Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

11 hours ago, richard i said:

Anyone taken 'extreme' weathering to this level on their models? 

Now Tony do we really need to ask that question? 
One clean Austerity shown at a club night, and one phrase of, “ it will need to be weathered to run on Stoke.”  Led to one austerity which it is rumoured might once have been black. 
richard 

Good morning Richard,

And, here is that self-same modified Bachmann 'Dub-Dee'..........................

theflyingturd.jpg.101acaba4d6e408a80ad5a17e2eaaa3a.jpg

austerity.jpg.0bd40607f548e718005e4ab851cd634d.jpg

Universally-christened 'The Flying T*rd', it's in typical 'Austerity' BR standard grime.

358773696_90732onUpfreight.jpg.26176dc8bc12e0c7414567dfd145a21a.jpg

Perhaps not quite as filthy, here's the DJH example I built/painted/weathered for Norman Turner; one you'll have driven on many occasions on Stoke.

I built another to run on Little Bytham.................

1350013437_AusterityO43close.jpg.59165bd9b0935b65be0bf96ac350fb9d.jpg

1103757842_AusterityonUpminerals.jpg.69378cf384d39449bb350c30252451a9.jpg

Which your lads might well have driven. 

I'm very fortunate to now own two of Tony Geary's 'Austerities'.

604817710_Austerity90040instation.jpg.48c191234748798bf93b97fc1c620f38.jpg

One of the most-natural locos I've ever seen.

One 'Austerity' variation I've rarely seen modelled is the 'Doncaster' firebox type.

395480989_Retford12101932Austerityinstation.jpg.7a456e1bf465431832002b6c453ed762.jpg

Which resulted in the washout plugs and boiler handrails being in a different position.

Running on Retford, complete with a snow plough, I don't know this provenance of this model (could it be modified Bachmann?) but it's very good. The weathering looks 'Shackletonesque'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grob1234 said:

Am I alone in loving the 'colour tones' in the older film colour pictures?

Although modern digital cameras are able to capture wonderfully sharp images, for me there is something about the perfect imperfection that film images display, that adds to the atmosphere. I also love the colour images of F1 in the 50's and 60's too.

I agree, Tom. I wonder if there is an app somewhere that lets you select an image and enter, say "Kodachrome 25" and it changes the colour balance to match?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I love all the pictures with the smokebox door weathering. However, my eye was drawn to the interesting formations behind the locos (as you may not be surprised to hear!). The first and fifth photos (60112/56) are clearly of the same train in the same spot and have a lovely ex streamliner twin behind the drawbar. It must be 1959 or 60 because of the wind deflectors on St Simon but I can’t find any train like it in the CWN. Do you have any idea what the train is or where the shots were taken?

Andy

Good morning Andy,

As Robert has indicated, the trains you mention were photographed at Gainsborough Lea Road on Sunday diversions (your dates are correct). They have appeared before, but discussions tend to be cyclic, and, at the rate this thread travels, hundreds of pages ago! 

I, too, have no idea what the workings are (but the same train appears in other images I have; this time on the main line proper). 

This is where I'm more inclined to use prototype pictures to make-up my trains for LB, not just being reliant on the CWNs (which represent an 'ideal'). Indeed, looking at some of the other images (which could be Saturday workings, of course), I can't find those in my CWNs either. 

Regards,

Tony. 

16 hours ago, drmditch said:

None-the-less, a very interesting display. Thank you. Spent far too long admiring your railway.

I did like the actual wheels-on-the-rail sounds which, for me, were much better than any electronic simulations. 

Many thanks,

And my thanks also to the likes of Archie, who shot the video. 

I suppose I'm so close to Little Bytham that I'm acutely aware of things that might be incomplete/incorrect (though what I mentioned has subsequently been attended to). 

I'm delighted with the 'sound-effects' on Little Bytham (other than the occasional 'whirring' motor/drive). They're entirely natural and not contrived in any way. I think they're assisted by the fact that almost all the locomotives are made of metal, as is much of the stock. That fact, with it all running on metal wheels, gives a satisfying 'clatter'.

Without going over and over old ground, 'electronic' sound requires DCC. Something Little Bytham will never be (except for test-purposes by the manufacturers) in my lifetime.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I’ve been tasked by @St Enodocof this parish to improve my running in boards on Gresley Jn. I watched the video of Little Bytham this morning and was taken by the running in boards / station nameboards at the ends of the platform which look just like many of the ones on the southern end on the GN (unsurpringly!). Can I ask how you made them?

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

As Robert has indicated, the trains you mention were photographed at Gainsborough Lea Road on Sunday diversions (your dates are correct). They have appeared before, but discussions tend to be cyclic, and, at the rate this thread travels, hundreds of pages ago! 

I, too, have no idea what the workings are (but the same train appears in other images I have; this time on the main line proper). 

This is where I'm more inclined to use prototype pictures to make-up my trains for LB, not just being reliant on the CWNs (which represent an 'ideal'). Indeed, looking at some of the other images (which could be Saturday workings, of course), I can't find those in my CWNs either. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Sorry to rake over old ground. I remember many discussions on coach formations but not those. I must be getting old!

2 hours ago, 65179 said:

Painted smokebox doors to try and cover the burnt doors (not always successfully) seemed to be a feature on ex-NER locos, particularly towards the end of NE steam. For example (Mike Morant collection):

Former NER, raven Q6 class 0-8-0 no. 63357 shunts at Tyne Dock goods yard on an unspecified date in 1963. Note the locomotive turntable at the left of the shot. 63357 was a Consett allocated loco from 1943 until withdrawal in May 1965. [H. C. Casserley / Mike Morant collection]

A great photo but, when you click on it and go to the page it originates from, the caption says that it is shunting at Tyne Dock goods yard, the location is actually the goods yard at Consett Station.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Whoever was asking about chain (for wagon loads) a good few pages back: I can get it made down to a link size of 1 3/4" and various sizes upwards. Finish would be either black, dull copper or possibly even rust depending on the outcome of experiments. So if someone can discover what the size is, away we go...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Major Clanger said:

Whoever was asking about chain (for wagon loads) a good few pages back: I can get it made down to a link size of 1 3/4" and various sizes upwards. Finish would be either black, dull copper or possibly even rust depending on the outcome of experiments. So if someone can discover what the size is, away we go...

It was @Headstock Andrew

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Definitely-his Scottish Photographs are superb.  HR 103 at Dalnaspidal is an especial favourite.  Books I would nominate are Fenman's Images of Steam, Colin Walker's record of the GCR and Eric Bruton's BR steam.

Images of Steam was my first real railway book, very expensive at 63/- so it was a Christmas present in 1968 but inspirational photography for its time. Still on my bookshelf today.

The next book that really showed the gritty side of steam was Steam  Portfolio introducing Dunnett, Hocquard, Hoyle, Krause, Lesley Nixon and John Vaughan a. school prize for my younger brother but so utterly different in object and style of photography but much closer to the railways Knew best at the time. Once again still on the bookshelf, but the power of the photography never diminishes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 65179 said:

Definitely not just a Saltley thing. For example there are a number of E R Morten photos in the early 50s showing Kirkby-in-Ashfield's 48379 with a painted smokebox. See for example this 1952 view on the late David Hey's site:

37085d38e3384977ecfd28bb66aa1889.jpg

Painted smokebox doors to try and cover the burnt doors (not always successfully) seemed to be a feature on ex-NER locos, particularly towards the end of NE steam. For example (Mike Morant collection):

Former NER, raven Q6 class 0-8-0 no. 63357 shunts at Tyne Dock goods yard on an unspecified date in 1963. Note the locomotive turntable at the left of the shot. 63357 was a Consett allocated loco from 1943 until withdrawal in May 1965. [H. C. Casserley / Mike Morant collection]

To avoid causing t-b-g to end up sobbing quietly in a corner I won't share photos of the large boilered Robinson GCR locos that often just had the bottom third or so repainted to cover over the burnt portion of the smokebox door towards the end of their lives. The paint line is obvious in many photos, but it's not often modelled.

Simon

I appreciate your concern but I can take it! I did start out modelling the 1957/8 period and my early models were in true "grot" condition including a burnt smokebox door on a J6 and an N5 that looked as though it was about to fall to bits.

Then I noticed how many others were doing just the same period and decided to try something different.

So I have nothing against seeing real locos or models in a run down state. I just choose to not finish mine like that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

I’ve been tasked by @St Enodocof this parish to improve my running in boards on Gresley Jn. I watched the video of Little Bytham this morning and was taken by the running in boards / station nameboards at the ends of the platform which look just like many of the ones on the southern end on the GN (unsurpringly!). Can I ask how you made them?

Andy

Good afternoon, Andy,

Ian Wilson made the bespoke running-in station name boards for Little Bytham. 

I'm sure he'll make you some (at a modest price). Presumably GRESLEY JUNCTION? And/or JUNCTION FOR.........?

Ian also made the supports (in plastic/wire). I assume you'll make those yourself? 

How many?

Regards,

Tony

1 hour ago, Major Clanger said:

Thanks for the information,

that may prove to be very interesting.

Part of the problem with size, is that the chain needs to have a stretched link, sometimes called a paper clip link. Railway modelers seem to use what is called cable chain, which is a completely different type. Cable chain looks way overscale, if you have the same number of links as in a length of paperclip chain. If it is the right width, then there are far too many links. If you ask around the model railway community, you just get a blank looks. I don't think anybody has really looked that closely at the prototype. The relevant information on chain size may have been lost or if it exists, it is currently of limits due to the pandemic. The latter also makes it harder when you can't get your hands on a product, or see it in the flesh. I'm currently in discussion with nautical modelers, who are very knowledgeable on the subject.

Examples of paperclip link chain on a loaded steel carrier and on an official drawing.

Bol33 (2).jpg

Loads one.jpg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A request, please.............

I'm assisting Irwell in writing captions/additions to captions for the forthcoming 'Book of The B17s'. Most, I can add my scribblings to, but this one has me beaten. 

2836.jpg.d879d4d752c5c53167c111de896ac470.jpg

Apologies for my poor-quality scan, but I hope it shows the train well enough (which is what I'm asked to comment on).

The shot was taken in July 1932 and it shows a Down express at Stratford. 

The first two vehicles look like six-wheelers (the leading one a clerestory). Anyone know what they are? 

The third car looks like a newish Gresley, but with three doors on the corridor side (assuming it's gangwayed - it might not be) I'm puzzled as to what it is. Were GE line Gresley 'shorties' being built in 1932? 

The fourth/fifth cars? And the sixth?

Any assistant greatly appreciated.

You'll be mentioned in dispatches. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, johndon said:

One of the Q6s that we run on South Pelaw has the characteristic rust staining on the smokebox door (photo by Tony Lambert):

Q6.jpg.753a5ed8f5cd0d505a3d466053f62490.jpg

I do like a used and abused Q6.

1973347809_20201122_1438572.jpg.41fe3a96d408fe08d36408c2d35e6fd2.jpg

Simon

• Like 16

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

Is the third coach a D140 52'6" FK? 7 were built between 1928 and 1931 with 2 being allocated to Cromer sets.

Jamie

I don't know Jamie,

Hence my question. 

It's the six-wheelers which are the most-interesting. Could they be ex-GE? 

Someone out there must know. Jonathan? Graeme, Graham? Andrew? Please...................

Regards,

Tony. 

6 wheelers look GE to me based on depth of panels around the waist and at cantrail level, as well as the shape of the roof on the leading clerestoried vehicle, but Jonathan and no doubt others know much more about those than I do. What little I know is an accidental discovery from my attempts to find out more about LDECR six-wheelers!

Looking at the fairly shallow panel depth at waist level and the visible joints on the outside of the roof, surely that third vehicle is NER design, although evidently on Gresley bogies. I don't know if that means it was built for the NER, or was perhaps an early post-grouping item always destined for the GE section.

GE bogie vehicles behind those I suspect.

Edited by gr.king
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

The first two vehicles are of Great Eastern origin, and the third is indeed of North Eastern design.  It looks to be one of the eight  53'  6" corridor composites built at York shortly after grouping for service on the GE section.

The rest of the train is a little difficult to make out, but the next two coaches look to be GE 50' TKs, and the one after that a GE catering car.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
for clarity
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony, looking back through your pictures of the weathered locos (page 2201) and the piccies of 60056 and 60112 caught my eye - are they the same collection of coaches behind the two locos?  I ask as they both have ex-Coronation/West Riding Kitchen Third-Third twins behind the tender, showing the cut-back condition of the skirts, but before acquiring any extra doors.

Corridor composite E63765E.  There were a number of carriages to NER design built for the GE section (and elsewhere) shortly after grouping, but as far as I can see only these CKs match the door and window spacing of the third vehicle in the photograph of 2836.

1190228756_Scan_20181221(64).jpg.abbca77ed6cb78b0e734233ef689a737.jpg

(Dennis Seabrook Collection/LNER Society)

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
for clarity
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Darryl Tooley said:

The rest of the train is a little difficult to make out, but the next two coaches look to be GE 50' TKs, 

I think the first of that pair must be a composite - one fewer compartments and more widely spaced at the leading end. I think it matches the diagram given on the GER Soc website, type 13A.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 1