Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

At least this pair of dead spiders must have thought that the old K's ROD tender was a 'delightful' residence. At least for a time.

86879773_KsROD02.jpg.5515e0d8850137848ab842056ee10b2b.jpg

I think new pick-ups might be needed as well...........................

I have no room to talk. I sold an A2/1 to a friend a couple of years ago, and when he took the loco body off to install a DCC chip, he found a great big dead spider inside!

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

You can tidy up those Ks O4s with no extreme effort if you're so minded.  Two-thirds of mine came from Ebay, the rest from the then proprietor of NuCast as spares.  It's been plodding round Grantham ever since I became involved, bent handrail and all (Sir's photo):

TW_Grantham_Nottingham_8_small.jpg.89816da6b87b28c901d9e21980865d3f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Still not a word on that picture of 61672.

I'm stumped. 

Sorry, Tony. Not really my part of the world.

Can anyone say whether that disc code indicates the GE mainline Liverpool St-Ipswich-Norwich? It certainly looks like a decent express train.

With the sun on the front end like that it looks to be heading south-ish. I did wonder if it was just leaving Norwich, with the fag end of Crown Point depot in the right background but - apparently - there's a bridge across the river at this point!

Just in case that prompts a thought or two from any more familiar with the locale ... ? I do like a good where-izzit!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Maybe he means 'delightful' in the sense I used 'fun' when referring to a Jidenco kit?

This was all my old K's ROD ended up being good for ...

IMG_3853.JPG

Is that loco still not fixed? 

Been a few years now......

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

50 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

You can tidy up those Ks O4s with no extreme effort if you're so minded.  Two-thirds of mine came from Ebay, the rest from the then proprietor of NuCast as spares.  It's been plodding round Grantham ever since I became involved, bent handrail and all (Sir's photo):

TW_Grantham_Nottingham_8_small.jpg.89816da6b87b28c901d9e21980865d3f.jpg

I spy with my little eye something beginning with T 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I have no room to talk. I sold an A2/1 to a friend a couple of years ago, and when he took the loco body off to install a DCC chip, he found a great big dead spider inside!

And the loco was Robert The Bruce. Spooky spider connection, eh?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Chamby said:

On the subject of geniuses and invention heroes, it is interesting that all those named thus far reside in the annals of history.  There is a complete dearth of modern day equivalents, at least in the realms of railways and transport engineering.  

We are surrounded by bland anonymity, regarding the characters developing our modern railway world.  Is it because the world’s focus has moved on to digital technology and commercial entrepreneurs?  Or is it that Britain just imports all its stuff from elsewhere these days? 

Edit: from a Cornish perspective, I’d add Richard Trevithick to the list as well!

Same in The Great White North.  However,  we seem to have a lot of Suits who tell anyone who will listen (or not) that they are in fact Super Geniuses (Genii?)

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Can anyone say whether that disc code indicates the GE mainline Liverpool St-Ipswich-Norwich? It certainly looks like a decent express train.

With the sun on the front end like that it looks to be heading south-ish. I did wonder if it was just leaving Norwich, with the fag end of Crown Point depot in the right background but - apparently - there's a bridge across the river at this point!

Just in case that prompts a thought or two from any more familiar with the locale ... ? I do like a good where-izzit!

Thanks Graham,

I'm amazed, with all the knowledge usually in evidence on here (myself excluded), that nobody has come up with even a guess.

The discs (usually) indicate a train travelling exclusively on the GE section. 

Could it be leaving Norwich heading south on a principal express (the carriages carry destination boards)? The 'peg' on the 'wrong' side of the line might give a clue (the distant is 'on', so the road isn't really clear). 

I thought of Lowestoft, but the exit from the main terminus is dead straight, and there's an overbridge somewhere in the vicinity there. 

Cambridge has vast buildings to the station's west, but I don't think it's there. I think there are far more tracks as well...................

Is this one of the few times when all the 'usual suspects' are baffled?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

Duplicate post!

Edited by Tony Wright

Another duplicate post.

I kept on being asked to submit.........................

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Another request, please....................

61672.jpg.b05b59a77887dbdf7d2875d6faf07c8e.jpg

Anyone know where this is? 

Large buildings in the background and to the left, and carriage sidings to the right.

The loco is either shedded at Stratford or Ipswich (no date is given, though it's high summer - the train heating pipe at the front is missing) and it's clearly a GE-section service.

Many thanks in anticipation. 

I wondered whether it might be an up train leaving Colchester for Liverpool Street.  I haven't really anything concrete to go on, but the sidings on the right look a bit strange or almost temporary.  The LNER started to rebuild Colchester station to remove the sharp curve and part of the up main line platform (now platform 3) was left in a semi completed state until BR finished the rebuilding which I think was in 1961.  So I wondered whether the mineral wagon and coach might be on what are now the up and down main lines, but incomplete and not connected at this end at the time the photo was taken, with the train running on the old alignment?  A 1958 map on the Old Maps web site shows a Works of some sort on that side of the railway, to the London end off Colchester station - not sure whether this link will work:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/598254/227003/10/101324

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, 31A said:

I wondered whether it might be an up train leaving Colchester for Liverpool Street.  I haven't really anything concrete to go on, but the sidings on the right look a bit strange or almost temporary.  The LNER started to rebuild Colchester station to remove the sharp curve and part of the up main line platform (now platform 3) was left in a semi completed state until BR finished the rebuilding which I think was in 1961.  So I wondered whether the mineral wagon and coach might be on what are now the up and down main lines, but incomplete and not connected at this end at the time the photo was taken, with the train running on the old alignment?  A 1958 map on the Old Maps web site shows a Works of some sort on that side of the railway, to the London end off Colchester station - not sure whether this link will work:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/598254/227003/10/101324

Thanks Steve,

It's as good a piece of deduction as any.....................................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

It does exude "character" though.:angel:

In the world of classic motorcycles that would be described as "an honest engine with bags of patina" :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Steve,

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

To add to Steve's suggestion of Colchester, the building to the left looks like Woods electric fan factory. Nearly got a job there, trouble was the army wouldn't release me for the date Woods wanted me to start.

As I only know Colchester post electrocution days nothing seems in the right place.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Steve,

Regards,

Tony. 

Using the same Table S, two discs in that configuration states to or from Bricklayers Arms, albeit for that one it states Lamps to be carried throughout day or night. 

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Using the same Table S, two discs in that configuration states to or from Bricklayers Arms, albeit for that one it states Lamps to be carried throughout day or night. 

I think two discs, one over each buffer, signifies a cross-country train on the Bournemouth road. 

Of course, the difference is that the SR denoted its trains by route, not status (many, though far apart, duplicated). 

As far as I know, discs were carried by LNER locos only if the train were running in daylight hours. Prior to dawn, or after dusk, lamps would be carried. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think two discs, one over each buffer, signifies a cross-country train on the Bournemouth road. 

Of course, the difference is that the SR denoted its trains by route, not status (many, though far apart, duplicated). 

As far as I know, discs were carried by LNER locos only if the train were running in daylight hours. Prior to dawn, or after dusk, lamps would be carried. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony, I don't pretend to understand the full ins and outs of it but the source is the LNER Southern Section Sectional Appendix (1947). A quick Google search seemed to say that "Bricklayers Arms" is/was on the former Southern but I have no idea if that's where the code refers to. It specifically says that trains carrying that code should have lamps day or night (which your photo does not show) - perhaps there are tunnels on the route it refers to?

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Hi Tony, I don't pretend to understand the full ins and outs of it but the source is the LNER Southern Section Sectional Appendix (1947). A quick Google search seemed to say that "Bricklayers Arms" is/was on the former Southern but I have no idea if that's where the code refers to. It specifically says that trains carrying that code should have lamps day or night (which your photo does not show) - perhaps there are tunnels on the route it refers to?

There were a series of headcodes used for cross London freights by all the railways. Most trains from the Great Eastern section of the LNER (and later BR Eastern Region) would access the SR via the East London line going through Thames Tunnel. Otherwise they had to traverse the North London line or Hampsted and Tottenham line and the MR line to reach the West London line before getting south of the Thames.

GNR and Midland trains going to Bicklayers Arms used the same head code but would have got the other side of the river via Snow Hill tunnel, the present day route of the Thameslink services.

Thames Tunnel was built by IKB Brunel's father, the first successful use of the tunneling shield. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

GNR and Midland trains going to Bicklayers Arms used the same head code but would have got the other side of the river via Snow Hill tunnel, the present day route of the Thameslink services.

With both ends of Snow Hill tunnel being on the north side, trains would also need to use Blackfriars bridge over the Thames to reach the south side.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Regards,

Tony. 

58 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There were a series of headcodes used for cross London freights by all the railways. Most trains from the Great Eastern section of the LNER (and later BR Eastern Region) would access the SR via the East London line going through Thames Tunnel. Otherwise they had to traverse the North London line or Hampsted and Tottenham line and the MR line to reach the West London line before getting south of the Thames.

Thames Tunnel was built by IKB Brunel's father, the first successful use of the tunneling shield. 

Apart from in the London Suburban and Norwich areas, where the headcode discs were used as a routing indication, the discs on the GE section were used in the same way as headlamps on most other parts of the railway, i.e. to indicate the class of train and the same codes applied, so one above each buffer was an Express Passenger in exactly the same way as a lamp above each buffer elsewhere.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1