Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

7 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

No Tony I didn't make it. It's way beyond my competence. If I remember correctly it was made many years ago by someone working for  Bournemouth Model Railway Centre,which I had contracted to build it. I have only ever built 2 model locos both about 40 years ago - an MPD MR 3F now replaced by the much better Bachmann models & a Craftsman MR 0-4-4T.The latter isn't too bad a model, but that may be because someone else painted it very well in MR livery. I look forward to receiving the new more or less equivalent Bachmann model to compare it with.

William

Thanks for that info, William,

The reason I asked as to its origins (and this is no criticism of you) is that I believe credit should always be given to the builder/painter of a model shown. 

All too often images of models appear, where no mention is made of the builder's/painter's name, and many observers are hoodwinked into believing that it's the work of the poster. Which isn't right, and certainly isn't fair.

Regards,

Tony.  

6 hours ago, ecgtheow said:

Quite a few J11s were transferred to the M&GN after the LNER took over the running of the line. The table below form the M&GN Bulletin 637/6-9 shows those transferred. They were allocated to the M&GN for only a few years & by 1943 all had left, but J11s continued to visit the line in the BR era. There is  a photo of 64420 on a lengthy train of wagons at South Lynn on 01.08.1953.

1366620463_J11sonMGN.png.3ac9eef227a80dc4d3987667f8df324f.png

Minor pedantic comment if I may?

64420 was, from memory, allocated to Annesley late 50s/early 60s. For a while it was the yard pilot at New Basford. Many years ago I built a BEC kit of one mounted on a Triang jinty chassis, numbering it in tribute to a loco I had seen as a child. A good many years later I discovered that it was actually one of those rebuilt to J11/3 with a higher pitched boiler as the main visual clue. 

I thought I had read somewhere that Bachmann were going to do the rebuilt version at some time but I've no idea if they have, and anyway I would no longer buy one as a matter of principle. Some people may take exception to that comment and if anyone is offended by it, mods can delete.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

a type that cannot be electrically isolated from the frames, so, thus, incompatible with DCC.

If you used insulated wheels on both sides, ran the red and black wires from the pickups to the decoder, then ran the orange wire to the insulated motor brush and the grey wire to the frames I think that might work (happy to be shot down...)?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

If you used insulated wheels on both sides, ran the red and black wires from the pickups to the decoder, then ran the orange wire to the insulated motor brush and the grey wire to the frames I think that might work (happy to be shot down...)?

Technically it would work but if there was then a short anywhere on the frames then it would probably blow the chip.  Somewhat risky therefore.. 

Frank

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13.

Andy

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Technically it would work but if there was then a short anywhere on the frames then it would probably blow the chip.  Somewhat risky therefore.. 

Frank

You beat me to it. Totally agree.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 92220 said:

Good evening Tony,

I hope that you and Mo are both well.

I thought that you might be interested in these clips - very raw and unfinished of course, but:

• prototype location to scale (apart from the gauge)
  • 4 track mainline
  • 8P pacifics (plus a few others!) built all or part from kits
  • various brass carriages among the rtr, using your couplings

Much still to do!

Best wishes,

Iain

We're both very well, thanks, Iain.

I hope you and yours are, too.

Great clips! Thanks ever so much for showing us.

Regards,

Tony. 

37 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think that would work in theory. But in practice any stray short would go straight to the motor terminal and back to the decoder which it would not appreciate. I suspect that would be new decoder time! Therefore, I think it’s highly inadvisable in practice. I have one such loco to convert and I’m still dithering over how to do it as it runs so well with the D13.

Andy

The easiest solution is not to use DCC, Andy.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It ran very well; sweetly, quietly and powerfully, though not as fast as the AM9, DJH's larger motor/gearbox. I decided not to keep it (I never saw 60835), so sold it on to Andy Sparkes (most appropriately, The Green Howards on here) who's very happy with it, though he also reports its being slower than other locos - not sluggish, just not as high a top speed. 

I know Andy dips into here, so he might comment. He might even shoot a little video for you. 

I would agree totally with that description. It is very powerful and will pull more than almost any other steam loco I own. In my opinion it is not the motor which is normally the critical part of haulage ability but the weight of the loco and Tony has stuffed every available orifice on this V2 with lead in his normal way!

I do however find it rather sluggish and have, in the main, relegated it to long fitted goods. Here is a link to a picture and a 30 second video of it running n my layout, Gresley Junction. This was maximum speed. It's fine for fitted goods but a bit sluggish for my tastes for passenger duties. I haven't worked out the scale speeds so I may have a faulty judgement of what correct scale speeds should look like. If the canon motor is faster then that may solve this slight issue.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

Frank

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andy

Yes, no matter how carefully you built the thing you would one day end up with a short. So, while it could be done it probably shouldn't be done (as with more than a few things in life).

Unless you used plastic frames...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andy

So long as the motor connections couldn’t short to the rails (ie the motor is properly isolated from the frames and body) the DCC system should detect any short and kill the power before the power kills the chip. Proper isolation could be tested on the programme track before subjecting the loco to full layout current. DCC systems are much more sensitive to shorts than DC and therefore quicker to identify problems. . 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That's the problem with those motors, Mike.

Agreed. The motor connects through the worm gear and axle onto the frames, so there would need to be a lot of insulation to isolate it completely - i.e. something like plastic frames as suggested by St Enodoc.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Well, I don't think the Spanish Inquisition ever got to Australia.

Then it's all the more likely to be unexpected, when it does.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Agreed. The motor connects through the worm gear and axle onto the frames, so there would need to be a lot of insulation to isolate it completely - i.e. something like plastic frames as suggested by St Enodoc.

And plastic bearings, Andy. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1