Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Totally agree Clive and my file contains a note to expect a 30% return on the models and a 15% return on the books.  To me it is completely irrelevant to but to a surviving relative that is important information and most particularly does not raise expectations.

It will also assist your executor(s) to fulfil their statutory obligations with respect to realising the value of your estate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It will also assist your executor(s) to fulfil their statutory obligations with respect to realising the value of your estate.

Having acted as executor three times so far, this is precisely why I have documented my own affairs in the way that I have.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Apologies for setting off a death-related discussion.

it is important though that those who inevitably have to sort things out have some idea of what to do and whether things might have value.

In the case I am assisting with, which is not a death, the family had absolutely no idea what might be important or valuable. Fortunately, I was able to help, especially regarding the railway documents, with the simple message that if it's old, brown or yellowing and looks a bit tatty, it's probably important and not to be thrown away.

Similarly with all the model railway stock, there was some surprise when I mentioned some ballpark numbers about what it might sell for if dealt with sensibly, and that was an underestimate as there is a lot more stock than I thought there was initially. I'm writing this surrounded by boxes containing 38 maroon Bachmann Mark 1s for example. All are the older ones with ribbed roofs but the maroon livery was better on those. They are all boxed and look as good as new apart from one where the glazing has fallen out - not an uncommon problem and easily fixed. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

I will try to bring the thread back round to a more uplifting tone. This is my latest ‘indulgent’ acquisition - a 7mm brass kit of an A3. I had been tempted by the Hattons examples but they seem to have a reputation for breaking down, so when I saw this on eBay I went for it and got it for less than a Hattons equivalent. 

E078887C-48D5-4FB2-89FB-F371C9030874.jpeg.814e5c66e698ab44b9fd42d8f43708eb.jpeg

B2244E6E-0A11-4DAD-B60A-52E17A2C769C.jpeg.b8b9300497281260ca147e40163800d1.jpeg

BFD9F0AB-1B16-457C-893A-B7AEE911117C.jpeg.e96831bda25bb5af1205ac7c7d300f0d.jpeg

DF0E06FB-A5A3-4424-812E-E0323BC18B67.jpeg.2c43caca85977404c516a5a6e100fc74.jpeg

It seems to me to be very well built and painted, although I suspect one of our more discerning contributors will tell me it’s in ‘mushy mint’ livery. The execution of the paint job is too good for me to consider repainting, so it will have to stay. It runs beautifully with a Portescap RG7 motor. The only fault I’ve found so far is the missing vac pipe at the front. However, I’m sure I’ve missed something, so if anyone can spot other tweaks required, please let me know.

Also, if anyone has any idea of the provenance of the kit I’d love to know. The ad stated ‘Probably made by DJH’. It’s built to what I would call a professional standard but probably not DJH factory standard, so while it may be a DJH kit, I don’t think it was built by them. 

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Grammar
  • Like 18

The shapes and narrow spacing of the frames at the front, the small centre portions to the superheater header covers, and the seemingly exaggerated shapes of the cylinder wrappers make me doubt that it is all DJH, if any of it is.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I will try to bring the thread back round to a more uplifting tone. This is my latest ‘indulgent’ acquisition - a 7mm brass kit of an A3. I had been tempted by the Hattons examples but they seem to have a reputation for breaking down, so when I saw this on eBay I went for it and got it for less than a Hattons equivalent. 

E078887C-48D5-4FB2-89FB-F371C9030874.jpeg.814e5c66e698ab44b9fd42d8f43708eb.jpeg

B2244E6E-0A11-4DAD-B60A-52E17A2C769C.jpeg.b8b9300497281260ca147e40163800d1.jpeg

BFD9F0AB-1B16-457C-893A-B7AEE911117C.jpeg.e96831bda25bb5af1205ac7c7d300f0d.jpeg

DF0E06FB-A5A3-4424-812E-E0323BC18B67.jpeg.2c43caca85977404c516a5a6e100fc74.jpeg

It seems to me to be very well built and painted, although I suspect one of our more discerning contributors will tell me it’s in ‘mushy mint’ livery. The execution of the paint job is too good for me to consider repainting, so it will have to stay. It runs beautifully with a Portescap RG7 motor. The only fault I’ve found so far is the missing vac pipe at the front. However, I’m sure I’ve missed something, so if anyone can spot other tweaks required, please let me know.

Also, if anyone has any idea of the provenance of the kit I’d love to know. The ad stated ‘Probably made by DJH’. It’s built to what I would call a professional standard but probably not DJH factory standard, so while it may be a DJH kit, I don’t think it was built by them. 

Andy

I'd agree with Graeme, Andy.

I don't think any part of it is DJH (though what it is, I have no idea). 

You'll need to paint the buffer stocks black. 

And, you'll either have to change its identity or change its tender. FLAMINGO (according to the RCTS) never ran with that style of high-sided non-corridor tender. It had either a GN type, 1928 corridor type or streamlined non-corridor type, dependent on period. With her large rear cut-outs to the cab, it should either be a GN tender or an A1/A3 corridor tender. 

Though built/painted to what you call a 'professional' standard, clearly the builder/painter didn't do his/her research. 

Buyer beware!

Regards,

Tony. 

Though it might seem lugubrious, the suggestions made of late regarding what happens to our models after we're gone is very pertinent. 

I've certainly made a list, and I'm in the process of taking a 'studio' shot of all my locomotives. 

I'm also under no illusions as to how much my number of kit-/scratch-built locos made by me (many, professionally-painted) might be worth. Anyone interested in them in the main will be of my generation. And, that potential list of buyers is diminishing at an all-too-alarming rate!

My thanks to all those who've expressed an interest in the list of kits I posted. Interestingly, anything by Comet or DJH has proved to be of more appeal, but the Brassmasters' stuff has elicited only two expressions of interest.

Potentially too expensive? Or, too difficult (or should I say complex?) to put together?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

I had the sad job of selling off my brothers models , I sold them on eBay , first my sister in law who would only sell the unmade kits ,then I sold the kit built locos for my nephew , who I’am sorry to say rubbed his hands together with the thought of the value , I had to tell him what his father had told him in the past no longer applied as most of these kits were now available in RTR  ! 

The only one that attracted a good price was a 47xx which two bidders wanted , but that wouldn’t be the case now with the RTR version available.

So regarding my collection, I enjoy what I have , when I’am gone   well que-sera- sera .

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

My reaction to the unfolding Covid situation last year, despite being of good health and in my mid thirties, was to make out a quick crib sheet of what I had and where my family could seek help in either selling or finding good homes for my models if the worst happened.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

My thanks to all those who've expressed an interest in the list of kits I posted. Interestingly, anything by Comet or DJH has proved to be of more appeal, but the Brassmasters' stuff has elicited only two expressions of interest.

Potentially too expensive? Or, too difficult (or should I say complex?) to put together?

Yes, both.  As far as I know the Brassmasters kit is the 'best' route to a long firebox Jubilee - a loco that is very conspicuous by its absence on my layout.  Too difficult for my skill levels (now and in the short to medium term) and too expensive to break into a source of parts to mix with other kits or models.  It seems Corkerhill will continue to be sending it's Jubilees out on other diagrams meantime.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

And, you'll either have to change its identity or change its tender. FLAMINGO (according to the RCTS) never ran with that style of high-sided non-corridor tender. It had either a GN type, 1928 corridor type or streamlined non-corridor type, dependent on period. With her large rear cut-outs to the cab, it should either be a GN tender or an A1/A3 corridor tender. 

Though built/painted to what you call a 'professional' standard, clearly the builder/painter didn't do his/her research. 

Buyer beware!

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for your comments Tony. I had noted the buffer stocks - they’ve been pointed out to me on other locos in the past. It does seem to be a common mistake.

As you’ve commented before, research and execution are two different things and the former is not always done well by the builder. I was thinking of changing the number anyway as Flamingo was a Carlisle engine which doesn’t really suit me (although I like the name!). 

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Buyer beware!

Regards,

Tony. 

I'd also add that its unlikely it ever had a streamlined dome pre-war and certainly not with the large cut outs in the cab.

Sorry Andy.

Andrew

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I'd also add that its unlikely it ever had a streamlined dome pre-war and certainly not with the large cut outs in the cab.

Sorry Andy.

Andrew

Oh dear! It looks like it had a 94HP boiler until 1944 which I think means you are right. I’m more used to the 1950s where streamlined domes were the norm. Looks like I will have to do some careful engine picking. I’m not familiar with the issue about cab cut outs. When did they start? Is there a list of which locos had them?

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I don't think so, Rich, having just looked.

Please try and PM me again.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony,

Ok thanks - hopefully I'm not too late with the one I am interested in. You did give me your email address previously so I have re-sent it that way.

thank you,

RIchard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Oh dear! It looks like it had a 94HP boiler until 1944 which I think means you are right. I’m more used to the 1950s where streamlined domes were the norm. Looks like I will have to do some careful engine picking. I’m not familiar with the issue about cab cut outs. When did they start? Is there a list of which locos had them?

The original A1s and then the A3s were all built with the large cutouts. In mid 1935 alterations to the position of the fireman's seat and the fitting of backs to the seats were undertaken. At the same time the cutout was reduced by 11" to provide protection to the backs of the seats (RCTS). At each locos next shopping these modifications were undertaken.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Late to the party as usual due to the time difference.....

Going back ever so quickly, sometimes it comes up in conversation amongst my mates, myself and normally around two cases of beer, what would happen to all my stuff if I snuffed it in early. Hears hoping I don’t! Touch wood. 

But all of my mates have said they’d finish building what I had started. Which is amazing that friends who never understood model railways but do now and enjoy playing trains with me would do that for me. 

This actually has me thinking that I should make a will, considering I have an old historic car and a motorcycle. Is 25 too young to make one? 

Amazing how this thread goes from one extreme to another. 

Sorry for side tracking. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/05/2021 at 19:48, uax6 said:

Signalbox lighting is something that I can actually comment on.... On late and night turns it is very rare to have any light on other than the light over the booking desk, I've asked around an this seems to be the case with every bobby I work with, and with the old lags that have retired. Our booking desk is on the back wall and so the frame and block shelf are in semi-darkness with only the indicator lights illuminating them.

Excessive layout lighting is a bit of a bugbear of mine at exhibitions. I think a Victorian built platform and steam trains looks absolutely hideous with dazzling daylight LEDs in gas lamps. Coach lighting is another, especially Mk1 compartment stock where if the light switch was set to dim you could hardly see inside let alone see the interior from outside.

Regarding box lighting, yes they were very dim, often only a couple of gaslights or even oil lights into the 1960s. On this page 

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/SignalBoxInteriors.html 

I remember New Street No.2 being quite well lit, note the lamp over the book and it had about six lights over the frame. Next shot down at Bordesley Junction which was an ARP box it looked as if the Blackout was still in force with one gas light over the book and two over the frame. The two pictures at the bottom show that Lifford still had oil lighting in 1959. I can't remember if it stayed like that until it closed in 1969 but it may have done. The linemans cabin at Curzon Street occupied by my grandfather still had a single gas light inside when it was demolished c1969. A bit incongruous with a 25KV mast outside.

Eric

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

Is 25 too young to make one?

Only if you don't care what happens to your things and don't care if folk end up fighting over them.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Jesse Sim said:

This actually has me thinking that I should make a will, considering I have an old historic car and a motorcycle. Is 25 too young to make one?

Absolutely not; it also leaves scope for leaving sweet FA to those you don't like...:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

If you've never watched "Gran Torino", it gives a great indication of what can happen when an old curmudgeon is treated as a potential meal-ticket by their family.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3