Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

8 hours ago, sandra said:

Tony,

I’m glad you like this kit for coincidentally I’m building one of the original Nucast kits which is probably over forty years old. I’m building it using the original white metal chassis and the Romford wheels provided in the kit. Here is a photo of the loco on the 9-50 Grantham/Doncaster at Retford.39CF46C5-79FA-4D6F-BFE4-3F98DB522B44.jpeg.6dca5cc16e19ceccf155e4de03c03ff4.jpeg

It’s still very much work in progress and I’m far from happy with some aspects of the model but I think building this kit or the London Road Models kit will long remain the only way of obtaining a model of one of these locomotives for I can’t see an RTR manufacturer providing one any time soon.1CF790E2-363A-43A0-8835-699CD8315038.jpeg.57ad93b061ba20260fc0b235333df0c0.jpegThis is the other side of the engine, isn’t it amazing how taking photographs emphasises all the faults but whatever, at least I can say it’s all my own work and I do think building a loco makes you have a special relationship with it. It’s so satisfying when you actually get the thing to work and haul a train.

Sandra

Thanks for showing us this model, Sandra.

A couple or so 'critical' observation, if I may, please? 

On the offside, the loco is effectively in reverse gear.

On the nearside (and, to some extent, on the offside), the cylinder looks to be far too low. Its top should be right underneath the footplate. I found considerable filing was necessary to the cylinders' overall lengths to achieve a snug fit. 

The prototype had 3' 2" pony wheels, with ten spokes. Yours has 14mm, 12 spoked ones. The instructions are wrong in this respect. 

I think they'd all lost their frame-mounted guard irons by Retford's period.

All the above said, I commend your making of this model. And, I doubt it'll ever be a type available RTR (or, at least, I hope not).

Keep up the good work. 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Whilst we were tackling a little visitor in our loft, Mrs 2750 at last persuaded me that I would never get around to reading again all the magazines stored up there.  I've been working my way through them, saving items of interest and binning the rest and today came across the July 1996 edition of Steam World, edited by one Chris Leigh. 

I don't know if TW has seen this but the title page has several shots of the M&GN overbridge at Little Bytham, whilst inside is an article by Peter Kay on it's demolition in March 1964.

I do have a copy (somewhere?); thanks for mentioning this. 

I used it during the building of the layout.

I thought its demolition was in 1963. 

Regards,

Tony. 

7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony

I have had a Nucast K2, purchased about 1992 by my Dad from one of his visits to Dave Cleal, stashed away for a rainy day (which hasn't come yet!). I've just had a look through the kit out of curiosity. I knew it had the etched chassis. The castings appear to be fairly crisp, eg the edges to the running plates and rivets on covers for access to superheater header. I've also got the latest Markits wheels, Maygib sprung GN buffers and a turned brass chimney as extra bits I've accumulated for it along the way. I note from comments you have made previously with the original version of the kit that the cylinders didn't fit, the piston rods were too short and motion bracket too high. I look forward to hearing your comments on the 'updated kit'. Judging by what I see the cylinders must now fit ok?

Regards

Andrew

The cylinders do now fit, Andrew,

However, as I've just mentioned, a lot of fore and aft filing was necessary to get them to fit snugly. Better, I suppose, than their being too short.

The piston rods are exactly the right length now. The crossheads now have a hole to take a small BA screw to pivot the little end of the con' rod, rather than the previous daft cast metal (and very weak) spigot. 

Having built two of these kits already, the castings in this latest one are probably the best. Perhaps the same as the one I built when the kit was first produced (with a white metal chassis, which I  chucked away and scratch-built an alternative), but certainly better than a later example (which came with an etched chassis).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Some of them aren't put together too badly..............

1771584633_HornbyA226050101.jpg.32c85f111b81bbaf0a3ee403ec6aa31e.jpg

1372909265_HornbyA236051201.jpg.34df2efe7ebcdb05f0a4aa02751bbe54.jpg

Just to 'balance' the criticisms.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony. I think Hornby have now acknowledged there is a problem with the first releases of the A2’s as they are offering exchange bodies. Also there are more than usual ‘spares’ available for this new model which might suggest they are either breaking up returns or there is some stock deemed not fit to go on sale in the first place. 

• Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks for showing us this model, Sandra.

A couple or so 'critical' observation, if I may, please? 

On the offside, the loco is effectively in reverse gear.

On the nearside (and, to some extent, on the offside), the cylinder looks to be far too low. Its top should be right underneath the footplate. I found considerable filing was necessary to the cylinders' overall lengths to achieve a snug fit. 

The prototype had 3' 2" pony wheels, with ten spokes. Yours has 14mm, 12 spoked ones. The instructions are wrong in this respect. 

I think they'd all lost their frame-mounted guard irons by Retford's period.

All the above said, I commend your making of this model. And, I doubt it'll ever be a type available RTR (or, at least, I hope not).

Keep up the good work. 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Thanks for your comments. The gap above the cylinders is because I was just testing the loco and the body was just plonked on the underframe without being screwed in place. It does actually fit.

I must admit I just used the pony truck wheels provided in the kit. I will replace them. As for the guard irons the photo of the loco I was using to guide the build did have them but the photo was undated. I will try and find a suitable in period photo of the intended loco which is 61743.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Sandra

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, sandra said:

Tony,

Thanks for your comments. The gap above the cylinders is because I was just testing the loco and the body was just plonked on the underframe without being screwed in place. It does actually fit.

I must admit I just used the pony truck wheels provided in the kit. I will replace them. As for the guard irons the photo of the loco I was using to guide the build did have them but the photo was undated. I will try and find a suitable in period photo of the intended loco which is 61743.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Sandra

This might help: https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-EASTERN-REGION/TYPE-K-260-LOCOMOTIVES/i-QLWd3XW/A

Date is 9/9/56. It was on this tour.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some of them aren't put together too badly..............

1771584633_HornbyA226050101.jpg.32c85f111b81bbaf0a3ee403ec6aa31e.jpg

1372909265_HornbyA236051201.jpg.34df2efe7ebcdb05f0a4aa02751bbe54.jpg

Just to 'balance' the criticisms.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony these appear to be photos of models more or less straight from the box in terms of paintwork so am I right in thinking the colour is somewhat deeper on the A2/3?

I have actually seen models of both the A2/3s but not with the A2/2 for direct comparison.

Or is that a result of marginally different photographic conditions or is the A2/3 shown here after the coat of varnish?

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Added last comment re varnish

15 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tony these appear to be photos of models more or less straight from the box in terms of paintwork so am I right in thinking the colour is somewhat deeper on the A2/3?

I have actually seen models of both the A2/3s but not with the A2/2 for direct comparison.

Or is that a result of marginally different photographic conditions or is the A2/3 shown here after the coat of varnish?

Andrew

They're both models as supplied, Andrew (apart from my putting the extra bits on the A2/2, and a front shackle).

Both pictures were taken using the same camera, lens and lighting, so there is a subtle colour variation.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thanks Tony. I think Hornby have now acknowledged there is a problem with the first releases of the A2’s as they are offering exchange bodies. Also there are more than usual ‘spares’ available for this new model which might suggest they are either breaking up returns or there is some stock deemed not fit to go on sale in the first place. 

Thanks Mike,

I agree. Hornby must have had some quality control issues, now, hopefully, resolved.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

Only just realised Tony looking at these locos , you don’t do any sand pipes ? stands out on the black 5 with the sand box underneath the footplate.

Dennis

Good morning Dennis,

I do fit sand pipes occasionally (the J6 has them).

However, my reluctance to fit them stems from years of exhibiting large, main line layouts. Despite derailments being rare events, if one did occur a loco fitted with every lower detail would sit on things like sand pipes, squashing them, causing shorting and interference.

A practicable compromise, I think; more evident in close-up studio shots.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

31 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Dennis,

I do fit sand pipes occasionally (the J6 has them).

However, my reluctance to fit them stems from years of exhibiting large, main line layouts. Despite derailments being rare events, if one did occur a loco fitted with every lower detail would sit on things like sand pipes, squashing them, causing shorting and interference.

A practicable compromise, I think; more evident in close-up studio shots.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

I too have considerable experience of operating large exhibition layouts but have rarely experienced problems with derailments causing damage to sand pipes.  I would hope for both of us our standards are such that derailments are few and far between anyway which immediately reduces the risk, but also because the bottom of each sand pipe is tucked into the wheel so the wheel protects it in almost all circumstances.  As an added precaution I always form my sand pipes from phosphor bronze wire which being significantly more springy than brass or n/silver is more capable of resisting damage and distortion.

Obviously it’s a personal choice but personally I attempt to include the same level of detail below the footplate as above including wiggly pipes. I would therefore have no concerns encouraging modellers new to kit construction to include sand pipes when detailing their locomotives.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D.Platt said:

Only just realised Tony looking at these locos , you don’t do any sand pipes ? stands out on the black 5 with the sand box underneath the footplate.

Dennis

Funny - I was just about to post 'all look fantastic but that Black 5 is special - almost looks like it could be in steam'! I guess we all see things differently and let our imaginations fill the gaps :)

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Collecting my models from Geoff Haynes yesterday was like Christmases and birthdays all rolled into one..........................

The Hornby Thompson Pacifics were shown yesterday. 

219423423_A46001301.jpg.6d53facc0ed199964ad2cdb22625311b.jpg

I built this A4 from a South Eastern Finecast kit, and Geoff has painted it beautifully.

338508978_BlackFive45235.jpg.2d855b90b40b764c7a4ca5b437cbcde1.jpg

He also painted this Model Loco Stanier Five. 

I bought this part-built some time ago, for a song. Everything was glued together on it - even the frames and the etched components. It picked apart easily, and I just rebuilt/completed it using the proper medium - solder! 

1453404778_J66427701.jpg.7ebab975455f2d2f2cdda51b38a35d12.jpg

I built and painted this new Nu-Cast J6 and Geoff weathered it for me.

748784827_V26087601.jpg.15007e3e5ad69769c9921f00b931129d.jpg

This is the old Nu-Cast V2 given to me by Jesse Sim. I repainted it into BR lined black (losing the hideous LNER green), and Geoff lined the valance and weathered it. 

It still has its Stone Age cast metal chassis. I have all the Markits/Comet/DJH parts to erect a new mechanism for it. 

I tell you, this bartering is a damn good idea! 

Woweee, she looks a million bucks!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Collecting my models from Geoff Haynes yesterday was like Christmases and birthdays all rolled into one..........................

I built this A4 from a South Eastern Finecast kit, and Geoff has painted it beautifully.

I bought this part-built some time ago, for a song. Everything was glued together on it - even the frames and the etched components. It picked apart easily, and I just rebuilt/completed it using the proper medium - solder! 

This is the old Nu-Cast V2 given to me by Jesse Sim. I repainted it into BR lined black (losing the hideous LNER green), and Geoff lined the valance and weathered it. 

It still has its Stone Age cast metal chassis. I have all the Markits/Comet/DJH parts to erect a new mechanism for it. 

One press of the 'like' button is insufficient for such a lovely line up! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Great paintwork from Geoff as usual.

However, I must say I've never been convinced by the front end of the Wills/SE Finecast  A4 kits.  To me the best 4mm option for an A4 is the current Hornby body on a kit built chassis if heavy loads are to be hauled. Otherwise the Hornby chassis is ok, particularly if new valve gear is added.

One thing I'm hoping is that as Hornby are retooling the Gresley A1/A3 models they'll re-do the valve gear and end up with valve gear of the same quality as that on the A2/2s and A2/3s. Which then should allow the upgrading of the Hornby A4 chassis to that standard.

The Model Loco Black 5 is interesting as I note it has a rivetted tender whereas the unbuilt one I have has a flush-sided tender. So presumably they made two versions unless this one has had the normal DJH tender substituted.

The V2 has come up really well - Jessie might be wishing he hadn't parted with it!

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Is Mrs O (not) seeing red as you are running away from the plate she has directed towards you.

spot on.. valance lining is not finished

• Thanks 1

The small round plates are also missing both sides from the motion bracket. On the model it hides the spindle that secures the expansion link. To be fair these could have gone walkies before Tony purchased the loco.

The tender is a Mainline/Bachmann donor.

Pete