Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Tony Wright said:

A request, please, to all those lovers of things further west.....................

Warship.jpg.9145d66297988b8279f257d507913f00.jpg

Does anyone know where this is? 

Clearly, ex-GWR, and near a station? The goods shed at a higher level might give a clue, but I don't have any.

Thanks in anticipation.

Liskeard, looking West.

Rob

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Liskeard, looking West.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

What a fantastic resource this site is. 

As I said, I didn't have a clue as to the location. Are there still semaphore signals there, over 50 years after the picture was taken?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Rob,

As I said, I didn't have a clue as to the location. Are there still semaphore signals there, over 50 years after the picture was taken?

Regards,

Tony. 

Some were still there in 2019: https://flic.kr/p/2heVFiB

The goods shed had gone by 1976:

4544197714_c5a5058922_c.jpg1053_Liskeard_1976 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think this may have been covered before, but there are an awful lot of pages to search through to find it!

What paint colour does anyone use to represent the Brown livery used on coaches into the BR era in the 50s? (such as an ex GE coach that never received BR crimson).  Enamels preferred, brush or rattle can.

Stewart

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

I think this may have been covered before, but there are an awful lot of pages to search through to find it!

What paint colour does anyone use to represent the Brown livery used on coaches into the BR era in the 50s? (such as an ex GE coach that never received BR crimson).  Enamels preferred, brush or rattle can.

Stewart

Humbrol Dark Earth No 29 seems to me to be fairly close.

Near enough for me at any rate.

Bernard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Stewart

Stewart,

I’ve seen everything from Humbrol 29, as Bernard suggests, to Precision track dirt suggested. I tried a mix of Humbrol 9 and 10 here.

If you follow the link and scroll down about a page there were some useful responses including from Headstock with some photos and MickLNER suggesting Precision Teak.

I think it’s a case of almost any brown shade will do!

Good luck.

Andy

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Fine apart from a lack of instructions which seems to be common with pre owned kits. Not really a problem as it doesn't look like a complicated kit apart from the valve gear and I'm assuming the construction will be similar to others such as the B1 and K1 which I do have the instructions for.

I may have a set of K2 instructions somewhere, which I could scan.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Rob,

Regards,

Tony. 

Happy to help, Tony.

Considering I've spent about two weeks in Cornwall in my whole life, knowing this location straight away says something about how a single railway book can have such an impact on you.  In my teens I acquired a copy of "Diesels in the Duchy" by John Vaughan and absorbed every photo caption; I was fascinated by the infrastructure, the number of viaducts and the fact there isn't a level stretch of line in the whole county (so there were never any water troughs).  In 1989 I went off, on my own (aged 16) and cycled around East Cornwall for a week, photographing trains between Plymouth and St. Austell, memorising the book's locations and finding many of my own; some of the slides I took I am still proud of today. 

I am still grateful to my parents for allowing me to do that on my own (I was 200+ miles from home if anything had gone wrong) and thanks to John Vaughan for compiling such an inspiring photo album.  I would have never had the memories if I hadn't seen his images first.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Stewart

I sought advice in this when building a rake of ex-NER. and settled on Humbrol 29 with a twitch of added matt black, and, as an alternative, (as recommended by Coachman) Precision Track Dirt. This resulted in what I thought was a nice variety of tones in the rake. I found LNER Teak a bit too light to represent what seems to be the muddy LNER Brown. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, rowanj said:

I sought advice in this when building a rake of ex-NER. and settled on Humbrol 29 with a twitch of added matt black, and, as an alternative, (as recommended by Coachman) Precision Track Dirt. This resulted in what I thought was a nice variety of tones in the rake. I found LNER Teak a bit too light to represent what seems to be the muddy LNER Brown. 

That's useful to know, John. I have a few Kirk kits to be painted up for use on Scalby - and I was wondering what would be best,

Mark

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Happy to help, Tony.

Considering I've spent about two weeks in Cornwall in my whole life, knowing this location straight away says something about how a single railway book can have such an impact on you.  In my teens I acquired a copy of "Diesels in the Duchy" by John Vaughan and absorbed every photo caption; I was fascinated by the infrastructure, the number of viaducts and the fact there isn't a level stretch of line in the whole county (so there were never any water troughs).  In 1989 I went off, on my own (aged 16) and cycled around East Cornwall for a week, photographing trains between Plymouth and St. Austell, memorising the book's locations and finding many of my own; some of the slides I took I am still proud of today. 

I am still grateful to my parents for allowing me to do that on my own (I was 200+ miles from home if anything had gone wrong) and thanks to John Vaughan for compiling such an inspiring photo album.  I would have never had the memories if I hadn't seen his images first.

With only a few minor changes, I could have written the same post. The only differences are that I was down there a few years earlier and I travelled around by train. With hindsight, I wish I’d have taken my bike to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple more new models to be reviewed soon in BRM..................................

1800407337_HeljanMk.jpg.cdba8fd37329ef6f4afe2a6835492618.jpg

One of Heljan's O gauge Mk.1s.

504789403_Hornby60512R383403.jpg.599f85fb44bf447d84ced7cfd4c04521.jpg

And Hornby's A2/3. 

I'm not writing any of the reviews for these. In the case of the Thompson Pacific, it would be unethical. 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Sorry for being a bit late to the party with a few pictures of my NU-Cast ex LSWR T14 Paddlebox on Fisherton Sarum. nevard_130213_FishertnSraum_IMG_3008_LR.jpg.e682e3b233f9cef16a767a43f0243037.jpgnevard_130213_FishertnSraum_DSC_4094_LR.jpg.3794301114002c0750f51e7545ad83de.jpgnevard_130213_FishertnSraum_DSC_4174_LR.jpg.1d65102b7e6677efe1c653f3191b7961.jpg

Pictures courtesy C Nevard / Model Rail

Thanks for these images, Graham,

Though 'beauty' is subjective, I don't think that a T14 could ever be described as 'beautiful', even though it's a beautiful model.

Did you build it? If so, my compliments.

Regards,

Tony. 

15 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A couple more new models to be reviewed soon in BRM..................................

1800407337_HeljanMk.jpg.cdba8fd37329ef6f4afe2a6835492618.jpg

One of Heljan's O gauge Mk.1s.

Oh dear! I shall be interested to read that review, even though it's not my modelling scale. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Oh dear! I shall be interested to read that review, even though it's not my modelling scale. 

Good morning Robert,

Is your 'Oh dear' because you don't think the Heljan Mk.1 is a good model, or because you might be tempted? 

I have no idea what they cost.

Regards,

Tony. 

24 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

Is your 'Oh dear' because you don't think the Heljan Mk.1 is a good model, or because you might be tempted? 

I have no idea what they cost.

Regards,

Tony. 

I can see room for improvement in several areas.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for these images, Graham,

Though 'beauty' is subjective, I don't think that a T14 could ever be described as 'beautiful', even though it's a beautiful model.

Did you build it? If so, my compliments.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, 

I did indeed build it, although I cheated slightly as the valve gear that passers through the running plate is fixed to the body rather than the chassis but is almost impossible to tell.

• Thanks 1