Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Very nice indeed, was initially going to comment on the great tower block model beside the track then figured it was a gate..... better go back to specsavers again

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

10 hours ago, Ian Rathbone said:

Surely a Jinty wouldn’t have both the LMS cartouche and the coat of arms. I would remove the coat of arms before anyone sees it...

Thank you for the Gresley photos.

Regards

Ian R

Good morning Ian,

Have I misinterpreted the top picture on page 126 of  Essery and Jenkinson's Volume 4 of LMS Locomotives? Probably, though the symbol is round, not oval like a worksplate. 

It'll come off easily.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

22 minutes ago, TT3 said:

Very nice indeed, was initially going to comment on the great tower block model beside the track then figured it was a gate..... better go back to specsavers again

I get that a lot, someone once thought it was high rise apartments. 

I jsut get some nice afternoon sun that gives perfect light.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Ian,

Have I misinterpreted the top picture on page 126 of  Essery and Jenkinson's Volume 4 of LMS Locomotives? Probably, though the symbol is round, not oval like a worksplate. 

It'll come off easily.

Regards,

Tony. 

Could be the North British Loco. Company works plate, as they were circular. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Could be the North British Loco. Company works plate, as they were circular. 

16564 in the photo I posted is a Vulcan engine of 1928; the works plate can be seen towards the bottom of the bunker side. I'd be surprised if the NBL worksplate would be allowed to obstruct the standard placing of the LMS insignia. 

I'm afraid I don't have the Essery & Jenkinson LMS Locomotives volumes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

16564 in the photo I posted is a Vulcan engine of 1928; the works plate can be seen towards the bottom of the bunker side. I'd be surprised if the NBL worksplate would be allowed to obstruct the standard placing of the LMS insignia. 

I'm afraid I don't have the Essery & Jenkinson LMS Locomotives volumes.

The circular works plate was located underneath the rectangular 'LMS' motif. There was no coat of arms in this location, but the works plate, being circular, would resemble one in a slightly hazy photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've made a small test module for my N gauge trackwork as I wanted to make sure things were working mechanically and electrically before building further points. Eventually the module will be incorporated into a larger (but still small) layout:

code40b.jpg.99a8b902af8efc2c1b9aaf01fe076949.jpgcode40a.jpg.60ecd018e9261fc748867d90ea5546af.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Barclay said:

The circular works plate was located underneath the rectangular 'LMS' motif. There was no coat of arms in this location, but the works plate, being circular, would resemble one in a slightly hazy photo.

But are the number and LMS cartouche on the tank and bunker centre line, or raised above it as Tony has done? The latter seems to me unlikely - I would have expected the specification provided to NBL to require their worksplate not to obstruct the standard positioning of livery. When the Midland changed to the large-digit livery style in 1905, the company coat of arms went on the bunker side in this position and worksplates that were in the way were removed (possibly relocated).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

But are the number and LMS cartouche on the tank and bunker centre line, or raised above it as Tony has done? The latter seems to me unlikely - I would have expected the specification provided to NBL to require their worksplate not to obstruct the standard positioning of livery. When the Midland changed to the large-digit livery style in 1905, the company coat of arms went on the bunker side in this position and worksplates that were in the way were removed (possibly relocated).

On the photo. I'm looking at, of an NBL loco., albeit a different one, the number is dead on the centre line, the 'LMS' slightly higher, i.e. not quite on the same centre line as the number. However I make no comment on centre lines or otherwise, merely that Tony may have interpreted a circular works plate as a coat of arms if the photo. wasn't very clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Ian,

It'll come off easily.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes you have, the circular item is the works plate.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Barclay said:

Many thanks,

I'll now do two things....................

Remove the coat of arms from the loco in question. And, the second thing? Stick to building LNER/ER locos.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You have some very nice LMR locos on your layout.

Many thanks Stephen,

The difference is they're all in BR condition. My knowledge of the subtleties among the LMS locos' numerous liveries is dismal.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

I'll now do two things....................

Remove the coat of arms from the loco in question. And, the second thing? Stick to building LNER/ER locos.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, it’s not the building, it’s the painting.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamiel said:

Photos always show up odd things too, a bit more dirt to cover the silver of the brake wheel the diver is holding (I think it is a brake wheel?).

Very nice! It's the Horwich style reverser actually.

Edited by Leander
  • Informative/Useful 1