Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, mullie said:

In my view LB is a very high quality piece of work.  As a lone modeller I find it both inspirational and aspirational. Following your progress and the numerous very high quality contributions from others has certainly encouraged me to up my game.

As a result of which I try to make each model a bit better than the last. I no longer chase the latest red or blue box and enjoy my modelling a lot more often by recycling and detailing older models and building things from scratch or kits.

Thank you to all for sharing your work and a happy new year to all who contribute.

Martyn

I completely share these sentiments; LB is one of the most "consistent" model railways around and the standard is consistently high.  I will never tire of looking at views of LB and look forward to another year of them. 

Best wishes for the New Year to you and Mo; hopefully exhibitions will return and I can bring you some "fixer-uppers".

Rob

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just wanted to take a moment to wish Tony and all the Wright Writes contributors a happy new year. Thank you for putting up with my ramblings and the great advice I have received.

Personally I could go to bed now and be rid of this year, but my 7 year old is determined to stay up until midnight - and thus far seems to be well on track to achieve this. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And the last.....................

213424474_MGNRsequence034Fsonexcursion.jpg.26b2d74088555a553b752413a8002faf.jpg

229071394_MGNRsequence09K2onYarmouthtrain.jpg.6b591a500d6884b217ae1dba71086f2d.jpg

1299534813_MGNRsequence133FonDownfreight.jpg.4536ac3cf612a38d0b9fe4c4fded7fcd.jpg

731154946_Ov0820.jpg.c76cac6b28130fc207e404f61c9f1587.jpg

1738493833_Overallview2002.jpg.81fb520400f7a125ac9805bb47791188.jpg

2118484807_Overallview41FlyingScotsman.jpg.4092bf8836069f12537711e177b0025a.jpg

1590834715_QueenofScots02.jpg.4fa365274f788d9f8416451848c78ba6.jpg

691628504_Signalbox20.jpg.e6445bd91c6b84f91df91c5548f98b20.jpg

1339699107_track-levelview62573.jpg.911534f21b43712be068d8d64d75c1f3.jpg

339118980_vans11ScotchGoods.jpg.3014a4c4f50da2d692a1d83f49a90a85.jpg

170579474_YorkshirePullman.jpg.a7fc43c89948c1377986da066c8483ef.jpg

All the pictures in my last three posts were taken this year. Which seems a fitting way to finish 2020.

I hope readers will agree that all these shots illustrate 'layout trains' in the layout setting for which they were made.

To me, on a personal level, it's important for me to have made/modified all the locos which are seen hauling them. That said, due thanks must be given in part for the superlative painting of Ian Rathbone and Geoff Haynes, as well as the weathering of Tom Foster. As is known, one thing I insist upon is when a model is pictured and commented on, credit must ALWAYS be given for whose work is on/in it. 

Almost all the passenger carriages illustrated show my work, either as complete builds, restorations or modifications, but the freight stock is mostly the work of others (with just a few items built by me). 

I think, in the final analysis, the making of things for my railway is the most important factor to me. That they're to a 'consistent' standard is also important - consistent enough to rejoice as 'layout' locos and stock. Also 'consistent' enough to complement the work of others on LB; or, at least I hope so.

I hope this is a fitting way to sign off for this year. My most grateful thanks to all contributors to WW, and it leaves me now to say have the happiest of New Years. Even happy enough to eventually meet up again at shows! 

If I was being generous to myself, why not the year is nearly over, I don't think my stuff would look out of place alongside your A1's, they have always been a benchmark to aim for in terms of producing a reliable and realistic looking model of the real thing, long may it continue.

Happy New year to you all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Reader's of this thread who have so far failed to purchase Mr Wright's excellent tome "Modelling the East Coast Main Line" might wish to know that PostScript Books are currently offering it for £6.99 - about one third of its published price!

See: https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Modelling-the-East-Coast-Main-Line

Tony

Hi Tony

I was fortunate to receive a copy for Christmas.  Just started reading it and I can highly recommend the book.

Kind regards 

Paddy

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

What the photos don’t show is how well it all works. That, for me, is the most remarkable feature of LB and I know that’s down to your zeal. I’ve never visited another layout which works so reliably - the odd operator error excepted.

Totally agree - something I'm attempting to emulate but it takes a lot of effort!

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tony,

Most of the books I've written either end up being remaindered (heavily-discounted) or given away! Is there a message there?

Regards, and all the best for a Happier New Year..................

Tony. 

PostScript used to be 'trade only' suppliers of remaindered books. In that capacity, we used them fairly extensively for non-fiction titles, which offered a longer 'window' for sale, more beneficial to smaller bookshops. Of all the PS books we've stocked over the years, none have failed to sell out, so remaindering has less to do with the quality of the books, and more to do with the longer duration required for non-fiction sales. Don't be downhearted!

Edited by James Fitzjames
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Not to sure about the angle of the cylinders, but I agree that it’s not one of DJH’s finest, I couldn’t use the valve gear, ( luckily I had a Kemilway set spare ) the instructions were ****, I don’t have a scale drawing , but feel the gap from the top of the wheels to bottom of footplate is to small, I think it’s a bit of a botch up from DJH between their 76xxx and a  77xxx.

One thing that I’am pleased with is using a high level gearbox for the first time, so not the most accurate model but as Tony would probably say a good layout loco.

Have a look at a photo of a 3MT - the valve spindle cover lines up just above the first step up from the footplate, DJH have it well below this.

11 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

Great layout trains and it’s good to see them again. What the photos don’t show is how well it all works. That, for me, is the most remarkable feature of LB and I know that’s down to your zeal. I’ve never visited another layout which works so reliably - the odd operator error excepted.

I think the SPM BSO looks fine. The main problem is the glossy finish and other than that it fits in well enough for me. I wonder if a coat of Testors Dullcote would tone it down. Or would that cloud the windows too badly? I’ve thought about trying it on mine but never plucked up the courage.

One question if I may. The Queen of Scots has a light blue headboard which I believe was Scottish Region. Would this have been carried all the way to London? Or would it have come off with the ScR loco (at Newcastle?) and returned to Scotland being replaced by a dark blue or black headboard?

Happy new year to you and Mo.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

My answer to the colour of the 'QoS' headboard(s) is I don't know. All the various headboards carried by LB's locos (and Stoke's) were made by CGW. Such was the 'loss rate' of these at shows, that I ordered at least two for each train (three in some cases). Eventually, I decided to only put on the 'boards prior to a show's opening, removing each one as the trains were taken off at a show's end. Thus, it was my last job before the public arrived, and my first job as the public left. As with all the anglo-Scottish trains, CGW made the headboards with the backgrounds in three colours - black, dark blue and light blue. Thus, when ordering, I got one of each colour. 

Now, of course, with all LB's locos/stock being 'at home' so to speak, there is no need for the headboards being removed. That being the case, three A1s now carry one each of the 'boards. I think you're right that the light blue one would only be carried by locos between Newcastle and Glasgow, but who knows? Obviously, the 'Lizzie' light blue 'board (carried by 60027 on LB) would have appeared in London on a daily basis. Such is my 'luxury' now, that every named train has at least two locos 'permanently' carrying its name. (When I say every 'board was made by CGW, I've now got a couple made by Silver Tay, which are equally good, including 'The Flying Scotsman' in blue and black). 

1035095578_601560nDownFSclose-up.jpg.bda1146f724683f1c70c7469cb4232f6.jpg

Regarding LB's (good) running; you're right that it's down to zeal. Zeal on all its contributors' parts. I'll insist on nothing less, and, if there is a problem with the running (and working) it'll be investigated and cured. I can usually solve any layout problems myself (though it needed Tony Gee's expertise on one occasion when a Fulgurex motor's switches completely bamboozled me), and, obviously, the running of the locos and stock is entirely down to me. The failure of the signals' Viessman motors is particularly frustrating, but, in time, they'll all be replaced with reliable mechanisms. 

As for other layouts' running, I've lost track of the number of times I've attempted to fix a few. The problems are usually caused at source by things not having been done properly or rushed, and the owners not having a clue how to fix things themselves. DCC has been a particular bugbear; my taking 'dodgy' locos back here, bypassing the chip to have them run perfectly on DC, only to spend hours fiddling with them again in order to get them to run properly on their 'home' DCC system (this is exclusively metal, kit-built locos). Stray shorts, dodgy pick-ups, lack of clearances, etc, etc. That said, let's not start off a new year with my DCC prejudices being to the fore. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

My answer to the colour of the 'QoS' headboard(s) is I don't know. All the various headboards carried by LB's locos (and Stoke's) were made by CGW. Such was the 'loss rate' of these at shows, that I ordered at least two for each train (three in some cases). Eventually, I decided to only put on the 'boards prior to a show's opening, removing each one as the trains were taken off at a show's end. Thus, it was my last job before the public arrived, and my first job as the public left. As with all the anglo-Scottish trains, CGW made the headboards with the backgrounds in three colours - black, dark blue and light blue. Thus, when ordering, I got one of each colour. 

Now, of course, with all LB's locos/stock being 'at home' so to speak, there is no need for the headboards being removed. That being the case, three A1s now carry one each of the 'boards. I think you're right that the light blue one would only be carried by locos between Newcastle and Glasgow, but who knows? Obviously, the 'Lizzie' light blue 'board (carried by 60027 on LB) would have appeared in London on a daily basis. Such is my 'luxury' now, that every named train has at least two locos 'permanently' carrying its name. (When I say every 'board was made by CGW, I've now got a couple made by Silver Tay, which are equally good, including 'The Flying Scotsman' in blue and black). 

1035095578_601560nDownFSclose-up.jpg.bda1146f724683f1c70c7469cb4232f6.jpg

Regarding LB's (good) running; you're right that it's down to zeal. Zeal on all its contributors' parts. I'll insist on nothing less, and, if there is a problem with the running (and working) it'll be investigated and cured. I can usually solve any layout problems myself (though it needed Tony Gee's expertise on one occasion when a Fulgurex motor's switches completely bamboozled me), and, obviously, the running of the locos and stock is entirely down to me. The failure of the signals' Viessman motors is particularly frustrating, but, in time, they'll all be replaced with reliable mechanisms. 

As for other layouts' running, I've lost track of the number of times I've attempted to fix a few. The problems are usually caused at source by things not having been done properly or rushed, and the owners not having a clue how to fix things themselves. DCC has been a particular bugbear; my taking 'dodgy' locos back here, bypassing the chip to have them run perfectly on DC, only to spend hours fiddling with them again in order to get them to run properly on their 'home' DCC system (this is exclusively metal, kit-built locos). Stray shorts, dodgy pick-ups, lack of clearances, etc, etc. That said, let's not start off a new year with my DCC prejudices being to the fore. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I think you’re right about the team part of getting a layout to work reliably. The DCC part is just the icing on the cake. It starts with the foundations and works upwards and every bit has to be right for it all to work as well as LB. For example, I used to I think my woodwork was OK - what can be difficult about gluing and screwing a few bits of wood together?! But I’ve recently been involved in building our club’s O gauge layout (diary below for anyone interested ) And having seen the woodwork from one of my fellow club members I can see the huge gulf in quality. I have a few problems at baseboard joints on Gresley Jn where there is a slight peak - I should have spent more time getting the baseboards right.

Then there is track laying. I think I’m pretty good at laying Peco track but I’m in awe of people who build their own - especially in quantity. Then the wiring - I used to think you were a bit mad in connecting every track but I’ve had a couple of problems this autumn after ballasting in the spring and then leaving the layout over the summer, so on the O gauge I’m following your lead - but easier because it’s DCC!

As for rolling stock, you obviously don't need a team for that. I think in this case it’s about ruthlessly tracking down every fault as they occur and solving them (if possible). The DCC and Metal kit built locos problem is one which often haunts me. But I normally find that if I strip off the pick ups and springs behind the driving wheels and replace with nickel silver .45mm wire (as you taught me to build in the first place) then the problem goes away. 

The one thing which I don’t think I’ll ever achieve is your ability on LB to reverse a rake of 4 wheel wagons into a lay back siding in the fiddle yard without derailing. I’ve given up on that and just remove the loco and pull them back in by hand! Can you give any tips?

Thanks for confirmation of my suspicions on headboards. I have a light blue ‘Aberdonian’ which I suspect needs repainting.

Andy

• Like 5

Tony,

I think you’re right about the team part of getting a layout to work reliably. The DCC part is just the icing on the cake. It starts with the foundations and works upwards and every bit has to be right for it all to work as well as LB. For example, I used to I think my woodwork was OK - what can be difficult about gluing and screwing a few bits of wood together?! But I’ve recently been involved in building our club’s O gauge layout (diary below for anyone interested ) And having seen the woodwork from one of my fellow club members I can see the huge gulf in quality. I have a few problems at baseboard joints on Gresley Jn where there is a slight peak - I should have spent more time getting the baseboards right.

Then there is track laying. I think I’m pretty good at laying Peco track but I’m in awe of people who build their own - especially in quantity. Then the wiring - I used to think you were a bit mad in connecting every track but I’ve had a couple of problems this autumn after ballasting in the spring and then leaving the layout over the summer, so on the O gauge I’m following your lead - but easier because it’s DCC!

As for rolling stock, you obviously don't need a team for that. I think in this case it’s about ruthlessly tracking down every fault as they occur and solving them (if possible). The DCC and Metal kit built locos problem is one which often haunts me. But I normally find that if I strip off the pick ups and springs behind the driving wheels and replace with nickel silver .45mm wire (as you taught me to build in the first place) then the problem goes away. 

The one thing which I don’t think I’ll ever achieve is your ability on LB to reverse a rake of 4 wheel wagons into a lay back siding in the fiddle yard without derailing. I’ve given up on that and just remove the loco and pull them back in by hand! Can you give any tips?

Thanks for confirmation of my suspicions on headboards. I have a light blue ‘Aberdonian’ which I suspect needs repainting.

Andy

Good afternoon Andy,

'The one thing which I don’t think I’ll ever achieve is your ability on LB to reverse a rake of 4 wheel wagons into a lay back siding in the fiddle yard without derailing. I’ve given up on that and just remove the loco and pull them back in by hand! Can you give any tips?'

What tips I can offer are probably subjective to a point, but are known to work.............

Unlike in real railway practice, there is a large discrepancy in the relative weights of the wagons in question on LB. Some, even though they represent exactly the same types, are made of white metal, others in mixed-media and some (apart from the wheels and buffers), all-plastic. In the case of the 40+ empties which reverses out of the Down kick-back sidings, it's imperative that the heaviest wagons are at the front of the train (effectively, the rear of the train when reversing out). All-plastic wagons have added ballast, though this doesn't bring them up to the full weight of the WM ones. 

Consistent couplings are also important, in order that buffer locking does not occur on the tighter curves when rakes are being propelled. For this reason, I do not use 'scale' couplings for the longer rakes which have to reverse. I either use S&W or my own make. In both cases, this means a bar at buffer beam height, which obviates any buffer locking. I see no reason why it couldn't work using tension-locks, though 'consistency's' something I've never found with this system. Anyway, although 'mine' are not prototypical couplings, they're far less-obtrusive than the objects of my enmity. It's often a mish-mash of couplings which is contributory to poor running, both in forwards and backwards operation. 

It's axiomatic that all wheels are to the same consistency (that's why I use Jackson/Markits wagon wheels throughout, replacing any proprietary ones). I know this will be seen as a waste of money by some, but some RTR rolling stock wheels I've found are anything but consistent; other than their having consistently variable back-to-backs, for instance. What's also axiomatic is that all bearings must be brass pin-points for free-running. 

Finally, all track must be laid to give the smoothest possible passage, with no kinks. Laid to the highest standards, on baseboards also built to the highest standards (and I don't mean baseboards with 'high-spots'! 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony,

Useful advice, but the idea of replacing all my wagon wheels with pin points and Markits at £2 an axle is too much to contemplate! I’m not convinced of the need for pin point bearings on modern RTR wagons, but maybe that’s why I keep having problems.

I think the couplings are definitely part of the problem. The old metal Triang Hornby ones would probably work but modern tension locks are too inconsistent as you’ve said (apart from the aesthetics). One to ponder for the New Year.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2020 at 12:22, Black Marlin said:

Well that's my order placed... In whose company could I better start the new year than Sir's?*

*lingerie models specifically excluded from this thought experiment.

I've just checked this with my wife: she says Tony's book will be fine for the start of the New Year and railway models generally are fine, but that lingerie models are most definitely excluded:rolleyes:.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Tony,

Useful advice, but the idea of replacing all my wagon wheels with pin points and Markits at £2 an axle is too much to contemplate! I’m not convinced of the need for pin point bearings on modern RTR wagons, but maybe that’s why I keep having problems.

I think the couplings are definitely part of the problem. The old metal Triang Hornby ones would probably work but modern tension locks are too inconsistent as you’ve said (apart from the aesthetics). One to ponder for the New Year.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I've been rather disingenuous in my claim that pin-point brass bearings are on every LB wagon. Certainly, all the kit-built ones have them but the majority of the RTR ones (which are in the minority) just still have their plain bearings, though all are re-wheeled. In fairness, my zeal with regard to re-wheeling stems from years ago, when RTR wheels were universally ghastly (remember Hornby's 'square axle' ones and Bachmann/Palitoy ones with plastic wheels, albeit with metal axles? Or, Lima's 'pizza-cutter' things?). Some of the earlier re-wheeled RTR wagons have had pint-point brass bearings 'heat-seated' (using a 'dry' soldering iron) into their original bearing holes because those holes in their axleboxes just wore - upwards with use! A situation which has occurred on several items of bogie stock. 

As I say, I know my 'solutions' and methods work, consistently and reliably. Others, no doubt, have different solutions which work for them. I'll also admit to being pompous over my showing of Little Bytham to guests (guests whom I'll hope to invite once more as vaccinations get going). I'd derive not the slightest pleasure at all by having to apologise for poor running when friends/guests visit (and guests who become friends thereafter) Little Bytham. Fancy having to ask those friends to fix things whenever they visit? Yet, it's something I'm frequently asked to do when visiting some other friends' layouts. I don't mind, of course, but when one couldn't even contemplate altering a back-to-back, it made me ponder as to how much real enjoyment he gets from 'running' his railway. Without consistent good running, LB would offer me no enjoyment at all. 

Of course, I always have to apologise to visiting friends for my operating incompetence, but that's something I (and I hope they) have to accept. The last time LB was run, with two friends present, in the late summer, we almost cracked the full sequence, with a fault-free performance. Then, right at the 11th hour, as my head swelled, I forgot to set a road correctly and ended up causing a prang! One day....................... The layout itself, and all its locos/stock performed impeccably. 

Regards,

Tony

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

I've been rather disingenuous in my claim that pin-point brass bearings are on every LB wagon. Certainly, all the kit-built ones have them but the majority of the RTR ones (which are in the minority) just still have their plain bearings, though all are re-wheeled. In fairness, my zeal with regard to re-wheeling stems from years ago, when RTR wheels were universally ghastly (remember Hornby's 'square axle' ones and Bachmann/Palitoy ones with plastic wheels, albeit with metal axles? Or, Lima's 'pizza-cutter' things?). Some of the earlier re-wheeled RTR wagons have had pint-point brass bearings 'heat-seated' (using a 'dry' soldering iron) into their original bearing holes because those holes in their axleboxes just wore - upwards with use! A situation which has occurred on several items of bogie stock. 

As I say, I know my 'solutions' and methods work, consistently and reliably. Others, no doubt, have different solutions which work for them. I'll also admit to being pompous over my showing of Little Bytham to guests (guests whom I'll hope to invite once more as vaccinations get going). I'd derive not the slightest pleasure at all by having to apologise for poor running when friends/guests visit (and guests who become friends thereafter) Little Bytham. Fancy having to ask those friends to fix things whenever they visit? Yet, it's something I'm frequently asked to do when visiting some other friends' layouts. I don't mind, of course, but when one couldn't even contemplate altering a back-to-back, it made me ponder as to how much real enjoyment he gets from 'running' his railway. Without consistent good running, LB would offer me no enjoyment at all. 

Of course, I always have to apologise to visiting friends for my operating incompetence, but that's something I (and I hope they) have to accept. The last time LB was run, with two friends present, in the late summer, we almost cracked the full sequence, with a fault-free performance. Then, right at the 11th hour, as my head swelled, I forgot to set a road correctly and ended up causing a prang! One day....................... The layout itself, and all its locos/stock performed impeccably. 

Regards,

Tony

That makes more sense. I completely agree about the old square axle Hornby wheels and their generation from other makes. I have completely eradicated them from Gresley Jn although I still have a handful of the better Bachmann plastic wheels which I’m slowly replacing. I completely agree about pin points for kit built stock. I think all mine is so equipped although there may be one or two lurking in sidings without. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

Great layout trains and it’s good to see them again. What the photos don’t show is how well it all works. That, for me, is the most remarkable feature of LB and I know that’s down to your zeal. I’ve never visited another layout which works so reliably - the odd operator error excepted.

I think the SPM BSO looks fine. The main problem is the glossy finish and other than that it fits in well enough for me. I wonder if a coat of Testors Dullcote would tone it down. Or would that cloud the windows too badly? I’ve thought about trying it on mine but never plucked up the courage.

One question if I may. The Queen of Scots has a light blue headboard which I believe was Scottish Region. Would this have been carried all the way to London? Or would it have come off with the ScR loco (at Newcastle?) and returned to Scotland being replaced by a dark blue or black headboard?

Happy new year to you and Mo.

Andy

Evening Greenie,

Happy new year. Surely the problem is that the Bachmann MK1's have a flat plastic looking finish that could do with varnishing or buffing? That would bring them up to the same level of realism as the new carriage and better match the locomotives.

Some years ago I examined an original headboard from the South Yorkshireman. It had a layer of light greenie blue paint over a layer of light blue paint, over two, or possibly three layers of dark blue paint and a finally a layer of black paint. There was no evidence of red however, even though I have seen it being sold as such in 4mm scale.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some interesting new books for the New Year. 

I've reviewed them for next issue of BRM.................

1986995569_DoncastertoHull.jpg.04a8d4c9bf3aa8d4c28c95f0e4deece4.jpg

A nice collection Tony!

I'm surpised they used that pic on the Middleton Press cover - to me, the pway men don't look far enough away from that HST!

Tony

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Headstock said:

Evening Greenie,

Happy new year. Surely the problem is that the Bachmann MK1's have a flat plastic looking finish that could do with varnishing or buffing? That would bring them up to the same level of realism as the new carriage and better match the locomotives.

Some years ago I examined an original headboard from the South Yorkshireman. It had a layer of light greenie blue paint over a layer of light blue paint, over two, or possibly three layers of dark blue paint and a finally a layer of black paint. There was no evidence of red however, even though I have seen it being sold as such in 4mm scale.

Evening Andrew,

There are two issues here. One is which is more realistic and the other is the practicability of changing coaches.

Personally I find the SPM finish over glossy and quite plastic looking whereas I find the Bachmann / Hornby look OK. They could probably do with being a bit more glossy for the prime expresses which were well looked after but they don’t look unrealistic to me. 

However, the key issue is that with c.100 Bachmann/ Hornby coaches and 5 SPM glossy ones, there’s no way I’m going to change the 100 coaches to match the five!

Thanks for your comments on headboards. Maybe light blue is OK, although it sounds like black is the safe option.

Andy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Well, we have had a very lazy New Year’s Day! I spent most of it modelling – I have pretty much completed this Ratio SR 12T Van. It has been on my bench, in its box, staring at me for some time now, asking me when its turn to get built was! Here it is pretty much ready for painting. The roof is not fixed in place yet. It has 25g of weight over each axle.

1222429907_Ratio-SR12TVan(01).jpg.bcd01cca0157e167f69ad89ca5b6e82a.jpg

It was a very straightforward build although have I tried to improve / strengthen some of the chassis parts.  On the underframe I cut off the moulded representation of the brake safety loops and replaced them with Bill Bedford ones. I also put cross members in between the brake clasps and also ran some .5mm wire through the centre of the various cranks and levers. I need to replace the tie bars but I had no suitable brass strip; something to remember to put on the next order from the UK. For future builds I may consider using brass brake levers and the like.

1185862528_Ratio-SR12TVan-Underframe.jpg.0531d4e7fb64bbe74794e4605cd6789a.jpg

I have also fitted Alan Gibson sprung buffers (only resting in position for the photo). Previously I have used AG buffers with brass buffer housings but for this build I drilled out the provided plastic buffer housings. Could anyone please advise me the best way to secure the buffer heads in place so they’re all the same length (and still spring)? With the brass housings its easy as you can hold the tail in a pair of thin nosed pliers and bend the end over. But for these there’s not enough room under the chassis to get the nose of the pliers in. Also I’m worried if I bend the tail against the plastic, it’ll give or distort.

I also knocked up some screw couplings for it and another half dozen for future carriages.

1300241523_ScrewCouplings(01).jpg.04397e64b20a68eb60534d6c8c398ca3.jpg

These are Roxey couplings but I replace the central section with a 14BA nut and bolt. The nut is drilled all the way through. I then very carefully solder a piece of .45mm nickel silver wire into the hole, not quite as far as the thread. The nut can then be put back on the bolt and so the coupling can be shortened or lengthened to the required size. They are surprisingly robust, but I’m not sure how they’ll work in practice on the end of a 10 or 11 coach train; we shall see. I also made up some brake pipes but I think they may have gone down the plug hole on the post solder wash up.…

When complete it’ll form part of my 8.25pm Templecombe to Derby perishable service.

Kind regards,

Iain

To fix the buffer shanks, cut plastic insulation tube from 12V wiring and glue onto the shank end.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jrg1 said:

To fix the buffer shanks, cut plastic insulation tube from 12V wiring and glue onto the shank end.

Thanks jrg1, I had the same realisation last night. I have bent a 2mm wide bit of waste brass fret into a 'U' shape. This will be the gauge that I place over the shank between the buffer head and buffer housing to make sure the buffer heads are all the same distance. I have found some appropriate cable sheath to glue onto the tail.

Kind regards,

Iain

Evening Andrew,

There are two issues here. One is which is more realistic and the other is the practicability of changing coaches.

Personally I find the SPM finish over glossy and quite plastic looking whereas I find the Bachmann / Hornby look OK. They could probably do with being a bit more glossy for the prime expresses which were well looked after but they don’t look unrealistic to me. 

However, the key issue is that with c.100 Bachmann/ Hornby coaches and 5 SPM glossy ones, there’s no way I’m going to change the 100 coaches to match the five!

Thanks for your comments on headboards. Maybe light blue is OK, although it sounds like black is the safe option.

Andy

Morning Andy,

I semi gloss varnished ( my own mix) twenty Bachmann MK1's for a friend in an hour. They looked awesome. I could do your fleet in a day for a gold bar or twenty. It might cause a few mismatch problems and gnashing of teeth when you buy your second hundred BM1's though. With regard to the BM1 SMP mismatch, I would just zap them with the same mix. 

I did full repaints on five BM1's to match the the Thompson and Gresley stock built for the 1952 Master Cutler.  They looked much better and the whole set defiantly looked like a prestigious train. I did the clever Tony trick of whacking the ribs, people thought they were some fancy Japanese brass models. I sold them off for many gold bars, I thought that two Master Cutler formations was an extravagance and the 49 set was always going to win out. 

I guess I'm fortunate that I like the modelling aspect of the hobby, I wouldn't be very happy if I was trapped by the manufactures ideas about finish and colour. The fictiouse  green used by Hornby on its otherwise excellent Maunsell carriages is a real tragedy if you care about history. This livery has become so dominant on model railways, that the two different paint schemes that it has supplanted, have almost been written out of history in Orwellian fashion. Evil stuff.

Like you, I have an extensive carriage fleet,  though I actually find the accumulation of stock slightly annoying, but the building and painting of them has given me a great deal of pleasure over the years.

The black painted headboards were the standard on BR when they were introduced, 1948 being the year in the case of the South Yorkshireman. The dark blue was used later, mid 50's?. There are examples of other light blue headboards towards the end, I think the Yorkshire Pullman was one. Perhaps they ran out of dark blue paint and used something that was commonly stocked in the stores, waist paper bin blue anybody?

Edited by Headstock
add missing letter
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some interesting new books for the New Year. 

I've reviewed them for next issue of BRM.................

1454820111_BritishIndustrialSteamLocomotives.jpg.e154155ac7fc885a79ffc7ce335b9213.jpg

1986995569_DoncastertoHull.jpg.04a8d4c9bf3aa8d4c28c95f0e4deece4.jpg

490515917_FestiniogScenes.jpg.b4899764951ada1d78f4b22a35da9413.jpg

2133505471_KingClass4-6-0s.jpg.3a73edb1b8072b6f013c3ebef7e67993.jpg

1460531584_RailAtlas.jpg.8db1af5815d91dcb7c3fa3c6391c69c0.jpg

98178472_TheWesternWay.jpg.fe0fed6400a04910522a4907669cd2c9.jpg

Tony, you may not be aware that Stuart Baker, creator of the Rail Atlas series, died late last year. He was a professional railwayman in his day job. A fine fellow, much missed.