Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of YT I have viewed a lot recently, usually when the other half’s not watching anything !!  There’s always something new railway related to watch, the other night I watched British Steam Rail Disasters, very fascinating if a little grim but all footage was by the professional news teams of the day.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andy,

Laying track on the floor is how I started (as a five year old). Originally, this was Hornby post-War tinplate, until, in 1952, I 'graduated' to Tri-ang OO. However, it wasn't too long before my dad made a 6' x 4' board for my brother and me to fix the track down on. Yes, for most of the time the board was still laid on the floor (young limbs don't suffer), and I'd be about eleven before the train set went around the walls of our spare room (Victorian houses tended to have such a 'luxury') supported by legs. This framework lasted a long time - long enough for the Tri-ang track to be replaced by Peco Streamline, and I thought myself then to be a 'scale' modeller (how deluded!). 

I don't have the slightest problem with folk running what they like, how they like. Where I am a bit 'twitchy' is where some folk then become 'celebrities', with potentially a fair bit of influence in the hobby, when what they're showing is clearly bad practice. By all means, point out that a model might be badly assembled (it doesn't matter how 'accurate' it might be at source, if it's badly put together it's no good), but please don't try to show its running capabilities by putting on to track resting on carpet. In no time at all, it'll be full of dust and fibres, rendering its performance dodgy at least. 

I think that's why I'm 'uncomfortable' with Sam's presentations. He's enthusiastic, speaks well (though, commonly, he doesn't know when to use 'fewer' instead of 'less') and his observations will be of use to many, I'm sure. But the minute we see the things running 'on the floor', I find credibility disappears. 

Right from my first learning times in railway modelling, all the advice (for the first-time-starters) was lay your track on a board of some kind. Cyril Freezer seemed to like 'Sundeala'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I looked at one of his videos on Youtube once for about a minute. That was enough for me to realise that he is in a different part of the hobby to me.

One cannot help but wonder how many people have done the same thing since he was mentioned and increased his activity.

He has been around for a number of years now and followed the same approach regardless of the criticism which has been in many different forums and groups.

So, he either is not aware of the adverse comments and is following his preferred approach - or he is aware and knows that it polarises people and that it also generates traffic for him.

I am inclined towards the latter myself.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Tony, Ive spoken to you several times at shows regarding pickups and your technique of cutting part of the leaf spring away and the use of nickel wire.

I studied your V2 shot and this week I’ve fitted your style of pickup to 3 of my locos and I am very happy with them. These are all recent builds but next time I will cut the leaf spring part away first.

All are EM gauge solid Comet chassis with Markits wheels Portescaps and Bachmann bodies filled with lead. BR Standard 5, Standard 4 mogul and Crab. The front drivers on the crab are on the top.

I obtained the bodies and complete tenders as spares and as these will Be DCC and I want to retain the tender sockets and DCC gubbins in the tender as standard I just need to obtain some spare male connectors for the locos now.

Thanks for the inspiration.

A6187D28-05A5-44E8-B113-DD493B42FE6A.png.90d5886fdc75467e3341ce769fcde359.png

DF1081B8-EA64-4630-B4E3-DB571F702248.jpeg.a8fdcae53715db94651a93a4041417b7.jpeg

Very neat work Michael,

I'm delighted I was able to help.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Craigw said:

I looked at one of his videos on Youtube once for about a minute. That was enough for me to realise that he is in a different part of the hobby to me.

One cannot help but wonder how many people have done the same thing since he was mentioned and increased his activity.

He has been around for a number of years now and followed the same approach regardless of the criticism which has been in many different forums and groups.

So, he either is not aware of the adverse comments and is following his preferred approach - or he is aware and knows that it polarises people and that it also generates traffic for him.

I am inclined towards the latter myself.

Regards,

Craig W

"I looked at one of his videos on Youtube once for about a minute. That was enough for me to realise that he is in a different part of the hobby to me."

But that is exactly the point.  We are becoming exercised by this individual in the same way as the Olympic Athletics committee becomes concerned about the promotion of a fun run run in Pierce's Park.  Or rather they have more sense.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Leander said:

As far as I'm I'm aware it was conveyed in covered hopper wagons, 'Covhops' as made by Bachman. These two photos shoe Black 5s in charge of such trains in the mid 1960s. Both photos are by Arthur Kimber and have appeared on RMWeb previously. 45081 is hauling a 'self weighing tender'.

617319679_45081ArnsideCovhops.jpg.2dd60eec8ee115b96e899a94eeea4e40.jpg

I thought that Black 5 had a WD tender behind it at first. Any other shots of this loco with the tender? Thanks.

Edited by SD85

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SD85 said:

One of the Merchant Navy class hauled a self weighing tender for a while. I'm intrigued as to the meaning of the term. Why does the tender need to be self weighing?

Thanks.

Unless I am muddling things up in my memory bank I think it was part of a test programme to accurately measure and evaluate the tonnage of coal used by certain locomotives. Memory is hazy, possibly part of the 1948 trials initially.  A definitive answer from another reader would useful to know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've long held the view that a real expert is someone who knows how much he or she doesn't know.

As in: ‘the more you know, the more you realise you don’t know’.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

As in: ‘the more you know, the more you realise you don’t know’.

Which, in railway publishing, can induce paralysis. There are potential authors who are holding out for that bit of information they know is missing and as a consequence can't bring themselves to put what they already know into print - in the worst case the knowledge goes with them to the grave.

Publish and be damned - or at least, be corrected. There's nothing like publishing an incorrect statement to tease out the truth!

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Which, in railway publishing, can induce paralysis. There are potential authors who are holding out for that bit of information they know is missing and as a consequence can't bring themselves to put what they already know into print - in the worst case the knowledge goes with them to the grave.

Publish and be damned - or at least, be corrected. There's nothing like publishing an incorrect statement to tease out the truth!

Good morning Stephen,

I completely agree. The same is so in building models. I search for the conclusive photograph to ensure accuracy, but often it doesn't appear. Until a picture of the model is published, then it does! Only to reveal I've got some detail wrong...............

In every prototype article/book/bookazine I've written, there's always something more I should add to a caption. The information needed for which appears the moment anything is published. I'm staggered at some folk's knowledge and understanding. When I was taking pictures of our railways in the '60s, '70s and '80s (I gave up in the '90s), I was less than diligent in my note-taking, particularly of locos' identities. With most BR steam locos, this was not a problem; one just read the front numberplate. However, many diesels and electrics were anonymous from the front as they approached. 

I once gave a talk to the Deltic Preservation Society, in Derby, illustrating it with many of my slides taken of these peerless locomotives. Many were three quarter front views, and in many I'd forgotten the loco's identity. Yes, a small 'plate suggested a racehorse, but too vague. I left in awe! Some of these guys new each loco by a dent in the nose, or some paint scuffed off! It would have been great having them on hand as I wrote captions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, SD85 said:

One of the Merchant Navy class hauled a self weighing tender for a while. I'm intrigued as to the meaning of the term. Why does the tender need to be self weighing?

Thanks.

Though I stand to be corrected (and should be if I've got this wrong), the self-weighing tender accurately recorded how much coal was on board. I assume the bunker itself was sprung in some way, and there was a measuring device somewhere on the tender. 

It was useful in accurately measuring how much coal a loco had used, and, by implication (or inference?) how efficient it was. Without one, a tender would have to be weighed empty of coal. It would then be filled with coal and weighed again. After a run, it would be weighed again and the results observed. I assume water consumption was also measured in the same way. It would need a weigh-house to do this, something usually located in major works. 

There was a self-weighing tender made for the B1s. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There were drawings of the type paired with LMR locos in an old issue of Railway Modeller. ISTR the notes mentioned there were three or four of them.

PDK have made a kit for the Merchant Navy one. The prototype was eventually rebuilt into conventional form, becoming effectively a longer version of the BR 5250g rebody type.

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I agree ... although there is the danger of confusing an expert with a perfectionist.

John's point earlier (about being aware of what you don't know) is particularly relevant in professional safety / engineering work, where people's lives are at stake. In that situation, you should never 'hedge your bets' where something is high risk; rather defer to someone who knows more about it than you do.

Or to put it another way: 'a guy gotta know his limits'

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have a fear that we in society confuse expert with someone who is knowledgeable, or has mastered a trade, craft or physical skill. All those who I have considered experts in their chosen field are people who have wanted to learn more and widen their knowledge and skills.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

I have a fear that we in society confuse expert with someone who is knowledgeable, or has mastered a trade, craft or physical skill. All those who I have considered experts in their chosen field are people who have wanted to learn more and widen their knowledge and skills.

I thought that I had posted this on Wright Writes, as there are many real experts on the subject on this blog, but found that it had been placed in Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding with no responses so far. I hope it's OK to post it again here, as this was where it was intended  to reach those who would be knowledgeable on the subject?

"This is a request for someone, who will need to be a real "expert" on the prototype & ideally also on building the Perseverance 4mm scale GCR clerestory full brake kit. It will make a change from "Sam's Trains" videos on YouTube!

Not being the best, or anywhere near the best builder of brass kits, though I did build a goods van reasonably successfully on an HMRS course, I gave the Perseverance kit of a GCR clerestory full brake to a friend, who is a very good modeller, to build. He is very frustrated with this kit especially as there is no photo or drawing with the kit.

I think that I remember someone on this blog writing about these kits, but having searched RMweb failed to find any useful information.

I did find some information by Steve Banks on the web & reference to an article he wrote for BRM in 1988 & have bought a copy of that edition on eBay, but would be very grateful if the  GCR experts, who seem to be numerous on Wright Writes, could produce or indicate where we might find a photo & drawing of this coach & any experience they had building the Perseverance kit of it."

William

I believe there are errors in the dimensions of the Perseverence kits for the GC panelled stock, affecting side height and ride height. Some drawings for this sort of stock are available in the GCRS on-line archive. The mere basics are drawn in Vol 2 (or is it Vol 3?) of Dow's "Great Central" and a small, but useable, fully dimensioned drawing of one of the related suburban vehicles appears in David Jackson's "J G Robinson, a Lifetime's Work".

Cutting down of certain parts may be required in order to produce a scale model...

THE book on MS&LR / GCR carriages is in the pipeline, for those who prefer to wait.

Edited by gr.king
Additional info
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, ecgtheow said:

I thought that I had posted this on Wright Writes, as there are many real experts on the subject on this blog, but found that it had been placed in Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding with no responses so far. I hope it's OK to post it again here, as this was where it was intended  to reach those who would be knowledgeable on the subject?

"This is a request for someone, who will need to be a real "expert" on the prototype & ideally also on building the Perseverance 4mm scale GCR clerestory full brake kit. It will make a change from "Sam's Trains" videos on YouTube!

Not being the best, or anywhere near the best builder of brass kits, though I did build a goods van reasonably successfully on an HMRS course, I gave the Perseverance kit of a GCR clerestory full brake to a friend, who is a very good modeller, to build. He is very frustrated with this kit especially as there is no photo or drawing with the kit.

I think that I remember someone on this blog writing about these kits, but having searched RMweb failed to find any useful information.

I did find some information by Steve Banks on the web & reference to an article he wrote for BRM in 1988 & have bought a copy of that edition on eBay, but would be very grateful if the  GCR experts, who seem to be numerous on Wright Writes, could produce or indicate where we might find a photo & drawing of this coach & any experience they had building the Perseverance kit of it."

William

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48429.0

Will take you to images of a preserved but unrestored carriage based at Ruddington.

There is a nice photo in Dow's trilogy as well, volume 3 P146.

As Graeme says, there are some errors in the kit and Steve Banks has details of how to improve the end profile on his website. I recall somebody telling me that the clerestory was too wide but I can't recall the details.

They do ride a bit high too and I cheated by putting 12mm wheels in the only one I ever completed. Malcolm Crawley built a couple and took some off the top of the bogies and added a new top "lip", then adjusted the bogie mountings to make them sit a bit lower.

They are, as the late great Roy Jackson would have said, better then the ones we haven't got but they amount of work required to get them really accurate is considerable.

I attach a photo, a compressed version of one of Tony Wright's showing Malcolm's two carriages and his scratchbuilt GCR 4-4-2T at work on Tickhill and Wadworth.

C13.JPG.aa9dc1f00ca99a79d2618edb2dddde54.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3