual" get together with the family this afternoon on Skype , I think it's called. Isn't all this modern technology wonderful ?

Best wishes to you both for next year and hopefully better days.

Regards, Roy and Pat.

We've had a very nice day; thanks Roy (and Pat).

It's been weird, though. It's the first one we've ever had just as a couple. I'm sure we're not alone, and we've got each other.

It must be wretched for those who would normally join others at this festive time to have to self-isolate. 

Skype is something beyond my comprehension. 

Anyway, all the best (everyone) for better times to come........................

Regards,

Tony and Mo.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

Great images of superb models as we have come to expect from you. I do love a J6...such cute little locos.

My photography is rather amateur by comparison. The video was shot on my iPhone and compiled using the free iMovie software which comes with the phone. It's amazing what is available essentially free of charge these days. The photo on the end was also taken on an iPhone (I think) on a climbing trip to Knoydart in NW Scotland in Feb 2012. You don't often get days like that on the West coast of Scotland!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I've heard of an iPhone, but that's all. It might amaze all readers on here (though I've probably mentioned it before) but I do have a mobile phone. It's 15 years old and is usually switched off. When I came to use it earlier this year my 'account' had been discontinued, since it was over a year since it had last been used! I have no wish to be 'glued' to any phone, in the manner of which I see so many these days. I think I upset one Aussie visitor here by telling him to switch the (insert sexual reference here) thing off, telling him to his face that I thought he was extremely rude, interrupting a meal prepared by Mo for him, our younger son and us by constantly referring to it and fiddling with it. Am I alone in this 'prejudice'? It wasn't Jesse, by the way. 

I think your photography is fine. It's clear enough for all to see, so carry on, please. As a one-time professional photographer, I had to invest in some pretty powerful kit and it's been a great (and continuing) asset. It's not all 'win', however. Close inspection of my new J6 will reveal she's a little down at the nose (only noticed by taking a picture). Even greater inspection of the new V2 will reveal she's a little up at the nose (like her sister). As a cautionary tale, may I suggest that after weighting (substantially in my case) the 3D-printed V2 bodies, do not leave them resting on their front steps and rear frames? Mine have sagged a bit in the middle over the time Geoff was painting them. Leave them on their frames! By screwing them up tightly, I hope they'll sag back, though it's not too bad. 

As mentioned, though I can take camcorder footage, I don't have the know-how to edit it, nor post it on here. At the moment, Tom Foster is doing that. Thanks Tom.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas everybody. Thank you for tolerating my sporadic entries - really hoping 2021 proves to be a much better year all round, including modelling but mostly hopefully we'll start to see the back of this dreadful situation.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2