Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Being a 2mm modeller I’d love to use drills as big as 0.5mm! :jester:

I use (and break) drills fairly often (although never in aluminium), and generally use an archemedian drill to hold the bits. I generally buy my bits from Chronos in 10’s plus (just a satisfied customer), but will always make a small pilot indentation in the metal with a sharpened gramophone needle - I grind a three sided point on the end by rubbing a few times on a diamond hone (using magnification to compare the facets and edges produced). Once made they can be used to make nice pilot holes for starting very small drills - I even use them on the lathe. I have made 4 sided ones in the past which also work (but my preference is 3-sided) and use the slots in the end of a pin vice as a guide for grinding the facets.

Hope the above is useful to someone.

Ian

PS the 3-sided point of a ground gramophone needle also makes a useful stray solder scraper too!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Being a 2mm modeller I’d love to use drills as big as 0.5mm! :jester:

I use (and break) drills fairly often (although never in aluminium), and generally use an archemedian drill to hold the bits. I generally buy my bits from Chronos in 10’s plus (just a satisfied customer), but will always make a small pilot indentation in the metal with a sharpened gramophone needle - I grind a three sided point on the end by rubbing a few times on a diamond hone (using magnification to compare the facets and edges produced). Once made they can be used to make nice pilot holes for starting very small drills - I even use them on the lathe. I have made 4 sided ones in the past which also work (but my preference is 3-sided) and use the slots in the end of a pin vice as a guide for grinding the facets.

Hope the above is useful to someone.

Ian

PS the 3-sided point of a ground gramophone needle also makes a useful stray solder scraper too!

One thought on breaking very small drills.  Whether using a pin vice or mini-drill, put the drill bit in as far as it will go (no sniggering at the back, please), sometimes people think you need to leave loads sticking out.  If you're drilling through 2mm of anything, you don't need 15mm of drill "free".  This does prevent accidental bending of the drill bit which is what causes breakages.  The great advantage of pin vices though is you can feel if the drill is biting and stop before applying too much load.

I also wonder if with mini-drills, it may be that speed is critical.  I've not got my Machinery's handbook around to remind me from 30 years ago in the machine shop, but I think aluminium and brass require higher tool tip speeds than steel.  As you can imagine, to get a high tip speed on a 0.5mm drill is going to need some serious RPM.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 02/03/2021 at 21:21, Tony Wright said:

Thanks James,

Please get in touch with Dave Ellis and say you'd like one (I'm not a salesman for Nu-Cast, by the way!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

Response from Dave Ellis on the possibility of Nu-Cast K2s: they are certainly 'thinking about it'. There are some difficulties, so it 'won't happen quickly', but will definitely be 'researched'. Dave's (updated) email is daveellis05@gmail.com

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Bought a magazine on ebay last week as there is an article on the GT3 when first built.  July 1962 Model Railway News. Very interesting to see how railway modelling was portrayed in those days (when I was still in short trousers). A touch of nostalgia always brings a smile.

However, I did find the old style smoke generators quite shocking to see.

Dave

DSC05610.JPG.46476b49d48c4c717f25edded770e421.JPG

• Like 3

Before and after.....................

543675020_SEFinecastA422.jpg.9e8aaa275c9f01099503ac4bfbb8b127.jpg

As is known, I built this SE Finecast A4 for a very specific purpose - to run on Shap during its first public showing at Warley, where the year 1967 was represented; the year when 4498 fairly flew up Shap on rail tours. 

She's run on Shap again (at Glasgow last year, when it just crawled up the hill!), but when it's next out, Shap will be much earlier in its representation. 

Ian Rathbone painted it. 

Since SIR NIGEL GRESLEY is no use on Little Bytham in this livery, Ian's repainted her for me.......................

411131237_6000701.jpg.216eac6640800a96eaf4326658d76867.jpg

127791861_6000702.jpg.304cf481ed58c9606176fb181f074519.jpg

Beautifully! 

A loco in service; cleaned, but with inevitable road-weathering. 

He did suggest I sell it, and make another one. In some ways he's right, and it was a shame to lose the lovely first paint job, but this is just how I remember 60007 best.

Obviously, I think this BR green is spot on. Those who express concern about Hornby's rendition of BR green might well ponder on a paint job like this. Full price, a hundred pounds more than a Hornby A2/2 or A2/3! 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

One thought on breaking very small drills.  Whether using a pin vice or mini-drill, put the drill bit in as far as it will go (no sniggering at the back, please), sometimes people think you need to leave loads sticking out.  If you're drilling through 2mm of anything, you don't need 15mm of drill "free".  This does prevent accidental bending of the drill bit which is what causes breakages.  The great advantage of pin vices though is you can feel if the drill is biting and stop before applying too much load.

I also wonder if with mini-drills, it may be that speed is critical.  I've not got my Machinery's handbook around to remind me from 30 years ago in the machine shop, but I think aluminium and brass require higher tool tip speeds than steel.  As you can imagine, to get a high tip speed on a 0.5mm drill is going to need some serious RPM.

Agreed. Support as much of the drill as possible - the same principle as when cutting anything, from a plank of wood to something in a lathe - and where possible use appropriate higher speeds for 'softer' materials. The last being a subject in itself. Lubrication where possible is always good - even if it's just 'spit' :) - as is clearance of swarf and debris. Mention has also been made of making an indentation where drilling has to start and again, this is good practice, if not vital, to avoid breakage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

@TrevorP1 @Northmoor and others

Many thanks for the tips.  Sort of advice you can only get by asking people who know what they are doing! As a sole modeller, it's great to have this type of resource to ask questions about how to do stuff.  I had wondering about drill speed.  I'd assumed that starting slower and speeding up would make sense to see where it bites!  

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Obviously, I think this BR green is spot on. Those who express concern about Hornby's rendition of BR green might well ponder on a paint job like this. Full price, a hundred pounds more than a Hornby A2/2 or A2/3! 

Or perhaps more helpfully suggest to Hornby that they engage the services of a professional like Ian to get to understand the correct way to apply BR green in much the same way as they finally got to understand BR Maroon (on their ex LMS pacifics at least!). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Or perhaps more helpfully suggest to Hornby that they engage the services of a professional like Ian to get to understand the correct way to apply BR green in much the same way as they finally got to understand BR Maroon (on their ex LMS pacifics at least!). 

Good evening Mike,

It's already in hand...................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

I've just received my copy of the latest The Clearing House, the journal of the British Railway Modellers of Australia. In it is my article on Little Bytham.

It's a privilege to be invited to submit material for the BRMA Journal (there are several more in preparation), especially because Mo and I were so warmly welcomed and looked after when we attended the Convention, in Sydney, in 2018.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

60007 is now in its much more natural environment..................

1567724473_6000703.jpg.e2e8398e52930b8cd00f42cfe8edf087.jpg

1025378324_6000704.jpg.4b8c34f23b72071514519df0179b81dd.jpg

1780734370_6000705.jpg.bd480c938fcde9a391cfa34ffb1d117e.jpg

It's on the same 'Queen of Scots' rake seen in the pictures the other day, showing it in LNER blue. 

Strictly speaking, this would normally be an A1, but I like the combination. 

It really looks superb

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

543675020_SEFinecastA422.jpg.9e8aaa275c9f01099503ac4bfbb8b127.jpg

Oh to have a layout to run this on!  I rode on two trips behind Sir Nigel Gresley in this form in the late 70s/early 80s, the Cumbrian Coast Express (as a seventh birthday treat), SNG hauling the return run from Ravenglass to Carnforth after the outward run behind Leander.  A couple of years later we did the North Yorkshireman tour behind SNG as well, a day of heavy rain but I can still remember the rapid beat of the 8F on the Keighley and Worth Valley.  Dad started me young, is it any wonder I became a railway enthusiast?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Oh to have a layout to run this on!  I rode on two trips behind Sir Nigel Gresley in this form in the late 70s/early 80s, the Cumbrian Coast Express (as a seventh birthday treat), SNG hauling the return run from Ravenglass to Carnforth after the outward run behind Leander.  A couple of years later we did the North Yorkshireman tour behind SNG as well, a day of heavy rain but I can still remember the rapid beat of the 8F on the Keighley and Worth Valley.  Dad started me young, is it any wonder I became a railway enthusiast?

I photographed SIR NIGEL GRESLEY in the condition modelled, at the beginning of April 1967. She's just been overhauled and painted in LNER blue, and was taking a special between Crewe and Carlisle (only bettered by 6234 I'm told). 

I'd photographed her a year before, on Crewe South awaiting preservation, still in BR green.

Prior to that, of course, I'd seen 60007 in her natural environment, the ECML. Just as Ian Rathbone has painted it.......................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tomsontour said:

Managed to get a few hours at the work bench over the past week, and had a go at renumbering my first loco, fiddly in N gauge but very satisfying knowing I'm now able to do this, and can start making the layout a lot more personalised :)

31817 a Redhill loco, perfect for the line I'm modelling on the Reading to Redhill line, then of course popped it though the weathering shop. Don't worry Tony it'll be fitted with discs and a crew :)

All the best

Matt :)

IMG_20210303_172150_487.jpg

IMG_20210309_173552_345.jpg

Brought to life Matt,

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Bought a magazine on ebay last week as there is an article on the GT3 when first built.  July 1962 Model Railway News. Very interesting to see how railway modelling was portrayed in those days (when I was still in short trousers). A touch of nostalgia always brings a smile.

However, I did find the old style smoke generators quite shocking to see.

Dave

DSC05610.JPG.46476b49d48c4c717f25edded770e421.JPG

Woodies were better, fewer bits of baccy would get in your mouth than from Senior Service. Capstan full strength weren't to bad either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Woodies were better, fewer bits of baccy would get in your mouth than from Senior Service. Capstan full strength weren't to bad either.

My mum used to smoke Weights. When they were discontinued she switched to No 6 (unfiltered).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Never really got on with plain ciggies, always preferred tipped ones. Started out at 5 packs of Park Drive as a kid among a group, younger readers will have to look those up. 

Tried a good many other brands before gravitating to John Player's medium tipped once I was working. They seemed to be liked by most people I knew although they usually bought Embassy or No6. 

As 'king size' ones became more popular John Player Special took over. 

Stopped smoking suddenly one evening towards the end of 1982, had a pack in my car for two years or more untouched. Even doing a major job at a John Player warehouse with free tobacco allocation didn't sway me. 

Don't understand the current fascination with roll ups, mine always kept going out:smoke:

I also have no issue with people who choose to smoke now, and dislike the vilification that smokers come in for, often while heavy drinking is seemingly condoned and even encouraged:diablo_mini:

Edit: to add a railway connection, it has often been mentioned about the wooden containers used in steam days being placed in an open wagon rather than on a flat as intended. I understand it was done so that the doors couldn't be opened in transit due to high value loads, often tobacco products.

Edited by great central
Add last paragraph
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I recall when wagons heading to the Player’s cigarette factory in Nottingham we’re targeted by fellow spotters who were very interested in the contents.   Not the tobacco... but the collectible picture cards that were included in cigarette packs at the time!

Happy days...

• Like 10

Smoking now......................

I smoked a pipe for a time. I thought I'd look 'cool', but all I did was look a t!t! 

Modern Railways for a time featured an ad' on the back cover (can't remember what for) showing a youngish guy drilling a hole with a brace and bit, with a pipe firmly wedged in his teeth. It was the done thing, I suppose.

One 'amusing' incident (amusing in hindsight) occurred some time ago now when I was invited to a book launch in Edinburgh. I went up with David Brown (then editor of BRM), and we stayed overnight, the book launch being on the next day. On the evening before, the publishers invited David, me and the author for dinner at a superb restaurant. One of the delights of a good meal to me is the period before its served, where one can enjoy the aromas of the different dishes. On being seated, we'd ordered drinks and were about to order our meals, when the author asked us 'You don't mind if I smoke, do you?'. My three other companions said nothing, but I immediately said 'Yes, I do. You'll ruin the meal!'. The others were aghast, and the author must have have thought I was joking because he continued. 'Yes I do!' I exclaimed; then he got the message. It did rather dampen any further conversation, and after he'd picked at his food, the author bade his farewells and disappeared into the Edinburgh night, only to return in the wee small hours telling me 'You've ruined it, I'm supposed to be the star!'. He was dead drunk. 

Fortunately, he'd recovered by the morning, and the book launch went off very well, though he didn't speak to me. 

As a (sad) footnote, his habits eventually did for him, and he died prematurely. A wonderful author and a great loss.

I, too, don't have a problem with folk choosing to smoke (remember, I smoked a pipe), but only if it doesn't impact on me.  

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Smoking now......................

I smoked a pipe for a time. I thought I'd look 'cool', but all I did was look a t!t! 

Modern Railways for a time featured an ad' on the back cover (can't remember what for) showing a youngish guy drilling a hole with a brace and bit, with a pipe firmly wedged in his teeth. It was the done thing, I suppose.

One 'amusing' incident (amusing in hindsight) occurred some time ago now when I was invited to a book launch in Edinburgh. I went up with David Brown (then editor of BRM), and we stayed overnight, the book launch being on the next day. On the evening before, the publishers invited David, me and the author for dinner at a superb restaurant. One of the delights of a good meal to me is the period before its served, where one can enjoy the aromas of the different dishes. On being seated, we'd ordered drinks and were about to order our meals, when the author asked us 'You don't mind if I smoke, do you?'. My three other companions said nothing, but I immediately said 'Yes, I do. You'll ruin the meal!'. The others were aghast, and the author must have have thought I was joking because he continued. 'Yes I do!' I exclaimed; then he got the message. It did rather dampen any further conversation, and after he'd picked at his food, the author bade his farewells and disappeared into the Edinburgh night, only to return in the wee small hours telling me 'You've ruined it, I'm supposed to be the star!'. He was dead drunk. 

Fortunately, he'd recovered by the morning, and the book launch went off very well, though he didn't speak to me. 

As a (sad) footnote, his habits eventually did for him, and he died prematurely. A wonderful author and a great loss.

I, too, don't have a problem with folk choosing to smoke (remember, I smoked a pipe), but only if it doesn't impact on me.  

Traditionally, of course, one should not smoke until after the Loyal Toast although I suspect that your dinner was not as "Grand" as that. In the past, when chairing such an occasion, instead of the traditional "Gentlemen, you may now smoke" I would sometimes announce, simply, "Those who must, may". That also had the benefit of being gender-neutral.

I do miss a glass of port and a cigar though, which made listening to the after-dinner speaker a lot more tolerable...

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I never understood smoking, I knew few, mainly because the money would be better spent on (various people) other things, mine was mainly running a bike.

Others had worked out the cost of smoking vs a Lamborghini.

Petrol & other bike costs *

Records

Guitars

Model railways   *

Drink

• Like 2