Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Following Tony's post earlier I looked at the Hattons' A3s and I was surprised at the price reductions across the range. I know a few people who dabble in 7mm (including me) but not one has a layout where you could do justice to an A3. I wonder if there was a perceived market gap which didn't really exist.

I’m not convinced that is the issue. Most O gauge stuff gets reduced after a while. The (relatively) cheap ‘cute’ tanks started at a higher price and came down. I think that some alleged build quality issues have dented the potential market but it was probably always going to reduce in price at some stage.

I’ve just started dabbling in O gauge. We’re building a Minories type layout at my club (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/160690-minories-inspired-layout-in-0-gauge/) , and I did consider one when the price reduced but was put off by a Combination of the reliability issues and a preference for a coal rails tender which they say they will produce next. I’m working on the basis that an A3 could work an evening peak commuter special of 4-5 corridor coaches for which we have space. 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 60526 said:

Tony, following our conversation yesterday here are some of the old photos taken with a Kodak Brownie by my brother, probably May 61. We lived next to Bethune Park just north of New Southgate and our next-door neighbour who was a secondman at Hornsey used to take us down to either New Southgate or Wood Green and drop us off to spot, banana sandwiches and a flask of Heinz soup it was in those days!!! We also got the occasional cab ride down to Hornsey and if it was a Sunday a trip around the shed. A magic place to spot on the southern end of the down Wood Green platform opposite the up signal box. You could tell by the bells from the box that something was approaching and the line  indicators off the end of the platform by the barrow crossing gave you an idea of which line the train was approaching from. Oh for a better camera at the time?

410777020_A260526SugarPalmatWoodGreen.jpg.7be4d7e49d7906029fdc87fa2821ff18.jpg

60526 Sugar Palm on an up express, my brother seems to think that this was quite rare at WG, a 50A York engine.

620350561_A360054atWoodGreen.jpg.f43cb362959c702f74f4e50b606160fb.jpg

60054 Prince of Wales on home turf

1619394564_60513DanteatNewSouthgate.jpg.358241cba9300509d70749cce4149cb1.jpg

60513 Dante on the up side at New Southgate.

129968125_61393atWoodGreen.jpg.fd036cf20d9c5bc3db24ba1f3bf5f1c7.jpg

61393 down side at Wood Green, such a shame that the focus is not there.

1284155396_WD2-8-0atWoodGreen.jpg.5746c177c28ef9f9394dc24369cac5a1.jpg

WD 2-8-0 on the down side at Wood Green, same frustration again.

2008049236_EEBabyDelticatWoodGreen.jpg.fb64a2948a003a23dda95693a041b00f.jpg

Baby Deltic on the down main at Wood Green

34070706_D5905atWoodGreen.jpg.587b3cafa37f44e83c789d7c9317755a.jpg

Baby Deltic D5905 on the up main and on a stopper at Wood Green.

841746899_EEDelticatWoodGreen.jpg.94b8415e153745f2253d64469e10b2b6.jpg

Deltic on the down main at Wood Green

1443212483_EEType3atWoodGreen.jpg.d24e3b5b5e8f043a469eaa91a8ee9809.jpg

EE type 3 on IL59 down main at Wood Green. To Cleethorpes?

1454557223_D208atWoodGreen.jpg.3a8f0b636b3aa0017899561a4e3f6289.jpg

D208 on the down slow at Wood Green

426817439_D0280FalconatNewSouthgate.jpg.9b705f5207135b8082bad32c76b6c04f.jpg

D0280 with no yellow ends on 1G60 the down Sheffield Pullman at New Southgate.

You can't go back and takes these photos again like you can't change the camera or who processed the film, but they have been kept for a bit of nostalgia. Some could be improved because I still have the negatives but they are a larger size than 35mm and don't fit in my scanner. I do have a few other photos of non-eastern locos, I'll scan them and post later perhaps.

Regards Charlie 

Wonderful, evocative! Thank you for posting :)

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

No, I didn’t take the exGamston bank A1/1. I came to you to buy the ex silver jubilee triplet (I think it was the first time we met) and went away with an ex West Riding twin and 60508 as well costing me much more than I’d intended....but well worth it. 

I now have examples of all the ex LNER RA9 power except for Great Northern, so I’m very much in the market for one. I may well build one but I have a lot of things higher in the queue. If the W1 sells then why not the A1/1?

Andy

I've no idea if an RTR A1/1 would sell Andy,

As Robert Carroll has suggested, there are plenty of potential livery variations, as well as different cabs/smoke deflectors/etc.

With the W1, Hornby has two options, of course; original and rebuilt, with variations in both, as well as different tenders. 

The problem with 60113 is that it was such a despised loco (though the A2/2s have their detractors as well), which might mean a prejudice against it. That said, for any latter day ECML steam scene depiction (particularly the ex-GN) it's essential. Whenever I was 'spotting at Retford I saw it every time.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

As promised Tony a photo of the Jidenco 6ton fish van. 

An absolute pain to build! But I am haply

with it, despite the set backs. I’ll post a photo next week of it weathered, hopefully it will hide the blemishes. 

I would weather it this weekend but picking up my new Harley.....

A5C4F3A9-D1CC-4985-96F0-5A740C0664BA.jpeg

Well done! I built a Jidenco 5 Ton GNR/LNER fish wagon a while back and would have to agree, that was a pain too! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've no idea if an RTR A1/1 would sell Andy,

As Robert Carroll has suggested, there are plenty of potential livery variations, as well as different cabs/smoke deflectors/etc.

With the W1, Hornby has two options, of course; original and rebuilt, with variations in both, as well as different tenders. 

The problem with 60113 is that it was such a despised loco (though the A2/2s have their detractors as well), which might mean a prejudice against it. That said, for any latter day ECML steam scene depiction (particularly the ex-GN) it's essential. Whenever I was 'spotting at Retford I saw it every time.

Regards,

Tony. 

If the other Thompson Pacifics can sell well, then why not 60113. I appreciate the alleged spite which went into the choice of loco for the conversion, but that is ancient history now. I bear it no malice as I’m too young to remember any of them in service. I just know that I ought to have one to depict the GNML in the ‘50s.

Andy

With mention of Hornby BR Brunswick green mentioned a few messages back, along with other beautiful RTR models in various gauges, I just for fun using a computer , PSP6 to be exact, applied a version of Bachmann's green to the latest Hornby A2/2 60501. It looks rather odd when compared, and who is to say which is more 'real', I certainly don't know.

Please ignore the steam and smoke, engines tended not to blow off on shed!  

Just for fun, anyway.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/162234-help-ive-begun-to-like-the-look-of-thompson-pacifics/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-4349464

Cheers

6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think that sums up the problem in a nutshell; production has clearly exceeded demand from established O Gauge users with the real estate needed to employ such big locos.

Many/most who have begun to dabble seem to have been seduced by the availability of cute little 0-6-0 tanks that cost about the same as OO Pacifics, and who can just about find room for ten feet or so of shunting plank. 

That's how long Tony's OO expresses are, so an A3 or A4 in O Gauge needs a train significantly longer than that to look even half serious.

The only Pacifics that regularly worked short trains were the Southern Lightweights, and most of those were only short at the beginning or end of their journeys anyway.  

John

Good evening John,

Though it's true that most of Bytham's Pacifics haul very-long trains, there is the occasional running-in turn. This will be a loco fresh from Donny Plant, often something exotic.......................

Like this.

902879784_605280nrunning-inturn.jpg.4e32c7f948acdb32be342acf2cd4861f.jpg

Scottish-based TUDOR MINSTREL (DJH/Wright/Rathbone) on a six-coach 'parly'. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, robmcg said:

With mention of Hornby BR Brunswick green mentioned a few messages back, along with other beautiful RTR models in various gauges, I just for fun using a computer , PSP6 to be exact, applied a version of Bachmann's green to the latest Hornby A2/2 60501. It looks rather odd when compared, and who is to say which is more 'real', I certainly don't know.

Please ignore the steam and smoke, engines tended not to blow off on shed!  

Just for fun, anyway.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/162234-help-ive-begun-to-like-the-look-of-thompson-pacifics/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-4349464

Cheers

Very effective Rob,

I prefer the green in the lower picture.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

If the other Thompson Pacifics can sell well, then why not 60113. I appreciate the alleged spite which went into the choice of loco for the conversion, but that is ancient history now. I bear it no malice as I’m too young to remember any of them in service. I just know that I ought to have one to depict the GNML in the ‘50s.

Andy

Hello again Andy,

One problem (for Hornby?) is that there's so little commonality of parts between the A1/1 and anything else in the firm's range. There's the A3 tender, of course, and the A4 boiler, but that's about it, other than the cylinders and crossheads from the A2/2s and A2/3s. The motion, though clearly Thompson, is unique to the A1/1 because of its 6' 8" coupled wheels. 

Yes, the W1 has little commonality as well, though there are more versions. The chassis (up to the back end) is the same as the A4, and both styles of tender are already in Hornby's range. 

The advantages the A2/2s and A2/3s have is that 19 different models can be made from the basic tooling.

Still, I don't know. All I can say on a personal level is that I've not been approached by any RTR manufacturer with regard to GREAT NORTHERN. Perhaps they're asking someone who's more reliable! In your case, it looks like kit-building or modifying, though the latter course has certainly used lots of Hornby parts to make 60113, so who knows?

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m not convinced that is the issue. Most O gauge stuff gets reduced after a while. The (relatively) cheap ‘cute’ tanks started at a higher price and came down. I think that some alleged build quality issues have dented the potential market but it was probably always going to reduce in price at some stage.
Andy

Mine doesn't, but then I model Spur Null.  Bill

22 minutes ago, Ian Rathbone said:

My first post on this thread. I’ve just finished painting this A4 for Tony. It was originally built to work on the layout ‘Shap’ at the last Warley show hauling a steam excursion on an otherwise diesel railway. I painted it in LNER Blue, with o/h warning signs, as running in 1968, shown here on LB.

1460EFF9-BEB7-4E94-A389-4457F95576DE.jpeg.cb009f0ca950d2918a6d0a43d807afc9.jpeg

However, Shap has been backdated so Sir Nigel became redundant, so Tony asked me to repaint it in BR green. I stripped the body paintwork and started again in LB era livery. It has been gently weathered to represent a cleanish ‘cared for’ engine. Hopefully Tony will take a better photo of it. Of course he will.

5A88217C-B1EF-4699-BBE0-7FBA4734EE16.jpeg.b07c8e68e2149b352e13675c60d73f7e.jpeg

Ian R

Thanks Ian,

That's a beautiful paint job.

Regards,

Tony.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

N2.jpg.a7b87b0f385dd26deeb21698f0bbe398.jpg

N2 going from Down fast to Down slow to stop. 

What's left at Wood Green today? No longer Wood Green, of course; now Alexandra Palace. Certainly no photographers.

I've not seen those three indicators before - are they for staff using the barrow crossing to indicate the proximity of an approaching train on each the three tracks?  It's a lovely image for having someone standing there, so much more than just a picture of a train.

Oh and on my way out of the FRM at Ally Pally 3 years ago, I took this shot of "Wood Green" now:

IMG_2084.JPG.ebed0ccac4d3f287afd62626449e7305.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking at the N2 pic again, I’m now curious about the pointwork under the train. Is that the remains of another crossing from the slow line? 

Maybe it was a catch point to stop reversing up the main line?

It’s not shown on the 25” map from 1937.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I've not seen those three indicators before - are they for staff using the barrow crossing to indicate the proximity of an approaching train on each the three tracks?

Yes, exactly - a few GN stations had them.  I remember similar ones at the north end of Hitchin station.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

My first post on this thread. I’ve just finished painting this A4 for Tony. It was originally built to work on the layout ‘Shap’ at the last Warley show hauling a steam excursion on an otherwise diesel railway. I painted it in LNER Blue, with o/h warning signs, as running in 1968, shown here on LB.

1460EFF9-BEB7-4E94-A389-4457F95576DE.jpeg.cb009f0ca950d2918a6d0a43d807afc9.jpeg

However, Shap has been backdated so Sir Nigel became redundant, so Tony asked me to repaint it in BR green. I stripped the body paintwork and started again in LB era livery. It has been gently weathered to represent a cleanish ‘cared for’ engine. Hopefully Tony will take a better photo of it. Of course he will.

5A88217C-B1EF-4699-BBE0-7FBA4734EE16.jpeg.b07c8e68e2149b352e13675c60d73f7e.jpeg

Ian R

Good morning Ian,

Do you remember painting all those Pullman cars as well?

Regards,

Tony. 

8 hours ago, gordon s said:

Looking at the N2 pic again, I’m now curious about the pointwork under the train. Is that the remains of another crossing from the slow line? 

Maybe it was a catch point to stop reversing up the main line?

Good morning Gordon,

I don't think it's a catch point because other images (without a train being signalled over it) show it to be set for 'normal' running (usually, catch points would be sprung-loaded against 'normal' running). 

Perhaps it is the remains of a crossing.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

A trap rather than a catch but if it's supposed to be protecting the junction in the rear it's a bit doubtful as anything backing through it would foul the line it is supposed to protect.

9 hours ago, gordon s said:

But neither is the crossover from down fast to down slow that the train is traversing.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But neither is the crossover from down fast to down slow that the train is traversing.

For what it's worth,  I have a photo on file taken from the same position in June 1936.  The crossover you mention was clearly there then; however there is just plain track where the turnout under the N2 is in the above photograph.

D

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I've not seen those three indicators before - are they for staff using the barrow crossing to indicate the proximity of an approaching train on each the three tracks?  It's a lovely image for having someone standing there, so much more than just a picture of a train.

Oh and on my way out of the FRM at Ally Pally 3 years ago, I took this shot of "Wood Green" now:

IMG_2084.JPG.ebed0ccac4d3f287afd62626449e7305.JPG

It would seem that the Class 91s are history on the line now.

I haven't seen one fizz by us for weeks now. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

And I haven't seen one of these on the ECML recently.  Hat, coat, nice knowing you guys .....  Bill

image.png

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

Stored temporarily due to the reduction in services on account of the pandemic, I believe.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1