Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Method: 

The only "knowledge" needed is the shape of a LNWR signal bracket (cf Ratio kit!) a good idea of the extent of the LNWR.

That sounds more erudite than what I did: look at photo; think "that looks like an uncropped version of a photo I've seen in the LMS Loco Profile volume on the 8Fs"; and try to remember where I'd put said book!

A K. Field photo of a Copley Hill-Liverpool freight taken in 1953 apparently.

Regards,

Simon 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chamby said:

Hi Tony, yes it is Hornby's model of No.500, re-lettered and having the brass nameplate/crew/coal and lamp treatment.

Funnily enough, I nearly asked on here about the smokebox number positioning before placing it, but decided that as all the available photographs on the internet showed it on the hinge strap, and the smokebox lamp bracket on the Hornby model leaves very little room for the number plate to fit between it and the handrail, that it was a reasonable assumption to place it on the hinge strap.  I should have guessed it was not that obvious!  I think Hornby got the lamp bracket position right on their model of 500, so perhaps on the original, the bracket was raised when the number plate was added, only to be lowered again a few years later when the numberplate was re-positioned?   No matter, it's a simple fix on the model, thank you.

Modelling individual locomotives during early nationalisation does bring unique challenges owing to the rapid pace of changing liveries etc. at this time.   I'm now also questioning whether 60500 actually carried her BR number whilst wearing LNER green... I have seen that other modellers have kit-built 60500 in this livery, but I have yet to see an original photo and it has been suggested that she perhaps went straight from LNER No.500 into Brunswick Green?   The perils of acquiring a locomotive in a class that I am less familiar with...

Phil.

Good evening Phil,

According to the LNER green series by the RCTS (Part 2A), EDWARD THOMPSON got her BR number, 60500, coincidental with her being painted BR green, in October 1949. So, sorry to say, your model is incorrect. You could change her to 60511, but none other (because the other 13 had their boiler cladding in five sections). 60511 in LNER green would be correct from April '48 until December '49 (when she got BR green and the boiler cladding was altered).

If nothing else it shows the principle of always modelling using prototype pictures.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The purists will note that, for the period, it should be a B17/6, but, on Retford, at a distance, who'll know? 

Everyone now Tony!  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Bill

Wasn't the Jones Goods of the Highland Railway the first 4-6-0 and it had outside cylinders. 

More than that when Terry Thomas crashes is aeroplane on to the roof of the train the Highland Goods is pulling before going into Old Warden Tunnel you can see Goldington Power Station where I was an apprentice.

Of course, I meant to include outside Walschaert gear.  Bill

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Another request, please..................

48502.jpg.0e78a01806e97bb381f344c948d239fd.jpg

Where is this?

I have a vague feeling that this location is familiar to me, though it's not Chester, as was suggested.

Somewhere on the L&NWR in the Pennines? 

Good evening Tony,  I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to help with identifying the location but what a terrific looking photo, really atmospheric, packed full of detail!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony,  I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to help with identifying the location but what a terrific looking photo, really atmospheric, packed full of detail!

Good morning Chas,

What strikes me is what a fantastic location this would be for a model. 

I'm guessing, but it looks like the shot has been taken from a signal box steps or through a window (can anyone please confirm?). What would the scenic break be behind the cameraman? 

I know there has been at least one model based on the trans-Pennine L&NWR four track main line (Standedge/Marsden?). One could always tell it was at an exhibition from the racket made by the Palitoy ex-LMS 4-6-0s running on it! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

This would make a superb micro-layout were it not that in order to run prototypical trains, the fiddle yard-to-scenic section ratio would beat all records!

Ah, but if it were part of a bigger scheme to include Huddersfield station itself then you've got yourself the basis of a stonking layout!

Probably well suited to N gauge and let the scenery speak...?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Phil,

According to the LNER green series by the RCTS (Part 2A), EDWARD THOMPSON got her BR number, 60500, coincidental with her being painted BR green, in October 1949. So, sorry to say, your model is incorrect. You could change her to 60511, but none other (because the other 13 had their boiler cladding in five sections). 60511 in LNER green would be correct from April '48 until December '49 (when she got BR green and the boiler cladding was altered).

If nothing else it shows the principle of always modelling using prototype pictures.

Regards,

Tony.  

Thanks, Tony (and Andrew).  A3’s I am more acquainted with now, but the various guises of A2 are unfamiliar to both the GCLE and myself...

60511 then.

Much obliged,

Phil.

• Thanks 1

If you dig a bit it is amazing how many were sighted on the GCLE. There is a photo of Edward Thompson at Nottingham Victoria in lner livery en route to marylebone for naming. If you want to change the numbers but not the name. 
richard 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 09:10, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Chas,

What strikes me is what a fantastic location this would be for a model. 

I'm guessing, but it looks like the shot has been taken from a signal box steps or through a window (can anyone please confirm?). What would the scenic break be behind the cameraman? 

I know there has been at least one model based on the trans-Pennine L&NWR four track main line (Standedge/Marsden?). One could always tell it was at an exhibition from the racket made by the Palitoy ex-LMS 4-6-0s running on it! 

Regards,

Tony. 

I know of a an O gauge modal of Springwood Junction modelled by Paul Knight, a member of the L&Y Railway Society.

Edited by Leander
At Mr Edge's insistence.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I still smile every time I see the light at the end of the tunnel. A wonderful trick.

It is a good trick, John,

And, for those who didn't know, it's just a small hole drilled in the end-board to represent the north end of Catesby Tunnel. 

Shortly after entering the south end of the tunnel, the model tracks swing round a 3' 6", 90 degree curve to the left!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 06/05/2021 at 21:41, Tony Wright said:

Today's work has seen my making of the motion on the EM frames for CLUMBER. 

During my 'spotting days at Retford, prior to the appearance of the 'Brits' on the boat train, the most-common loco on it was 61620, CLUMBER. Day after day it could be seen, rushing across the flat crossing heading east to Sheffield in the morning, then back again in the afternoon. 

For Retford's period, a B17 on the 'North Country Continental' is essential. However, the resident B17 (which has its motor in the tender driving via a shaft to the rear coupled wheels) hasn't been up to the job, despite the application of Gorilla Snot!

I first built 61620 in OO Gauge, and described its construction in the book I wrote for Crowood Press. Since a B17 at Little Bytham is highly-unlikely, then I've made a Comet set of frames for it in EM. 

Sandra Orpen tested it on Retford before its motion was made.

1087991758_ClumberinEM02.jpg.e6ea800d0f41b0cfed8b50e77b6c92fa.jpg

By all accounts, it passed with flying colours! It's absolutely packed with lead in every bit of space in the body, and that's what's needed to shift this heavy train up the gradient from the GC fiddle yard. 

This Covid is a real nuisance, but it's back here and it's now all but complete...................

1763387356_ClumberinEM03.jpg.e4642147cb0b7634381ae2435dda6b41.jpg

Apart from the balance weights. Unlike on later Comet chassis packs, no balance weights are provided for this. Does anyone know of a source, please? 

The motion support brackets are attached to the body, so the Comet ones were not needed. 

I think this sort of thing is the way I can contribute to Retford in a practical manner.

I think Markits sell balance weights in sets. I just make mine from  black plasticard when required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not many books for review this month, but interesting nonetheless....................

25298939_NottinghamtoMansfield.jpg.85bba7ec606c789ddd206c6eb43e04e9.jpg

The title of this would have made more sense if a comma and 'and' had been substituted for the ampersand.

1412339169_Second-HandTrams.jpg.4f4e27a9ad2786dc6d0023b8da7eeede.jpg

Interesting.

1059785678_VictoriasRailwayKing.jpg.02b2af6838c9579a82a094d42fca56db.jpg

Very interesting.

Full review will be appearing in BRM.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Not many books for review this month, but interesting nonetheless....................

25298939_NottinghamtoMansfield.jpg.85bba7ec606c789ddd206c6eb43e04e9.jpg

The title of this would have made more sense if a comma and 'and' had been substituted for the ampersand.

1412339169_Second-HandTrams.jpg.4f4e27a9ad2786dc6d0023b8da7eeede.jpg

Interesting.

1059785678_VictoriasRailwayKing.jpg.02b2af6838c9579a82a094d42fca56db.jpg

Very interesting.

Full review will be appearing in BRM.  

I always thought that George Hudson was the Railway King.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Quite so - I'm not aware of any M&GN lines in Notts! Although they get off on a technicality - the line in Norfolk / Lincs was the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway (or possibly Joint Midland & Great Northern Railway... 

I'll look forward to their volume on Midland Great Western Railway lines in Gloucestershire or on the Great Southern & Western Railway in Ayrshire!

• RMweb Premium

Quick exam question - please give an example of a properly-constructed English sentence that includes the word "and" five times consecutively.

• Like 1