Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks David,

How does micro set differ from micro sol? I have the latter but not the former.

Andy

Sol softens the  transfer to grip around rivets and edges and so on. Set helps general adhesion.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

So what was the one I went behind then? :scratchhead:

It certainly wasn't Sir Nigel Gresley as I knew SNG as it was at Carnforth and none of the others fit. I was a regular visitor at the time.

I also remember the O4 and 30925 Cheltenham still in BR green livery.

Yes, SNG was Carnforth-based (with 4472) in the 1970s/1980s - but it did visit Dinting on several occasions. Dinting was also used as a stabling place for many of the locos involved with the 1980 Rainhill cavalcade as well as the 'Great Railway Exposition' held that summer at Liverpool Road station (now MOSI) - I can't be certain but I think SNG was stabled at Dinting in between these events.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

A week or so ago we were discussing transfers on here at which some people were praising pressfix transfers. I hit a problem last night with a couple of Parkside 0 gauge wagon kits I'm just finishing off (bought unmade second hand off eBay). They have transfers included but they are very old PC Models pressfix transfers and are completely dry. I tried to use them but they just float about on the wagon side - I can't make them adhere. Is there a trick to renovating these transfers or do I bin them and buy some Fox waterslide ones?

Any advice gratefully received.

Andy

A year or so back I had the same issue. I contacted Peco and they were able to supply replacement waterslide sheets. I still have some unused decals depending on which wagons they are I might have some that will be of use. 

Micro Sol as mentioned is the more aggressive setting solution from the micro scale range. It’s useful for compound curves and areas like rivers and crossing panel lines. I’ve not found them (microset/Sol) very helpful with HMRS transfers.

Edited by PMP
  • Thanks 1

For very old  / not sticky enough  transfers, when replacements are not available, not convenient, or not considered economically justified, has anybody attempted to slide them into place very carefully on a layer of thinned, wet oil-based varnish, or positioned them dry and then allowed thinned varnish to creep under the transfer by capillary action, so that either way it sticks the transfer once it dries? I realise that extreme care with a brush, cocktail stick, needle-point tweezers or suchlike would be called for as a means positioning the transfer correctly without ripping it...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

3 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Many thanks to everyone who has helped with questions I have asked in this thread, Tony Wright, and also those who commented on my Ellerby thread, Lezz01, Barry 0, Mike Edge and the members of Leeds MRS. Some different opinions on parts of the build, and some bits fudged through by me, but after a couple of months building my second brass loco runs and is ready for priming.

A Lancashire and Yorkshire Class 23 Saddle Tank, by London Road Models. I had to open out the space behind the splashers, especially around the cab as this is OO Gauge and the back to back was a bit tight on the body when I put it in. Still needs a bit of cleaning up before priming, and the odd parts to be added after initial painting, like the buffers.

Here are a few photos at this stage.
Class23_069.jpg

Class23_067.jpg

Class23_070.jpg

The experience from building this I hope has given me the knowledge to get my first build a Comet Caprotti Black 5 running too. It was nearly there but had a tight point where the wheels would lock, some going back and carefully rebuilding I hope will get that going.

I will post some photos of the Class 23 when painted and weathered, and hopfully the Black 5 too.

Again, thank you to everyone here for inspiration and sharing knowledge.

Jamie

Good evening Jamie,

You'll find there are many who'll help you on this thread.

It's read by folk who actually make things, and are prepared to answer questions. Mike Edge, in particular, has a great deal of experience to offer.

Your second brass kit? I haven't a clue where the second brass loco kit I built is (or my third, fourth, fifth.....). When shows return, I dread someone bringing one along! 

Well done. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Afternoon Tony

I like the looks of a J6 I have two underlined in my  combine 64191 and 64245 I would imagine they were withdrawn when I saw them .

Can you tell me how you glaze the windows ?

Dennis

Good evening Dennis,

I saw the one I've modelled at Doncaster, in the summer of 1958. I believe it was one of the last survivors, at Copley Hill in the early-'60s.

I use 'Glue-n-Glaze' to form the spectacles. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks David,

Andy

One has more strength than the other. I think it's Micro Sol in the bottle with red typography that is the stronger of the two. I only use it if I'm trying to get decals onto a compound curve otherwise I go for the less potent of the two.

• Informative/Useful 1

56 minutes ago, gr.king said:

For very old  / not sticky enough  transfers, when replacements are not available, not convenient, or not considered economically justified, has anybody attempted to slide them into place very carefully on a layer of thinned, wet oil-based varnish, or positioned them dry and then allowed thinned varnish to creep under the transfer by capillary action, so that either way it sticks the transfer once it dries? I realise that extreme care with a brush, cocktail stick, needle-point tweezers or suchlike would be called for as a means positioning the transfer correctly without ripping it...

Yes I have a few times. On a Millholme Dreadnought some years ago and more recently on a couple of my Howlden 6-wheelers. It has a couple of times resulted in a slightly less than smooth finish.

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I've found that non-sticky transfers will adhere to Klear that hasn't dried. Klear is an acrylic gloss varnish so an oil based varnish is not necessary. You do need to position quickly, carefully and accurately. And I seal with a coat of acrylic matt varnish when the transfer and Klear is dry.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jamiel said:

A Lancashire and Yorkshire Class 23 Saddle Tank, by London Road Models. I had to open out the space behind the splashers, especially around the cab as this is OO Gauge and the back to back was a bit tight on the body when I put it in. Still needs a bit of cleaning up before priming, and the odd parts to be added after initial painting, like the buffers.

Fit the buffer heads before painting Jamie - steam loco buffers are black all over, they don't have a shiny machined shank.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Anyone know any more about the 1970s history of the pair?

Only second hand... my late father and some other members of 4498's regular working party were asked to visit Dinting and assess 19 with a view to returning it to running order.   His opinion at the time was that it would never run again mainly due to badly cracked frames.    He was equally surprised and pleased to see it back on the main line.   John Graham would undoubtedly have been involved in that visit, he might remember more detail.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Micro Set (blue text on bottle) will soften a transfer a little and also helps make it stick better. It should be painted onto the surface the transfer is to be applied to just before the transfer is applied. Micro Sol is a more aggressive solvent and makes a transfer very fragile whilst it works its magic. They work very well when used together.

Microscale also make "Liquid Decal Film" which can be used to restore older transfers - acting like a varnish to restore old transfers. I've not used it yet but have some on order.

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Micro Set (blue text on bottle) will soften a transfer a little and also helps make it stick better. It should be painted onto the surface the transfer is to be applied to just before the transfer is applied. Micro Sol is a more aggressive solvent and makes a transfer very fragile whilst it works its magic. They work very well when used together.

Microscale also make "Liquid Decal Film" which can be used to restore older transfers - acting like a varnish to restore old transfers. I've not used it yet but have some on order.

Steven B.

Thanks Steven,

I have Microsol and it does help encourage pressfix transfers to counter round rivet detail etc. I also have liquid decal film which is brilliant on water slide transfers. It helps them counter round rivets and also gets under the carrier film making it invisible. But when I tried Liquid Decal Film on the old pressfix transfers after application they just curled up and were therefore useless. Are you saying that it should be painted onto the transfers before application? I haven’t tried Micro Set - it sounds like that might encourage my old transfers to stick.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Steven B.

I find Micro Sol and Micro Set invaluable but as Steven notes Micro Set needs care. If you've overdone it and find slight 'crinkling' of the decal, leave well alone overnight and  usually it will be alright in the morning.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Only second hand... my late father and some other members of 4498's regular working party were asked to visit Dinting and assess 19 with a view to returning it to running order.   His opinion at the time was that it would never run again mainly due to badly cracked frames.    He was equally surprised and pleased to see it back on the main line.   John Graham would undoubtedly have been involved in that visit, he might remember more detail.

She must have been repaired well in more recent times, Jonathan................

2085830189_60019Bytham02.jpg.41b7b09a8c025a23b2a4af2e4aedbb6c.jpg

Late one summer evening over a decade ago................ Today, the site of the rubble of Little Bytham's goods shed and yard is occupied by four large, detached houses.

641929867_Bittern4121402.jpg.87d13ffddaa33d941de7a61800a488ba.jpg

Heading north, BITTERN is now in garter blue.

Bittern.jpg.b3a2eaac21dccb009731f81cffe87034.jpg

Why didn't I have this view from my bedroom window when I was a kid? 

One thing I regret not happening (when she got a new tender tank) is that it wasn't built to represent one of the 'true' A4 tenders, the 1935-style streamlined corridor sort. Instead, we've got yet another 1928-type corridor tender - as running behind 60007, 60009 and 60010. Granted, in general service BITTERN only ever towed a streamlined non-corridor type, but it would have been good to have an 'original' one.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

She must have been repaired well in more recent times,

I think that if you'd said then that the nascent railway heritage industry would eventually have the capability to build a completely new A1 - let alone a P2 - you'd have been laughed all the way back to Carnforth.  Compared to that and some of the other restorations which have since been achieved, new frame sections for an A4 start to look less of a mountain to climb.   Still, it needs someone to dig very deep into their pockets and all credit to them for doing so.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks Steven,

I have Microsol and it does help encourage pressfix transfers to counter round rivet detail etc. I also have liquid decal film which is brilliant on water slide transfers. It helps them counter round rivets and also gets under the carrier film making it invisible. But when I tried Liquid Decal Film on the old pressfix transfers after application they just curled up and were therefore useless. Are you saying that it should be painted onto the transfers before application? I haven’t tried Micro Set - it sounds like that might encourage my old transfers to stick.

Andy

Yes, the idea with the liquid decal film is that you put in onto the transfer sheet itself before application.

I bought some by mistake and wondered why it wasn't behaving like the usual Micro-Sol and Micro-Set.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/02/2021 at 20:34, 96701 said:

I've been absent for some tme from this thread, and noticed a lot of chat about A4 liveries, so here's what I saw when I sneaked into York shed and found Bittern and Blue Peter in similar condition where the lighter grey in the picture was a pale yellow. I didn't see any lining. :jester:

Bittern at York about 1970.jpg

This would be about 1968/1969 when 60019 was in the process of being repainted from B.R. to L.N.E.R. livery as No . 19 . She was painted in a yellow under coat & looked very strange . I played a very small part in stripping her B.R. paintwork .When York shed was needed for renovation for the N.R.M. the two engines were moved to Neville Hill for storage until a fall out over unpaid rent led to their move to Walton colliery .

Geoff Drury was indeed an enigmatic character , we often found him sat in the cab of 60532 shooting pigeons . He had tried to preserve no. 60145 "Saint Mungo " but told me  that she was a complete wreck & so turned to 60019 , the cracked frames dating back to B.R. days . I believe modern welding techniques Have a allowed a complete repair more recently .

Ray .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

This would be about 1968/1969 when 60019 was in the process of being repainted from B.R. to L.N.E.R. livery as No . 19 . She was painted in a yellow under coat & looked very strange . I played a very small part in stripping her B.R. paintwork .When York shed was needed for renovation for the N.R.M. the two engines were moved to Neville Hill for storage until a fall out over unpaid rent led to their move to Walton colliery .

Geoff Drury was indeed an enigmatic character , we often found him sat in the cab of 60532 shooting pigeons . He had tried to preserve no. 60145 "Saint Mungo " but told me  that she was a complete wreck & so turned to 60019 , the cracked frames dating back to B.R. days . I believe modern welding techniques Have a allowed a complete repair more recently .

Ray .

I took a photo of York North coaling tower partially demolished on the same trip, and Wikipedia has this as May 1970.

3 minutes ago, 96701 said:

I took a photo of York North coaling tower partially demolished on the same trip, and Wikipedia has this as May 1970.

That could well be right as I  can't remember exactly when I stopped working on the engines ( A- levels were looming!) The story of the demolition of York's coaling tower is a saga in itself!

Cheers ,

Ray . 

10 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I think that if you'd said then that the nascent railway heritage industry would eventually have the capability to build a completely new A1 - let alone a P2 - you'd have been laughed all the way back to Carnforth.  Compared to that and some of the other restorations which have since been achieved, new frame sections for an A4 start to look less of a mountain to climb.   Still, it needs someone to dig very deep into their pockets and all credit to them for doing so.

I think the team who took on 71000 in the face of derision and saw the engine returned to mainline running made everyone realise what was possible.  The late Colin Rhodes had the vision and tenacity to achieve this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 07/02/2021 at 19:28, LNER4479 said:

Blue Peter meanwhile received a 'light overhaul' at Doncaster in 1969/1970 and received its fictitious LNER 532 livery and was subject of a rededication ceremony at which Val, John & Pete of the Children's TV programme of the same name presided! It was not - to my knowledge - passed fit to run a mainline railtour during this period although it did visit Tyseley for an Open Day event (1974?)

All now very much modern history. Anyone know any more about the 1970s history of the pair?

You are quite correct about the Tyseley visit. It was the 1974 Open Day event, which took place on the first weekend in October, Sat/Sun 5-6th. BP ran the 'shuttle' from the shed to a siding near the North Warwicks. line, (which I think has now gone ). It was hauling a variety of coaching stock, including a Thompson corridor coach in BR blue marshalled next to the tender.

I took several photographs as it was the first time I had seen an A2 pacific. However, my ticket to Australia was booked for the 16th November so I left the (colour) film and a fiver with my brother-in-law to get it developed and send on to me, they never appeared!

60532 has eluded me to this day on my return visits to the UK.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, 45568 said:

You are quite correct about the Tyseley visit. It was the 1974 Open Day event, which took place on the first weekend in October, Sat/Sun 5-6th. BP ran the 'shuttle' from the shed to a siding near the North Warwicks. line, (which I think has now gone ). It was hauling a variety of coaching stock, including a Thompson corridor coach in BR blue marshalled next to the tender.

I took several photographs as it was the first time I had seen an A2 pacific. However, my ticket to Australia was booked for the 16th November so I left the (colour) film and a fiver with my brother-in-law to get it developed and send on to me, they never appeared!

60532 has eluded me to this day on my return visits to the UK.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

It is hoped that 60532 will emerge from what has been a major overhaul this year, or early 2022.

Edited by Denbridge
Wrong year
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

I was lucky and 'copped' BP at Barrow Hill in 2013. If you can call seeing a loco during the preservation period 'copped'? Was only a short visit and I managed to get in  before the official opening time so no people to get in the photos! But its always difficult to photograph locos all pointing in towards a turntable! Good day though as I saw the C1, J17 and D11 as well as the A2.

Andrew

1997912984_DSC_5181s.jpg.696d40a91ea37b58f4c51d75d25d8071.jpg

324532826_DSC_5249s.jpg.707ed8378e2a780c6f5289cddf7a471a.jpg

• Like 15