Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Beautiful Jol,

And I think that L&NWR lined black is a superb livery.

Just one thing. I take it it's more difficult to put P4 wheels on the track? I struggle with OO!

Regards,

Tony. 

Only when putting a model on the "display" track. Normally I use a "Putterona", a moulded plastic ramp from the Scalefour Stores that guides the wheels onto the track on the layout.

Hornby and Peco also produce 00 gauge versions called Re-railers, so it isn't only P4 modellers that use them!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Talking of A2 stroke 2s and also weathering, I have weathered my 'Thane of Fife' and I think got rid of the strange shade of green.  In the process of doing so, I increasingly realised what a brilliantly designed model this is, sadly let down by the colour and in some cases, assembly defects.

IMG_3944.jpg.f0749d1f8a882a2ebd466a71f8c30f6c.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg.cceec0a83706638360a455f67da0ddc4.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg.274abd08232986868e08f084583b0e62.jpg

Hi

Thats looks very effective indeed.

May I ask what your weathering techniques were to achieve that fine finish?

I did apply an additional coat of Johnson’s Klear today to my 60501 plus brushing on a dirty white spirit solution and it has darkened the green livery it bit more but I think it still needs more work to bring it up to a similar shade of green as per my existing Hornby A3’s & A4’s.

Regards

David

Thanks for posting that pic, Tony. I know it’s a long time ago, but fairly sure that’s my favourite spotting place, Wood Green.......:good:

Takes me back a bit as it doesn’t appear that often in pics.

Lovely pic of a V2 even if I’m wrong about the location....

image.jpeg.bf2a275e8927187d9381a6add71de76e.jpeg

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Talking of A2 stroke 2s and also weathering, I have weathered my 'Thane of Fife' and I think got rid of the strange shade of green.  In the process of doing so, I increasingly realised what a brilliantly designed model this is, sadly let down by the colour and in some cases, assembly defects.

IMG_3944.jpg.f0749d1f8a882a2ebd466a71f8c30f6c.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg.cceec0a83706638360a455f67da0ddc4.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg.274abd08232986868e08f084583b0e62.jpg

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

That's an astonishing transformation Steve,

It's so much more realistic.

Regards,

Tony. 

Got to agree. That looks incredibly natural.

• Thanks 1

Dear 31A...

What a truly outstanding piece of enhanced RTR modelling!

Who would have thought it possible?  And for under UKP200   under UKP145 for we antipodeans without VAT!

Beautiful work, superb weathering and scene, I hope you don't mind here is your photo lightened a tad.

60505_A2_IMG_portrit41_1abcde_r1820.jpg.c5f65ddae03c02c3054252912d181dcd.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, robmcg said:

Dear 31A...

What a truly outstanding piece of enhanced RTR modelling!

Who would have thought it possible?  And for under UKP200   under UKP145 for we antipodeans without VAT!

Beautiful work, superb weathering and scene, I hope you don't wind here is your photo lightened a tad.

60505_A2_IMG_portrit41_1abcde_r1820.jpg.c5f65ddae03c02c3054252912d181dcd.jpg

Thank you Rob, glad you like it.  The photo was just taken with my I Phone camera, but the lighting in my railway room isn't great - what you've done is a big improvement.  I did try with my small digital camera (Panasonic Lumix) but the colour rendition was worse than the I Phone.  The A2/2 model seems to be a bit "Marmite" (some love it, some hate it) from the thread in the Hornby section but I must say I'm a big fan, even more so now I've weathered it!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thank you Rob, glad you like it.  The photo was just taken with my I Phone camera, but the lighting in my railway room isn't great - what you've done is a big improvement.  I did try with my small digital camera (Panasonic Lumix) but the colour rendition was worse than the I Phone.  The A2/2 model seems to be a bit "Marmite" (some love it, some hate it) from the thread in the Hornby section but I must say I'm a big fan, even more so now I've weathered it!

I'd love to see that pic in the Hornby section but it might cause one or two to have apoplexy. :)

Your weathering is outstanding and my TMC version looks very flat and pale by comparison, I think I might try to improve mine by some means or other.

Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Thanks for posting that pic, Tony. I know it’s a long time ago, but fairly sure that’s my favourite spotting place, Wood Green.......:good:

Takes me back a bit as it doesn’t appear that often in pics.

Lovely pic of a V2 even if I’m wrong about the location....

image.jpeg.bf2a275e8927187d9381a6add71de76e.jpeg

You're spot on Gordon,

It is Wood Green, in about 1952. The third car and some at the rear of the train are still in teak. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Only when putting a model on the "display" track. Normally I use a "Putterona", a moulded plastic ramp from the Scalefour Stores that guides the wheels onto the track on the layout.

Hornby and Peco also produce 00 gauge versions called Re-railers, so it isn't only P4 modellers that use them!

Good evening Jol,

Colin Ashby tells an amusing story about the 'Putterona'. I believe he first made it, out of moulded plastic, when he took over the Ian Kirk range of carriage kits. 

He initially produced it in the three principal 4mm gauges - OO, EM and P4. Both the OO and EM ones fairly flew, but the P4 one hardly sold at all to begin with. Until he split the one piece moulding into two, thus offering it as a kit, Sales were then tremendous!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 18

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

You're spot on Gordon,

It is Wood Green, in about 1952. The third car and some at the rear of the train are still in teak. 

Regards,

Tony. 

it was wonderful to see Wood Green again as I really did spend hours on the end of that platform.  The giveaways were the three lines through the station, the signal gantry and the gas holder on the left. Certainly pre dates me in 1952 as I probably started there in 1956.

Great memories as pics are fairly rare. I did find one of a 9F going through the Khyber Pass a few years ago. I’ll see if I can find it again.

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Andrew,

I think the fairing is probably too tall. It's certainly right for the locos in streamlined form as P2s, though it probably should be lower as A2/2s.

520552104_60501May195950A.jpg.482af42f78742d460e1f8317459a72ef.jpg

Though difficult to be absolutely sure, I think the tender front is lower....................

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

What a fabulous photo of 60501, thank you for posting it.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Hornby's latest catering car has just arrived for photography........................

915831507_HornbyMk.jpg.92944e42673b1a7b31920e9a3343d650.jpg

A very accurate car, though I feel the finish is a little dull. 

I think it represents the same diagram as the old Mainline model.

Looks good but I'll stick with my Mainline version.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Colin Ashby tells an amusing story about the 'Putterona'. I believe he first made it, out of moulded plastic, when he took over the Ian Kirk range of carriage kits. 

I still have an original Hornby-Dublo (three-rail) Railer somewhere. I use Colin Ashby's version for day-to-day operation.

Edited by St Enodoc

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

You're spot on Gordon,

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Great stuff teak. Here's a bit being used to true-up the wheels of a rather antiquated Mainline Jubilee. Mainline wheels were brilliant but unfortunately the axles were not so hot. The plastic electrical insulation will be replaced with teak bushes. Teak actually machines like aluminium.

In this case the source of the teak was excess material from a floor we put in.

Andy

DSCN5001.JPG.2d1e5b92c51e9aca776c683d74fbc483.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Back on New Year’s day, I built a simple Ratio 12 ton box van, shown on WW a few dozen pages back. This encouraged me to start on a few more wagon kits that I’ve accumulated over many years, in between doing carriages.

I have just completed this pair of Ratio SR 12 ton Ventilated Vans – I think to Diagram 1455. The instructions were pretty sparse with no prototype information or sample numbers / transfers. One is painted in Humbrol Light Grey, the other Railmatch BR Early Freight Stock Grey, both have replacement brake safety loops, Gibson sprung buffers (I just drilled out the provided buffer shanks), 3 link couplings and Bachmann split spoke wheels running in top hat bearings.

552675001_SRDia145512tVentilatedVanS59163(02)(Ratio).jpg.ebca2bd9657d47e71b537288bd3dd6ca.jpg

On the one below I have tried to replicate the split, repaired and resealed canvas roofs that were characteristic of these vehicles, not perfect but different.

481035455_SRDia145512tVentilatedVanS53915(02)(Ratio).jpg.b38258fd62573403daa72b15fc6e71c3.jpg

Both have also be weathered with washes and dry brushing. I'm quite happy with them.

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
Add missing letter
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 31A said:

You don't mention how "small" your small camera is, but most Lumix models let you adjust the colour balance (it's called "White balance" in the menu). I've (so far) not needed to take either of mine (I have a big one and a small one) off "Auto", which I haven't managed to "beat" yet. 

It might take a bit of playing around, but once you have found what setting suits your lighting, you should be able to save it in a custom menu so it's easy to select when you next need it.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Back on New Year’s day, I built a simple Ratio 12 ton box van, shown on WW a few dozen pages back. This encouraged me to start on a few more wagon kits that I’ve accumulated over many years, in between doing carriages.

I have just completed this pair of Ratio SR 12 ton Ventilated Vans – I think to Diagram 1455. The instructions were pretty sparse with no prototype information or sample numbers / transfers. One is painted in Humbrol Light Grey, the other Railmatch BR Early Freight Stock Grey, both have replacement brake safety loops, Gibson sprung buffers (I just drilled out the provided buffer shanks), 3 link couplings and Bachmann split spoke wheels running in top hat bearings.

552675001_SRDia145512tVentilatedVanS59163(02)(Ratio).jpg.ebca2bd9657d47e71b537288bd3dd6ca.jpg

On the one below I have tried to replicate the split, repaired and resealed canvas roofs that were characteristic of these vehicles, not perfect but different.

481035455_SRDia145512tVentilatedVanS53915(02)(Ratio).jpg.b38258fd62573403daa72b15fc6e71c3.jpg

Both have also be weathered with washes and dry brushing. I'm quite happy with them.

Kind regards,

Iain

Here's one I've been working on. Still needs transfers and weathering. I'll also be doing the roof repairs since seeing the exact type so treated on the final page of Twilight of the Goods.

This is a 9' wheelbase, even-planked example with SR 8-shoe "Power" avb.

Body is Ratio, floor a Parkside leftover, basic underframe Cambrian, brake gear, buffer and brake hose castings are ABS.

I have all necessary to hand to make a 9'wb unfitted one, but there's the better part of a dozen that are, at best, to the stage of this one to finish off first. 

John

P1050317er.JPG

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 14

Thanks Tony, they are brilliant!

If I had a lot more space then a model of Wood Green and the Hertford loop would be top of my list....;)

It was my great Aunt and Uncle who used to take me to Alexandra Palace and my first memories were seeing trains in Alexandra Palace terminus. Of course we wandered down the hill to cross over the rail footbridge and the sight of main line express trains at speed meant I was hooked for life. I’m guessing I was five if six at that time, so I had to wait a couple of years before I was allowed out on my bike to cycle to Wood Green from our home.

Doesn’t bear thinking about cycling up the North Circular and across numerous roads as a child, but those days were so different. I even stumbled across Palace Gates station one day, but not a lot was happening, so it was back to my favourite platform with my packed lunch.

I know things weren’t perfect in those days, but even as children we had so much freedom to do as we pleased. 

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks good but I'll stick with my Mainline version.

Good morning John,

As you and others will recall, I repainted/detailed an old Mainline RB last month. 

Comparisons are odious, I know, but.......................

Mk.jpg.a07aa65518bffe83beb6560d24104435.jpg

My model from last month; Halfords Ford Burgundy Red and transfer lining/lettering/numbering. Then Humbrol matt black/brown/grey enamels, brush-applied for the roof/ends/underframe/bogies. I still need to renumber this to one of the series which ran on B1 bogies. 

1298204999_HornbyMk.jpg.2a7e91e58364b390671f022bf56c0df8.jpg

Under the same studio lighting and taken with the same camera (though not from exactly the same angle), with quite a difference in colour/finish, this is Hornby's latest RB. 

I'm sure it should have curtains in the dining area. 

Was the blanked-off kitchen door window a later feature?

291991194_Mk.1RB02.jpg.5915067dd3b4937e15eac46b365ea356.jpg

And, on the layout; my Mainline RB. I assumed the corridor section would have a handrail. 

1390394445_HornbyMk1RB02.jpg.1d1be27abfb5a81bea9832cafa58d7f6.jpg

And, once again, the latest Hornby RB (layout room lighting and a different camera). 

208221620_twoRBstogether.jpg.73fb947e5285d4585faad9e7e25ad92c.jpg

The two together. Weathering would bring out the roof and chassis details on the Hornby version (and might even disguise the over-scale roof ribs).

Like you, I'll stick with the Mainline RB. If nothing else, it shows how much of an outstanding model it was at the time, though the window reveals are rather deep in comparison with the latest one. 

I'm sure the latest Hornby version will sell really well. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Thanks Tony, they are brilliant!

If I had a lot more space then a model of Wood Green and the Hertford loop would be too if my list....;)

It was my great Aunt and Uncle who used to take me to Alexandra Palace and my first memories were seeing trains in Alexandra Palace terminus. Of course we wandered down the hill to cross over the rail footbridge and the sight of main line express trains at speed meant I was hooked for life. I’m guessing I was five if six at that time, so I had to wait a couple of years before I was allowed out on my bike to cycle to Wood Green from our home.

Doesn’t bear thinking about cycling up the North Circular and across numerous roads as a child, but those days were so different. I even stumbled across Palace Gates station one day, but not a lot was happening, so it was back to my favourite platform with my packed lunch.

I know things weren’t perfect in those days, but even as children we had so much freedom to do as we pleased. 

I'm glad those pictures brought back memories, Gordon,

I'd be about six when they were taken, so no chance of my seeing Wood Green at that time (a long way from Chester). 

Is it a universal perception now that we look back and think we had so much more freedom than kids of today? I think so.

I recall my first independent visit to Retford. I'd be about 11/12, and, being the eldest of all the male cousins in my paternal family, 'in charge' of my younger brother and five/six others. We'd get the train from Kiveton Park (disappearing in clouds of filthy dust as we bounced on the seats of the ancient non-gangwayed carriage, hauled by an even more-filthy D11) to Retford. We were all told not to leave the station (though hordes of 'spotters were booted off one day, only to spot by the subway to the cattle market), never talk to strangers and be back by teatime. That was that! I'd consider such parental 'abandonment' today inconceivable.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6