Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's good to see, given some of the flak that has been directed at the manufacturer.

I can only report as I find, John,

Andy York has done the 'critical' assessment for BRM. The reason it came to me was to give it a thorough road test on Little Bytham. As an aside, LB is becoming quite a test track these days. Bachmann folk pop over regularly (or did), I get to try Hornby's latest and also Heljan's , and now KR's GT3. 

I took the moving footage of it yesterday which will go to be edited tomorrow (I don't know how to), in readiness for its appearance on BRM digital. I put it on the 'Flying Scotsman' 12-car rake, which is ten modified Bachmann Mk.1s and two brass kit-builds - a reasonable test, and far more than the prototype seemed to haul on its tests. 

With it being DCC-fitted (and I only have analogue), after applying power, the loco sat for about 40 seconds as the whining increased until it moved off. There was a little slipping at first (expected?), but, once it found its feet, it was away, with even-acceleration. It then proceeded to bowl around quite happily; not fast - about 60 mph tops I'd say, and much slower than the train's normal kit-built Pacific, but adequate.  

I was unaware of the flak directed at the manufacturer (I've never heard of him/her/them), but from what I saw, the end product looks good and works well. 

1718716777_GT301studio.jpg.bbbe68844a2dbca3d63bd75f96e226eb.jpg

649848134_GT303onlayout.jpg.2045517dd7ed42a5c1096a89e47f9530.jpg

What does it cost? 

What was the nature of the flak? The marketing? The production run? From what I've seen, it won't be criticised on quality. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

What does it cost? 

What was the nature of the flak? The marketing? The production run? From what I've seen, it won't be criticised on quality. 

If you need to know, start here:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

If you need to know, start here:

Thanks John,

I suppose I should look further on RMweb than just a few threads (to be fair, Wright writes flies along so fast that most of my RMweb time is spent asking and answering questions on that).

Because I was involved with the models' development, I have dipped into the Hornby A2/2 thread, where there appear to be a few 'complaints' about quality control issues. Without being defensive, I had (and have) nothing to do with that. I was brought in at the development stage to consider the models' accuracy with regard to specific details. In this respect, I think Hornby has produced arguably the 'most-accurate' RTR steam-outline loco ever, especially in the case of 60505. It can only represent that particular A2/2 of the six; renumbering/renaming will render it inaccurate.

It seems a shame that there are some problems in the assembly of these models. As previously mentioned, I could only comment on the example I had to assess/test, where the assembly was perfect.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

1718716777_GT301studio.jpg.bbbe68844a2dbca3d63bd75f96e226eb.jpg

My personal view is that this was largely about timing - if the DJM issues had not just happened then many would probably have been happy with what amounted to 'crowd-funding', but in the circumstances I am perhaps pleasantly surprised that this managed to get off the ground.

The similarities were strong, as for example, KR started to announce subsequent models without having delivered the first one, and so it must be a great relief to those that 'had faith' and paid up front, that this one has come right.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Americas GT3 !!!! (though this was coal fired), the front even looks similar to GT3. - Several Railroads tried coal fired steam turbine locos around and just after WW2, all were huge monsters, some more successful than others but none lasted very long, The Diesel Electric eventually usurped all.

https://www.american-rails.com/turb.html

WW2 & the years after brought about huge technology changes, gas turbines, jet engines, nuclear power, rapid advances in electronics etc so it was no surprise that the USA tried these new technologies on their railroads. A nuclear powered locomotive was designed - but as far as I know was not built (thankfully).

The late 1940's & 50's were rip-roaring years !!

image.png.ed6622c0999516be48a6586d9702bbd3.png

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
typos
  • Like 11

Plea for help: Last night I was happily drilling a whitemetal footplate so that cab handrails could be run through it from underneath, later in assembly. Got to the final hole and the drill bit sheared off, filling the hole, with not enough protruding to get any purchase with pliers etc.

I did attack the protruding bit of bit:unsure: with a file, whilst turning the air blue, but stopped once it occurred to me that some on here might have faced the same situation and have a solution. It's a new one on me. Any ideas or advice very gratefully received!

IMG_20210214_1110298~2.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks John,

I suppose I should look further on RMweb than just a few threads (to be fair, Wright writes flies along so fast that most of my RMweb time is spent asking and answering questions on that).

Because I was involved with the models' development, I have dipped into the Hornby A2/2 thread, where there appear to be a few 'complaints' about quality control issues. Without being defensive, I had (and have) nothing to do with that. I was brought in at the development stage to consider the models' accuracy with regard to specific details. In this respect, I think Hornby has produced arguably the 'most-accurate' RTR steam-outline loco ever, especially in the case of 60505. It can only represent that particular A2/2 of the six; renumbering/renaming will render it inaccurate.

It seems a shame that there are some problems in the assembly of these models. As previously mentioned, I could only comment on the example I had to assess/test, where the assembly was perfect.

Regards,

Tony. 

Good afternoon Tony,

I was just wondering if you'd had access to the A2/3 in the way you did for the A2/2. There seems absence of news other than preproduction photos from some time back.

Edited by davidw
Clarity

6 minutes ago, davidw said:

Good afternoon Tony,

I was just wondering if you'd had access to the A2/3 in the way you did for the A2/2. There seems absence of news other than preproduction photos from some time back.

Good afternoon David,

Not as yet, though Simon Kohler is sending me SUN CASTLE for assessment before long. 

Obviously, this will be the first one I've seen 'in the flesh', but if the A2/2 I had to test is anything to go by, it should be a good 'un'.

As soon as it arrives, I'll take its picture(s) and comment on here.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 2

The next loco build (it's been a month since I tackled one!).

1605006409_CountyTank01.jpg.3ebb95fc4cdfd72d42365c7da1497fb7.jpg

An Alan Gibson GWR 'County' tank in OO. I'm building it for a customer of Geoff Haynes.

It's obviously designed for Gibson's wheels, because if using Romfords/Markits drivers (as I am) the OO spacers provided are too wide (it's suggested the boss at the back of the Romford be filed off - which will narrow the back-to-back and render the drivers useless). 

I've thus used Comet OO spacers, which give plenty of clearance. Filing down the Gibson spacers (which I did on the rear one) just seemed to take far too long. 

The holes in the frames to take plunger pick-ups can be seen. It'll surprise no one to learn that they won't be used. 

The Romford drivers are in place to check that the frames are sweet and true (after being jig-assembled). They can be put on and taken off innumerable times, without loss of function or quartering. Something impossible with friction-fit drivers.  

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon David,

Not as yet, though Simon Kohler is sending me SUN CASTLE for assessment before long. 

Obviously, this will be the first one I've seen 'in the flesh', but if the A2/2 I had to test is anything to go by, it should be a good 'un'.

As soon as it arrives, I'll take its picture(s) and comment on here.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for all your effort.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, davidw said:

Thanks for all your effort.

Thanks David,

Very little effort is really required. 

What could be more interesting in model railways right now? It's a privilege to be among the first to see these much-anticipated Thompson Pacific models.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks David,

Very little effort is really required. 

What could be more interesting in model railways right now? It's a privilege to be among the first to see these much-anticipated Thompson Pacific models.

Regards,

Tony. 

Your input into the details of the A2s has been much appreciated by many, Tony.

On the subject of detail, details, details, did you know that 60505 'Thane of Fife' went to her grave with the late crest with the Lion incorrectly reversed on the fireman's side, unless I mis-read Yeadons LNER Vol.3 p.82.

For what it's worth 60501 and the other 5 A2/2s were initially changed post-1957 to the late crest, two were correct, four were 'tidied up' on one side to forward-face but only two of these were corrected. 

It made me laugh because of recent discussion of the art and philosophy of details...   these RTR models really are astounding.

Is it 'late crest'  and 'early emblem' ? I always become confused!  Nomenclature and heraldry are not my forte!

Edited by robmcg
typos, addition.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, robmcg said:

On the subject of detail, details, details, did you know that60505 'Thane of Fife' went to her grave with the late emblem with the Lion incorrectly reversed on the fireman's side, unless I mis-read Yeadons LNER VOL.3 P82.

It made me laugh because of recent discussion of the art and philosophy of details...   these RTR models really are astounding.

Thanks Rob,

I'll have to consult photographs, but I imagine that 60505 (and 60503) retained the incorrect right-facing lion on the RH side of the tender, since they were both withdrawn in 1959 (they were the first LNER Pacifics to be withdrawn, other than the Raven A2s - not a distinguished 'first'). The other four lasted a year or two later; long enough to have the device altered to the correct left-facing lion on both sides of the tender. It was an incredible example of ignorance of the tenets of heraldry by BR, and the College swiftly asked for it to be rectified. All the surviving B17s went to the end in 'disgrace' in this regard.

I assume Hornby has 60505 with the altered (correct) device? A mistake if so, but hardly catastrophic. 

I haven't checked, but does 60501 have the joggled vacuum ejector pipe? If not, it should have. 

I propose to acquire a Hornby 60501 and change it into 60502. If the ejector pipe is straight on 60501 then (ironically) so much the better for the conversion. As well as renumbering/renaming, I'll have to extend the smokebox handrails so that they clip to the front of the smokebox ring. The cab turn-ins and beaded tender make it very difficult to make 60506, and 60505's unique (for the class) Thompson boiler and extended sandbox filler supports also militate against making 60506 from that source.

I imagine in time Hornby will offer both 60502 and 60506, but it will require major retooling to make 60503 and 60504. Who knows? 

I'm all right Jack! I've made my three A2/2s (60501/4/6) donkey's years ago. Totting it up, I must have made a couple of dozen of the things for customers. No need any more.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This beauty arrived on Monday from TMC who supplied and weathered it for me. It is superb. 

I will add real coal, lamps and a crew and fit the brake rod assembly which is supplied with the loco. 

This is actually the first RTR loco I have bought where one of the names I wanted was one of those manufactured. 

I did not photograph on my layout because its in the garage and its freezing tonight.

1575817419_ThaneofFife.JPG.319970e4a98346db18abd34160055abf.JPG

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

This beauty arrived on Monday from TMC who supplied and weathered it for me. It is superb. 

I will add real coal, lamps and a crew and fit the brake rod assembly which is supplied with the loco. 

This is actually the first RTR loco I have bought where one of the names I wanted was one of those manufactured. 

I did not photograph on my layout because its in the garage and its freezing tonight.

1575817419_ThaneofFife.JPG.319970e4a98346db18abd34160055abf.JPG

Glad you like it Archie,

The weathering really makes the BR green look more 'realistic'. 

I note the lipped chimney. This makes the loco correct for the last six months or so of its life, in 1959. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've made my three A2/2s (60501/4/6) donkey's years ago. Totting it up, I must have made a couple of dozen of the things for customers. No need any more.

You'll just have to content yourself making GWR 'County' Tanks, Tony ... or is that more than flesh and blood can stand?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

44 minutes ago, robmcg said:

On the subject of detail, details, details, did you know that 60505 'Thane of Fife' went to her grave with the late crest with the Lion incorrectly reversed on the fireman's side, unless I mis-read Yeadons LNER Vol.3 p.82.

For what it's worth 60501 and the other 5 A2/2s were initially changed post-1957 to the late crest, two were correct, four were 'tidied up' on one side to forward-face but only two of these were corrected. 

Is it 'late crest'  and 'early emblem' ? I always become confused!  Nomenclature and heraldry are not my forte!

Me again Rob,

I've just looked at a picture of Hornby's 60501 and it's got a straight vacuum ejector pipe.

It should be joggled at the front, like this................

320186738_COCKOTHENORTHpanningsmoke.jpg.7e1cc4fcc7fa368090d91c456661799c.jpg

Digital smoke not up to your standards, but a sense of speed?

This is the prototype for DJH's kit. 

1642364353_17A22s60501DJH60504Crownline.jpg.7e5d30ab3bcedd8667e22a3ced2a1fdc.jpg

It's also evident here as she passes a Crownline A2/2. For a time, 60504 had a joggled ejector pipe, but bent the opposite way! 

66331574_18A2260506DJH.jpg.2975e5f8b2f15931cb67be06b6e38c72.jpg

And the third of my own A2/2 builds; 60506 from a production DJH kit. Ian Rathbone painted all three.

These images will have been seen before, but the A2/2s are very topical right now. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

You'll just have to content yourself making GWR 'County' Tanks, Tony ... or is that more than flesh and blood can stand?

Don't forget, I've got a 'Clan' to rebuild in due course......................... That's more like it, Graham. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1