Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Regarding the representation of hinges on etched brass coaches, I use scrap etch. I just use the stuff around the edges of a fret, picking the right width. I then just solder them in from the back, snipping off the excess outside to length (longer at the bottom).

399327141_ThompsonKitchenCar.jpg.230b2ccec0f340d43d8ef6c5afdba420.jpg

No doubt seen before, but not in this context. 

This Thompson RK has Southern Pride sides on top of a much-modified (old) Bachmann donor, with white metal HD bogies. 

909088065_RFandRTO.jpg.ad2b14a268b012fa0b941f2303928455.jpg

This time a pair of Hornby/Trice catering cars.

I must admit to not fixing hinges on some Comet coach kits I've built, and certainly not on the BSL aluminium-sided Thompsons I built over 40 years ago. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

With the two Mousa sided having hinges and even the Airfix based stuff the BTK would look out of place without them.

It is my first Comet kit.

I do think the MJT Dart bogies are nicer castings than Comet.

I wonder if anyone can help, please?

I've just repaired a donated old Bachmann B1 (split chassis), and (amazingly!) got it to work very well (I glued the axles back together in their muffs and adjusted the quartering). 

My intention is to sell it for CRUK, but it has no tender. Does anyone out there have a spare Bachmann/Replica B1 tender, in lined BR black (with either BR device), please? 

I've tried phoning Replica but continue to get an engaged tone.

Please PM me if you can help. I'll pay for the tender, of course.

Thanks in anticipation. 

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I've just repaired a donated old Bachmann B1 (split chassis), and (amazingly!) got it to work very well (I glued the axles back together in their muffs and adjusted the quartering). 

My intention is to sell it for CRUK, but it has no tender. Does anyone out there have a spare Bachmann/Replica B1 tender, in lined BR black (with either BR device), please? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

I also have one spare, so PM sent...

40 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Blimey - Tony will be able to model a tender sludge carrier train at this rate ...

I will Graham,

Thanks to the generosity of folk. 

Now, can you help me some more, please? Anyone? 

48641.jpg.e45a3cfbf9525aa25662280d4ba18ecf.jpg

Somewhere on the S&C is all that's noted on this print. But where? Which station? 

I'd say it's the mid-'50s, but other than that....................

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Not Settle & Carlisle - those gables are wrong.

Agreed. Just had a flick through 'Rails in the Fells' and there is nothing like it. According to BR database 48641 was a long time Stourton engine so a clue there. Snowplough fitted as well. Peak district?

That's me finished, I'm not a Midland man...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm fairly sure it is Midland, by the lamps. I'm also fairly sure it's not anywhere west and north of Leeds including branches. The Peak District would be a bit out of the way for a Stourton engine on an empty mineral train. It has a bit of a secondary line feel to it. At a pinch I would say the building is a bit later than the S&C design (which wasn't confined to the S&C but used rather widely in the late 1860s - early 1870s). So we might be looking for a line or station opened in the late 70s/early 80s? I'll be interest to know where!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm fairly sure it is Midland, by the lamps. I'm also fairly sure it's not anywhere west and north of Leeds including branches. The Peak District would be a bit out of the way for a Stourton engine on an empty mineral train. It has a bit of a secondary line feel to it. At a pinch I would say the building is a bit later than the S&C design (which wasn't confined to the S&C but used rather widely in the late 1860s - early 1870s). So we might be looking for a line or station opened in the late 70s/early 80s? I'll be interest to know where!

Thanks Stephen,

The diagonal fencing suggests Midland as well. But where?

Regards,

Tony. 

A bit more done on the LRM J3.......................

1146828856_J306.jpg.e4726f35ff8e88426105f77205c645c3.jpg

I've been busy with non-railway modelling things today, so it's only been forming/fitting the splashers so far (with still some cleaning up to do).

The boiler is just temporarily in place to check the fit; which is fine..................

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Quite right.  It's Killamarsh West on the Old Road.  Although the line and the original station date from the 1840s this station was closed then re-opened and the station shown dates from 1873.  The only bit I disagree with is that a Stourton engine wouldn't make it to the Peaks.  LM freight locos got borrowed a lot so I would have expected to see the odd one in Manchester and certainly at Gowhole or Rowsley.

Simon

Edited by 65179
detail added at the same time as Compound2632's post below
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks in anticipation. 

Hi Tony

I spoke to Gareth at Replica Railways this afternoon, to enquire if they had any of their B1 tenders available?

Unfortunately they stopped making the B1 many years ago, Gareth did say he may be able to obtain a B1 tender body only without the chassis if that would be of any help to you.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

11 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Quite right.  It's Killamarsh West on the Old Road.

Aha. Not a success at the first attempt - closed by the North Midland in 1843. The Midland tried again, reopening in 1873, which would fit with the twin-gabled building, though slightly earlier than my guess.

• Like 1