Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

This is the third of the five models for our Clayton layout that I am currently finishing off.  This time its a small boilered J7.  Originally a Stirling engine, by 1930 it had been fitted with a wider Ivatt cab but otherwise was still pretty much as originally built.  This model has the same credentials as the J1: CSB suspension, American pickup, motor in tender, friction fit Gibson wheels.   

Was the J7 the smallest of all the 0-6-0 tender engines of the GNR/LNER?  It is certainly deminutive when stood next to a J1 or J3, and the tender doesn't help. 

IMG_3585.jpg.48f954ed38521cc9b2bd9619a7dfc504.jpg  

Some lovely ex GNR models you have there Frank.

I would suggest that the J7 had altered a bit more than just the cab since it was new. They originally ran with a domeless boiler, which alters the appearance greatly. They are indeed tiny locos and when you look at what came later, it is hard to imagine that at one time they were regarded as the heavy freight locos of their day.

Malcolm Crawley built one with the Stirling cab and domeless boiler in GNR livery and that really shows up the antiquity of the design.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello PupCam

I'm sorry to disappoint, but the answer is 'no'.

The background to my enquiry was partly that I train-spotted at Potters Bar in the late 50s/early 60s but don't have any recollection of seeing a J50 go through. My note books were all thrown out, so I have no reference point and I don't recall seeing any photos either.

The other part to my enquiry was that I am fortunate to have two layouts - one at 'normal' waist level, with the other above at my eye level. This is 25ft x 10ft in the form of a folded dog-bone and permits just over 20 trains ranging from 10-coach expresses to humble pick-up freights. One side of the room is 'scenic' double-track with a small station and goods yard - akin to Welwyn North.

The station can purport to be 'somewhere on the S&D', or 'somewhere on the Liverpool Street-Cambridge main line' or 'somewhere like Welwyn North' dependent on what stock I run.

Being a fan of the J50, I wondered if anyone could offer proof of any passing through so that I can 'justify' running my models.  But I can always apply Rule 1 and run what I want anyway!

Before signing off, I don't read of many people having 'eye level layouts' although they seem more common in  the USA. There were many reasons for me going eye level, one of the principal ones being that - as the fascia is slightly undulating and lined with 'bushes' (lichen) - I can't actually see the track. This meant that I didn't have to ballast it!

Back in the 1970s, I was a sales rep travelling around the Welwyn area. When time permitted, I would have my 'flask and sandwiches' parked up at Welwyn North just off the viaduct so as to see the 1300 from King's Cross hurtle through.

Brian

Brian,

I am also partial to a J50 and wanted to find an excuse to run one on my Gresley Jn layout which is freelance but with a timetable based on that at Hatfield in 1958. The only pictures I found of one north of Hornsey were on the Barnet coal gas trip (e.g. p165 of Tuffrey Book of the GN vol 1). This wouldn’t quite get you to Welwyn North but it’s a start!

I solved the problem by having a gas works in one corner of my layout and using a J50 to run the trip goods to that.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mark54 said:

Hi Tony,

I think that might be approaching the old Stevenage station and the bridge in the background would be the Stevenage Bypass then under construction, and now part of the A1(M).

11 hours ago, PupCam said:

Which would be approximately this ......  

I'm not 100% convinced but a first Google Maps helicopter flight up and down the line hasn't revealed any better candidates :unknw_mini:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.9189287,-0.2212843,156a,35y,5.57h,77.34t/data=!3m1!1e3

This is the view from the "new" A602 looking south, the A1M bridge is the one furthest away

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.927657,-0.2255164,3a,30y,150.06h,93.85t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3LjMbPrnF1hgs6envsW2IA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D3LjMbPrnF1hgs6envsW2IA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D187.05182%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

A1M v Railway.jpg

Overnight, our little LNER chat group also confirm that this is the A1M bridge to the north of Stevenage ... just south of the Penny farthing footbridge at Todd’s Green ..

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, robmcg said:

You are very kind Tony to describe the equipment and settings you use so very well, I must add, uniquely well.

I can think of no other photographer who can obtain the results you achieve, especially with single-shot methods.

Unlike you I understand photo stacking, in fact the latest cameras will do it for you, if you can find the commands on the menu. They will also cook you a fine meal if you can find the control sub-menu.  I do stacking manually and prefer the dictates of my eye over a program.

Your cameras and lenses confirm for me that you have to have top equipment, and i have enjoyed confirming this in the last few days, whether the best be Nikon or Canon 45-50MP full frame.  There are some options with less outlay, but most of the 'improvements' are all about 'interconnectivity', video speeds, and all sorts of irrelevant things if the aim is great photos of model railways.  They use words like 'rethink' and soon they will use 'improved optionalities'. There are people out there who have to have the latest cameras and 8 lenses, and photography is simply a test of camera capability, nothing much to do with beauty or art.

However you can buy a new 34 Megapixel Canon M-series camera for about UKP700 with a fairly good 15-45mm or 22-74mm (35mm equiv.) lens   it's the Canon M6 MkII with 15-45mm , about as good as you can get with anything less than full frame and micro lenses. It will take RAW or JPEG images 6900 x 4500 pixels which gives some room for cropping without excessive loss of definition.. These smaller format cameras can use older full frame lenses via an adaptor ring. 

Trouble is that my current 'old' 2015 camera, an 18MP EOS-M, is nearly as good as a new 24MP M200 or maybe a 34MP M6 MkII, and I am lazy, the M6 MkII has different batteries and so on, but lenses would intermix,   It may be fun to try something new. I have a micro lens for my cameras coming, regardless.  My cameras will currently go to F36 and we shall see what happens.

The one thing I suspect many readers like about your photography Tony is that it is a fine expression of art, the techniques would be invisible to many. 

Just for interest here is an example of my camera on F36 and some sharpening....  not a patch on an express roaring through Little Bytham!

Img_3058abcdefg_r2080.jpg.a695f22ac3162ef8b6523f9b8a5184e4.jpg

Thanks again for your reply.

Thanks for your kind Comments, Rob,

I think a lot of what I do is intuitive, and every 'automatic' function on the cameras is switched off.

That's a very impressive shot of 60512!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Brian,

I am also partial to a J50 and wanted to find an excuse to run one on my Gresley Jn layout which is freelance but with a timetable based on that at Hatfield in 1958. The only pictures I found of one north of Hornsey were on the Barnet coal gas trip (e.g. p165 of Tuffrey Book of the GN vol 1). This wouldn’t quite get you to Welwyn North but it’s a start!

I solved the problem by having a gas works in one corner of my layout and using a J50 to run the trip goods to that.

Regards

Andy

Good morning Andy,

Assuming any J50s (and other tanks) were shopped at Doncaster, in order to get back to Hornsey they'd have to travel (at least in part) along the ECML.

It's for that reason why I run an ex-works N2 light engine through Little Bytham, heading south. It reminds me once of a visit by an acolyte of the DCC faith who stated that, 'With DCC, you could park a loco anywhere on Little Bytham without the need for isolating sections. The yard shunter, for instance'. I merely smiled.................... 

I admit, I never saw a J50 doing such a thing as running light engine along the main line; just shunting at Doncaster and Retford (usually the former).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iain.d said:

On the last page or two there has been some great images and modelling of 2F/3F and 2P locos. Similarly to Compound2632, I have a fondness for the simple elegance and aesthetics of these engines.

A while back I bought this part built Alan Gibson 2F because I wanted the tender to do  an upgrade on an old Triang 3F loco. But now I’m keen to strip down and redo the whole kit as a Somerset & Dorset 2F/3F ‘Scottie’ of about 1920 vintage. I kept an early 1990s BRM with an article on Midsomer Norton in the Edwardian period (photographs by Tony Wright) and it would appear that this kit was used to build a model of S&DJR no 72.

1762073254_AG2F.jpg.2f2dc150f5bf7b4e342825b1cf410056.jpg

To that end, would anyone be able to help me with a set of Gibson instructions? While I can work out what most things are, and relate them to a dated photograph, there are multiple options of some parts, particularly the small castings and etchings. The historical information in AG instructions is pretty good too.

1205724825_AG2F(2).jpg.ffbb0e1c821f215c4fe0d9be7873b0d3.jpg

I did place a request on one of the RMWeb help pages, but have not received a response – admittedly it was only earlier in the week, but with the coincidence of locos on here I thought it would be opportune to seek assistance again.

Kind regards,

Iain

Good morning Iain,

'I kept an early 1990s BRM with an article on Midsomer Norton in the Edwardian period (photographs by Tony Wright)'

That would be the very first issue of BRM. Behind it lies an interesting story. 

With less than a fortnight before publication, I drove down from Wolverhampton to Portsmouth, and took the pictures of Midsomer Norton in the evening. After staying overnight in a modest guest house, I set off early in the morning to get the trannies to Colab (in Wolverhampton) by 9.00 am. They were then processed by 4.00 pm, whereupon I sorted them and then sent them by registered post to Bourne, to arrive the next day. They were then scanned and the results published. 

There was definitely no second chance!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 6

TENDERS

Could I ask for some help please.  I am researching LSWR tenders in the 1870 - 80s and need to do some comparatives. 

First Sharp Stewart locomotives, because I would like to determine whether the tenders for the W G Beattie '348' class were a Nine Elms design or from Sharp Steward stock.

Second William Adams tenders on the Great Eastern Railway, because I should like to determine the extent to which Beyer Peacock influenced his standard design.

I've already had a delve on the Webby thing.  Bill

J50 on the ECML

I seem to remember in one of Eric sawford's books a picture of a J50 light engine on a Sunday taking water at Huntingdon on it's way to Doncaster for scrapping I think. I have also seen at least one photo of a Hornsey J50 on Doncaster MPD post overhaul so presumably it will have gone back to Hornsey light engine

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Iain,

'I kept an early 1990s BRM with an article on Midsomer Norton in the Edwardian period (photographs by Tony Wright)'

That would be the very first issue of BRM. Behind it lies an interesting story. 

With less than a fortnight before publication, I drove down from Wolverhampton to Portsmouth, and took the pictures of Midsomer Norton in the evening. After staying overnight in a modest guest house, I set off early in the morning to get the trannies to Colab (in Wolverhampton) by 9.00 am. They were then processed by 4.00 pm, whereupon I sorted them and then sent them by registered post to Bourne, to arrive the next day. They were then scanned and the results published. 

There was definitely no second chance!

Regards,

Tony.  

Hello Tony,

Indeed it was edition one! I only know that now as you’ve said but also on page 18 (last page of the Midsomer Norton article) it says ‘In Issue No2 of BRM we take an in depth look at ….’  I bought my copy in WH Smith in Edinburgh, I missed edition 2 mind. The loco below is what I hope to make the Alan Gibson 2F a couple of posts above look something like; mine won't be as good, but it will be mine.

I cut out the Midsomer Norton article – it forms part of my ‘dream and inspiration’ reference material for my future once in a lifetime layout! Below is the first scanned page of the article. I will remove if it is not allowed to be reproduced.

334201221_BRMNo1.jpg.ee85f817d145539e825a072e76000763.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Could I ask for some help please.  I am researching LSWR tenders in the 1870 - 80s and need to do some comparatives. 

Dear B Bishop,

Have you tried contacting the South Western Circle?

https://www.lswr.org/

They have a wealth of detail on all matters South Western including an excellent range of books and profiles. In addition, I have a copy of The Oakwood Press The London and South Western Complied by M Sharman. This has a series of 7mm scale drawings of SW Locomotives and tenders from around 1850 until the 1880s. They seem to be first class although most of the drawings relate to Nine Elms built locomotives.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Tony - sorry for the Southern intrusion!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

The background to my enquiry was partly that I train-spotted at Potters Bar in the late 50s/early 60s but don't have any recollection of seeing a J50 go through. My note books were all thrown out, so I have no reference point and I don't recall seeing any photos either.

Oh that's a shame but never mind!    A model of Welwyn North and Welwyn  Viaduct crossing the mighty River Mimram (PupCam being a founder member   of the Mimram Modellers) would be quite a thing!

Before signing off, I don't read of many people having 'eye level layouts' although they seem more common in  the USA. There were many reasons for me going eye level, one of the principal ones being that - as the fascia is slightly undulating and lined with 'bushes' (lichen) - I can't actually see the track. This meant that I didn't have to ballast it!

I'm a firm believer that you usually get the best views of a model railway from the "Eye Level" position and thus it seems eminently sensible to arrange a static, home layout to suit the individual.    Just look at the array of Tony's photographs of LB from this view point to confirm this.

I do think though for purely practical purposes and fairness to the general public  that exhibition layouts should be far more modest in the altitude department.    Being short of stature myself I recall being frustrated that I couldn't see the beautiful Totness layout properly when we had it at St Albans years ago because the nominal baseboard edge was higher than my eye line :(     Perhaps the most extreme example of this situation  I remember was seeing Woolverstone somewhere (Scaleforum maybe?) and Ian Rice was actually standing on a plastic milk bottle crate or similar just so that he could see to operate it.    Needless to say, Puppers has never really had the opportunity to study Woolverstone!      Of course an individual can always bend down to get the eye level perspective whereas wearing stilts to visit an exhibition is generally frowned upon.

Back in the 1970s, I was a sales rep travelling around the Welwyn area. When time permitted, I would have my 'flask and sandwiches' parked up at Welwyn North just off the viaduct so as to see the 1300 from King's Cross hurtle through.

Funny enough, having spent many years of my working life in Stevenage for a change of scene at lunchtimes I used to jump in the car and drive to a lay-by near the ECML in Little Wymondley to eat my sandwiches and watch the trains go by.   That lay-by is just outside the top left corner of the Google Maps aerial photograph I posted in response to Tony's question.     I remember years ago one Monday I was wondering that, if by chance, I'd be lucky enough to see SNG going home as it had worked a steam special to Kings Cross the previous day.    I noticed a chap prowling around on the bridge with a camera (always a dead giveaway) and  I thought I was definitely in with a chance.    Anyway,  a short time afterwards a strange yellow track maintenance type train went past in which he seemed particularly interested and after it had gone so did he!    Needless to say there was absolutely no sign of SNG and then it was time to return to the daily grind  :huh:

Alan

• Like 3

Richard, I am a member of the SWC and am responsible for the curation their photographic collections.    Obviously I have access to lots of photographs, but am trying to trace the antecedents to the '348' and the standard Adams tender.

The '348' tenders are unlike the standard Joseph Beattie 1950 gall design (or the 2000 gall derivative).  Were they a Nine Elms design or Sharp Stewart stock?

The early Adams tender locomotives were built by Beyer Peacock.  Adams introduced a new design of tender to the LSWR.  Was it a GER design imported from Stratford or was it influenced by Beyer Peacock?

Bill

2 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Hello Tony,

Indeed it was edition one! I only know that now as you’ve said but also on page 18 (last page of the Midsomer Norton article) it says ‘In Issue No2 of BRM we take an in depth look at ….’  I bought my copy in WH Smith in Edinburgh, I missed edition 2 mind. The loco below is what I hope to make the Alan Gibson 2F a couple of posts above look something like; mine won't be as good, but it will be mine.

I cut out the Midsomer Norton article – it forms part of my ‘dream and inspiration’ reference material for my future once in a lifetime layout! Below is the first scanned page of the article. I will remove if it is not allowed to be reproduced.

334201221_BRMNo1.jpg.ee85f817d145539e825a072e76000763.jpg

Kind regards,

Iain

Good afternoon Iain,

There shouldn't be the slightest problem on displaying the page on here (the pictures are my copyright). 

I shot the layout on transparency (there'll be in BRM's archive), so I can't post any images on here. Looking at that lead picture, the lack of a crew shouts out. Were I to take a picture today, I'd avoid such a view. I think the locos were painted by Steve Barnfield, so they look very good indeed.

From memory, the layout was in EM, but I believe it was subsequently converted to P4. I wonder where it is now?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Andy,

Assuming any J50s (and other tanks) were shopped at Doncaster, in order to get back to Hornsey they'd have to travel (at least in part) along the ECML.

It's for that reason why I run an ex-works N2 light engine through Little Bytham, heading south. It reminds me once of a visit by an acolyte of the DCC faith who stated that, 'With DCC, you could park a loco anywhere on Little Bytham without the need for isolating sections. The yard shunter, for instance'. I merely smiled.................... 

I admit, I never saw a J50 doing such a thing as running light engine along the main line; just shunting at Doncaster and Retford (usually the former).

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

I agree that a light engine would be an excuse to use a J50 but I tend to like my locos to be doing something productive. I have one light engine movement in my sequence which is in the WTT I use. It was a Ferme Park to New England movement and I assume it was a returning coal loco.

Andy

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello PupCam

The other part to my enquiry was that I am fortunate to have two layouts - one at 'normal' waist level, with the other above at my eye level. This is 25ft x 10ft in the form of a folded dog-bone and permits just over 20 trains ranging from 10-coach expresses to humble pick-up freights. One side of the room is 'scenic' double-track with a small station and goods yard - akin to Welwyn North.

The station can purport to be 'somewhere on the S&D', or 'somewhere on the Liverpool Street-Cambridge main line' or 'somewhere like Welwyn North' dependent on what stock I run.

Being a fan of the J50, I wondered if anyone could offer proof of any passing through so that I can 'justify' running my models.  But I can always apply Rule 1 and run what I want anyway!

Brian

Brian,

As no one has come up with any proof of seeing J50's at Welwyn North in '59/'60, I will just give you my opinion if I may. 

I was at K.X. top shed on loan in just the two years you ask about. I have to say that I don't recall seeing a J50 beyond Wood Green even, let alone Welwyn. It's a long time ago and I'm quite possibly wrong of course. Interestingly I was sent on a few occasions from top shed to Hornsey shed to go with one of their drivers over on to the southern to Battersea I think it was.   

Regards, Roy.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Roy - appreciated.

I think I will have to make do with either a Light Engine going to Works or - if I get a breakdown crane one day - I'll 'stretch reality' and use it on that.

Did you happen to know a chap named Vic Henson? He was the husband of a friend of my mum; I think he was on the admin side.

Brian

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Iain,

There shouldn't be the slightest problem on displaying the page on here (the pictures are my copyright). 

I shot the layout on transparency (there'll be in BRM's archive), so I can't post any images on here. Looking at that lead picture, the lack of a crew shouts out. Were I to take a picture today, I'd avoid such a view. I think the locos were painted by Steve Barnfield, so they look very good indeed.

From memory, the layout was in EM, but I believe it was subsequently converted to P4. I wonder where it is now?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, Iain

I've emailed the author of the article, Tony Sullivan, to see if he knows what happened to the layout and also for the origin of the model shown in the photo.

Jol

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Many thanks Roy - appreciated.

I think I will have to make do with either a Light Engine going to Works or - if I get a breakdown crane one day - I'll 'stretch reality' and use it on that.

Did you happen to know a chap named Vic Henson? He was the husband of a friend of my mum; I think he was on the admin side.

Brian

I'm afraid I can't recall the name of Vic Henson Brian. I was just a spare fireman on loan from Grantham to Top Shed. Got to know a fair few people but mainly footplatemen. I really enjoyed my time there firing all the time whereas I would have only been cleaning most of the time at Grantham, being a young hand of 17/18, and the cockney drivers were such a laugh, most of them.

As you say, you could run a J50 through your layout now and then. It's your railway, as they say.

Roy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Overnight, our little LNER chat group also confirm that this is the A1M bridge to the north of Stevenage ... just south of the Penny farthing footbridge at Todd’s Green ..

I'm with PupCam - I'm not entirely convinced: the A1(M) bridge has quite a skew and nowhere near at a right angle to the railway; I would lean towards the A602 Stevenage-Hitchin road instead ie the one  from which the view over the parapet was taken.  I live just off the edge of the Google map - I'll try and take a trip out to the Chantry Lane bridge and from there compare its' construction; it's a bit more difficult to get a better view of the A1 bridge.  Zoom in closer and you might see my wife's car at the riding stables...!!

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mark C said:

I would lean towards the A602 Stevenage-Hitchin road instead ie the one  from which the view over the parapet was taken.

I don't think so Mark as the photograph pre-dates the building of the Little Wymondley bypass (i.e. the A602 at this point). 

What caused the original doubt in my mind was I couldn't recall the depth of the cutting at the point of the photograph, however the reasonably contemporary OS Map from the period (attached) seems to imply a reasonable cutting there and the woods behind on "Spoil Bank".      Looking at the candidate bridge now to compare with the photograph probably won't help as no doubt it was rebuilt and raised when the line was electrified in the 70's.

Nevertheless it's good fun trying to be a Railway Detective!

4 hours ago, Mark C said:

Zoom in closer and you might see my wife's car at the riding stables...!!

Belated apologies to your wife if she used to take horses down to or back from the lower field alongside the line if there was some bloke parked up in the way at the field entrance in a Mondeo eating his sandwiches 5 or 6 years ago :whistle:

Alan

A1M - Railway OS Map.jpg

Edited by PupCam
Formatting
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Theakerr said:

I am close to finishing my Nu-Cast J6 and wondered if anyone know of a source for the cab roof mounted whistle.   The one supplied is rather crude and because of its location will be highly visible.  Thanks

John at London Road Models will sell spare parts. I bought 4 lost wax brass sprues from his C12 kit with whistles included.

An alternative is to turn one from a piece of brass rod held in the chuck of a drill, using files. They are not too bad.

Andrew

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

I don't think so Mark as the photograph pre-dates the building of the Little Wymondley bypass (i.e. the A602 at this point). 

What caused the original doubt in my mind was I couldn't recall the depth of the cutting at the point of the photograph, however the reasonably contemporary OS Map from the period (attached) seems to imply a reasonable cutting there and the woods behind on "Spoil Bank".      Looking at the candidate bridge now to compare with the photograph probably won't help as no doubt it was rebuilt and raised when the line was electrified in the 70's.

Nevertheless it's good fun trying to be a Railway Detective!

Belated apologies to your wife if she used to take horses down to or back from the lower field alongside the line if there was some bloke parked up in the way at the field entrance in a Mondeo eating his sandwiches 5 or 6 years ago :whistle:

Alan

A1M - Railway OS Map.jpg

Alan - yes, you're right about the Wymondley bypass and the electrification works to a lot of the bridges....the angle in the photo just doesn't look right, but it could be a trick on the eye....

Don't worry - she's used to sitting in seemingly random places close to railway lines....!!

Regards

Mark 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Theakerr said:

I am close to finishing my Nu-Cast J6 and wondered if anyone know of a source for the cab roof mounted whistle.   The one supplied is rather crude and because of its location will be highly visible.  Thanks

You could try Markits. Mark Arscott does a wide range of turned-brass whistles. 

You'll probably have to order more than just a whistle because, as far as I'm aware, it's not worth him processing orders under £10.00.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1