Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Because you can't have too many 8Fs  here's Killamarsh a few years earlier (1938) from a different angle (Rail-Online)

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p77103013/h93249e66

Ha - timber buildings. Just as well given the subsidence evident here, that bedevilled the North Midland line. Undermined by its own success.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Hi
Continuing the coach building theme/questions, when it comes to painting, do you prime the aluminium roofs in the same way as the brass?  I'd assume so but would welcome advice!

Thanks

David

Good evening David,

Halfords rattle can acrylic red oxide primer for the sides and grey primer for the roofs as a rule, though I have used red on top. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I spoke to Gareth at Replica Railways this afternoon, to enquire if they had any of their B1 tenders available?

Unfortunately they stopped making the B1 many years ago, Gareth did say he may be able to obtain a B1 tender body only without the chassis if that would be of any help to you.

Regards

David

Thanks David,

Such is the altruism of correspondents on this thread, I've been offered three B1 tenders already, all FOC. 

Many thanks Gordon, Tom and Graham....................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks David,

Such is the altruism of correspondents on this thread, I've been offered three B1 tenders already, all FOC. 

Many thanks Gordon, Tom and Graham....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Now he has to build two more locomotives .......

Hat, coat, door,  Bill

• Funny 7

13 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Funny someone mentioned sludge trains.  I have several spare B1 tenders and was thinking about converting a couple.  However, pictures of these much loved vehicles are sadly lacking.

I doubt that B1 tenders would have been used as sludge carriers because, by the time they became available following withdrawal of their locos the purpose for having them would have gone also.

Most of the ones I  have seen photos of were pre-grouping tenders, GN ones around Grantham and Colwick.

A number of B1 or possibly V2(?) tenders did get converted into snowploughs.

Edit: see Clive's post above, he beat me to it by a few seconds

Edited by great central
Missing word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Or a snow plough.

002a.jpg.51df8d483ca99f49454cdbf837922e50.jpg

004a.jpg.4f4e2f816303f3512fc776bff3e66dc0.jpg

Or for battery storage/electricity supply.

Page 35, bottom image in my Into The Blue, Irwell Press, 2014. A pair of V2/O2/K3 tenders at Tinsley. One has 'DANGER high voltage current KEEP AWAY' painted on its side. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Page 35, bottom image in my Into The Blue, Irwell Press, 2014. A pair of V2/O2/K3 tenders at Tinsley. One has 'DANGER high voltage current KEEP AWAY' painted on its side. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Commonly known as load banks, I believe; used for testing diesel electric locos, presumably after overhaul.

I'm guessing here; but perhaps they had the equivalent of large electric kettle elements, with which to dissipate the generated electrical energy as heat, into the tender tank full of water?

.... or not?!? :o

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

They may have been a salt bath. Two electrodes from a generator into the electrolyte to see how many amps the generator would make under load.  They are sometimes used to make a showman’s road locomotive chuff at traction engine rallies. 

Tim

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Commonly known as load banks, I believe; used for testing diesel electric locos, presumably after overhaul.

I'm guessing here; but perhaps they had the equivalent of large electric kettle elements, with which to dissipate the generated electrical energy as heat, into the tender tank full of water?

.... or not?!? :o

John Isherwood.

Hello Tony and John

John is correct. Tinsley, and Gateshead both had ex LNER group standard tenders for load banks. You cannot test the output of a electric generator without applying an electric load. The tenders as far as I know were full of just water (I may be wrong) for keeping the large resistors cool which were hung in the water. The loco would be placed next to the load bank and wired up. The output from the generator would be recorded as each additional resistor was added to its electrical load, simulating the work the traction motors would have to do hauling a train.

Other locations had purpose built huts with a tank to cool the resistors.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

You just had big plates which could be raised and lowered into the liquid. It was a very dilute solution of something or other, not just pure water. The resistance varied in proportion to the area of plate immersed. The process was limited because it couldn’t take a full load, and as has been said, cooling was a problem, so you could just do a quick check on limited load.

There were also resistance banks mounted on road trailers, with powered fan cooling, that could be towed round depots. These were more portable, but had similar limitations. Usually if you were fairly confident there wouldn’t be a major failure, the depots preferred to do test trips with an empty train.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Not only ex loco tenders were used for this purpose. I remember attending the 1984 Doncaster Works open day at which 37.044 was hooked up to a mobile load bank. Numbered as internal user 041620 (ex Dia 1/208 12T Vent Van B770697), the vehicle was one of two (the other being 041619) containing two banks of load resistors which could be configured to give up to 15 different load settings. No liquid coolant was used with waste heat simply venting through hatches in the roof.

https://departmentals.com/photo/041620

As I recall staff had coupled up some external panel meters which allowed visitors to observe voltage / current readings with 37.044 under power.

• Informative/Useful 3

This may be of interest Springs Branch around 1966/7. The new diesel depot is being built. The 8F has an interesting number plate, curly numbers, the only loco this late on with this style of number plate I seem to have a photo of. At least she still has one, unlike the Black 5 next to her.

2013-01-09-21-57-03.jpg.da414c529188dbe932a2d5288a9c7118.jpg

Black 8's, common as muck round here back then, but sadly missed now.

Brit15

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Geoff  Haynes’s 7mm scale 8F is very impressive, but if I might be a bit picky, the oil/muck on the slidebars would only rub off where the slippers of the cross head rub, not over the whole surface. 

Tim

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Geoff  Haynes’s 7mm scale 8F is very impressive, but if I might be a bit picky, the oil/muck on the slidebars would only rub off where the slippers of the cross head rub, not over the whole surface. 

Tim

As on mine, Tim?

Regards,

Tony.