Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

This should be of interest to WW readers.  A venue worth visiting when we are allowed to move around again.  I assume that Green Arrow, because of its name, was never painted in black.  It looks superb in LNER livery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-56183067

Green Arrow would have received black in the war years  and was in lined mixed traffic black until the mid late 50s

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Gee wiz you don’t muck around, she looks terrific. I’m glad it’s gone somewhere wanted, I could have finished it off but I’m concentrating on builds that aren’t RTR. Which I think is smart, exploit what the RTR market has to offer and kit build the rest. 

I'm glad you like it Jesse,

Once I get my teeth into a job, there's no time to muck around (though I frequently muck it up!).

I think the hobby is full of folk who are going to get on with something; one day. They procrastinate, dither and lack motivation, convincing themselves that the 'time isn't right'. If they're not careful, they'll go to their graves waiting for the right time. They also convince themselves that they don't have the skills and will probably muck things up. The result is instead of actually trying to make something, they're entirely reliant on RTR/RTP or on others to do their modelling for them. They are participants in the hobby (it has room for all), but I wonder how fulfilled they really are............ They possess things rather than create them. 

If I may use you as an example of the antithesis of this type.............. When I first met you, you were unsure of how to proceed with your model-making. However, you quickly got going (more due to your own motivation than anything I or others suggested), got stuck in, didn't muck around, accepted constructive criticism, and now your commendable efforts speak for themselves. 

Rather a success story, I'd say.

And, thanks once more for giving me the V2. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Do Nu-Cast V2s (made-up or still as kits) appear often on eBay?  

Yes, indeed they do and quite regularly.

I recently picked one up for yet another lockdown project to do the unique 60813 - see here!

975219903_IMGP1085(2).JPG.c2bd391d76adce5ab11eadd37047fd8d.JPG

Chas

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The old V2 given to me by Jesse Sim has now been 'finished'. 

1329569531_JesseSimV204.jpg.2058cf7f03b705c75cf78fee2f3ed888.jpg

The vivid green has long gone and I've now numbered/lined it; yes, I know the valances should be lined, but transfer lining fights all the way with this, and it was often scuffed off in service. Anyway, weathering is still to come. 

This loco is something of a paradox. It's certainly a V2 (and far superior to the much newer - though soon to be superseded - Bachmann offering), but the mechanism is arcane. Painting the visible parts of the Jepson motor (not the commutator, of course) will disguise it a little. However, a Comet set of frames (which include brakes) with a can motor/gearbox combo will be the eventual 'fix'. That said, this really goes like stink, and on a layout, at high speed?

Who originally built it, no one knows, though it's well-made. 

Shots in action on LB later....................... 

Tony,  I really like that oily steel look on the side rods. How did you achieve that please?

Regards, Roy.

1 hour ago, ScRSG said:

Yes, indeed they do and quite regularly.

I recently picked one up for yet another lockdown project to do the unique 60813 - see here!

975219903_IMGP1085(2).JPG.c2bd391d76adce5ab11eadd37047fd8d.JPG

Chas

Thanks Chas,

Was this loco already built, and you completed it? Or, was it an untouched kit? 

What a weird contraption that was on 60813. I assume it was successful in lifting steam? If so, why was it not perpetuated on any other member of the class? 

I like Nu-Cast V2s, having built well over a dozen (mainly in the past for customers). With the donation of Jesse's, that makes four on LB now.  

The oldest (now getting on for 40 years old) originally ran on Stoke Summit.........

1658221015_60905onUpexpress.jpg.3e128215fd392d96daa1741a3615f4e5.jpg

This was in the days when I not only built my locos but painted them as well.

801820063_Charwelton07V2onBournemouth-York.jpg.eb16d29bef778085ad58d6570ba098fd.jpg

It also saw regular service on Charwelton. 

And now sees use on Little Bytham................

1572336669_V260905Nu-Cast.jpg.0879c5c8bda2768a8650ed97da0470b9.jpg

524558923_pointrodding4060905.jpg.71f77cb9e76722bb6f5c639954ac8dc9.jpg

1725908450_Nu-CastV2.jpg.9bb030f36f592551b3daf982bd313d89.jpg

It came originally with a white metal lump for a chassis. Disliking this, I scratch-built one for it, using the Nu-Cast motion. 

Given my painting limitations, I think it's still 'adequate' as a layout loco. 

Some little time ago, I acquired a Nu-Cast V2 from the estate of the late Geoff Brewin. 

1730246873_Nu-CastV260943.jpg.7845c9ea0207236f836c6cae144002a4.jpg

1386975198_pointrodding5360943.jpg.b60eabfdaccc0feda8fb1a586575086d.jpg

Geoff had almost completed it, using (naturally) a Comet set of frames. I completed it, adding a DMR tender. 

Geoff Haynes then painted it for me.

358125193_Nu-CastV212.jpg.89b764765765801e640dcbc7f27b78c8.jpg

A couple of years ago I found an untouched Nu-Cast V2 in a box I'd long forgotten about, so I made it. It, too, had a white metal chassis, so I built a Comet one for it.

504741962_04V260982andParksidehoresebox.jpg.61a3fd864c8a8b5196818d381d5e241c.jpg

Geoff Haynes also painted this one for me.

About three years ago I bought a made-up Nu-cast V2 from a friend.

1058661963_BernMundyV2.jpg.bd9b21b1c4296d2b7df6c24499a08e65.jpg

It had an XO4-type motor which resembled a chain saw in its tone, so I fitted a more modern combination. Then sold it to another friend (I hope it still runs fine, Andy). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, ROY@34F said:

Tony,  I really like that oily steel look on the side rods. How did you achieve that please?

Regards, Roy.

Thanks Roy,

It's a mixture of matt grey/brown/black Humbrol enamels, mixed arbitrarily and applied with a small sable. Once dry, it's liberally oiled. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Clem said:

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted anything. About the start of November, I was becoming  increasely frustrated with modelling. I seemed to be suffering from diminishing returns. The more I tried to get stuck in, the less I achieved. So I taken three months off (with a couple of exceptions - repairs and mucking about with scenery) and in early November I thought I'll try something different. So I've taken up learning French!  I've got an O level in it but none of that stuck for more than a few weeks. Anyway, it's really quite a difficult language but I've been really enjoying it. The point is, it's given me the breathing space to develop the desire to get back into modelling again. So from just pottering around a bit and achieving very little, I've managed to do something that has made a bit of difference to the layout. Anyway, I've included a photograph and a couple of video clips of how it's beginning to shape up at the eastern end of the layout:

IMG_6173.JPG.7eb1cf5a9212303adb271df06d415f90.JPG

I've tried to capture the feel of the line I knew as a child when visiting my  grandparents at Kimberley. Lots of fields, paths, styles and railway! Still a long way to go but it's a start!

Au revoir mes amis, bonne journée!

Clem

It looks terrific Clem,

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Good to see you back Clem, I'd noticed that you were not around. I think life goes in cycles, and it's good to take a break sometimes. Then, you come back re-vitalised. The layout looks excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Best Regards

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Chas,

Was this loco already built, and you completed it? Or, was it an untouched kit? 

What a weird contraption that was on 60813. I assume it was successful in lifting steam? If so, why was it not perpetuated on any other member of the class? 

Tony,

It was an unbuilt kit which actually came with a set of the later brass frames but I had already purchased a set of Comet frames which I used, the valve gear was made from a combination of the two.

As regards the efficacy of the "smoke deflectors" and the Austerity type chimney, I have no idea and can only assume it was no worse than any other V2 and lasted until withdrawal.

Chas

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted anything. About the start of November, I was becoming  increasely frustrated with modelling. I seemed to be suffering from diminishing returns. The more I tried to get stuck in, the less I achieved. So I taken three months off (with a couple of exceptions - repairs and mucking about with scenery) and in early November I thought I'll try something different. So I've taken up learning French!  I've got an O level in it but none of that stuck for more than a few weeks. Anyway, it's really quite a difficult language but I've been really enjoying it. The point is, it's given me the breathing space to develop the desire to get back into modelling again. So from just pottering around a bit and achieving very little, I've managed to do something that has made a bit of difference to the layout. Anyway, I've included a photograph and a couple of video clips of how it's beginning to shape up at the eastern end of the layout:

I've tried to capture the feel of the line I knew as a child when visiting my  grandparents at Kimberley. Lots of fields, paths, styles and railway! Still a long way to go but it's a start!

Clem

Hi  Clem, I hate to be picky, given my total lack of modelling output for several years now, but can I just suggest perhaps that your (excellent) working signal seems to be rather awkwardly sited.

It appears as though it would be hidden from view to a driver until he came under the bridge, more likely it would be on the other side of the bridge probably with a sighting board. I understand that the constraints of your model have probably dictated it's position, so could either have a tall secondary arm which can be seen above the bridge or a gallows type signal as used at Nottingham Victoria which can be seen under the bridge.

It's also possible I've completely misunderstood and there's a banner repeater signal just the other side of the bridge!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

About three years ago I bought a made-up Nu-cast V2 from a friend.

1058661963_BernMundyV2.jpg.bd9b21b1c4296d2b7df6c24499a08e65.jpg

It had an XO4-type motor which resembled a chain saw in its tone, so I fitted a more modern combination. Then sold it to another friend (I hope it still runs fine, Andy). 

Regards,

Tony. 

It certainly does still run very well Tony.

60835.jpg.f478fde09546e6eeacaca789ae5e2821.jpg

It's VERY heavy and will pull anything. It is however a bit slow so tends to get the fast goods turns.

I also bought another NuCast V2 off you. This one is in a horrendous lime green livery and I think you couldn't wait to get rid of it - it was much cheaper than 60835!

4831.jpg.db5418977e7ebb1d94ee837b8c54a4f8.jpg

I don't think I normally procrastinate, but I have on this one as I can't work out how to convert it to DCC. It has a live frame motor as below. I could change this but it's very smooth and powerful. It pulls as well as 835 but at high speeds - up to a scale 200mph if one so desires. Does anyone know if I could get away with isolating the live brush with a disc of plasticard or similar?

IMG_3610.jpg.ebd8bd5cadeaad27098f1ce0b38f7a75.jpg

I also have three other Nucast V2s, all bought ready built off eBay for between £50 and £100.

4830 which I intend to keep in apple green for club big four theme nights.

4830.jpg.0b07bf902a8568cde561910d9c7b0977.jpg

60814 which is another lovely loco. Very powerful with a fairly quiet Portescap. All I did to this was renumber and add a few details.

60814.JPG.33b3252687de712ce55050009a278fc9.JPG

And finally 60869 which I had to get running as the valve gear and pick ups needed sorting out It has the white metal chassis and a 5 pole open frame motor but runs OK apart from an occasional tendency to re-jam its valve gear.

60869.jpg.8dc3a1ff2e9307da487de737b5cfeeb1.jpg

I also have three other V2s: a Jamieson/ Comet, a Bachmann / Comet and a pure Bachmann but as you were asking about Nucast versions, I'll spare you those for this evening!

Andy

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi,

Clem

Magnifique Monsieur Clem, tres brien.

I notice you have used the correct shade of green on the eves of your A2/7 rebuild of 605O4/7 Kitten off Colwickanoch.

I Love the working grass.

P.S The mystery of the missing farmer will keep me occupied for months. Very 50's Quatermass.

Edited by Headstock
add p.s.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

It certainly does still run very well Tony.

60835.jpg.f478fde09546e6eeacaca789ae5e2821.jpg

It's VERY heavy and will pull anything. It is however a bit slow so tends to get the fast goods turns.

I also bought another NuCast V2 off you. This one is in a horrendous lime green livery and I think you couldn't wait to get rid of it - it was much cheaper than 60835!

4831.jpg.db5418977e7ebb1d94ee837b8c54a4f8.jpg

I don't think I normally procrastinate, but I have on this one as I can't work out how to convert it to DCC. It has a live frame motor as below. I could change this but it's very smooth and powerful. It pulls as well as 835 but at high speeds - up to a scale 200mph if one so desires. Does anyone know if I could get away with isolating the live brush with a disc of plasticard or similar?

IMG_3610.jpg.ebd8bd5cadeaad27098f1ce0b38f7a75.jpg

I also have three other Nucast V2s, all bought ready built off eBay for between £50 and £100.

4830 which I intend to keep in apple green for club big four theme nights.

4830.jpg.0b07bf902a8568cde561910d9c7b0977.jpg

60814 which is another lovely loco. Very powerful with a fairly quiet Portescap. All I did to this was renumber and add a few details.

60814.JPG.33b3252687de712ce55050009a278fc9.JPG

And finally 60869 which I had to get running as the valve gear and pick ups needed sorting out It has the white metal chassis and a 5 pole open frame motor but runs OK apart from an occasional tendency to re-jam its valve gear.

60869.jpg.8dc3a1ff2e9307da487de737b5cfeeb1.jpg

I also have three other V2s: a Jamieson/ Comet, a Bachmann / Comet and a pure Bachmann but as you were asking about Nucast versions, I'll spare you those for this evening!

Andy

Good evening Andy,

I re-motored 60835 with exactly the same unit I used when I did a conversion for Gilbert Barnatt, after he'd bought a V2 off Tony Geary. It ran very smoothly, but, as with your 4831, it had a D13 (live) motor (I'd quite forgotten about your buying that one off me as well). Gilbert couldn't do the conversion himself and Tim Easter said it was beyond him, so I did it (at mates' rates of course). Gilbert should really have checked first. Of course, the V2 in question had run for ages on both Stoke Summit and Charwelton (neither being DCC!). I suppose because everything on Peterborough has to run slowly, the lack of speed doesn't matter. It's powerful, though.

You seem to like Nu-Cast V2s, and you've bagged a bargain or two.

I wonder how many have been built?

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andy,

I re-motored 60835 with exactly the same unit I used when I did a conversion for Gilbert Barnatt, after he'd bought a V2 off Tony Geary. It ran very smoothly, but, as with your 4831, it had a D13 (live) motor (I'd quite forgotten about your buying that one off me as well). Gilbert couldn't do the conversion himself and Tim Easter said it was beyond him, so I did it (at mates' rates of course). Gilbert should really have checked first. Of course, the V2 in question had run for ages on both Stoke Summit and Charwelton (neither being DCC!). I suppose because everything on Peterborough has to run slowly, the lack of speed doesn't matter. It's powerful, though.

You seem to like Nu-Cast V2s, and you've bagged a bargain or two.

I wonder how many have been built?

Regards,

Tony.  

Good evening Tony,

I like Nucast. Good solid lumps of white metal. May be not the most detailed but quick and easy to build. Being an impatient b....r, that suits me well.

I’d really like to keep the D13 as it runs so well but I fear that won’t be possible. I may try to swap the chassis with 4830 and keep that for club non DCC use. Then I can repaint 4831.

Regards,

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some shots of the latest V2 in action.................

1394686299_JesseSimV206panning.jpg.f45c30712bf6ca5d534c318b60905a86.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't half go! 

One thing this shot cruelly illustrates is what we tolerated in the '70s. That is a great big triangular chunk cut out of the frames to accommodate the XO4 motor types which were the prime movers of that time. Plastikard 'cheeks' are called for.

Good evening Tony, another thing that shot clearly illustrates is how fabulous those 'flying by' shots look! I think they come closer than many other types of photos of models to giving the illusion of reality. They really capture the sense of movement!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, great central said:

Hi  Clem, I hate to be picky, given my total lack of modelling output for several years now, but can I just suggest perhaps that your (excellent) working signal seems to be rather awkwardly sited.

It appears as though it would be hidden from view to a driver until he came under the bridge, more likely it would be on the other side of the bridge probably with a sighting board. I understand that the constraints of your model have probably dictated it's position, so could either have a tall secondary arm which can be seen above the bridge or a gallows type signal as used at Nottingham Victoria which can be seen under the bridge.

It's also possible I've completely misunderstood and there's a banner repeater signal just the other side of the bridge!

Hi GC.

Yes. I had to think long and hard about this one. At Kimberley, the up home somersault signal was quite unsighted by Kettle Bank bridge (not unlike the bridge here). They seem to have got around it by putting a banner repeater on the up approach to the bridge. The hidden cutting is meant to be deep and hewn out of sandstone with little chance of having a signal on that side unless much further back, in which case a banner repeater that side would also be appropriate. Having said that, after it had been installed, I did look along the track and the signal can be seen under the bridge, much the same as the Kimberley home. 

But, your point is well founded, I'm pushing it a bit and really this should have been sorted out when I was planning the layout. I've always been a bit bull at gate with regrets at leisure.

50 minutes ago, Headstock said:

Magnifique Monsieur Clem, tres brien.

I notice you have used the correct shade of green on the eves of your A2/7 rebuild of 605O4/7 Kitten off Colwickanoch.

I Love the working grass.

P.S The mystery of the missing farmer will keep me occupied for months. Very 50's Quatermass.

Evening Andrew. 

Yes, you're quite correct. That is the very same Quatermass A2/7.... and the farmer's gone off to do his oats. I hope you're keeping well. Looking forward to being let out in the wide world again. Might even go to B&Q...  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Clem said:

Hi GC.

Yes. I had to think long and hard about this one. At Kimberley, the up home somersault signal was quite unsighted by Kettle Bank bridge (not unlike the bridge here). They seem to have got around it by putting a banner repeater on the up approach to the bridge. The hidden cutting is meant to be deep and hewn out of sandstone with little chance of having a signal on that side unless much further back, in which case a banner repeater that side would also be appropriate. Having said that, after it had been installed, I did look along the track and the signal can be seen under the bridge, much the same as the Kimberley home. 

But, your point is well founded, I'm pushing it a bit and really this should have been sorted out when I was planning the layout. I've always been a bit bull at gate with regrets at leisure.

Evening Andrew. 

Yes, you're quite correct. That is the very same Quatermass A2/7.... and the farmer's gone off to do his oats. I hope you're keeping well. Looking forward to being let out in the wide world again. Might even go to B&Q...  

Evening Clem,

I can't say that B&Q is top of my list of places to rush to after lockdown. Proper fish and chips, a pint of Guinness and live music will be my eventual aim. I here the Leeds festival is on for the Summer, we shall see. In the meantime, with all the LNER big engines now as common as muck, I'm joining you in the Robinson variant (not a version of Corona) collectors club, I have an Annesley O4/5 on order from you know who. It's intended for the steel train that I started and almost finished a couple of years ago BC*. I have also recently received some cool looking chain for the loads, this comes from the great Continent of Australopithecus, on the far side of the world, it looks pretty good, much better than the local cable knit jumper stuff. In the meantime other stuff is also being stuffed, I must attempt to record it photographically.

I can't wait for the next episode of Quatermass A2/7 or is it A2/8?

Apparently, did you know, it's A2 slash 2 not A2 stroke 2. Everybody had it wrong all along. Thank goodness for model railway influencers.

*Before Corona.

Edited by Headstock
Add cap letter.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi,

Clem

Brilliant!  It's got the look-more please!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clem said:

Hi,

Clem

Just one little criticism, which I hope you'll take as constructive.

I'm guessing the signal represents a real one, but you have "moved" the bridge to provide a scenic break. As modelled, the signal would not become visible to the driver until the train emerged from under the road bridge. Prototypically, it would either be "off scene" on the approach side of the bridge, or mounted on a tall straight post lifting it high enough to be sighted over the top. If the latter, it should also be tall enough to prevent vehicles using the lane potentially obstructing it. 

Other than that, just fabulously atmospheric work. Nice to see you back with modelling mojo reactivated.

John

9 hours ago, Shaw_Thing_M8 said:

Hi Tony,

The V2 looks great (if that even needed to be said). Do you scratch build tender fall plates or are there some decent etches?

Regards,

Tilman

Thanks Tilman,

Many kits come with a fall plate, usually in etched brass, complete with anti-slip bars. Some are designed to be hinged (though these have a tendency to just drop down if the gap between loco and tender is too great). 

I generally solder mine solid, so that they ride just above the tender's footplate in operation. To negotiate tighter than scale curves, it's often necessary to 'round' the outer corners off so that the 'plates don't foul the tender sides. 

Where not provided, I'll make the fall plates out of shim brass, cut to size and soldered in place. Either that or thin Plastikard. Or (indolence!), some are still to be fitted! 

The shots in the next one of my posts show some locos equipped (or not) with fall plates in action.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1