Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

16 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Apologies Tony - I've reduced myself to being a mere box opener ...

DSC01142.JPG.f3294cd4cdb4452163bcd93a27fdc463.JPG

Does look rather at home though, doesn't it?

My goodness, what riches we have at our disposal these days. As you often say, what's left to kit / scratchbuild, other than for the very fun of doing it?

For me, it's all about the setting with this train and there's other rolling stock items I can focus on (eg sleeper vehicles) and just enjoy the overall visual impact of the Coro Scot on the layout. I intend bringing this along with us when exhibitions resume. Loco needs a bit of work, mind - it's a previous era Hornby offering. I had to economise somewhere!

More pictures on my layout thread if anyone's interested

(This picture is about the closest angle and positioning I could get to the classic LMS Norman Wilkinson poster. If anyone fancies a 'go' at it they're more than welcome...)

That is stunning. I wonder if we ever see an equivalent ECML train?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

My goodness, what riches we have at our disposal these days. As you often say, what's left to kit / scratchbuild, other than for the very fun of doing it?

For me, it's all about the setting with this train and there's other rolling stock items I can focus on (eg sleeper vehicles) and just enjoy the overall visual impact of the Coro Scot on the layout. I intend bringing this along with us when exhibitions resume. Loco needs a bit of work, mind - it's a previous era Hornby offering. I had to economise somewhere!

(This picture is about the closest angle and positioning I could get to the classic LMS Norman Wilkinson poster. If anyone fancies a 'go' at it they're more than welcome...)

Now that looks the part.. drop dead gorgeous with a cherry on the top as they used to say...A picture of power and speed...

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, davidw said:

Only a fool would bet against it these days, especially if this one sells well.

Of course, these particular vehicles do have a wider potential in normal service LMS and BR liveries, the kitchen cars in particular. For the other vehicles, the roofs have the PV ducting as part of an integral roof moulding so not quite so straightforward for those vehicles ... but maybe Hornby have 'designed clever' in that regard?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, davidw said:

I was on a group call, last night and we were speculating if we would see either a full GWR Centenary train or a complete Torbay Express composed of 1929 stock. We settled on the Torbay as the stock was used in general service, after a while with more options for livery variations and sales possibilities. It could have been because they all knew I had made the complete Torbay from kit builds, just to wind me up.:D

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Only a fool would bet against it these days, especially if this one sells well.

Of course, these particular vehicles do have a wider potential in normal service LMS and BR liveries, the kitchen cars in particular. For the other vehicles, the roofs have the PV ducting as part of an integral roof moulding so not quite so straightforward for those vehicles ... but maybe Hornby have 'designed clever' in that regard?

On a previous Hornby Engine shed blog the trial images showed the 65' diner with normal service vents. Looks like they are planning ahead.

Scroll down to the RFO

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/1937-present-day-wcml-lms-coronation-scot-coaches-and-avanti-west-coast-pendolino-sets

Interesting how the GWR coaches feature (not cropped out) in the Severn Valley Shots?????

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Who knows David?

As far as I'm aware (meaning I've not been asked for help) there is nothing on any RTR radar to suggest that the LNER streamliners are being considered, but they'd be mighty fine things if they were.

Though the LNER streamliners never ran as dedicated sets after the war, all the cars were used in BR days (apart from two pairs destroyed by fire at Doncaster - not war-related), in some cases running in named trains. Trains such as 'The Master Cutler', 'The South Yorkshireman', 'The Talisman', 'The West Riding' and the round-about 'Fife Coast Express'. The ex-Silver Jubilee' catering triplet was employed in a fast Newcastle-Kings Cross service throughout the '50s, and the two ex-Coronation Observation Cars were used on specials and in The Highlands, in both original and rebuilt form. 

The big difference between the LNER streamliners and the first LMS 'Coronation Scot' was that the former were entirely new trains; not just standard existing cars dressed up with pressure ventilation and a different coat of paint. The later 'Coronation Scot', the one which went to America and was marooned because of the War, was a different concept, but it never ran as a dedicated rake in service. Some of the cars were used post-War - one of the rear ones seeing service in the 'North Wales Land Cruises' sets. 

Kits have existed for making the LNER streamlined cars for many years....................255319766_09A42509onSilverJubileeHornby.jpg.e17fac6f2c661dc2ee78b8219474eb13.jpg

Geoff Haynes made/painted this Marc Models 'Silver Jubilee' rake for the late John Brown of Spalding MRC. It's in the original seven-car configuration, and the Hornby A4 has been repainted to suit. Unfortunately, it tows the wrong type of tender. 

862723847_Trainsrunning07TheSilverJubilee.jpg.33a77a2423a60d03f09a8e12767c678a.jpg

This is a Mailcoach SJ, which runs on Grantham and ran three years ago on Little Bytham during the LNER weekend. I think it's fair to say it has 'ride-height' issues.........................

I've made several of the Mailcoach ex-LNER streamliners.....................

1538442469_Mailcoachex-SilverJubileetriplet.jpg.a1531ed67bd1d3a7337f2ec14737eb57.jpg

The ex-'Silver Jubilee' catering triplet.

1016675188_AfternoonTalisman01.jpg.1c9959a02ef4153b9da56838865e7409.jpg

And the ex-'Coronation' twin FOs (the third and fourth cars) for service in the afternoon 'Talisman'.

1851461349_Trains07TheWestRiding.jpg.73f677b95bc73f401872b937340f6ce2.jpg

As well as the ex-LNER 'West Riding' BSO/SO and RK/RSO artics for use in the BR 'West Riding'.

1442398336_WestRiding.jpg.1dd8b6b0610479d1f17a7dbc92a77658.jpg

Their different roof profiles can be seen in this elevated shot.

I admit to not having fitted the extra doors to these cars. In my defence, they were built long before such things were widely known. 

307466993_Retford11A3onTalisman.jpg.f639d9d20822f6d5f8858d20a4204b33.jpg

Ex-'Coronation' twin FOs run in Retford's 'Talisman' (the 5th and 6th cars), but these are made of metal, not plastic. 

It would be nice to think that (one day) the fantastic LNER streamliners might be available RTR. The 'Coronations', the 'West Riding' and the spare set would probably make the most sense, since all four rakes were the same consist (apart from the summer-only Observation Cars in the 'Coronation'). The raised lettering might present a problem for BR days, though the spare set just had roof boards. 

As I say, who knows?

Regards,

Tony. 

Good morning Tony,

Many thanks for such comprehensive answer. I wasn't specifically fishing, merely musing. Having seen the representations in your  photos of the dedicated trains. The later liveries in the flesh on LB there would certainly be a wow factor to such vehicles for a manufacturer.

That said I'm sure there's demand for maroon Thompson's. I'm aware that Isinglass is looking at Pantry Third and hopefully others.

Regards

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It would be nice to think that (one day) the fantastic LNER streamliners might be available RTR. The 'Coronations', the 'West Riding' and the spare set would probably make the most sense, since all four rakes were the same consist (apart from the summer-only Observation Cars in the 'Coronation'). The raised lettering might present a problem for BR days, though the spare set just had roof boards.

Not to mention the mother of all NRM gift shop special editions: 4468 + NER dynamometer car + 6-car Coronation spare-set. Perhaps complete with 1:76 Duddington driver figure with his cap on backwards...

• Like 7

21 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

It looks mightily-impressive, Graham!

Is it sold as a complete rake? The reason I ask is were the individual cars 'scattered' post-War, as was the case with the LNER streamliners?

And, was there commonality of types between these cars and the 'standard' LMS contemporaries? Other than the pressure ventilation ducting on the roofs (and the livery, of course), were they much different? 

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

255319766_09A42509onSilverJubileeHornby.jpg.e17fac6f2c661dc2ee78b8219474eb13.jpg

Geoff Haynes made/painted this Marc Models 'Silver Jubilee' rake for the late John Brown of Spalding MRC. It's in the original seven-car configuration, and the Hornby A4 has been repainted to suit. Unfortunately, it tows the wrong type of tender. 

That would be this set Tony (running on my layout, Gresley Jn) which you sold to me. It's out of period for me but I do rather like it!

• Like 13

Gentlemen and Ladies,

For you J6 models whose decals did you use for the cab numbers?  I think I have to get some white numbers.  However, about 30 minutes ago I saw a J6 on a Scaleforum video with cream numbers and now would appreciate comments on whether the numbers should be white or cream.

Thanks

Edited by Theakerr
added more after wathcing a video on Scaleforum 2021

14 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

That would be this set Tony (running on my layout, Gresley Jn) which you sold to me. It's out of period for me but I do rather like it!

Thanks Andy,

I'd forgotten to whom I sold it.

An RTR set from Hornby in the future? Who knows?

I've got the Marc Models twin 1st to build, but it'll be without the skirts and in maroon. Simple, especially since it wasn't lined. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Is it sold as a complete rake? The reason I ask is were the individual cars 'scattered' post-War, as was the case with the LNER streamliners?

The coaches are sold individually, although retailers might sell them as a rake. But Hornby have clearly catered for people buying them as a rake as some of the vehicles are the same type (namely the two Kitchen Cars and three Third Opens) but carrying different numbers so 'well done' Hornby. As far as I'm aware, the vehicles were all returned to normal service post war. I just read over the last 24 hours that two of the kitchen cars were actually converted into inspection saloons, one of which survives to this day.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

And, was there commonality of types between these cars and the 'standard' LMS contemporaries? Other than the pressure ventilation ducting on the roofs (and the livery, of course), were they much different? 

ALL of the vehicles were to standard LMS diagrams; none were built specially for the train (unlike the 1939 train which was specially designed). It was just the PV equipment that was fitted additionally (carpets and curtains as well, no doubt). To be exact:

Brake Corridor First (BFK) to D1910

Corridor First (FK) to D1930

Restaurant Open First (RFO) to D1902

Kitchen Car (RK) to D1912

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Brake Corridor Third (BTK) to D1905

Again, I've read the rather nice story over the last 24 hours that Hornby were unsure about aspects of the RFO vehicle; fortunately, one survives as part of the gorgeous LMS rake on the Severn Valley Railway so they just popped down there to check it out. So, yes, just standard vehicles.

Of note, is that the PV ducting on the models is integral moulded as part of the roof so not just a straightforward re-livery to revert to standard use vehicles. It remains to be seen what Hornby have planned in that regard. The Kitchen Cars, however, have no PV equipment so they would appear to be easiest to make generally available ... and what a great vehicle that would be for more realistic LMS/LMR train formations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

56 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

The coaches are sold individually, although retailers might sell them as a rake. But Hornby have clearly catered for people buying them as a rake as some of the vehicles are the same type (namely the two Kitchen Cars and three Third Opens) but carrying different numbers so 'well done' Hornby. As far as I'm aware, the vehicles were all returned to normal service post war. I just read over the last 24 hours that two of the kitchen cars were actually converted into inspection saloons, one of which survives to this day.

ALL of the vehicles were to standard LMS diagrams; none were built specially for the train (unlike the 1939 train which was specially designed). It was just the PV equipment that was fitted additionally (carpets and curtains as well, no doubt). To be exact:

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Again, I've read the rather nice story over the last 24 hours that Hornby were unsure about aspects of the RFO vehicle; fortunately, one survives as part of the gorgeous LMS rake on the Severn Valley Railway so they just popped down there to check it out. So, yes, just standard vehicles.

Of note, is that the PV ducting on the models is integral moulded as part of the roof so not just a straightforward re-livery to revert to standard use vehicles. It remains to be seen what Hornby have planned in that regard. The Kitchen Cars, however, have no PV equipment so they would appear to be easiest to make generally available ... and what a great vehicle that would be for more realistic LMS/LMR train formations.

The brake firsts and corridor firsts were built new for the trains as there were no spares available for conversion. The others were conversions of existing carriages but they were given new diagram numbers on account of the pressure ventilation and other differences. Although all nine were conversions, the open thirds were the only 42-seat examples to the so-called 'Period III' styling. The kitchen cars were standard apart from the livery.

All of the stock could be made in three other liveries: LMS post-war crimson lake (the stock was restored to general service in 1947), BR crimson and cream and BR maroon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Ex-'Coronation' twin FOs run in Retford's 'Talisman' (the 5th and 6th cars), but these are made of metal, not plastic. 

As I say, who knows?

Regards,

Tony. 

Strange how dated this photo looks already even though it was only taken last year. The engines now have lamps, the Talisman has a headboard and the last carriage has been replaced with a matching maroon one taken from The West Riding (where it was replaced with a Hornby one) as when Sandra purchased Retford, the last carriage of the Talisman was mysteriously missing.

If Hornby ever does another run of the Coronation Scot stock in pre-war livery, they can do the 1938 version without the carriage boards and with the train's name painted on the carriage sides.

I gather from a couple of retailers that sales of the stock have been strong, which is excellent news. Doubtless bolstered by people like me who have bought the full set even though it's significantly out of my modelling period.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I would be interested to know which etches Roy used for the ex-streamliner stock on Retford. They are, as Tony notes, of metal construction and the three Coronation/West Riding ones have been modified to include the additional doors. As well as the twin first in the Talisman, there are a brake second/second twin and a second/kitchen second twin in the West Riding and the Silver Jubilee dining triplet in crimson and cream is also present in a Newcastle-King's Cross set. When Sandra acquired the layout, a part-built brake second/kitchen second twin, already painted crimson and cream, stabled in a siding. This seemed slightly odd given that none of those pairs would have been seen regularly on the southern end of the ECML.

Hopefully, before too long, another second/kitchen second twin, this time a Mailcoach kit, will also appear on Retford.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robertcwp said:

The brake firsts and corridor firsts were built new for the trains as there were no spares available for conversion. The others were conversions of existing carriages but they were given new diagram numbers on account of the pressure ventilation and other differences. Although all nine were conversions, the open thirds were the only 42-seat examples to the so-called 'Period III' styling. The kitchen cars were standard apart from the livery.

All of the stock could be made in three other liveries: LMS post-war crimson lake (the stock was restored to general service in 1947), BR crimson and cream and BR maroon.

Good morning Robert,

Were any of the ex-'Coronation Scot' carriages employed in named trains on the WCML post-War? 

The reason I ask is that photographs of the ex-LNER streamlined stock in post-War prestige trains are not hard to find, yet I can't recall seeing pictures of the LMS PV cars in trains. 

Were the Kitchen Cars employed in 'The Caledonian'?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error

5 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I would be interested to know which etches Roy used for the ex-streamliner stock on Retford. They are, as Tony notes, of metal construction and the three Coronation/West Riding ones have been modified to include the additional doors. As well as the twin first in the Talisman, there are a brake second/second twin and a second/kitchen second twin in the West Riding and the Silver Jubilee dining triplet in crimson and cream is also present in a Newcastle-King's Cross set. When Sandra acquired the layout, a part-built brake second/kitchen second twin, already painted crimson and cream, stabled in a siding. This seemed slightly odd given that none of those pairs would have been seen regularly on the southern end of the ECML.

Hopefully, before too long, another second/kitchen second twin, this time a Mailcoach kit, will also appear on Retford.

Though I'm not entirely sure, they might well be D&S ones, Robert.

The memory crumbles, but I seem to recall Roy telling me that Danny had supplied him with the sides, minus the 'Coronation' or 'West Riding' raised lettering. It was always tricky to remove for representing the cars in BR days.

I think the ex-'Silver Jubilee' catering triplet was built from Marc Models components. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something

12 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Open Third (TO) to D1904

Thanks Graham,

May I ask; what did the whole rake cost, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

Were any of the ex-'Royal Scot' carriages employed in named trains on the WCML post-War? 

The reason I ask is that photographs of the ex-LNER streamlined stock in post-War prestige trains are not hard to find, yet I can't recall seeing pictures of the LMS PV cars in trains. 

Were the Kitchen Cars employed in 'The Caledonian'?

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony, I think you mean the ex-Coronation Scot carriages.

The kitchen cars were standard so would have been used like any other kitchen cars, of which the LMR had lots.

The other stock seemed to be dispersed to general use and there are photos of individual carriages in various trains, some more prestigious than others. I don't recall seeing any photos of them in the Royal Scot sets but that train became Mark 1 very early on. The Caledonian was all Mark 1 from the outset except the kitchen car and brake first, which was a post-war porthole one until replaced by a Mark 1 BFK (type not introduced until 1959). 

There is one in this train: 

3846688526_68dc35f2ba_c.jpg46204_nrBerkhamstead_0950-Liverpool-Euston_22-7-61 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1