Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Clearwater said:

my understanding is that there’s many a taxi/mini cab driver at rural stops beyond commuter zones who make their living from “refreshed” oversleeping passengers.  I’m put in mind of an episode of Drop the Dead Donkey where the morning after the Christmas party, the camera opens on the editor waking up fully dressed.  As the camera pans out, you realise he’s passed out on a bench in Oxford railway station!

David

What a great series that was!

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

At one place I worked, some passengers would quite often "forget" to get out of the train at the terminus as it was a shorter walk home from the depot than from the station.

I did wake up in Selhurst depot one night having had one too many at the pub and fallen asleep on the train. I think the driver was marginally more embarrassed than I was - I didn’t tell him I was staff!

• Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We used to get more than a few who had had a post work drink or 6 in Truro and then go home on the Falmouth line who would sortta say

"We at  Penryn yet?"

Yes Sir, we have actually just left there...

"Oh Ill  have to get off at Penmere then"  *looks at you with "it ok innit"eyes *

We are now  going back to Truro, Sir....enjoy your sleep courtesy of Wessex Trains 

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LBRJ said:

That is the problem with passengers on trains....

I have been on plenty of empty trains in service, but fortunately very rarely seen one in the sidings with passengers still on board...

IF that did happen (and it did!) you knew there would be  "Please Explain" letter headed you way very soon....

Yet if every train ran empty, especially on a main line, the commercial and marketing departments would be having to answer questions too.

"Look chaps, we spent all that money on those new carriages and locos and yet nobody has bought a ticket yet. 14 carriages and not one passenger. This can't go on"

In truth, how many layouts have carriage sidings?

I found the article in MRJ most interesting. Printing sheets of passengers as "flats" worked really effectively in producing lots of passengers easily and quickly.

I wouldn't fancy retro fitting hundreds of carriages but Ken and I did ours as part of the build and it only added a short amount of time to each carriage.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, LBRJ said:

We used to get more than a few who had had a post work drink or 6 in Truro and then go home on the Falmouth line who would sortta say

"We at  Penryn yet?"

Yes Sir, we have actually just left there...

"Oh Ill  have to get off at Penmere then"  *looks at you with "it ok innit"eyes *

We are now  going back to Truro, Sir....enjoy your sleep courtesy of Wessex Trains 

I wasn't drunk but I once fell asleep on a train from Crewe to Manchester in the small hours of the morning, having had a very long day. I woke up just as the train pulled into Manchester 8 hours later having just arrived from Liverpool.

Where else I had been in between I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My uncle worked in the navy. Got on a train in Scotland having agreed with my father that he would pick him up in York. Train came into York, no uncle appeared. Phone call several hours later, “ I am in London I will get the next train to York.” 
train met, no uncle appeared. 
phoe call several hours later, “ I am in Edinburgh I will get the next train to York.” 
this time he made it.

He had slept through missing the stop each time. It clearly had been a very tiring tour at sea. Thank heavens ticket collector’s were on platforms at the time as it was all done on a single” to York” ticket.

richard 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

It is a more tricky decision with no right answer for a layout that has carriage sidings. I genuinely don't know what I would do. There are some trains on Buckingham that go into sidings that have people on board. I guess whichever is done, it is wrong some of the time and right at others.  

David Jenkinson wrote that he painted the interior of his superb carriages black and there were no passengers. Yet people assumed the interiors were fully detailed. I guess the mind fills in the blanks. If it worked for him in 7mm scale, I'll feel a lot better about trying it in 4mm scale.

13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am sure it is all quite legal and above board, just a bit disconcerting to pick up a book and turn the page to see a photo of your layout when you were not expecting it, or seeing it on the internet in a place where you didn't know it was going to appear.

So whatever the rights and wrongs, I like to ask before I post the work or details of other people.

If you noticed, I even asked you if it was OK for me to post your own photos on your own thread.

I am not saying it is wrong to not ask first, just that I like to have some peace of mind that it is agreed by the person whose work is being featured before I do it.

Perhaps a bit quaint and old fashioned but that is just the way I am! 

Good morning Tony,

Would that more folk were 'quaint and old fashioned'.

I think it's courteous to ask in most cases. I also have the greatest sympathy with those who suddenly see their work in an advert or any other use for 'profit'; especially when they didn't even know a picture had been taken. This frequently happens at exhibitions, often with moving footage. The problem is it's all in the 'public domain'. 

I suppose I could be seen as taking too much for granted; as a professional photographer. By my taking pictures of someone's layout, it's automatic that permission will have been granted for those pictures to be taken. That can be (as in your case) at the owner's home, at a club or at an exhibition. The copyright of those pictures is then mine, and I'm free to use them anywhere once 'exclusive first use' has taken place. Occasionally clients can 'buy' the copyright (which means my handing over any photographic material - negatives, prints, transparencies, digital, etc), but this is very rare. 

As can be expected, over the years I've built up a vast model railway photo library. Thus, when publishers/manufacturers/advertisers contact me, I can usually assist them with their needs. It is courteous to inform the builder of a layout/model, but it's usually acknowledged. I'm free to use that library wherever I wish. 

I'd like to think Wright writes has 'benefited' from my being able to post pictures from my collection. 

In fairness, most people ask me if they can use copies of my pictures (I don't mind at all if owners use my pictures for their own use. However, occasionally they've appeared in 'rival' publications without my knowing - which can be annoying).

I think a much greater problem these days is protecting copyright. The interweb has made it so. It's just about impossible to 'police'. Such is progress.

Perhaps, if more people did ask, there'd be less 'friction'.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Checking through some photos on my external hard drive yesterday I happened across several short video clips of my last but one layout Fairhaven Road. I have edited these together to make the video below which I uploaded to my YouTube channel.

I made everything on the layout myself apart from the RTR rolling stock and a couple of ready to plant buildings. Those buildings were modified before planting, even if only being re-painted to a more appropriate weathered finish.

I fitted all the semaphore signal lamps with amber surface mounting LEDs. When shining through the red or blue spectacle plates this gave an excellent red or green aspect. This does not, unfortunately show up too well in the video because they are not filmed head on so I have added a couple of stills below to show the effect. Spot the SPAD in the video when it first opens due to operator error while I filmed !!

The video is from the Bonnybridge Model Railway Club show in, I think, 2014. I was pleased to exhibit it without barriers since I have found in those circumstances people love to come very close but respect the model enough never to touch it. In saying that, we were not in the main hall and footfall through the room was less than elsewhere in the hall. I was very delighted when the layout was awarded the cup for Best Scottish Image Layout. 

Elements of my layout have improved since 2014 because of Tony. I now have all locos lamped and crewed and tail lamps on all trains. Tony has mentioned his dislike of gimmicks. In the video you can spot at least two. These are the life painting class at the rear of the art college and the broken down car with a serious engine fault and with the AA attending. You have to wait till close to the end for the latter. I have a wedding but it is at the hotel, not the church. 

Some years later I took the layout to Model Rail Scotland where Tony was the judge of the layout class for layouts exhibited by member clubs of the then Association of Model Railway Societies in Scotland. He awarded me the first prize. That really was the icing on the cake of the sense of satisfaction it gave me to design, construct and operate Fairhaven Road. 

1348141682_FairhavenRoad60.JPG.060118de9eae466c1c78be69bb819709.JPG

1430071146_Image7.JPG.dbd0d308b8608c616bbb31e1badf9e59.JPG

Archie

Good morning Archie,

One of the reasons Fairhaven Road won was because it worked impeccably.

Regards,

Tony. 

13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

They certainly don't look like a design from almost 100 years ago.

No doubt some eagle eyed critic will spot that 60046 din't run with that type of tender when it had electrification flashes or some other faux pas but I really like what you do.

The tender is spot-on, Tony.

It's a streamlined non-corridor type (ex-A4), a type towed by few A3s (including 60046, and FLYING SCOTSMAN itself). Hornby is to be congratulated for getting such details right.

The only thing I'd change is the green above the cab roof eaves. The cab roofs were black all over in BR days.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

The tender is spot-on, Tony.

It's a streamlined non-corridor type (ex-A4), a type towed by few A3s (including 60046, and FLYING SCOTSMAN itself). Hornby is to be congratulated for getting such details right.

The only thing I'd change is the green above the cab roof eaves. The cab roofs were black all over in BR days.

Regards,

Tony. 

I knew there would be something wrong to pick up on. There always is.

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons I have chosen Shenfield as my intended (rose tinted view? It's not like I have achieved much so far!) layout location is because it's a through station but end of the line for the outer suburban traffic. This allows through and stopping trains - but also has carriage sidings to the London and and also the country end. The penalty of this is it will need a long length to achieve. But it allows stock to be on show when not in use, not just hidden in the fiddle yard.

• Like 5

I've just had a phone call from a friend, asking my permission for him to use some of my pictures (the power of Wright writes!).

How courteous. Thanks Dave.

Just in case the thread gets clogged with requests, may I state that if anyone wishes to use any of my pictures of their work, please do so? Permission is granted.

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3

Rowlands Castle was mentioned earlier. 

A beautifully-crafted layout.

1087585936_RowlandsCastle02.jpg.92830e153ca89c077c94359fc90421f6.jpg

A certainly well-packed troop train..............

I think this is an example where, in response to a post, I can dip into my photo library and find something relevant. It illustrates a point made. 

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, t-b-g said:

In truth, how many layouts have carriage sidings?

We had them on our Club layout at all three mainline stations.. Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury Midland and Bradford (London Road). Very handy to park sets in there if the station was full.  (centre road holding sidings were also a feature._

Leeds (London Road), my new layout has some carriage sidings designed in (thanks to Red Leader) and they will be used - not just for full sets but for servicing of restaurant and kitchen cars.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

We had them on our Club layout at all three mainline stations.. Leeds Victoria, Dewsbury Midland and Bradford (London Road). Very handy to park sets in there if the station was full.  (centre road holding sidings were also a feature._

Leeds (London Road), my new layout has some carriage sidings designed in (thanks to Red Leader) and they will be used - not just for full sets but for servicing of restaurant and kitchen cars.

Baz

They are not totally absent by any means and both Buckingham and Narrow Road have them but I would still think it is a minority of layouts that do. Buckingham's are a bit marginal as to whether they really are carriage sidings as they have one carriage set in them overnight, which comes out early and goes back in again late in the evening. The rest of the time they are used for parcels vans, rakes of goods stock and to hold a permanent way train.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, A.R. said:

Hi All, 

I have recently got back on RMWeb and have just finished my first loco build (scratchbuilt chassis, heavily modified/detailed body shell). Therefore, I thought I would add my contribution to this wonderful thread! I agree with the earlier discussion about adding loco crews but I have just noted I don't have any on this loco (or any real coal in the tender) yet: a job for next weekend I think! This is my take on the BR 2-8-2 that wasn't built; many thanks to @RedgateModels for the inspiration and @Tony Wright for the excellent help guides/videos! 

2.jpeg.408b8202d329c6f36f6b7c5aecbb79d9.jpeg3.jpeg.6ad3a5c0098d4802928b31c224f792af.jpeg4.jpeg.212c23810a1a1aedb4b55d83c929576f.jpeg

I have detailed some more about the loco on my thread over in Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding. 

Have a good evening all!

Cheers, 

Alex

I love that, top work!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, A.R. said:

Hi All, 

I have recently got back on RMWeb and have just finished my first loco build (scratchbuilt chassis, heavily modified/detailed body shell). Therefore, I thought I would add my contribution to this wonderful thread! I agree with the earlier discussion about adding loco crews but I have just noted I don't have any on this loco (or any real coal in the tender) yet: a job for next weekend I think! This is my take on the BR 2-8-2 that wasn't built; many thanks to @RedgateModels for the inspiration and @Tony Wright for the excellent help guides/videos! 

2.jpeg.408b8202d329c6f36f6b7c5aecbb79d9.jpeg3.jpeg.6ad3a5c0098d4802928b31c224f792af.jpeg4.jpeg.212c23810a1a1aedb4b55d83c929576f.jpeg

I have detailed some more about the loco on my thread over in Kitbuilding and Scratchbuilding. 

Have a good evening all!

Cheers, 

Alex

I'm glad, at a glance anyway, to get the impression that you have paid attention to the development drawings for the 2-8-2 design and used the Brit body plus custom made frames with wheels of the right size, not the slimmer-boilered 9F with under-size wheels / wrong wheelbase for this loco, and no more than a bit of chassis surgery under the firebox...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I love that, top work!

Hi Corbs, thank you, glad you like it!

6 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I'm glad, at a glance anyway, to get the impression that you have paid attention to the development drawings for the 2-8-2 design and used the Brit body plus custom made frames with wheels of the right size, not the slimmer-boilered 9F with under-size wheels / wrong wheelbase for this loco, and no more than a bit of chassis surgery under the firebox...

Hi, thank you, you are right, I did use the drawings! This meant using a scratchbuilt chassis, Brit body etc. It was my first attempt at all of this (including Walschaerts valve gear) but I am pleased with how it has turned out. As I mentioned, Redgate and Tony really helped me get this far! I am now building another designed-but-not-built loco in the form of a Maunsell 4-8-0! 

Cheers, 

Alex 

Edited by A.R.
Spelling!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, A.R. said:

Hi Corbs, thank you, glad you like it!

Hi, thank you, you are right, I did use the drawings! This meant using a scratchbuilt chassis, Brit body etc. It was my first attempt at all of this (including Walschaerts valve gear) but I am pleased with how it has turned out. As I mentioned, Redgate and Tony really helped me get this far! I am now building another designed-but-not-built loco in the form of a Maunsell 4-8-0! 

Cheers, 

Alex 

Your 2-8-2 is lovely work, Alex. 

Thanks for showing us.

One 'designed-but-not-built' loco I'd love to see in model form is Gresley's 4-8-2. I believe drawings were prepared for the prototype of this, but the War intervened. 

The nearest I've seen to it is a painting by Jack Hill. 

I wonder, has anyone ever built a model of it?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2021 at 22:43, Tony Teague said:

Interesting Tony, that you said that the very large locos were 'worth a lot of money' whilst none of them were weathered; is that, I wonder, because their owners feel that weathering them would reduce their value?

If we feel that weathered locos look more realistic I wonder why they would not be worth more than pristine ones?

My personal view is that my models are 'consumables' not investments and so whilst I have yet to get through my entire loco, carriage and wagon fleets, it is certainly my intention to weather everything in time - including the Larry Goddard painted coaches (do I detect flinching around the room?).:wacko:

Tony

Apologies for my late response, Tony.

Weathering, yes?

I know Pete Waterman had some of his larger-scale locos weathered. I've forgotten the chap's name who did it, but he was very good. When we lived in Wolverhampton, he'd bring over what he'd finished for photography. It was handy living in a metropolis, because Brian Badger was also close at hand, as was George Mackinnon Ure, and they'd bring what they were doing over, or I'd pop over to their houses. It was a privilege photographing The Waterman Collection.

I don't believe Larry Goddard ever weathered anything after he'd painted it (not that I've seen or photographed, anyway).

I'm definitely with you in regarding models as 'consumables'. Though I'm conscious of any residual, or even inherent, value, I build what I want and either paint it myself or have it painted for myself; painting which always includes various degrees of weathering. 

If I asked myself the question (or asked others?) 'How could I (we) make my (our) models more-realistic?', my answer would be weathering. Isn't that the ultimate goal; to make our models look as near like the real thing as possible?  

Some of the weathering I've seen of late of your locos/stock is of the highest order.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, A.R. said:

Hi,

Thanks Tony!

That would certainly be an interesting project; was it to be streamlined? It would make for an imposing loco in model form!

Cheers, 

Alex

No Alex,

Not from what I've seen. It looked like a 'Super A3' (though, obviously, not a Pacific), with a very distinctive sloping front platform.

I wonder what its classification would have been, since all the other letters for wheel arrangements had been used up?

Anyway, it would have been by some margin the largest and most-powerful express passenger loco ever seen in this country. 

Does anyone know? Or have access to a drawing of it, please?

Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1