Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In just over two days.......................

1690437015_KsROD.jpg.a9de4e35f3ded6fb067d8a7f312bc75f.jpg

From this............................

1949739025_KsROD08.jpg.85fcd5c865064116aff14c27a46058e8.jpg

To this..........

It's now weathered - I'll post pictures tomorrow, after its dried. 

It's clearly K's - no brakes, no lamp brackets, plus several more omissions and inaccuracies. However, I wished to retain the 'spirit' of the thing. And, on a layout, at 'stand-off' scale, let's see tomorrow. 

You are a proper artist Tony, I love that you interpret rather than slavishly replicate

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In just over two days.......................

1690437015_KsROD.jpg.a9de4e35f3ded6fb067d8a7f312bc75f.jpg

From this............................

1949739025_KsROD08.jpg.85fcd5c865064116aff14c27a46058e8.jpg

To this..........

It's now weathered - I'll post pictures tomorrow, after its dried. 

It's clearly K's - no brakes, no lamp brackets, plus several more omissions and inaccuracies. However, I wished to retain the 'spirit' of the thing. And, on a layout, at 'stand-off' scale, let's see tomorrow. 

A simple wow says it all

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Rob,

The front of the A2 (not A2/3) is not razor sharp, as you observe. Moving the camera an inch further away would have rendered it pin-sharp. 

The camera I use for 'eye level' photography is a Nikon Df, full-frame digital SLR.

I use several lenses (all Nikon - do not use anything else), including 18mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm Micro and 60mm Micro. The Micro lenses are particularly useful because of their very small apertures (typically smaller than F32). 

The dodge (if it is a dodge) is to pull back slightly from the subject matter, which automatically increases the depth of field. Because the file sizes of the images are large (the equivalent of medium format film?), the resulting image can be cropped without loss of quality.

Lighting is the ambient in the room (plenty of tubes), with pulses of fill-in flash (using a remote big Metz gun) to lift shadows.

I cannot get on with little cameras, though I cannot compete with their ability to get into tight spaces. Nor can I compete with their price!

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, you have the patience of an .... um, teacher.

I bought a few good Canon glass lenses to fit via an adaptor to my half-frame Canon EOS-M  and the resulting 50mm becoming via the adaptor something nearer 85mm (in effective 35mm sensor full frame) but the results though sharp did not please me. I became lazy and used the convenience of the small EOS-M body and an 18-55mm zoom lens (effectively I think about 32-90mm if full frame). This has given a lot of latitude in setting up and framing and yes, placing the camera back a little and subsequently cropping a little is a very useful trick if you have sufficient image quality to begin with. 

Interesting stuff and thanks again.

The one thing I didn't do was explore the options in micro lenses. 

Edited by robmcg
typo

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

You're very kind Mike,

Anyway, the dear old thing is now complete and running on LB............................

1427661010_KsROD09.jpg.7c4b13beb64bcdceb0241a65fd39b9c6.jpg

1825850592_KsROD11.jpg.044ca25c8bebe841be6ebb7a8693fc4a.jpg

1967424183_KsROD12.jpg.67457fdc33a68431d0778227231d8ef2.jpg

1816307466_KsROD13.jpg.69588b534f6d1dfb3cbab01473fda503.jpg

10153808_KsROD14.jpg.e8888194d4ae60cff7661b1ff6f92d10.jpg

If ever an old model deserved the epithet 'layout loco', I think this might be one. 

I'm reminded of a conversation I once had with the late, great Roy Jackson, during one of his open days. Someone (an obvious twit) had commented that an N5 standing at Babworth had no brakes. Roy and I were standing by the station, about a scale half a mile a way. 'Brakes! At this distance I can't even tell what (insert sexual reference here) class it is!'. The bloke said no more............

Seriously (though I find that condition difficult), were I to build an O4/3 from a new kit (say, Little Engines, were they still available) I'd make sure it had brakes, lamp brackets and that everything was as straight and true as I could manage. But, that's not the case here. Leaving Little Bytham after I'd taken the pictures, I looked back to where the loco was parked in the fiddle yard; At 25' away, yes, definitely a 'layout loco'........................

Regards,

Tony. 

Reminds me of his first words to me as he walked out of the hosue, “effing this, effing that, oh hello, right this way” effing effing effing all the way over to the room!! 

”And that’s Roy” I think you said Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

Just now, LNER4479 said:

Or the response received upon first meeting when Tony had the temerity to point out an erroneous dome on a High Dyke A3, in that endearing way of his ...

I keep hearing about the layout High Dyke, I’d love to see some photos. 

I think it was in the MRJ?

22 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

It was a brilliant layout Jesse,

Unfortunately, I never took any pictures of it. Those which were published were probably taken by Brian Monaghan, on large-format transparency.

Regards,

Tony. 

33 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

I have a copy of the article in (New) Model Railways March 1982.

Photography indeed by Brian Monaghan. Opening photo has what looks suspiciously like a K's O4 in it!

Mither me enough and I might send you an e-mail ...

I had an unfortunate experience watching that layout at a show. I was engrossed in the operation / sequence and enjoying the array of kit-built locos trundling by (hardly anything ER worth having RTR in those days) when a (kit built) WD plodded up the relief line and (correctly) came to a halt at the signal, awaiting passage out on to the ECML 'Up main' for the passage of Stoke tunnel.

However, the operator didn't seem to be able to isolate the loco there whilst he made the next move (presumably a 'fast' train passing by). Several times, the loco moved when he didn't want it to. Eventually, sheer frustration got the better of him and - without a word of a lie - gave the loco a hefty side-swipe with his hand, completely knocking it onto its side. Problem solved! 

I walked off to look at another layout ...

• Like 6
  • Funny 13

Hi Tony,

I'd brought a copy of the Snow Hill to Fenny Compton book.  It's an enjoyable and well-illustrated and captioned read.  My criticism of it, which is a consequence of it being a colour album, is that it ends up with most of the photos being within a comparatively narrow time period towards the end of steam.  And of course then most of the locos are in grimy condition and not as the GWR had intended!  Nonetheless, for us youngsters seeing the difference between carmine and maroon, for example, is interesting.

David  

Must be something wrong with my eyes. They happily  do not notice the lack of brakes, lamp irons, sand pipes etc; they tell my brain that's a nice old K's O4 pulling a long freight train. Truly a layout loco, reminded me of one I used to own. My eyes think its brilliant and so do I.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Hi Tony,

I'd brought a copy of the Snow Hill to Fenny Compton book.  It's an enjoyable and well-illustrated and captioned read.  My criticism of it, which is a consequence of it being a colour album, is that it ends up with most of the photos being within a comparatively narrow time period towards the end of steam.  And of course then most of the locos are in grimy condition and not as the GWR had intended!  Nonetheless, for us youngsters seeing the difference between carmine and maroon, for example, is interesting.

David  

It is in full colour, David,

And, generally well-reproduced.

However, I can only assume that the author had a touch of colour blindness with regard to seeing 92001 'in polished green livery' in the bottom picture on page 37!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Photography indeed by Brian Monaghan. Opening photo has what looks suspiciously like a K's O4 in it!

I had an unfortunate experience watching that layout at a show. I was engrossed in the operation / sequence and enjoying the array of kit-built locos trundling by (hardly anything ER worth having RTR in those days) when a (kit built) WD plodded up the relief line and (correctly) came to a halt at the signal, awaiting passage out on to the ECML 'Up main' for the passage of Stoke tunnel.

However, the operator didn't seem to be able to isolate the loco there whilst he made the next move (presumably a 'fast' train passing by). Several times, the loco moved when he didn't want it to. Eventually, sheer frustration got the better of him and - without a word of a lie - gave the loco a hefty side-swipe with his hand, completely knocking it onto its side. Problem solved! 

Could it be the same operator who sent a whole Pullman train scattering after it derailed on the flat crossing on Retford? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Almost certainly was as described a K's 04, Roy built a few while Gainsborough Central was in circulation and  probably some of my Airfix 16 ton mineral wagons on there as well. Was great for screaming a Deltic around!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Reminds me of his first words to me as he walked out of the hosue, “effing this, effing that, oh hello, right this way” effing effing effing all the way over to the room!! 

”And that’s Roy” I think you said Tony. 

I've heard of Andrew "Two Sheds" Jackson.  This was Roy "Tourettes" Jackson.

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

Almost certainly was as described a K's 04, Roy built a few while Gainsborough Central was in circulation and  probably some of my Airfix 16 ton mineral wagons on there as well. Was great for screaming a Deltic around!

There are a couple still on Retford today and although they look a bit rough they do run very well. I will have to get round to repainting them at some stage.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

52 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

It is in full colour, David,

And, generally well-reproduced.

However, I can only assume that the author had a touch of colour blindness with regard to seeing 92001 'in polished green livery' in the bottom picture on page 37!

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Looking at the picture, I can see why they say its in green.  Looks as though there is a reflection of the grass?  You might also want to check the caption on p233 also of 92001 which compounds the error by cross-referencing p37!

David

2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Tony,

Looking at the picture, I can see why they say its in green.  Looks as though there is a reflection of the grass?  You might also want to check the caption on p233 also of 92001 which compounds the error by cross-referencing p37!

David

I think what puzzles me most is the reference to 'lined green livery' with regard to any BR 9F, other than 92220 itself. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think I have enough O4s for now.....................

Very good selection of O4 variants Tony and they all look just as I (and you) remember them very workstained. They must have been very sound locomotives to have survived so long (although being a large class helps) and to some extent their career mirrors the NE Q6. Both survivors.

Happily the GWR bought some that lasted into the 1950s so I have one for my Basingstoke shed layout to work turn and turn about with my 28XX. Any excuse!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

If I what sorry? Mither?

Normal it’s Tony who throws the new words at me....... 

• Funny 5