Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, sandra said:

Talking of Nucast here is another Nucast kit which I have nearly finished, 

it’s a GWR Flower class which I am trying to complete. I’m ashamed to say that I started building it as long ago as 1983 but never got round to finishing it. I’ll post more photos when it’s been painted which at the present rate of progress should be about 2036.

Sandra

I look forward to seeing that. We don't see many outside framed locos (let alone GWR 4-4-0s) on Tony's thread. and they do present their own challenges.

You probably saw these already but here are my two so far, a City and a Bird, both built from Branchlines kits:

bird12.jpg

I've also bought a set of parts for a Bulldog from Tony so that will join these at some point.

Al

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good Evening Tony,

A gentleman who has viewed my video of LB has asked a question to which I do not know the answer(s). Perhaps you could be kind enough to enlighten me please so that I can answer his query.

You will recall that you had just completed construction of a "Prinny" which was still unpainted but which you ran round a couple of circuits for me to film. The question is in two parts, namely who makes the kit and what did you name and number the loco?

Many Thanks,

Archie

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

It depends what’s in the kit (wheels, motor, etc) and whether it’s been started. I’d say that whereas an unstated mint V2 with no wheels and motor would go for £50-£60, an equivalent B16/ A5/ K2 would be around the £100 mark, sometimes a little more. Some sellers try it on with much higher prices but I just ignore them so I don’t know if they sell. If anything, I’d say the B16 is less popular than the other two - is there a known issue with the kit? But it varies from auction to auction so please don't take this as gospel - I’m happy to be corrected if others have a view.

Andy

K2 sold for £250 the other day! Would love to see the kit reintroduced

56 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I look forward to seeing that. We don't see many outside framed locos (let alone GWR 4-4-0s) on Tony's thread. and they do present their own challenges.

You probably saw these already but here are my two so far, a City and a Bird, both built from Branchlines kits:

bird12.jpg

I've also bought a set of parts for a Bulldog from Tony so that will join these at some point.

Al

Good evening Al,

I'd forgotten about selling you the parts for a 'Bulldog'. 

I had a phone call this afternoon from someone tasked with finding new homes for model railway equipment on behalf of a bereaved family. That's two collections I've got to look at as soon as it's possible. I'll keep folk posted as to what there is in due course.....................

Outside-framed locos on Wright writes? How about these; all GWR, and all 4-4-0s............................

I must plead ignorance as to what classes many of these are.

City.jpg.d73a1d31ac91b279a5bd3aa1b3372291.jpg

I've actually had CITY OF TRURO on Little Bytham! I've forgotten who brought this, but it was a while ago. 

1637256449_Dollgelley03.jpg.7de3bb9f3948cd5db9348b87f1066b70.jpg

An O Gauge 'Bird' on Phil Crathorn's Dolgelley, soon to be featured in BRM.

1516843800_Llangerisech10.jpg.7d9ccdd59f1508e967e94898a47db34f.jpg

506710051_Llangerisech05.jpg.08f926aae9be5b4f1e731dc1af1fd35c.jpg

Two types in 2mm FS on Llangerisech.

565129278_SandfordBanwell10.jpg.6a6aa8c4ad7d03ed9c0e6bf29ca4fb30.jpg

One on Sanford and Banwell in P4.

1977951934_Trowbridge07.jpg.24fe2f95832df6405b716fbf6f39dadb.jpg

894504283_Trowbridge13B.jpg.365b8833095a40d62fb34a06a724e5bc.jpg

And two on Trowbridge in OO.

Can anyone tell us what the above are?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 16/02/2021 at 21:41, Tony Wright said:

I think I'd suggest taking John Isherwood's advice, Joseph, and move it on.

Judith Edge kits do go together very well, but I don't think they're for the inexperienced. That's not to say they're over-complicated, but I think (as with all complex, etched brass kits) that some measure of skill and know-how is required. From what you say, the instructions would assume that, especially with no exploded diagram (are you sure there isn't one?).

Apart from some rudimentary drawings, there's no exploded diagram in the LRM J3 kit I'm building. The side-elevation illustrating the prescribed method of fixing the motor is very useful for checking clearance and fit, but that's really all apart from a sketch of the frames, the brake rigging and the cab interior arrangement. There are a large number of pages of written instructions, which do assume some level of skill, and a list of the parts. This is OK, and it relates to the photocopies of the etches, where the parts are numbered on the fret. Except, in places, the photocopies are of little use since they're rather 'blanked-in'. As one cuts the parts out, the numbers (in the scrap parts of the fret) tend to get rather lost. 

Without appearing 'cocky', nothing of this matters to me, since I rarely read instructions and, anyway, the kit  is so well-produced that the build is really intuitive. That said, a full exploded diagram would have been useful. One is provided in the Gibson 'County' Tank kit. 

I know it's disappointing not to be able to build what you'd like, but if you don't have the skills yourself and the cost of having a pro' build it might be prohibitive, best cut your losses. 

Kind regards,

Tony.  

Thanks for your reply, however this does not help me build the kit, yes i'm hanging by a thread! but I'm still hanging!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JamieR4489 said:

There's one on eBay at the moment for £350, unbuilt including Gibson wheels and a motor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nu-Cast-LNER-K2-2-6-0-locomotive-kit-OO-/143963752863

Still no bids unsurprisingly- They’re having a laugh! Better stop this discussion for fear of turning Sir’s thread into ‘eBay madness’

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Manxcat said:

Good Evening Tony,

A gentleman who has viewed my video of LB has asked a question to which I do not know the answer(s). Perhaps you could be kind enough to enlighten me please so that I can answer his query.

You will recall that you had just completed construction of a "Prinny" which was still unpainted but which you ran round a couple of circuits for me to film. The question is in two parts, namely who makes the kit and what did you name and number the loco?

Many Thanks,

Archie

Good evening Archie,

I'm at a loss as to answering your questions. Are you sure you mean a 'Prinny'? It's decades since I built a 'Princess Royal' (from an old K's kit). 

Could it be the DJH 'Princess Coronation' (Semi) I'd built? 

If so, this is it..................

1531548801_DJHSemi20.jpg.5fe83f3af8c30b89972c144bc87447ed.jpg

952855775_DJHSemi22.jpg.71cd77bdac1a1f00ac72b14891d920c6.jpg

I think it was in this state when you visited.

443321835_DJHSemi24painted.jpg.2fca6be6469c957583c5065606b4233d.jpg

1791181118_DJHSemi27onlayoutpanning.jpg.939e6a21d4fb2ade38029df35898e13f.jpg

Geoff Haynes painted it (beautifully) for me, to become 46245 CITY OF LONDON (which actually worked along the ECML in 1963 on a railtour). 

If it's not this one, I'm stumped.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Al,

I had a phone call this afternoon from someone tasked with finding new homes for model railway equipment on behalf of a bereaved family. That's two collections I've got to look at as soon as it's possible. I'll keep folk posted as to what there is in due course.....................

Outside-framed locos on Wright writes? How about these; all GWR, and all 4-4-0s............................

I've actually had CITY OF TRURO on Little Bytham! I've forgotten who brought this, but it was a while ago. 

That'll be mine!

If you remember, we tried it on a fairly heavy goods. The rods slipped out of quarter under load and you took it back into the house for some attention.  It's since been remotored and I've taken care of a few extra details.

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

Had a good day and the J50 chassis is coming together, but I knew there may be questions....;)

All the bearings are in, but when I came to fit the Markits wheels, none of the axles fitted easily into the back of the wheels. I understand they have to be a tight fit, so wondered if some lead in is required to enable the square shank of the axle to pull into the square hole of the wheel.

Should I scrape away the edge of the square hole in the back of the wheel to create a lead in for the axle or take a small file to the axle to take off the sharp square edge?

Grateful for your guidance...

Good evening Gordon.

I've occasionally found this with Markits drivers. 

What I do is run a curved craft blade gently round the edges of the square hole in the back of the driver. If necessary, I also carefully dress the square ends of the axle with a flat, Swiss file.

A snug fit is then achieved.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barry Ten said:

That'll be mine!

If you remember, we tried it on a fairly heavy goods. The rods slipped out of quarter under load and you took it back into the house for some attention.  It's since been remotored and I've taken care of a few extra details.

Thanks Al,

I hope it worked OK after I'd fiddled with it...................... My memory isn't what it was!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Al,

1637256449_Dollgelley03.jpg.7de3bb9f3948cd5db9348b87f1066b70.jpg

An O Gauge 'Bird' on Phil Crathorn's Dolgelley, soon to be featured in BRM.

1516843800_Llangerisech10.jpg.7d9ccdd59f1508e967e94898a47db34f.jpg

506710051_Llangerisech05.jpg.08f926aae9be5b4f1e731dc1af1fd35c.jpg

Two types in 2mm FS on Llangerisech.

565129278_SandfordBanwell10.jpg.6a6aa8c4ad7d03ed9c0e6bf29ca4fb30.jpg

One on Sanford and Banwell in P4.

1977951934_Trowbridge07.jpg.24fe2f95832df6405b716fbf6f39dadb.jpg

894504283_Trowbridge13B.jpg.365b8833095a40d62fb34a06a724e5bc.jpg

And two on Trowbridge in OO.

Can anyone tell us what the above are?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

From the top they are:

City ( obviously)

Bulldog ( Bird series)

Duke

Earl (Dukedog)

Earl (Dukedog)

Bulldog 

Curved frame Bulldog

I’ve always have a soft spot for these GWR outside frame locomotives but I feel they would look rather out of place on Retford.

Sandra

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

47 minutes ago, James Fitzjames said:

K2 sold for £250 the other day! Would love to see the kit reintroduced

Thanks James,

Please get in touch with Dave Ellis and say you'd like one (I'm not a salesman for Nu-Cast, by the way!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Al,

I hope it worked OK after I'd fiddled with it...................... My memory isn't what it was!

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, absolutely fine now, thanks Tony. I wouldn't worry about your memory - who else gets to see as many and varied loco models as you?

• Thanks 1

Most of yesterday was spent in subbing......................

Which meant little progress on the LRM J3.

616672447_J309.jpg.4bc8aec6546124e92aefea24cb25409c.jpg

Dummy front frames and sandboxes now in place. 

The tender construction has started. Regarding the tank, this has to be formed. It's really a one-shot operation. Get it wrong and try re-forming bruised brass! 

More progress, later......................

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Most of yesterday was spent in subbing......................

Which meant little progress on the LRM J3.

616672447_J309.jpg.4bc8aec6546124e92aefea24cb25409c.jpg

Dummy front frames and sandboxes now in place. 

The tender construction has started. Regarding the tank, this has to be formed. It's really a one-shot operation. Get it wrong and try re-forming bruised brass! 

More progress, later......................

Looks cracking Tony!

May I ask, what in your opinion is the best kit (be it Wagon, Coach, Loco etc) to progress my kit building skills? I'm getting plenty of practice with 51L White Metal Wagons, but I understand that there are a lot more intricate kits out there!

Many thanks,

Dylan

16 minutes ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Looks cracking Tony!

May I ask, what in your opinion is the best kit (be it Wagon, Coach, Loco etc) to progress my kit building skills? I'm getting plenty of practice with 51L White Metal Wagons, but I understand that there are a lot more intricate kits out there!

Many thanks,

Dylan

Stay clear of Jidenco kits......

I jsut built one and oh boy was it a challenge haha

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Archie,

I'm at a loss as to answering your questions. Are you sure you mean a 'Prinny'? It's decades since I built a 'Princess Royal' (from an old K's kit). 

Could it be the DJH 'Princess Coronation' (Semi) I'd built? 

If so, this is it..................

1531548801_DJHSemi20.jpg.5fe83f3af8c30b89972c144bc87447ed.jpg

Geoff Haynes painted it (beautifully) for me, to become 46245 CITY OF LONDON (which actually worked along the ECML in 1963 on a railtour). 

If it's not this one, I'm stumped.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I was wrong, sorry. It was indeed the Semi. I can now reply to the question with confidence.

Archie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dylan Sanderson said:

Looks cracking Tony!

Many thanks,

Dylan

Thanks Dylan,

For a first loco kit, I'd recommended any inside-cylinder 0-6-0 tender loco from South Eastern Finecast. You can always practise on the tender first.

Coaches? Anything from Comet. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1