Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

And still more.................

424850311_Elmfield05.jpg.3fa35e568b2da1ce22f204367f71ced3.jpg

Elmfield.

872645541_FairhavenRoad09.jpg.9138d1f86b801a074abfcf56202da286.jpg

Fairhaven Road.

1989439765_Farkham05.jpg.4e7ab87be7b6f0900c64bc797fb9f84b.jpg

Farkham.

1295008444_Feniton29BW.jpg.f7c4d4540acd4f73c579b7954071f224.jpg

Feniton.

1007307091_ForthBridge03.jpg.993704cbca31053392b4d83306499323.jpg

Forth Bridge.

9929756_GeoffHaynesgardenline.jpg.ef8544cf1abb61731139ab585b0f0ae6.jpg

Geoff Haynes garden line.

1926400242_GiffordStreet.jpg.871dd7b8940fecee4ba4120ddb54e3dc.jpg

Gifford Street.

1977258129_Guildford01.jpg.851a5ce81330a2a9ebb89ca884562a10.jpg

Guildford.

Still more to come. I have to split the posts otherwise there are too many shots in each one and the limit is exceeded....................

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I see from my post count, I've passed a milestone.

Just think how much more modelling I'd have got done without all this. 

My thanks to all who've shown an interest and responded to my ramblings.............................

Wow Tony - amazing that you have had time to fit in any modelling at all, or photography, or writing, or etc, etc.....

Well done indeed!

Tony

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

IMG_1992.JPG.6d97e9e2ffed3e80bdcf1b4b469bc7e5.JPG

Mine. A place for everything and (almost) everything in its place.

Most recent item completed, a small wiring loom lying on the cutting mat.

This obviously can't be right - I suspect it has been photshopped and the mat cloned, to hide the normal detritus! :o

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

1759442885_AnnanRoad23.jpg.83f88770940f6ff82ff3812c84dc9568.jpg

What's the first thing your eye goes to on this shot of Annan Road?

1834386488_AnnanRoad23done.jpg.6f2b66180c43e4c2a216daa36fca0605.jpg

Far better?

Actually, the "roof space detail" was the second thing I noticed, after the wonky tension lock on the tender to the left.  I won't deny using the things out of convenience, but being wonky does draw attention...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Additional comment...
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Hi Tony,

What happened to your white table lamp?  It looks about ready to catch fire - or has that already happened.......

Cheers,

Brian

No Brian,

It's where I hold it when I switch it on. It's just muck!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 3

In view of the work spaces illustrated here of late may I add my own...?   Modellers will note hand-made track.  This took me a long time to build and even than I gave up threading chairs onto the code 75 rails.

Lovely models though. 

Robbie_desk_2015_r1200a.jpg.c2452811f36b7c6397ab7b8977b8178b.jpg

I did weather the engine with a brush, turn it around , and add this and that....

Yes I know it's not modelling, as such.

7983_shed3_garratt_1a_full_r1820.jpg.a43caf8b755d27d20835d883c4ec4881.jpg

Cheers

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

39 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Actually, the "roof space detail" was the second thing I noticed, after the wonky tension lock on the tender to the left.  I won't deny using the things out of convenience, but being wonky does draw attention...

Don't tension-locks ruin any picture, whatever angle they're at?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The loco on the right.

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Far better?

Technically, probably - but it seems a bit sterile with all the life sucked out of it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

And another down under. John Nuttall's under construction slice of the West Country. 

Given the 'chaos' in some of the recent shots, this is a blueprint for organisation and tidiness. Even Mo was impressed!

Thanks Tony. Unlike some here, it seems, if I don't keep things reasonably organised (not always the same as tidy) I can't get anything done.

As followers of the layout will know, we haven't had a proper running session for a year now because of the lurgy. I have managed to get a lot more done on the layout though in the (just over) two years since you were here. I've lost a bit of weight too!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Don't tension-locks ruin any picture, whatever angle they're at?

Regards,

Tony. 

I usually regard them as a necessary evil, but that one just screams "wonky", and is impossible for the brain to subconsciously edit out...

8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I was just about to go and tidy up my workbench. I don't think I'll bother now ...

20210104_133647.jpg

It must be fascinating  to see your workbench in action, dose it run to a sequence or a timetable? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The loco on the right.

Technically, probably - but it seems a bit sterile with all the life sucked out of it.

I couldn't agree more !!

I come here to discuss and view model railways - I know they're model railways; I want them to be model railways; I don't want them to be an attempt to convert an image of a model railway into a pastiche the real thing; (I believe that there is a thread for that called someing like 'When the model looks like the real thing). Seeing the context in which the model has been created and operated carries at least as much interest for me as the subject of the photos.

It seems to be a trend in certain quarters to delete any and all context that might suggest that the subject of the photo is the result of sustained modelling effort. Is this something that arises from the 'joint undertaking' and / or 'barter' system of layout development, whereby the nominal owner does not have the full sense of 'ownership' of the resulting model? I have to say that, in general, modellers who 'plough their own furrow' seem far less concerned to hide evidence of the model's surroundings.

Tony, this is just me musing - please do not read anything critical in my mulling over these matters.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I couldn't agree more !!

I come here to discuss and view model railways - I know they're model railways; I want them to be model railways; I don't want them to be an attempt to convert an image of a model railway into a pastiche the real thing; (I believe that there is a thread for that called someing like 'When the model looks like the real thing). Seeing the context in which the model has been created and operated carries at least as much interest for me as the subject of the photos.

It seems to be a trend in certain quarters to delete any and all context that might suggest that the subject of the photo is the result of sustained modelling effort. Is this something that arises from the 'joint undertaking' and / or 'barter' system of layout development, whereby the nominal owner does not have the full sense of 'ownership' of the resulting model? I have to say that, in general, modellers who 'plough their own furrow' seem far less concerned to hide evidence of the model's surroundings.

Tony, this is just me musing - please do not read anything critical in my mulling over these matters.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I agree John,

As one of those modellers, who likes to ‘plough my own furrow’, I need all my modelling time for.....modelling! I couldn't justify spending an hour photoshopping before putting a photo on here. People seem to appreciate what I put on even though it shows the full scene ‘warts and all’. If I ever get Gresley Jn to a state where photos of it could be published, then hopefully a professional would be sent round to do justice to the layout.

I appreciate that the equation is very different for a pro or for a keen photographer.

Andy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

1759442885_AnnanRoad23.jpg.83f88770940f6ff82ff3812c84dc9568.jpg

I was initially confused by the light blue daylight sky and the dark night sky in the same shot, but I guess the thing my eye was drawn to was the formation of three alien UFOs about to land on the layout.

:-)

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Half the issue with me is the rise of the digital camera.

The other half may be that with mobile phones able to take pictures, suddenly everyone is a photographer!

To my mind there is a world of difference between someone who takes "holiday snaps" and some one who is a photographer; not every railway modeller is also a photographer, and as Andy / 'thegreenthingies' has observed, once his layout reaches a suitable point, he would choose to call ina pro photographer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Not really a workbench photo, but along the same lines - shared hobby space with the bikes, the garden railway stock (some of it!) and the O gauge layout.  Oh and the kayak addles just sneaking in.  The workbench is out of shot to the left, and equally untidy.

P1150185.jpg.fc76db52c03951dc0840e3709b161dbb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

The other half may be that with mobile phones able to take pictures, suddenly everyone is a photographer!

To my mind there is a world of difference between someone who takes "holiday snaps" and some one who is a photographer; not every railway modeller is also a photographer, and as Andy / 'thegreenthingies' has observed, once his layout reaches a suitable point, he would choose to call ina pro photographer.

I agree entirely but there is a further change that digital photography has brought on. When my very first encounter with a proper photographer took place, with a certain Tony Wright, he was taking pictures of a layout of mine for Railway Modeller. He spent ages setting up each shot. The lighting, the framing, all the preparation was done before the shutter was pressed.

Anything that didn't look right was dealt with before the photo was taken and the photo was a true record of what the scene was. It took several hours, most of a day just to take around a dozen photos.

Now, the photos are taken by the hundred and the best ones are chosen and any problems are sorted out on the computer but it means that what you see in the magazine or on the internet may or may not be a true reflection on what the layout looks like. Light balance wrong, sort it digitally. Gap under a building, soon sort that. Gap in a backscene, gone.

I am not saying that one approach is better or worse than the other, just that it is different now and in my personal view, something was lost along the way, as other things have been gained.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I agree entirely but there is a further change that digital photography has brought on. When my very first encounter with a proper photographer took place, with a certain Tony Wright, he was taking pictures of a layout of mine for Railway Modeller. He spent ages setting up each shot. The lighting, the framing, all the preparation was done before the shutter was pressed.

Anything that didn't look right was dealt with before the photo was taken and the photo was a true record of what the scene was. It took several hours, most of a day just to take around a dozen photos.

Now, the photos are taken by the hundred and the best ones are chosen and any problems are sorted out on the computer but it means that what you see in the magazine or on the internet may or may not be a true reflection on what the layout looks like. Light balance wrong, sort it digitally. Gap under a building, soon sort that. Gap in a backscene, gone.

I am not saying that one approach is better or worse than the other, just that it is different now and in my personal view, something was lost along the way, as other things have been gained.

Yes I get that - and whether this "progress" is positive or negative in terms of the images produced will be very much in the eye of the beholder.

• Agree 3