Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hello Iain.d,

Have you tried Hobby tech for brass tube? As a builder of things I have sometimes found that they have what I need in stock.Good hobby shops are thin on the ground here in W.A. as you have probably found . I would like to see a photo of the coach when you finish it if Tony allows. I am an EM modeller ,GWR ,LNWR andMidland all pre WW1. Doug. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Doug, yes I did try Hobbytech, thats where I got the copper tube from! Its 'my local' being all of about 10 minutes away.  Its a good shop and has most things I need, at least on a day to day usage basis.  I do hope to to show more of the build as it progresses.

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iain.d said:

Having been easily distracted from completing the refurbishment of a former Hornby Stanier carriage into something more presentable, I got taken with converting a Ratio Clerestory Brake Third into a MR 31ft 4 Compartment Third using a Bill Bedford W iron etch and a drawing I accessed through the Midland Railway Society.

This is the body cut down and shims of white plastic strip added to replace the missing beading at the one end. I’ve also removed the end handrails and commode handles, which I’ll replace with wire towards the end of the build. Two partitions have been added to provide a little strength at this stage.

1645934684_Ratio6WheelConversion(01)-Body.jpg.c31f8f2a21175599c216d6ac35cc6500.jpg

I haven’t yet decided whether to scratch build (in plastic) an underframe or modify the one provided with the kit, although I’m leaning towards the former. But I thought before I do that part, I’d fold up the Bill Bedford W irons so that whichever chassis I decide on, I can build it from the start by getting the ride height correct rather than modify a built chassis. With only crude measuring done so far, I’m thinking I’ll need to recess the W iron platforms into the floor of the carriage. The centre wheel axle has been replaced with a 2mm OD copper tube (I couldn’t find any brass tube) with a 1mm ID hole through which passes a 26mm length of brass rod. Later today I’ll fit the guitar wire to the bearing housings and try and complete each unit with brake yokes and safety loops. Soldering on the additional/thickening brake shoes was a challenge to the eyesight….

341785602_Ratio6WheelConversion(02)-WIrons.jpg.127b3963fc240cdad684623b426517dc.jpg

Perth has gone into a 3 day lockdown until Monday night so there’s limited option to go out. It means I get some extra modelling time but on the other hand, sadly but understandably, our ANZAC dawn services on Sunday have been cancelled. Last year many, many Australians commemorated the event by lighting candles at the bottom of their drive at dawn, hopefully in Perth a similar number will pay their respects in the same way.

Kind regards,

Iain

Lovely work, Iain,

As always.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gr.king said:

As above, but very much more so, with a far less tolerant attitude to detractors.

Thanks Graeme,

Though I didn't watch the Duke's funeral last weekend, I read this week that one 'man of God' considered 'I Vow To Thee.................' obscene!

Odd how things change, isn't it? Over 60 years ago, during my school assemblies, it was one of the most-popular of the hymns chosen by the Head. Pity the boy who didn't sing it with sufficient gusto; a thick ear would be administered..................

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Graeme,

Though I didn't watch the Duke's funeral last weekend, I read this week that one 'man of God' considered 'I Vow To Thee.................' obscene!

Odd how things change, isn't it? Over 60 years ago, during my school assemblies, it was one of the most-popular of the hymns chosen by the Head. Pity the boy who didn't sing it with sufficient gusto; a thick ear would be administered..................

Regards,

Tony.  

Two hymns that, inter alia, make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up; "I Vow To Thee..." and "Eternal Father, Strong to Save..." - and "Jerusalem" isn't far off that either. All used to be sung with great gusto at School... :good:

Mark

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Two hymns that, inter alia, make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up; "I Vow To Thee..."

Proper attention has to be paid to the second verse, which provides the context for the first verse.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Graeme,

Regards,

Tony.  

Hello Tony

At both my father's and father in law's funerals "I Vow to Thee" was chosen as a hymn as they both served in the Royal Navy during WW2, as it was the sailors hymn. The closest my father in law got to being a "sailor" in his own words was messing about the boating lake at Scarborough, he was a signaler and his role was to listen to German navy radio Morse code messages and these would then be passed on to the code breakers.

As for school assembly hymns. Coming from Bedford, the home town of the rebel priest John Bunyan, the first hymn every Monday morning was "To be a Pilgrim". When I hear it now it sends shivers down my spine owing to the 'orrid memories of our head giving his do and don't lecture for that week. I have no memory of him ever saying well done to pupil, a class or a sports team. He seemed to spend most the day walking around the corridors shouting "Tie, Boy" and pointing at some poor blighter.

"To be a Pilgrim" is the only hymn I have on list of songs to be played at my funeral, I had to suffer so can the rest of my family.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As for school assembly hymns. Coming from Bedford, the home town of the rebel priest John Bunyan, the first hymn every Monday morning was "To be a Pilgrim".

Also known as 'He who would valiant be', I believe.

I used to like that one too. Any good 'ol rollicking traditional hymn with a great tune and slightly convoluted words (adding a certain mystique) does it for me.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

the first hymn every Monday morning was "To be a Pilgrim"

Interesting. That was our school hymn too and was always sung at the final assembly of each term, so my memories are of it heralding several weeks of no work and all play.

• Like 2

I picked one up not long ago from Hattons for about £50. Definitely a bargain as it has a full set of wheels. I don't think it had even been out of the box as everything was still in the corrugated cardboard wrapped in Sellotape.

Fine apart from a lack of instructions which seems to be common with pre owned kits. Not really a problem as it doesn't look like a complicated kit apart from the valve gear and I'm assuming the construction will be similar to others such as the B1 and K1 which I do have the instructions for.

I also bought a SE Finecast K3 at the same time so probably from the same original owner. That was a similar price.

So there are still bargains. The problem with eBay is people with deep pockets will bid high prices thus inflating the market. Usually it's two bidders competing with each other and thereby pushing the price up.

Highest price for an unbuilt kit I've seen was a M&L GWR The Great Bear 4-6-2 which sold for over £400!

Jason

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Morning Tony

Is the scale drawing included in the kit ?  I do like the looks of a K2 although I never saw one , I may break one of my golden rules .

Dennis

Good afternoon Dennis,

There are three 'exploded' drawings, but no scale drawing. The one I use is the Isinglass one. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I picked one up not long ago from Hattons for about £50. Definitely a bargain as it has a full set of wheels. I don't think it had even been out of the box as everything was still in the corrugated cardboard wrapped in Sellotape.

Fine apart from a lack of instructions which seems to be common with pre owned kits. Not really a problem as it doesn't look like a complicated kit apart from the valve gear and I'm assuming the construction will be similar to others such as the B1 and K1 which I do have the instructions for.

I also bought a SE Finecast K3 at the same time so probably from the same original owner. That was a similar price.

So there are still bargains. The problem with eBay is people with deep pockets will bid high prices thus inflating the market. Usually it's two bidders competing with each other and thereby pushing the price up.

Highest price for an unbuilt kit I've seen was a M&L GWR The Great Bear 4-6-2 which sold for over £400!

Jason

Thanks for that Jason,

The valve gear for a K2 is different from later-build LNER locos in that the crossheads fit between two slidebars - LMS and GWR style - rather than a 'single' slipper arrangement.

It's not too complicated, however.

If you contact Dave Ellis at Nu-Cast, I'm sure he'll send you a set of instructions, the difference being that your kit (if it's old) will have a white metal lump for a chassis, rather than the etched brass one now supplied. If it has the lump, it might be a good idea to request an etched one from Dave; the fit is just the same.

Regards,

Tony. 

A request, please, to all those lovers of things further west.....................

Warship.jpg.9145d66297988b8279f257d507913f00.jpg

Does anyone know where this is? 

Clearly, ex-GWR, and near a station? The goods shed at a higher level might give a clue, but I don't have any.

Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 2