Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2021 at 14:08, westerner said:

Thought I would show that my birthday present ( an O gauge Slaters LNER?BR brake van) which arrived a couple of weeks ago on the correct day  has turned into. The all the figures are by Modelu painted by moi.

106912552_brakevan16.jpg.b64fb3ba6f20e5a57d88b1746ad49cee.jpg

Brilliant! I scrolled down the page and thought it was a real life full size photo of a preserved one - then I scrolled back and realised it wasn't but I still did a double take at the man leaning on the lorry (eating an ice cream?) - that's got to be one of the most natural looking figures I've ever seen! :D

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

With J6s mentioned, here's the latest for Little Bytham.................

1163970198_J66427702.jpg.947dcd3cc49eb6cd3df296b87d832170.jpg

Regular readers of this thread will know that some months back I finished off a part scratch-built J6, fitting a SE Finecast/Nu-Cast Partners set of frames and a tender. 

The body and a set of scratch-built frames in OO came from the estate of the late Roy Jackson, but the conclusion was it was not Roy's work. Whosoever's work it was, it was well made, and the chassis was compensated. 

I've thus built another SEF/Nu-Cast Partners J6 to go on those frames, after I'd fitted wheels and motor/gearbox to them. However, somewhere along the line with all this mixing and matching, I ended up short of a tender. So, I've built this one today, ordered from Branchlines because of the change of ownership with regard to SEF. Branchlines is a partner in the Nu-Cast range. 

I think this mixing and matching is common with modellers, but it can create a muddle; certainly in my case. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I use this tool to help bend etched brass parts:

107671267_BendingTool.JPG.83f91802dc05975732e416c2e5b9a257.JPG

I bought the tool online in Australia, but it says smallshop.com on the box and made in the US.

I tried to source some bending bars but haven't found any locally.  With pre-rolled boilers, I'm not sure the economics stack up.

Would annealing help?

Happy modelling!

Matthew

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, dibateg said:

Interestingly my J6 will also be 64219! I chose that one also as it was one of the last ones at Colwick.

P1050786.JPG.d3579def53f5e5fa41f097748337798d.JPG

Regards

Tony

It was *the* last one at Colwick, Tony, not arriving until March 1960. The only other J6 still surviving there by then was 64257 and that went in June1960. 64219 soldiered on alone until November 1961 and with its withdrawal brought to an end an association of the class with the shed of 50 years. That's  a terrific model of her!

• Like 1

My J6 is from a Four  Track kit I bought years ago. Its scaled up from the 4mm George Norton etchings. It actually goes together quite well considering. The kit is now marketed by Gladiator.

P1050729.JPG.a31748fb93605b22808cd9c3e8903ac4.JPG

Regards

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, sdmjsmith said:

I use this tool to help bend etched brass parts:

107671267_BendingTool.JPG.83f91802dc05975732e416c2e5b9a257.JPG

I bought the tool online in Australia, but it says smallshop.com on the box and made in the US.

I tried to source some bending bars but haven't found any locally.  With pre-rolled boilers, I'm not sure the economics stack up.

Would annealing help?

Happy modelling!

Matthew

Annealing does help, but be warned, if you are using 12thou brass the result can be very easily dented!

ArthurK

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

Showers? We've had nothing but rain (and wind) all day, save for a brief skirmish with a scouting party of hailstones which may indicate even nicer weather to come...

Good evening Graeme,

Though we live in the same county, it is huge. 

Mo and I enjoyed a very pleasant walk around the village this early afternoon; bathed in sunshine. It didn't last, though.................

By the way, are you still making your resin J6s?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

• RMweb Gold

I've been absent for some tme from this thread, and noticed a lot of chat about A4 liveries, so here's what I saw when I sneaked into York shed and found Bittern and Blue Peter in similar condition where the lighter grey in the picture was a pale yellow. I didn't see any lining. :jester:

913428676_BitternatYorkabout1970.jpg.2082b993a1e0a7cd8b2770278b7c51ea.jpg

Edited by 96701
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

Mention of Graeme King's resin J6s jogged my memory..................

1851316997_KingJ602.jpg.a3f7439cd649a8f5fad2dca2325ecf6b.jpg

Graeme brought his prototype some years ago to Little Bytham. 

Very effective, with a resin chassis as well (I think). 

He very kindly gave me one to try.

325220996_KingJ608BR.jpg.975cb86b277d8a6c4c0550560c1d4d10.jpg

I certainly didn't use a resin chassis (though it seemed to work on Graeme's own J6), scratch-building one in brass. 

I don't think I was diligent enough in my cleaning up of the resin. 

851066301_JohnEarth14.jpg.e5fd3cd340fa2f72271ecb91ec9b722f.jpg

In the end, I sold it to a friend who was building his first model railway - with 2nd radius Hornby set-track curves and points! 

Taking off the wheels and filing the outside faces of the bearings down to almost the frames produced enough slop for the thing to go round, but I found the process anathema. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 96701 said:

I've been absent for some tme from this thread, and noticed a lot of chat about A4 liveries, so here's what I saw when I sneaked into York shed and found Bittern and Blue Peter in similar condition where the lighter grey in the picture was a pale yellow. I didn't see any lining. :jester:

Bittern at York about 1970.jpg

Humbrol zinc phosphate primer, obviously.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Humbrol zinc phosphate primer, obviously.

This may have been during to process when they made Bittern into a mock up of Silver Link, even with a false single chimney. 

Edited by Woodcock29

4 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

This may have been during to process when they made Bittern into a mock up of Silver Link, even with a false single chimney. 

The photo above was when they were first preserved in the late 1960s. Bittern ended up as 19 in LNER post war Garter Blue. Whilst the A2 was in the famous but fictional 532 Blue Peter in LNER Apple Green guise.

They were both stored at York shed before restoration. They then spent a while moving about various places in the North East until finding a permanent home at Dinting. I just about remember them in steam at Dinting where they used to give footplate and brake van rides, before both of their boiler tickets ran out and then didn't steam again for years. 

If you scroll down here you can see the yellow on Bittern.

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=4919

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They were both stored at York shed before restoration. They then spent a while moving about various places in the North East until finding a permanent home at Dinting. I just about remember them in steam at Dinting where they used to give footplate and brake van rides, before both of their boiler tickets ran out and then didn't steam again for years. 

If you scroll down here you can see the yellow on Bittern.

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=4919

Jason

Bittern was never steamed at Dinting. Blue Peter was ... until one day there was a bad leak from one of the large tubes and that was that (until the subsequent NELPG restoration)

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Graeme,

Though we live in the same county, it is huge. 

Mo and I enjoyed a very pleasant walk around the village this early afternoon; bathed in sunshine. It didn't last, though.................

By the way, are you still making your resin J6s?

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, the county is huge, and we seem to get an "estuarial" twist on the weather, no matter what the forecast.

The resin J6 loco parts could probably still be made to an acceptable standard, but there's a snag with the tenders because "somebody" hasn't yet got round to making a new mould to replace the failed one for the tank / bunker...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Bittern was never steamed at Dinting. Blue Peter was ... until one day there was a bad leak from one of the large tubes and that was that (until the subsequent NELPG restoration)

I was questioning myself on this one as I had footplate rides on a blue A4 at dinting. Just found some very faded instamatics and it Sir Nigel Gresley.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/02/2021 at 09:43, Tony Wright said:

What a beautifully-natural loco Matthew,

Thanks for showing us. 

On the four LRM ex-GN six-coupled locos I've built in OO, I've filed down the outside faces of the bearings almost until they're flush with the frames (otherwise there's no sideplay). 

The minimum radius on the GN for Little Bytham is 3' on the main lines and 2' 6" in some of the sidings. On the MR/M&GNR bit it's down to 2', though none of the LRM six-coupled locos operate on there (as yet; I have a J3 to build). 

Regarding a crease in the smokebox wrapper around the chimney aperture, how are you rolling it? Without rolling bars, a crease is probably inevitable, because it's the weakest point. 

All is not lost, however. Once it's securely soldered in place to the smokebox itself, you'll end up with a slight 'peak', right at the top. Just carefully file this down to the same round profile as the rest. Once the chimney's on, you won't notice. As I can't notice on your model.................

Here's my LRM J6, built to represent one of the earlier Ivatt 521 Series......

333583099_J615painted.jpg.1c17a7815ba81d0a650c35daa0af5d75.jpg

1930429199_J66417401.jpg.24ce51b45625a77928ed86b76dbe578e.jpg

1225292549_J66417402.jpg.9124876ce2391a84499ed6ea05169c24.jpg

1796091451_J66417403.jpg.7d0db23575e687a7f8cb313486686b54.jpg

Can one have too many J6s for a latter day ER steam depiction? 

I have this one, four Nu-Cast/SEF ones and an ancient WSM example. 

It's been mentioned on here before, but wouldn't an RTR J6 be feasible? It's certainly a popular loco type, if the number I've built for others is anything to go by. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

lovely locomotive, elegant signals, lovingly installed point rodding and track, nice scenery..... That Guards van though, ugh, I thought LB was finished? Better get a Parkside kit.

• Agree 1

On 04/02/2021 at 09:17, Tony Wright said:

Good morning John,

Would you care to pen some lines about your wonderful layout for BRM, using your photographs and mine? A sort of 'progress report'? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Do you have an email address so we can discuss this 'off board'?

John

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

lovely locomotive, elegant signals, lovingly installed point rodding and track, nice scenery..... That Guards van though, ugh, I thought LB was finished? Better get a Parkside kit.

Or either of the very nice current Hornby rtr ones. The Mainline/Bachmann van is definitely showing its 1970s ancestry nowadays.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Good morning Tony,

Fear not, Andrew,

The picture was taken some little time ago, and the brake van has long gone........................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1