Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Many thanks Frank . This does help but I was also interested in how Tony removes either part or all of the wheel spring, and whether the pickups are fitted before the brake gear. I’m sure there were photos of a recent black 5 build but I cannot find them.

Hi Roger,

and of course there is my alternate approach which avoids pickups getting tangled with brake gear and spring hangers.....  Might be worth a second look?

Frank

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With visitors now allowed, two dear friends popped round today to operate Little Bytham; the first time it's been fully-run for over six months.

Needless to say, the trainset performed faultlessly. We didn't, but so what?

Thanks Geoff; thanks George. 

Thanks Tony, 

A most enjoyable day. Good to see you and Mo again, and George of course.

Geoff.

• Thanks 1

Here in Canada, we have just entered the three week dash to get yard-work done before the six weeks of summer start.   So for model railways only minor projects tend to be undertaken and last night I pulled out one that has been sitting around for t least 10 (15?) years - a Bachmann J38 that never ran very well.  I had remembered some time back someone had posted, I think on the this thread, that poor running of a split Bachmann chassis loco was significantly improved by adding pick-ups and having some of the trusty DCC Concepts pick-up around I decided to fit them.  After removal of some plastic chassis detail that cannot be seen, they dropped in as though they were made to fit and can hardly be seen even before painting.  Screwed directly to the plastic chassis keeper plate, what a difference in running and cheap.   Next challenge is to add some sort of bushing and spacer washers to the centre driver which move around like it has drunk a full bottle of Stolichnaya. 

Should have added that I have converted two other with new chassis and one with A DJH gearbox and another with a SE Finecast gearbox (Thanks Tony & Finecast).  For this i just wanted to see what I could do on the cheap and it should be applicable to other poor running split chassis Bachmann Locos since I have at least one B1

J38 DCC Pick-up 1.jpg

J38 DCC Pick-up 3.jpg

J38 DCC Pick-up 4.jpg

Edited by Theakerr
Forgot to add
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

Here in Canada, we have just entered the three week dash to get yard-work done before the six weeks of summer start.   So for model railways only minor projects tend to be undertaken and last night I pulled out one that has been sitting around for t least 10 (15?) years - a Bachmann J38 that never ran very well.  I had remembered some time back someone had posted, I think on the this thread, that poor running of a split Bachmann chassis loco was significantly improved by adding pick-ups and having some of the trusty DCC Concepts pick-up around I decided to fit them.  After removal of some plastic chassis detail that cannot be seen, they dropped in as though they were made to fit and can hardly be seen even before painting.  Screwed directly to the plastic chassis keeper plate, what a difference in running and cheap.   Next challenge is to add some sort of bushing and spacer washers to the centre driver which move around like it has drunk a full bottle of Stolichnaya. 

J38 DCC Pick-up 1.jpg

J38 DCC Pick-up 3.jpg

J38 DCC Pick-up 4.jpg

An ingenious solution for sorting out the running of a J39..........

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

About two years ago I made a start on a short rake of Ratio Midland Clerestory coaches. After glazing them, adding transfers (HMRS methfix) and couplings, I'm finally at the point where they can be run in a train, albeit with some work still to do.

The Bachmann L&Y loco has been allowed out of its box for a treat.

clerestory1.jpg.1ec6a098ce877a9e0104b50b66311666.jpg

Those are very nicely done. I wish I was lining out to your standard. I do hope you will forgive me if I am pernickety on two points: ends should be red and buffers should be long. What date are you aiming for?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Also weathered by Geoff.

I think this is the most 'exciting' model railway photograph I've ever taken!

DELTIC in action looks fantastic - that weathering is sublime!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Those are very nicely done. I wish I was lining out to your standard. I do hope you will forgive me if I am pernickety on two points: ends should be red and buffers should be long. What date are you aiming for?

Many thanks, Stephen. I'm suppose I'm aiming for somewhere around the early-mid 20s when a rake of these might plausibly be mingled with S&D blue carriages, but I confess I'm really not all that clued up on them. I seem to remember that the kits include two lengths of buffers but I kept them short so that I could couple the vehicles reasonably close together.

The lining is really only acceptable from normal viewing distance but I hope to get better with time. Ultimately I have eight etched S&D coaches to do.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

I seem to remember that the kits include two lengths of buffers but I kept them short so that I could couple the vehicles reasonably close together.

Slaters still sell the sprung buffers from their Midland 6-wheelers as a separate item, 4912. They are a good match. The Ratio underframe moulding includes long and short buffers; the short buffers are appropriate for the Bain suburbans (excepting the brake ends). The Ratio clerestories pretty much represent early-mid 20s condition, with the door toplights replaced by ventilators, single set of steps at each end, etc. The section of roof below the rainstrip was almost certainly painted black and varnished, as in Midland days. In the early 30s, lower stepboards were removed, except on the bogie at the brake end. 

• Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

An ingenious solution for sorting out the running of a J39..........

Regards,

Tony. 

I added tender pickups to one of my Bachmann J39s and that sorted it. The others I have are in their boxes as there's no room on the layout given I prefer to run my large (and ever expanding) variety of kit built locos, so I've never bothered with the others!

Andrew

7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I added tender pickups to one of my Bachmann J39s and that sorted it. The others I have are in their boxes as there's no room on the layout given I prefer to run my large (and ever expanding) variety of kit built locos, so I've never bothered with the others!

Andrew

Good morning Andrew,

'The others I have are in their boxes as there's no room on the layout given I prefer to run my large (and ever expanding) variety of kit built locos, so I've never bothered with the others!'

I think that's true of many who build their own locomotives. It's certainly the case with me. Despite the excellence of today's RTR locos (though the Bachmann J39's mechanism isn't the best now), even though I spend a fair amount of time detailing/altering/renumbering/renaming/weathering them (and writing about it), the end results are hardly ever used and spend their subsequent existences in boxes or drawers; so much so that I sell many on! 

I know when visitors come (and, thankfully, they're returning), when LB is operated it's almost always completely with locos I've built. That's not to say they're better than RTR equivalents (though they do pull more); in some cases (many?) they're probably not (my antiquated scratch-built O1 compared with Hornby's modified one, for instance), but they all have a personal story I can tell.

Yes, I can tell the tale of how I altered an RTR loco, but it's not the same in my view. 

Is it arrogance? Is it pomposity? However, I always make sure it's made clear if the locos I've built have been painted/weathered by someone else. That is absolutely vital to the process.

Somehow the modified RTR ones don't have the same 'appeal'. At least not to me.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Apparently Hornby is delighted with my modifications/detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering its locos. So much so that my images will be used by the firm...........

Here's a selection.................

2147432027_60008panning01.jpg.778d65199ca43b13b29c1f71d5d07e51.jpg

Altered/detailed by me and a complete repaint by Ian Rathbone.

A pity about the slidebars being inclined in the wrong direction.

874910446_60018onUpexpress.jpg.da60a810768d2d457409bd0660742296.jpg

Just scale 'plates added, and weathered by me. 

I no longer own this A4.

1060471891_60032onElizabethan.jpg.659cc31a3ef8972067bde62c1582cad0.jpg

Similarly with 60032, this one renumbered/renamed.

17879687_A460017Hornby.jpg.03b3e89b932b52f6eed52a02a2db7586.jpg

And 60017.

The new owners of 60018, 60032 and 60017 are very happy with them.

292164446_60054panning01.jpg.c34628b7ddd634062ddd5f72b446374f.jpg

Detailed/renumbered/renamed by me, and weathered by Tom Foster. 

1630616976_60077panning.jpg.004cdc6551bd8442d6de050ffc7a5c04.jpg

Detailed/altered by me, and weathered by Tom Wright. 

835124920_60502panning.jpg.5a9f1921d5c80084545325819f024687.jpg

The subject of my article in the next BRM. 

70036.jpg.34fbe11b84716f0ef2e31d588f4bae57.jpg

1726042967_HornbyBritannia70036.jpg.a83b5feffb30f52254d60d7eb1affd6c.jpg

1566130098_70036panning.jpg.5a8a8ce401baf4ab2c0229cb8e1249e5.jpg

Detailed/renumbered/renamed by me, and weathered by Tom Wright.

1426268064_61175panning.jpg.c9f952dbaeddb3efd0aa8930f86a5190.jpg

And a B1. Detailed/renumbered by me, and weathered by Tom Foster.

386217627_63786panning.jpg.312e280fe1833d05fbad161345ac6c7f.jpg

Finally an O1. Detailed/renumbered/weathered by me. 

I think what these images show is how (with just a bit of work) these Hornby RTR locos can make perfectly-acceptable 'layout locos', even though I hardly ever use them. 

18 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Apparently Hornby is delighted with my modifications/detailing/renumbering/renaming/weathering its locos. So much so that my images will be used by the firm...........

Here's a selection.................

2147432027_60008panning01.jpg.778d65199ca43b13b29c1f71d5d07e51.jpg

Altered/detailed by me and a complete repaint by Ian Rathbone.

A pity about the slidebars being inclined in the wrong direction.

874910446_60018onUpexpress.jpg.da60a810768d2d457409bd0660742296.jpg

Just scale 'plates added, and weathered by me. 

I no longer own this A4.

1060471891_60032onElizabethan.jpg.659cc31a3ef8972067bde62c1582cad0.jpg

Similarly with 60032, this one renumbered/renamed.

17879687_A460017Hornby.jpg.03b3e89b932b52f6eed52a02a2db7586.jpg

And 60017.

The new owners of 60018, 60032 and 60017 are very happy with them.

292164446_60054panning01.jpg.c34628b7ddd634062ddd5f72b446374f.jpg

Detailed/renumbered/renamed by me, and weathered by Tom Foster. 

1630616976_60077panning.jpg.004cdc6551bd8442d6de050ffc7a5c04.jpg

Detailed/altered by me, and weathered by Tom Wright. 

835124920_60502panning.jpg.5a9f1921d5c80084545325819f024687.jpg

The subject of my article in the next BRM. 

70036.jpg.34fbe11b84716f0ef2e31d588f4bae57.jpg

1726042967_HornbyBritannia70036.jpg.a83b5feffb30f52254d60d7eb1affd6c.jpg

1566130098_70036panning.jpg.5a8a8ce401baf4ab2c0229cb8e1249e5.jpg

Detailed/renumbered/renamed by me, and weathered by Tom Wright.

1426268064_61175panning.jpg.c9f952dbaeddb3efd0aa8930f86a5190.jpg

And a B1. Detailed/renumbered by me, and weathered by Tom Foster.

386217627_63786panning.jpg.312e280fe1833d05fbad161345ac6c7f.jpg

Finally an O1. Detailed/renumbered/weathered by me. 

I think what these images show is how (with just a bit of work) these Hornby RTR locos can make perfectly-acceptable 'layout locos', even though I hardly ever use them. 

Some of those shots remind me of M. Mensing's ( I think that's his name) prototype shots. Just what the ECML is all about.

• Like 3

It's wonderful to have guests visiting Little Bytham again.

Today, it was the turn three old friends (two others just showed their faces for a time - all of us distanced, of course!).

For much of the time I left them to it, and a great time was had by all. In typical Wright fashion, two were 'castigated' for poor operation, only for me to trump their mistakes in the grandest manner. I set a road incorrectly, then set another road incorrectly, then operated a point underneath a train and then threw the wrong switch! Isn't it great when critics get 'egg on their faces'? 

Throughout it all, the trainset performed perfectly.............

Thanks Keith, thanks Ray, thanks Sandra, and thanks for your donations to CRUK.  What a great day! 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If I were in your position Clive I'd leave it as is as well.  This is part of railway modelling history, if we all bin these things from our past as "embarrassing", we will erase that history and blur the memories. 

I also keep some Tri-ang,1970s Hornby and Lima stock to remind me of what was current when I was a small boy flicking through catalogues, dreaming.  Many of them, I can remember the long-closed shop I got them from on a family holiday, or how they were a surprise Christmas/Birthday gifts; getting rid of them would be like throwing my childhood in a skip.

There are always suggestions that we should trade in our old models (often in magazines with lots of traders adverts, funnily enough) to buy the newer, better-detailed versions, but where are the memories in the new boxes, because I can never find them?

One of the by-products of the move from traditional analogue to digital control of layouts, not often discussed, is the occasional loss of such history.  A good friend, now deceased, had a fine layout which represented over 50 years of his participation in the hobby. There were kit-built locomotives and items of rolling stock from the 1960s, some of the former on their second or third chassis.  These rubbed shoulders with modified and detailed  modern proprietary items.  Over the years early H & M controllers had been superseded by ECM Compspeeds.  H & M point motors were still in use but modifications or additions to the layout used more modern twin-coil machines.  Everything was beautifully observed and modelled.  Engagement with that modelling history was one of the attractions of visiting David's layout which was, until his death, under analogue control.

Although I have far less investment in such history, my locomotive stock includes kit-builds from Ks, Gem and M & L, proprietary bodies on brass chassis, and even a couple of the much maligned Bachmann split chassis still happily rolling under detailed, painted and weathered bodies. When I contemplated a move to digital control  I knew that, realistically, I would never fit decoders into all these engines.  But I didn't want them to become "shelf queens" as happens to many locomotives as a result of an owner's move to DCC. They are respectable models, they represent considerable investment of time, effort and cash, and are part of my modelling story.  Furthermore, occasional visitors to the layout have said that they appreciate the variety of stock in operation.

My answer was to set up my existing layout for both analogue and digital train control. This isn't the place for a lengthy dissertation on how I managed this, although it wasn't that difficult.  The outcome has been that my "historic" locomotive stock continues to operate under analogue control while new additions (or visitors) can be run under digital control. It has worked well for nearly two years.  

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I chap I knew in Doncaster, Bill Oldroyd, used to do these sorts of conversions. The old Princess would become a Jubilee, a Royal Scot or a Black 5 (and many others) and the A3 became a V2.

He wrote a couple, at least, up for the magazines, probably Railway Modeller. The Caprotti Black 5 may well have been one of them.

I look at that and wonder if it was one of his.

He passed away quite a while ago and I never knew what happened to his models. He had hundreds of locos to a similar standard.

He also used to be just about the worst exhibition critic I ever knew. He would come to many shows with a friend and they would stand in front of a layout picking every fault they could find, in loud voices, to each other, so that everybody else could hear. "Do you see that?" "That loco should never have that sort of dome". "That signal wouldn't be there". "That grass is the wrong colour for that time of year." Just about anything they could think of to run down the exhibit. They are the main reason why I have always disliked drawing public attention to things that others have done wrong. A private word is fine but you don't need to tell the world.

I hope I am not crossing any taste boundaries but my co-exhibitor once said that they should be wearing a bra because they were nothing but a pair of knockers.

Cross as many 'taste boundaries' as you like Tony,

We're in danger (as a society) of eventually not being allowed to say anything in case it 'offends'. 

I've had many examples of loud-voiced critics when I've been exhibiting. Those with the loudest voices (and mine is considerably so) often (more often) have the least useful things to say. Those 'in the know' will point something out which they know to be wrong, but in a discreet, personal way. The late George Pring was a great help to the Stoke Summit project in that regard.

I suppose I was (still am?) in a privileged position to respond to the 'gob-sh*tes'. I'd merely request I return home with them and be allowed to photograph their peerless (and beyond criticism) creations. Did any of them ever take up the offer? Guess what?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Anyway, here's the Triplane and Vickers (hewn from solid bar and sheet material, the corrugated barrel jacket was fun!) presented with a modicum of pride but hopefully no arrogance

Does it work then? The machine gun, not the aeroplane! Handy device for deterring layout critic g0bsh$tes and any other ne'er-do-wells in the vicinity. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Does it work then? The machine gun, not the aeroplane! Handy device for deterring layout critic g0bsh$tes and any other ne'er-do-wells in the vicinity. 

Not the Mk1 but the Mk2 might :lol: 

The complete project (technically incomplete - as you can see I still haven't finished it!) has been most educational. I effectively have a complete set of Sopwith drawings for every last bit of the full-size aeroplane to work from and now have a real understanding of its construction.   Indeed I've even given a couple of lectures on the subject with the proceeds being donated to the Shuttleworth Collection.  

Similarly, I knew nothing of machine guns and their bits and pieces and whilst I'm still far from knowledgable on the subject you can't help picking up knowledge as you try and work out how to make each bit.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1