Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I should be able to help here.

Both layouts are on the list, the Norris layout is listed under the name Francisthwaite (I never knew its name before - it was always just 'the Norris layout'!); there are three pages of photographs devoted to it in the magazine.

So far as Lonsdale is concerned, it was the feature layout in the first two issues of the much-missed Modellers Backtrack (no surprise there, given that Mr Jenkinson was editor!). Nine pages plus trackplan in issue 1; six pages in issue 2. Photos by Ron Prattley. Lighting is a bit harsh but they illustrate the layout well enough.

Thanks Graham,

I don't think it was the Ron Prattley photos which the owner of Lonsdale was unhappy with. 

It's a pity it hasn't featured more, because I know Norman Solomon had done a fair bit more after the photographs were taken.

I enjoyed working for David Jenkinson, doing the odd photo commission and articles for MBT. He didn't suffer fools gladly (though he tolerated me), new exactly what he wanted and I knew what that was. There are few of his calibre left today.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony, I'm sure I'm not alone in being always interested in these pictures; the vast majority are layouts I've never seen in picture form, let alone in real life (remember how we used to go and see things in real life, with other poeple?) so they're not only very enjoyable but very educational :).

Thanks Chas,

That's very kind of you.

As I mentioned, the surface of my model railway photo library has only just been scratched, and that's just the digital archive. There are also thousands of negatives and transparencies. One day, I must get them scanned. 

I'll do a little more digging tomorrow; there's an old computer in one corner which I've not switched on for ages!

To be honest with you, I'd quite forgotten about many of the images I've shown recently. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I have no idea, Archie.

If they did, I'd imagine sales would be very low.

Regards,

Tony. 

I can't find Tony in their online catalogue but I'm sure he still lives on in their digital archive. I imagine they would be willing to produce you one (or more), if Tony were to give his permission.

They really are fabulous figures to paint since the detail is very sharply defined precisely to scale but more than that it's the wonderfully natural poses that the 3D digital technique captures that makes them so special.

Edited by Anglian
  • Funny 1

45 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I enjoyed working for David Jenkinson, doing the odd photo commission and articles for MBT. He didn't suffer fools gladly (though he tolerated me), new exactly what he wanted and I knew what that was. There are few of his calibre left today.

Being of LMS/LMR persuasion myself, I regard him as my modelling muse. I never met him, but his writings were inspiration enough (as well as forever being  a hero of mine for his role on bringing the incomparable No.46229 first back to the NRM and then into working order for mainline railtours - yes, I know many others were involved as well!).

I noted your estimate of the number of articles you've written yourself and started me thinking. DJ was also a prolific writer (as well as a prolific producer of drawings). Aided and abetted by the likes of Bob Essery, the railway and modelling press of the 1970s and 1980s were awash with LMS-biased articles and projects.

Could it be the case therefore that, since his passing, the LMS/LMR has not had such a high profile? Meanwhile, with 400 articles to your own name in more recent times (and I'm sure there are others who could be named), does the LNER / ECML currently enjoy a correspondingly higher profile?

Just a thought!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

Not that singer, the chap concerned was far more dandy and charming ;) He also turned out to have girlfriends all over the country, which did not result in a happy blonde...

Ah, Stuart Copeland. I had the dubious honour of working with him in the early 90's

• RMweb Gold

Did you ever take any pictures of Westford for BRM, Tony? That layout made a big impression on me when they brought it over for one of the Dutch shows. I still rate it as one of the best "big terminus" layouts as there was always something happening on it, and it all seemed to operate well. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Did you ever take any pictures of Westford for BRM, Tony? That layout made a big impression on me when they brought it over for one of the Dutch shows. I still rate it as one of the best "big terminus" layouts as there was always something happening on it, and it all seemed to operate well. 

I did Al,

In Taunton (where the layout was based), many years ago. 

Most were on transparency (so, in BRM's archive - somewhere), but a few were digital (in the early days of the format). 

I'll see if I can find any. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Being of LMS/LMR persuasion myself, I regard him as my modelling muse. I never met him, but his writings were inspiration enough (as well as forever being  a hero of mine for his role on bringing the incomparable No.46229 first back to the NRM and then into working order for mainline railtours - yes, I know many others were involved as well!).

I noted your estimate of the number of articles you've written yourself and started me thinking. DJ was also a prolific writer (as well as a prolific producer of drawings). Aided and abetted by the likes of Bob Essery, the railway and modelling press of the 1970s and 1980s were awash with LMS-biased articles and projects.

Could it be the case therefore that, since his passing, the LMS/LMR has not had such a high profile? Meanwhile, with 400 articles to your own name in more recent times (and I'm sure there are others who could be named), does the LNER / ECML currently enjoy a correspondingly higher profile?

Just a thought!

The LNER/ECML does enjoy a lot of popularity these days, Graham, but what it's down to, I don't know. Certainly, a 'trip' could be made up the ECML in model form far more easily than any of the other Big Four trunk lines.

Regarding the peerless David Jenkinson, I'm sure I've told this tale before about my first commission for him for MBT, but others might not know.

A phone call came out of the blue. It went along the lines of..............' Jenkinson here, is that Tony Wright? I'm told you're the best model railway photographer around, and I need a top job doing. Are you?

My response was along the lines of if I answered 'yes' I'd be perceived as arrogant and if 'no' then the next question would have been 'Who is?'. 

'What I'd like are some high-quality transparencies taking (they must be medium format) of three 'Royal Scots' which Geoff Holt is building. They're needed for MBT. Can you do it?'.

'Yes, but might I propose that I do the job (which involved travelling from Wolverhampton to North Wales) and send you the transparencies?'. My rates are........................... If you're happy, then please let me know and please pay me. If not, please also let me know and send my work back (I'll reimburse you the postage)'. 

'They'd better work - time is tight!'. 

I did the job and posted off the results. Next day, the phone rang, and.......... 'Jenkinson here, they were right; quite splendid. The cheque will be in the post today'. And it was. 

After that, it was a series of commissions..................... With Bob Essery involved as well.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Anglian said:

I can't find Tony in their online catalogue but I'm sure he still lives on in their digital archive. I imagine they would be willing to produce you one (or more), if Tony were to give his permission.

They really are fabulous figures to paint since the detail is very sharply defined precisely to scale but more than that it's the wonderfully natural poses that the 3D digital technique captures that makes them so special.

They still need a fine painter, Tim.

Many thanks again for 'bringing 'me' to life'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Anglian said:

I liked DJ's sole use of 'blandishments', in the same book and always thought that he wrote such compelling text.

And of course he never, in my hearing, referred to "Oh" gauge. It was always "Nought" gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Kipford.

Don't those SuperQuick low-relief buildings look just right, especially in black-and-white?

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two of Southwold.

Blythburgh, being pedantic. It was this layout that killed off my aspirations to build a model of the same station in 7mm scale, using a lot of S-gauge parts. That's why I joined the S Gauge society and, although I've never built an S gauge model and probably never will, I'm still a member because they're a very friendly and sociable bunch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Napier Street was one that stood out for me. It showed high quality 7mm modelling in a plausible small space, and the times I saw it at a couple of exhibitions it’s running was excellent. Any more images of it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Whether to weather? Discuss, please. 

I think work from Tom Foster illustrates how 'changing' weathering can be, and how it can add a whole new element to your models. Especially with RTR items, as the factory finish can sometimes look unrealistic, but can be brought out when weathered.

For me, there's nothing worse than bad weathering, and there's nothing better than superb weathering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Should I carry on painting my models? This is all done with a sable and transfers.................................

Well, why not?  They look perfectly good to me; far better than I could do .... 

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Hardly, Steve, hardly........................

There's nothing wrong with your painting.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony, you are too kind - but I don't usually attempt lining on steam locos!

Finally, for the moment.............

A layout for beginners. This was built by WMRC members for a book I provided material for and part-wrote, encouraging youngsters/the less-experienced to become railway modellers.

1825600941_Scenics99towardsbuffers.jpg.1cfb13f6e617412fc467c925c0352599.jpg1075712083_Stock95layoutscene.jpg.045667d96681b95433a107af3516768e.jpg

It was mainly RTR/RTP, with a few card/plastic kit buildings.

The sky background is tie-dyed cloth.

I took some of the locos a stage further by slight detailing/weathering............ Powders and dry-brushing. 

851972408_Stock24weathering.jpg.c4ed84d6e44df3bb6b193cf7dfd83805.jpg

1297454513_Stock25a.jpg.2f8a4abd68602819e9519f4a7de5a9b5.jpg

Note the lamp!

I can't recall what happened to the layout, other than it probably ended up given to a children's charity. 

I find involvement with projects like this always a bit tricky. They're meant for beginners, but built by a highly-experienced team. I suppose they have their place. 

• Like 13