Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

13 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I think the best course of action is to send a private message to Tony, as per his invitation above. He knows much more about the way the parts of these kits fit together.

I suspect that the visible outer parts of the SEF valve gear will be the easiest parts of the new package to adapt to the DJH loco, and that more ingenuity may be required to adapt the brackets to fit the chassis. Maybe the brackets from the A1 valve gear, that you seem to have, can be combined with the outer parts of the SEF A2 valve gear?

I'll leave the subject to Tony and others now.

Will do,

I’ve already left him a message with my contact details in there as per his request and I’ve also pinged a message to SEfinecast too. 

fingers crossed I can get her sorted soon as she’s almost completed it’s literally valve gear, paint the buffer beams red, lining, numbering and then nameplates and she’s done.

oh and weathering of course. 

Ross

22C5C5F9-349E-47A7-AC82-6EB8BF2BA85A.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, D-A-T said:

Welcome home. 

93B4D774-C4C5-4326-ABBE-5C2D562DF277.jpeg

3B0E8F4D-20AD-4CD5-89B5-8CEAB35B952E.jpeg

5A33450A-43CD-4B0B-9FAD-B2D532B31FE1.jpeg

Yes, and we at Locomotion are going to miss No.251.

I hope all you people around Doncaster will give her a proper welcome as soon as you can.

What a shame we haven't got an NER Atlantic. That's one of the locomotives I keep hoping someone will find somewhere!

Perhaps hidden away in an isolated shed of one of our former railway routes......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Ross Natoin said:

Will do,

I’ve already left him a message with my contact details in there as per his request and I’ve also pinged a message to SEfinecast too. 

fingers crossed I can get her sorted soon as she’s almost completed it’s literally valve gear, paint the buffer beams red, lining, numbering and then nameplates and she’s done.

oh and weathering of course. 

Ross

22C5C5F9-349E-47A7-AC82-6EB8BF2BA85A.jpeg

You'll see I've responded to your PM Ross,

The motion support bracket, slidebars and crossheads will be exactly the same for the A2 as for the A1. 

It looks like the parts have been muddled up in the past.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Headstock said:

It's been a month since I posted any modelling updates. Unfortunately, I lost the Teflon washer out of my airbrush, which brought everything shuddering to a halt. How something can theoretically land a foot away, yet never be seen again is one of the great mysteries of model railways. It was already a spare, that couldn't be easily replaced during the first lockdown, at least not at reasonable prices. No sooner was that fixed and painting restarted, my camera went on the blink. That is now fixed but I now have a backlog of things to photograph. 

Anyway, I shot the dia. 113 full brake this morning, it is now finished, though couplings are not present. More to follow.

And especially for Tony, the back end, the Sheffield portion, of the Northbound SouthYorkshireman. That's all you going to get, it takes quite a bit of time to shoot even half a formation, without a TW set up and locked off camera.

762809744_Dia.113BGfinished.jpg.a4864521b551c968820d65879dbd049a.jpg

751195645_SouthYorkshiremanSheffieldportion.jpg.259908c61aaaeb4d7ca234786e6e086e.jpg

Hello Andrew, great to see the Dia.113 teaking in its final form, absolutely superb!

As is the South Yorshireman rake - and the crimson Thompson (very subtle and realistic weathering).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Andrew, great to see the Dia.113 teaking in its final form, absolutely superb!

As is the South Yorshireman rake - and the crimson Thompson (very subtle and realistic weathering).

Good afternoon Chas,

I've just tried to upload a higher res version of the SY, I'm not sure if it's worked. The light is fading now, I shall try some more photography tomorrow, the forecast is for sunshine. I might have a bash at the Bradford portion of the SY, if I can get a reasonable match.

Edited by Headstock
add info.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ross Natoin said:

"I’ve already left him a message with my contact details in there as per his request and I’ve also pinged a message to SEfinecast too. "

Apparently SEF has been taken over by Squires and Dave is concentrating on the Nucast range only, and is in a bit of a hiatus just now with that. I don't know if Squires are going to continue to be as obliging as Dave was with regard to spares and bits from kits.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

Apparently SEF has been taken over by Squires and Dave is concentrating on the Nucast range only, and is in a bit of a hiatus just now with that. I don't know if Squires are going to continue to be as obliging as Dave was with regard to spares and bits from kits.

Most concerning (given I am missing a couple of chassis bits for my A4), but at least the range sounds like it will be safe.  I hope they the embossed plastic range was included with the sale as their brick sheet is something I really couldn’t do without.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Ben Alder said:

In conversation with Roger Lewis at Squires, it is the intention to continue to provide spare parts from the SEF range. This is not just complete chassis/tender kits, etc, but any individual component parts from the range as well. Do not fear that this service will disappear. 

However, with the selling of the business to Squires, it's going to take time to ensure that any spare parts are catalogued and ready. 

It's very important to Roger and his team that the type of excellent service provided by Dave Ellis will continue under the new ownership. 

Any spare parts from the ex-Nu-Cast range will have to be ordered from Dave. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Be aware, though, that SEF has now been sold to Squires and there might be a delay in supply. Phoning the old SEF number at Forest Row currently will redirect you to Squires.

1 hour ago, Ben Alder said:

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In conversation with Roger Lewis at Squires, it is the intention to continue to provide spare parts from the SEF range. This is not just complete chassis/tender kits, etc, but any individual component parts from the range as well. Do not fear that this service will disappear.

I do hope that Dave will still attend exhibitions (what are they?) in some form - he's one of the nicest guys on the circuit.  I wonder if manufacturing of the SEF range is transferring also, or are Squires purely covering the marketing aspect?  I must get an order in - I need a tender kit for a Mike Trice V2 bodyshell, as well as flush glaze windows for a certain Deltic......has anyone else noticed that reading Sir's Forum can have a habit of leading one astray, resulting in the spending of money? :laugh:

Unfortunately whilst it's possible to transfer a business, it's a lot less easy to transfer knowledge :sad_mini:

Whatever happens, I wish Dave all the best in whatever he does.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

However, with the selling of the business to Squires, it's going to take time to ensure that any spare parts are catalogued and ready. 

It's very important to Roger and his team that the type of excellent service provided by Dave Ellis will continue under the new ownership. 

Any spare parts from the ex-Nu-Cast range will have to be ordered from Dave. 

Regards,

Tony. 

That's quite a promise as Dave is great to talk to and so helpful. Not saying that Squires aren't like that - I've never dealt with them :)

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Evening Tony et al

Hope you don't mind me posting this here, as it's a picture I quite like. Feel free to comment / criticise as you see fit (it's got lamps!). The full story is here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128568-hills-of-the-north-the-last-great-project/&do=findComment&comment=4290161

DSC00753.JPG

I've been following your thread with great interest, as that's my old stamping ground from my yoof :D - that's a mighty project you've got there. Fantastic :good_mini:

My <new> layout won't be as big, obviously, but I do hope it will please its audience, once we get back to having Exhibitions.

Mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I do hope that Dave will still attend exhibitions (what are they?) in some form - he's one of the nicest guys on the circuit.  I wonder if manufacturing of the SEF range is transferring also, or are Squires purely covering the marketing aspect?  I must get an order in - I need a tender kit for a Mike Trice V2 bodyshell, as well as flush glaze windows for a certain Deltic......has anyone else noticed that reading Sir's Forum can have a habit of leading one astray, resulting in the spending of money? :laugh:

Unfortunately whilst it's possible to transfer a business, it's a lot less easy to transfer knowledge :sad_mini:

Whatever happens, I wish Dave all the best in whatever he does.

All the casting equipment has already been removed, including the moulds and vacuum formers  belonging to some other manufacturers that SEF did contact work for. That is causing some consternation with those suppliers, who weren't contacted before hand.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I fairly recently ordered a LNER group standard tender for my V2.

Always really enjoyed dealing with Dave at SEF. A real gent, and a credit to the hobby.

I'm not sure what the 'Nu Cast' range includes, but hopefully I'll do business with him again soon. 

• Agree 3

I cannot answer all the queries and questions regarding Squires' acquisition of SEF. Largely because it's not really my business and in no way am I part of the acquisition.

I've been contacted by Squires to see if I'll help in the way I've helped Dave Ellis in the past. That is to say, test-build new kits (and there are several new/revamps on the horizon), write instructions and provide photographs. 

Obviously, I'm prepared to help in any way I can (the SEF product range is fantastic) and I've been assured that the helpfulness shown by Dave Ellis is to be continued. Goodwill is an invaluable commodity. 

Other than that, the situation will become clearer in time.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Evening Tony et al

Hope you don't mind me posting this here, as it's a picture I quite like. Feel free to comment / criticise as you see fit (it's got lamps!). The full story is here

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128568-hills-of-the-north-the-last-great-project/&do=findComment&comment=4290161

DSC00753.JPG

What a splendid picture, Graham,

Thanks for showing us. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

All the casting equipment has already been removed, including the moulds and vacuum formers  belonging to some other manufacturers that SEF did contact work for. That is causing some consternation with those suppliers, who weren't contacted before hand.

Presumably Dave retained some casting equipment if he's still involved with the Nu-cast revised range?

6 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

I fairly recently ordered a LNER group standard tender for my V2.

Always really enjoyed dealing with Dave at SEF. A real gent, and a credit to the hobby.

I'm not sure what the 'Nu Cast' range includes, but hopefully I'll do business with him again soon. 

Could you tell me what SEF Kit Reference that would be please, as I'm unsure?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, t-b-g said:

What a lovely memory to have.

I think he is the sort of person I would have liked to have known much better than just the couple of minutes at a show once a year. I could have learned a great deal from him. The combination of great talent with humility is one that I really admire.

Having been a member of WGC club concurrently with @Chambyit was a pleasure to get an invitation to see Stevenage (Joe’s Layout) which was being constructed to the same standard as his locomotives and stock. I knew him a touch earlier than Phil, as my late father was a member of the same club through the 60’s and into the 70’s. He (Joe) didn’t visit the club frequently, but when he did he brought something he’d been working on for us to swoon over! He was a craftsman of the highest order and as mentioned an aeronautical tool maker, and would take the time to explain how he’d done something. An inspiring modeller.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

Presumably Dave retained some casting equipment if he's still involved with the Nu-cast revised range?

Could you tell me what SEF Kit Reference that would be please, as I'm unsure?

Good evening Brian,

The tender kit you want is reference FT161; for a K3. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, polybear said:

"Presumably Dave retained some casting equipment if he's still involved with the Nu-cast revised range?"

He is waiting to be able to go and pick some up once restrictions allow - Devon I think they said when I was speaking to them last week checking the state of an order. It will take a bit of reorganising and some time but was assured the previous levels of service will be continued.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2